PDA

View Full Version : Skip Kids School Conference and go to jail for 3 days

SassyLady
10-21-2010, 05:26 AM
And, what do they think will happen if a parent misses three days of work while in jail and having an arrest on their record?! That should really help the family.

Prosecutor wants to punish those who skip kids' school conferences

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

Detroit — Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy is pushing for a law that calls for jail time for parents who skip parent-teacher conferences, a plan some call inspired and others consider the nanny state run amok.
Worthy pitched her plan Tuesday to the Detroit City Council and is shopping it to the Wayne County Commission and state Legislature. Drawing a link between parental involvement and youth crime, Worthy wants a sponsor to guide the idea to law.

Her plan would require parents to attend at least one conference per year or face three days in jail. Parents of those excelling in school would be exempt, as would those whose health issues make travel difficult and those "actively engaged" with teachers through e-mail, phone calls or letters.
"We have to find any means necessary to get parents involved," Worthy told the council. "We have to start talking about prevention

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20101020/METRO/10200350/Worthy-proposes-jail-for-parents-who-skip-kids’-school-conferences#ixzz12zIk5gB5

darin
10-21-2010, 05:28 AM
Detroit is F'd up beyond reason.

Kathianne
10-21-2010, 05:45 AM
I wouldn't go along with 'jail time,' however her stand is not as draconian as the story would make out, there's quite a few exceptions and other means to prove involvement:

...Parents of those excelling in school would be exempt, as would those whose health issues make travel difficult and those "actively engaged" with teachers through e-mail, phone calls or letters...

Perhaps a better idea is removing the children until parents do engage? I know it's not fair to the kids, but one thing uninvolved parents do not want is the kids at home.

darin
10-21-2010, 05:51 AM
...or maybe leave it to parents to decide if their kids are in school? If a parent doesn't want their kid educated, so be it.

Kathianne
10-21-2010, 05:53 AM
...or maybe leave it to parents to decide if their kids are in school? If a parent doesn't want their kid educated, so be it.

That's a possibility. Only problem I have with that is lack of control, it's not like they can work the farm. So if parents go that far, they probably would let them run in gangs during the day.

SassyLady
10-21-2010, 06:03 AM
I wouldn't go along with 'jail time,' however her stand is not as draconian as the story would make out, there's quite a few exceptions and other means to prove involvement:

Perhaps a better idea is removing the children until parents do engage? I know it's not fair to the kids, but one thing uninvolved parents do not want is the kids at home.

Or, you could have someone like my daughter....totally engaged. I think she got on the nerves of the administration at the private school where my grandkids went. She moved one into a charter school .... Basis...and is home schooling the other one.

Kathianne
10-21-2010, 06:07 AM
Or, you could have someone like my daughter....totally engaged. I think she got on the nerves of the administration at the private school where my grandkids went. She moved one into a charter school .... Basis...and is home schooling the other one.

Oh I agree totally. Great parents will do whatever is necessary to help their kids, including homeschooling. No argument from me on that. I totally support those that have the means.

SassyLady
10-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Oh I agree totally. Great parents will do whatever is necessary to help their kids, including homeschooling. No argument from me on that. I totally support those that have the means.

The private school decided that the curriculum would be taught at the level of the lowest performing student in the class so that she wouldn't be left behind. When my daughter said that her son was bored with the school work and it wasn't challenging enough ... she was told to get him a tutor. So, instead of telling the parents of the poor performing child to get a tutor, my daughter was told to get one. She said she was already paying them to teach her son, why should she have to hire another teacher.

Needless to say, her relationship with the school came to an abrupt end. And, she wasn't the only parent to pull their child after that fiasco. And, her kids had been going there since pre-school.

Kathianne
10-21-2010, 06:24 AM
The private school decided that the curriculum would be taught at the level of the lowest performing student in the class so that she wouldn't be left behind. When my daughter said that her son was bored with the school work and it wasn't challenging enough ... she was told to get him a tutor. So, instead of telling the parents of the poor performing child to get a tutor, my daughter was told to get one. She said she was already paying them to teach her son, why should she have to hire another teacher.

