PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Kind of Suck … Which Is Why They Will Win Huge in November

Little-Acorn
10-20-2010, 01:19 PM
A pretty good description.

Republicans had been the party of conservatism and small government... until the Bush administration. Eight years of big spending, deficits by a Republican Congress, and new entitlements spolied a pretty decent record of 130 years of not doing that stuff.

But compared to today's Democrats, Republicans are starting to look good.

The current question is, have Republicans now learned their lesson? Will Republican congressmen change their ways and go back to genuine small government that lives within its means? (Will TEA Party members kicking out Republicans who did all that stuff, accelerate the process?)

---------------------------------------

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/republicans-kind-of-suck-which-is-why-they-will-win-huge-in-november/?singlepage=true

Republicans Kind of Suck … Which Is Why They Will Win Huge in November

Because in the Democratic land of epic, mega, ultra, apocalyptic levels of sucking, those who kinda suck are king.

October 20, 2010 - by Frank J. Fleming

This election season has been hard on pundits. The Democrats are going to get massacred in November, and it’s really obvious to pretty much everyone exactly why — which makes writing political commentary like trying to come up with a long-winded explanation for why two plus two equals four.

Here’s my attempt.

Doesn’t it suck when you have a dog that barks all night? Everyone hates that. It’s annoying. It can even drive you pretty crazy if it goes on long enough. People hate that.

Know what also sucks? A zombie apocalypse. That’s when society collapses due to some spreading zombie virus, and most of your friends and family are dead, and you have to scrounge for food to survive while the walking dead threaten you around every corner. People also hate that.

So, we’re all agreed that a barking dog and a zombie apocalypse both suck. Everyone following so far?

Now let’s look at what led us to the political situation we’re in. During the second term of the Bush presidency people just got fed up with Republicans. They were idiots, they were no good at the whole fiscal conservatism thing (which is sort of the whole point of them), we had these wars that seemed to be going nowhere, and the economy was beginning to fail. They sucked, and people were sick and tired of them.

Thus people turned to the Democrats. And Obama.

Let’s just say they also sucked.

AMERICANS: “So, the economy is pretty bad and there’s high employment. You think you can do something about that?”

DEMOCRATS AND OBAMA: “We can spend a trillion dollars we don’t have on pork and stuff.”

AMERICANS: “No … that’s not what we want. We’d really like you not to do that.”

DEMOCRATS: “You’re stupid. We’re doing it anyway.”

AMERICANS: “That’s not going to help us get jobs!”

DEMOCRATS: “Sure it will; millions of them … though they may be invisible. You’ll have to trust us they exist. And guess what else we’ll do: We’ll create a giant new government program to take over health care.”

AMERICANS: “That has nothing to do with jobs!”

DEMOCRATS: “We don’t care about that anymore. We really want a giant new health care program. We’re sure you’ll love it.”

AMERICANS: “Don’t pass that bill. You hear me? Absolutely do not pass that bill.”

DEMOCRATS: “Believe me; you’ll love it. It has … well, I don’t know what exactly is in the bill, but we’re sure it’s great.”

AMERICANS: “Listen to me: DO. NOT. PASS. THAT. BILL.”

DEMOCRATS: “You’re not the boss of me! We’re doing it anyway!”

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Kathianne
10-20-2010, 01:24 PM
I really doubt Republicans have learned, but they will in 2012, when they will be gone.

I think both parties assume that after the election those tea party folks will go away, think again. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

gabosaurus
10-20-2010, 02:04 PM
I am hoping that Republican candidates win big in November. Including a bunch of teabaggers. I hope the GOP takes control of both the House and Senate.
Why? Because right now, many are on the outside looking in. They are harnessing the anger aimed at an ineffective Congress unable to solve the myriad of problems left by the previous administration. People want a short term solution, of which there is none.
The nation's economic problems are going to continue, no matter who is elected. They might even get worse. Same with international issues with terrorism and such. Let the GOP and teabagger candidates get slapped in the face for a while.
It won't take long for things to blow up in their face as well. Then the anger will snap back at those who have made big promises and are unable to fulfill them.

When will the voter anger be manifested next? In the 2012 elections.