Needless to say, her relationship with the school came to an abrupt end. And, she wasn't the only parent to pull their child after that fiasco. And, her kids had been going there since pre-school.

She did the right thing. New principal at that school? Seems quite a few think teaching to the lowest is the way to go. Check out the new thread I'm starting on VA.

SassyLady
10-21-2010, 06:32 AM
She did the right thing. New principal at that school? Seems quite a few think teaching to the lowest is the way to go. Check out the new thread I'm starting on VA.

Very astute Kath....and, it was her daughter that was performing poorly. As another side note, two teachers also quit over the whole incident.

My daughter had been voted Parent of the Year two different times. She was very involved at the school. She made sure her kids teachers always had a birthday party and she made the cakes (you've seen her cakes). She put on a cooking class for the second graders one year ... and they loved it! Then this new "principal" comes in and the whole culture changed.

It's actually for the best. Granddaughter now goes to one of the highest rated schools in the nation and in grandson will be there next year. Granddaughter took Latin last year (5th grade) and is taking physics this year (6th grade).

More here:

http://www.basistucson.org/

Trinity
10-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Speaking of school conferences ......do you recall all the battles I had with my youngest child's school since the 1st grade. Just to refresh your memory he was diagnosed as ODD, ADHD, and a possible mood disorder. There were so many times I went in for conferences and explained what was going on with him and tried to get assistance from the school for him to no avail. Which caused me to pull him out and home school him on a couple of different occasions.

We moved back in April and he told me he wanted to go to this new school. I registered him, he finished up the school year there.

This year he started 6th grade at the Middle School needless to say Jesse still has the same issues concerning his diagnosis and I am now the proud parent of a straight F student. But wait it gets better......

I have been in contact with all of his teachers since school started so they all know what is going on with him, they contacted me to schedule a conference with me, his teachers, the school counselor, and school psychologist for this past wed morning at 6:50am.

I go into to meet with this group thinking there would be about 5 or 6 people there and myself....and thinking ok he we go again a repeat of his prior school, they can't handle him and don't know what to do for him.........oh no they pulled in everybody all of the above listed, plus the intervention team, and a second school counselor, and the school nurse, all together there was about 12 of us.

I must say I was IMPRESSED :dance:, I think we actually found a school that really cares about those students who are struggling with school for whatever reason. They are working on a plan to best help Jesse got accomplished what he needs to. :clap:

Kathianne
10-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Speaking of school conferences ......do you recall all the battles I had with my youngest child's school since the 1st grade. Just to refresh your memory he was diagnosed as ODD, ADHD, and a possible mood disorder. There were so many times I went in for conferences and explained what was going on with him and tried to get assistance from the school for him to no avail. Which caused me to pull him out and home school him on a couple of different occasions.

We moved back in April and he told me he wanted to go to this new school. I registered him, he finished up the school year there.

This year he started 6th grade at the Middle School needless to say Jesse still has the same issues concerning his diagnosis and I am now the proud parent of a straight F student. But wait it gets better......

I have been in contact with all of his teachers since school started so they all know what is going on with him, they contacted me to schedule a conference with me, his teachers, the school counselor, and school psychologist for this past wed morning at 6:50am.

I go into to meet with this group thinking there would be about 5 or 6 people there and myself....and thinking ok he we go again a repeat of his prior school, they can't handle him and don't know what to do for him.........oh no they pulled in everybody all of the above listed, plus the intervention team, and a second school counselor, and the school nurse, all together there was about 12 of us.

I must say I was IMPRESSED :dance:, I think we actually found a school that really cares about those students who are struggling with school for whatever reason. They are working on a plan to best help Jesse got accomplished what he needs to. :clap:

and that is what should happen. Probably should have been done last year, so that he would begin on the right foot, however this is good news! They should write a detailed IEP on what teachers will do focusing on his strengths, while working on weakness.

I hope it all works as planned. Stay on them! This process needs to be addressed the spring before high school, so that there isn't this down time at the beginning.

Trinity
10-22-2010, 11:09 AM
and that is what should happen. Probably should have been done last year, so that he would begin on the right foot, however this is good news! They should write a detailed IEP on what teachers will do focusing on his strengths, while working on weakness.

I hope it all works as planned. Stay on them! This process needs to be addressed the spring before high school, so that there isn't this down time at the beginning.

Right!! I think we have all agreed that if Jesse is not in control he shuts down and they get nothing more out of him, same thing at home.

They are supposed to be working on a plan that will allow Jesse to be in control of his school work, with rewards for accomplishment. Hopefully it works.

Kathianne
10-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Very astute Kath....and, it was her daughter that was performing poorly. As another side note, two teachers also quit over the whole incident.

My daughter had been voted Parent of the Year two different times. She was very involved at the school. She made sure her kids teachers always had a birthday party and she made the cakes (you've seen her cakes). She put on a cooking class for the second graders one year ... and they loved it! Then this new "principal" comes in and the whole culture changed.

It's actually for the best. Granddaughter now goes to one of the highest rated schools in the nation and in grandson will be there next year. Granddaughter took Latin last year (5th grade) and is taking physics this year (6th grade).

More here:

http://www.basistucson.org/

Actually most 'bad schools' have a bad principal. That doesn't preclude having a whackadoodle teacher, but much less likely. When people are in a school as long as your daughter, then run into a problem like that. First guess, principal. :laugh2:

Trinity
10-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Actually most 'bad schools' have a bad principal. That doesn't preclude having a whackadoodle teacher, but much less likely. When people are in a school as long as your daughter, then run into a problem like that. First guess, principal. :laugh2:

Yep I agree I remember last November getting a call from the Principal at Jesse's school she said to me " I have been in the school education system for 20+ years and have never had a child like Jesse, I have no idea what to do for him." I told her "welcome to my world!"

Kathianne
10-23-2010, 03:29 AM
Yep I agree I remember last November getting a call from the Principal at Jesse's school she said to me " I have been in the school education system for 20+ years and have never had a child like Jesse, I have no idea what to do for him." I told her "welcome to my world!"

Whether the kids are 'exceptional,' be it gifted, learning disabled, or even EMD, if the principal is willing to work with parents and teachers, the staff is usually going to be working to the best of their abilities-just like the kids-it's expectations.

When the principal is a downer, even good teachers get complacent, which of course the kids pick up on.

gabosaurus
10-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Some of the responses to this thread are unbelievable. You don't think your kids should have to attend school? You think kids should have the right to sit around the house all day playing video games and stuffing their face with food? What kind of crappy parents are you?

I believe that, when kids are caught truant, their parents should be arrested. It it the parents responsibility to make sure their kids are educated.
I don't think parents should be arrested for missing a teacher conference, but the parent should be picked up and brought to the school. Most problem kids are the fault of the parent(s) and their upbringing. Irresponsible and ignorant parents produce irresponsible and ignorant kids.
I can tell from some of the responses in this thread that some DP kids are doomed to repeat the ignorance and idiocy of their parents.

Pagan
10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Some of the responses to this thread are unbelievable. You don't think your kids should have to attend school? You think kids should have the right to sit around the house all day playing video games and stuffing their face with food? What kind of crappy parents are you?

I believe that, when kids are caught truant, their parents should be arrested. It it the parents responsibility to make sure their kids are educated.
I don't think parents should be arrested for missing a teacher conference, but the parent should be picked up and brought to the school. Most problem kids are the fault of the parent(s) and their upbringing. Irresponsible and ignorant parents produce irresponsible and ignorant kids.
I can tell from some of the responses in this thread that some DP kids are doomed to repeat the ignorance and idiocy of their parents.