Kathianne
10-20-2010, 02:28 PM
I am hoping that Republican candidates win big in November. Including a bunch of teabaggers. I hope the GOP takes control of both the House and Senate.
Why? Because right now, many are on the outside looking in. They are harnessing the anger aimed at an ineffective Congress unable to solve the myriad of problems left by the previous administration. People want a short term solution, of which there is none.
The nation's economic problems are going to continue, no matter who is elected. They might even get worse. Same with international issues with terrorism and such. Let the GOP and teabagger candidates get slapped in the face for a while.
It won't take long for things to blow up in their face as well. Then the anger will snap back at those who have made big promises and are unable to fulfill them.

but not what you think. Those elected that don't do the will of the people, yes, you're correct. Those that stand up and those newly running, going to be a sea change.

Will they be Republican? Somehow I doubt it. I KNOW they won't be Democrat.

SassyLady
10-20-2010, 02:31 PM

Gabby, I agree with you on the 2012 elections. I believe the anger that voters are experiencing now will continue to escalate until all seats in Congress have been purged. Congress is infected with corruption and it needs to be confronted head on ... which means getting all the current players out and putting in a new team. And.............if that team doesn't play honestly, then the anger will continue.

I don't think America can afford to be complacent ever again. The liberal progressives have gained too much power over the last 50 years and it's going to take awhile to get our balance back.

Kathianne
10-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Gabby, I agree with you on the 2012 elections. I believe the anger that voters are experiencing now will continue to escalate until all seats in Congress have been purged. Congress is infected with corruption and it needs to be confronted head on ... which means getting all the current players out and putting in a new team. And.............if that team doesn't play honestly, then the anger will continue.

I don't think America can afford to be complacent ever again. The liberal progressives have gained too much power over the last 50 years and it's going to take awhile to get our balance back.

here's my take. The 'people' are looking for security both at home and abroad. We're threatened on both fronts.

They are looking economically for lower unemployment numbers, not higher government hiring numbers.

fj1200
10-21-2010, 01:35 PM

The economic problems depend on what legislation is pushed through.

There are some elections that are more worth winning than others, this is a perfect election for Repubs to win just as the last one was perfect for Dems to win. In '08 the economy was so down that only complete incompetence by the winning party would it NOT be worth winning; The Dems completely blew their opportunity by ramming through their agenda which was ineffective and overreaching. Nothing they did was positive for economic growth which is why they are about to get routed.

If your wish comes through and the Reps win both houses and push through extending the Bush tax cuts AND BO signs on then they can show success in a growing economy; BO then plays the Clinton card for '12. If BO DOESN'T sign then the Reps claim sluggish growth is because the president is vetoing their efforts.

The Republicans are in the cat birds seat this time around and just need to stay focused on a pro-growth agenda.

Pagan
10-21-2010, 02:59 PM
The economic problems depend on what legislation is pushed through.

There are some elections that are more worth winning than others, this is a perfect election for Repubs to win just as the last one was perfect for Dems to win. In '08 the economy was so down that only complete incompetence by the winning party would it NOT be worth winning; The Dems completely blew their opportunity by ramming through their agenda which was ineffective and overreaching. Nothing they did was positive for economic growth which is why they are about to get routed.

If your wish comes through and the Reps win both houses and push through extending the Bush tax cuts AND BO signs on then they can show success in a growing economy; BO then plays the Clinton card for '12. If BO DOESN'T sign then the Reps claim sluggish growth is because the president is vetoing their efforts.

The Republicans are in the cat birds seat this time around and just need to stay focused on a pro-growth agenda.

Let's see if the GOP knows how to be Conservative again, I'm rather skeptical for spending and power are tough drug to kick. Let's see if they've been able to detox and have kicked the addiction.

Let's all remember the words from the Great One himself -

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. From time to time we've been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. Well, if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?

-- Ronald Reagan

Trigg
10-21-2010, 05:25 PM

I do hope you realize that dems have been in control of congress since 2006.

Dems have controlled congress and the White House for 2 years. When is bambam going to have to take responsibility for his failings?????????

I hope and pray the Nov. elections show Washington that the majority of Americans don't want the kind of hope and change that they're shoveling.

fj1200
10-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Let's see if the GOP knows how to be Conservative again, I'm rather skeptical for spending and power are tough drug to kick. Let's see if they've been able to detox and have kicked the addiction.

Let's all remember the words from the Great One himself -

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. From time to time we've been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. Well, if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?

-- Ronald Reagan

Troof.

I posit that someone could get elected simply by running old Reagan speeches and commercials... esp. from the 60's

revelarts
10-22-2010, 12:56 PM

That's hinge point for both parties.

"Your not the boss of me.."

I don't think the republicans have changed much at all.
they could do more now if they where serious.
They could write the legislation now and have the people see it, before they get in power. Which looks likely.
I hope I'm wrong about the new crowd going in but I'm not holding my breath.

ALL Incumbents must GO!!

fj1200
10-23-2010, 06:25 AM
I don't think the republicans have changed much at all.

From the 90's Republicans or the 00's Republicans?

Kathianne
10-23-2010, 06:58 AM
From the 90's Republicans or the 00's Republicans?

I don't thing the Republican ruling class has changed at all. Now those who view themselves as 'Republicans'? I don't think there are that many anymore. Conservatives? Yes, but not in the way that Republicans claim conservative.

I'd say that Republican identifying folks are more religious and tend more towards far right, than many others that also see themselves as conservatives.

I am much more identifying with the more loosely defined tea parties for those reasons. While personally religious, I don't want/need to make that an issue, though I take my beliefs with me into the voting booth. I do not expect everyone to agree with my beliefs and am not in the business of alienating anyone who views God and his teachings different than I do.

I would not support many 'liberal ideas,' but I don't see most liberals as evil, more uninformed.

I want much less government at the Federal level. I'm strongly in favor of anyone who wants to see 'social programs' managed locally, especially through private administration and funding. I'm for helping those in need, I'm against the establishment of a dependent, permanent underclass, which is what the Democrat party has been creating for the past 80 years at least.

Mr. P
10-23-2010, 07:30 AM
I don't thing the Republican ruling class has changed at all. Now those who view themselves as 'Republicans'? I don't think there are that many anymore. Conservatives? Yes, but not in the way that Republicans claim conservative.

I'd say that Republican identifying folks are more religious and tend more towards far right, than many others that also see themselves as conservatives.

I am much more identifying with the more loosely defined tea parties for those reasons. While personally religious, I don't want/need to make that an issue, though I take my beliefs with me into the voting booth. I do not expect everyone to agree with my beliefs and am not in the business of alienating anyone who views God and his teachings different than I do.

I would not support many 'liberal ideas,' but I don't see most liberals as evil, more uninformed.

I want much less government at the Federal level. I'm strongly in favor of anyone who wants to see 'social programs' managed locally, especially through private administration and funding. I'm for helping those in need, I'm against the establishment of a dependent, permanent underclass, which is what the Democrat party has been creating for the past 80 years at least.
With ya 99.9% on this. For yrs I've thought the "Moral Majority" pulled the party way to far right causing many conservatives to bail.

Kathianne
10-23-2010, 07:36 AM
With ya 99.9% on this. For yrs I've thought the "Moral Majority" pulled the party way to far right causing many conservatives to bail.

I have to concur. I balk at those that are arguing for teaching ID in science classes. I do not want public schools teaching my kids religion, whether I agree with those lessons or not. Using religious literature in literature class. Sure. Teaching basic tenants of major religions in philosophy or comparative religions class? Sure.

Some of what I think the far right wants would be detrimental to the fabric of our society. So while I'm probably 90% with them on most issues, that 10% has always given me pause.

Gaffer
10-23-2010, 08:49 AM
I have to concur. I balk at those that are arguing for teaching ID in science classes. I do not want public schools teaching my kids religion, whether I agree with those lessons or not. Using religious literature in literature class. Sure. Teaching basic tenants of major religions in philosophy or comparative religions class? Sure.

Some of what I think the far right wants would be detrimental to the fabric of our society. So while I'm probably 90% with them on most issues, that 10% has always given me pause.

I feel the same. I was always turned off by the moral majority. It was the one thing that made me look more closely at democrats. I never liked em, but the moral majority made me nervous.

Kathianne
10-23-2010, 09:58 AM
I feel the same. I was always turned off by the moral majority. It was the one thing that made me look more closely at democrats. I never liked em, but the moral majority made me nervous.

I'm quite certain many good people disagree with us, but it is what it is.

Libertarian94
10-23-2010, 03:15 PM
A pretty good description.

Republicans had been the party of conservatism and small government... until the Bush administration. Eight years of big spending, deficits by a Republican Congress, and new entitlements spolied a pretty decent record of 130 years of not doing that stuff.

But compared to today's Democrats, Republicans are starting to look good.

The current question is, have Republicans now learned their lesson? Will Republican congressmen change their ways and go back to genuine small government that lives within its means? (Will TEA Party members kicking out Republicans who did all that stuff, accelerate the process?)

---------------------------------------

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/republicans-kind-of-suck-which-is-why-they-will-win-huge-in-november/?singlepage=true

Republicans Kind of Suck … Which Is Why They Will Win Huge in November

Because in the Democratic land of epic, mega, ultra, apocalyptic levels of sucking, those who kinda suck are king.