So children belong to the State and the State are the ones who dictate the way you raise your family?

darin
10-25-2010, 11:47 AM

this isn't about kids' rights...it's about parental rights. Parents should have the legal authority to keep their kids from school if that's what they choose.

I'd say most problem-children are the result of piss-poor-parenting. Sure.

We 'should' have the 'right' to be a piss-poor-parent if that is defined by keeping our kids from public - or any - school if we decide it's best for them.

Nukeman
10-25-2010, 11:55 AM

I can tell from some of the responses in this thread that some DP kids are doomed to repeat the ignorance and idiocy of their parents.So gabs do we hold the school, teachers and staff responsible for when the kid is dropped off at school and they leave without parental permission. Shoud we arrest all those NON-CARING teachers that just let little junior slide becuase they don't want to deal with them?? Where do YOU draw the line.... Hell anyone who has contact with a delinquent should be arrested after all they all had something to do with how he turned out!?!?!?!!?

Mr. P
10-25-2010, 12:03 PM
One conference per yr. right, that's all they ask? Hey, if they can't make that they shouldn't go to jail..instead they need 3 days in the hospital for sterilization so they don't have any more children to neglect. And they pay the cost!

SassyLady
10-25-2010, 01:16 PM

Really????? Seriously??? You don't think kids start ditching school because of something that happens at school? Like bullying? Or ridcule by a teacher? Or not having a learning disability recognized and reported by a teacher? Kids ditch school more because they don't want to be there more than ditching school because they want to be home. Teachers and schools need to make school a place that is more desirable than the other places they want to be.

If you really think the teachers and schools have no influence then you are just plain ignorant.

darin
10-25-2010, 01:25 PM
In the world of Liberals, "the Educated" are the ultimate example of goodness. Education is close to Godliness (or 'supreme being', if you prefer) in their mind. Educated are infallible.

"Want ppl to make good choices? EDUCATE THEM!" is their rally call.

Liberals, by and large, have NO use for wisdom - which only grows for bad choices.

gabosaurus
10-25-2010, 04:31 PM

Are you serious? Do you have no clue about education laws whatsoever?
Depending on which state you live in, attending school is compulsory until at least the age of 16. Which means you don't have a choice. Unless, like many ConReps, you feel like you are above the law.
One reason why many kids get into trouble in school is because their parents tell them they don't have to listen to anyone. So they don't. They skip school, cause trouble then call their parents to get them out.

Education of our nation's youth is the most important duty our nation has. Kids need to learn responsibility. Even a bunch of brain dead alleged military heroes should realize that.

Kathianne
10-25-2010, 04:50 PM

Gabby, if you think that hauling parents into schools will solve the problem, please buy the bridge from me.

Now we can throw the parents in jail, one option.

We can take the kids away, 2nd option.

We can do the best we can, 3rd option.

Really????? Seriously??? You don't think kids start ditching school because of something that happens at school? Like bullying? Or ridcule by a teacher? Or not having a learning disability recognized and reported by a teacher? Kids ditch school more because they don't want to be there more than ditching school because they want to be home. Teachers and schools need to make school a place that is more desirable than the other places they want to be.

If you really think the teachers and schools have no influence then you are just plain ignorant.

Wow, I'm caught here. There are kids who are survivors. for them, you are on mark. They need the good teachers and schools. Unfortunately most neglected kids are not going to thrive in our society. But I don't think Gabs ideas will work with them either.

Depending on which state you live in, attending school is compulsory until at least the age of 16. Which means you don't have a choice. Unless, like many ConReps, you feel like you are above the law.
One reason why many kids get into trouble in school is because their parents tell them they don't have to listen to anyone. So they don't. They skip school, cause trouble then call their parents to get them out.

Education of our nation's youth is the most important duty our nation has. Kids need to learn responsibility. Even a bunch of brain dead alleged military heroes should realize that.

And Gabby, you should be well aware by now of how well alternative education outlets work. They fail, majorly.

jimnyc
10-25-2010, 05:01 PM

You are asking the members who have posted in this thread if they are aware of education laws, and you are a teacher, no? Hell, even in California it's quite easy to qualify for homeschooling. There are quite a few options other than sending your child to a mandatory school or district. In fact, there are only (7) states that would be considered to have "high regulation" when it comes to homeschooling.

And that's the way it should be - give as much pushing as you can to get children educated - but in the end the decisions are left up to the parents and children.

So while "education" is compulsory, it does not mean that a child MUST be in schools, are out getting in trouble or somehow have terrible parents. Maybe some parents prefer to give their children a higher standard than what their district offers, or maybe some, if they live in certain areas of California, don't want their kids indoctrinated.

jimnyc
10-25-2010, 05:03 PM
BTW - here's my link to the above statements about homeschooling, and the options to parents and children other than the compulsory amount of days in their towns district.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/

darin
10-25-2010, 06:01 PM

What point are you arguing now? It seems when faced with counter points on topic A, you jump to topic B and pretend that was the topic in the first place.

(shrug).

Mr. P
10-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Education of our nation's youth is the most important duty our nation has. Kids need to learn responsibility. Even a bunch of brain dead alleged military heroes should realize that. Why do you choose to spit in the face of every veteran on this board with such a vile disrespectful comment like that? One things for sure, you represent the liberal left well. Keep it up for all to see.

Sorry about the slight derail folks.

SassyLady
10-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Wow, I'm caught here. There are kids who are survivors. for them, you are on mark. They need the good teachers and schools. Unfortunately most neglected kids are not going to thrive in our society. But I don't think Gabs ideas will work with them either.

Kathianne....I was one of those kids. I loved school and fortunately, I had teachers that created a world that I never wanted to leave. However, they were not overcrowded back then and could give more one-on-one time to the students....and our generation were still under corporal punishment rules. The principal was allowed to spank our butts, and then we got another one when we got home, just for getting in trouble in the first place.

If my stepson's teacher, back in the early 80's hadn't brought to our attention that he was probably dyslexic, we would have probably continued on thinking our son was a problem child. Once we had him tested, and put into a program designed for dyslexia, he improved and went on to excel. As a parent, I had never heard of the condition before. This is what I meant by teachers being aware and paying attention ...

DragonStryk72
10-26-2010, 02:32 AM
Okay, focusing on the OP here, that's just insane. It's a clear violation of parental rights. By making it legally compulsory to attend parent-teacher conferences, it essentially makes the school a detention center of sorts.

As to taking your child out of public schools, I'm studying education, and I'm about ready to say that it's not an entirely bad idea. Yes, there are parents who are ill-equipped to teach children, there are bad teachers as well, and in the end, as long as the kid grows up able to fend for themselves, it's all good.

Kathianne
10-26-2010, 04:10 AM
Okay, focusing on the OP here, that's just insane. It's a clear violation of parental rights. By making it legally compulsory to attend parent-teacher conferences, it essentially makes the school a detention center of sorts.

As to taking your child out of public schools, I'm studying education, and I'm about ready to say that it's not an entirely bad idea. Yes, there are parents who are ill-equipped to teach children, there are bad teachers as well, and in the end, as long as the kid grows up able to fend for themselves, it's all good.

Well I'm all for homeschooling, though in all likelihood, parents that fail to show up for conferences, are pretty unlikely to do well at homeschooling. :laugh:

Trinity
10-26-2010, 06:35 PM
I just went back and re-read this thread...Really Gabby you should be ashamed of your self where in this thread did you read anyone saying anything to the affect of
You don't think your kids should have to attend school? You think kids should have the right to sit around the house all day playing video games and stuffing their face with food? What kind of crappy parents are you?

Did they not teach you how to read and comprehend what you were reading when you attended school????

Please point me to that post because I'm not seeing it.