October 20, 2010 - by Frank J. Fleming

This election season has been hard on pundits. The Democrats are going to get massacred in November, and it’s really obvious to pretty much everyone exactly why — which makes writing political commentary like trying to come up with a long-winded explanation for why two plus two equals four.

Here’s my attempt.

Doesn’t it suck when you have a dog that barks all night? Everyone hates that. It’s annoying. It can even drive you pretty crazy if it goes on long enough. People hate that.

Know what also sucks? A zombie apocalypse. That’s when society collapses due to some spreading zombie virus, and most of your friends and family are dead, and you have to scrounge for food to survive while the walking dead threaten you around every corner. People also hate that.

So, we’re all agreed that a barking dog and a zombie apocalypse both suck. Everyone following so far?

Now let’s look at what led us to the political situation we’re in. During the second term of the Bush presidency people just got fed up with Republicans. They were idiots, they were no good at the whole fiscal conservatism thing (which is sort of the whole point of them), we had these wars that seemed to be going nowhere, and the economy was beginning to fail. They sucked, and people were sick and tired of them.

Thus people turned to the Democrats. And Obama.

Let’s just say they also sucked.

AMERICANS: “So, the economy is pretty bad and there’s high employment. You think you can do something about that?”

DEMOCRATS AND OBAMA: “We can spend a trillion dollars we don’t have on pork and stuff.”

AMERICANS: “No … that’s not what we want. We’d really like you not to do that.”

DEMOCRATS: “You’re stupid. We’re doing it anyway.”

AMERICANS: “That’s not going to help us get jobs!”

DEMOCRATS: “Sure it will; millions of them … though they may be invisible. You’ll have to trust us they exist. And guess what else we’ll do: We’ll create a giant new government program to take over health care.”

AMERICANS: “That has nothing to do with jobs!”

DEMOCRATS: “We don’t care about that anymore. We really want a giant new health care program. We’re sure you’ll love it.”

AMERICANS: “Don’t pass that bill. You hear me? Absolutely do not pass that bill.”

DEMOCRATS: “Believe me; you’ll love it. It has … well, I don’t know what exactly is in the bill, but we’re sure it’s great.”

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Even under Reagan they werent fiscal conservatives... Reagan had irresponsibly increased deficit to the point Carter looked like a fiscal conservative God. Im sick of GOP lip service to small government and fiscal conservatism. To the GOPers who actually want that demand better your current leaders suck.

Mr. P
10-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Even under Reagan they werent fiscal conservatives... Reagan had irresponsibly increased deficit to the point Carter looked like a fiscal conservative God. Im sick of GOP lip service to small government and fiscal conservatism. To the GOPers who actually want that demand better your current leaders suck.
Did that in 06..where ya been? Going for a new group now and if they don't perform they'll be out too.

Libertarian94
10-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Did that in 06..where ya been? Going for a new group now and if they don't perform they'll be out too.

06? What happened then?

Mr. P
10-23-2010, 04:04 PM
06? What happened then?
Look it up kid. I'm not here to educate you.

Libertarian94
10-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Fuck you then you could be referencing any number of things.

Mr. P
10-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Fuck you then you could be referencing any number of things.
No not anything kid, pay attention to the thread..

Pagan
10-23-2010, 04:40 PM

"Well, I've spent quite a number of years carrying the flag of the 'Old Conservatism.' And I can say with conviction that the religious issues of these groups have little or nothing to do with conservative or liberal politics. The uncompromising position of these groups is a divisive element that could tear apart the very spirit of our representative system, if they gain sufficient strength."

--- Barry Goldwater Sept. 15, 1981 senate speech

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."

-- Barry Goldwater interview with The Post 1994

fj1200
10-23-2010, 09:25 PM
06? What happened then?

The Tigers were in the world series... didn't win. :(

Oh, and there's the small issue of Congressional control in the '80s.

Libertarian94
10-23-2010, 10:04 PM
I do hope you realize that dems have been in control of congress since 2006.

Dems have controlled congress and the White House for 2 years. When is bambam going to have to take responsibility for his failings?????????

I hope and pray the Nov. elections show Washington that the majority of Americans don't want the kind of hope and change that they're shoveling.

:laugh2: You guys could work on your welcome to the forum thing. I miss one post and hell breaks loose honestly guys you could of quoted the posts instead of acting like a bunch of wankers. Really guys no need to be so irritable chill out have a beer.:cheers2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYLsyNBnE5M
:dance: