PDA

View Full Version : I went on a vacation for over 2 weeks

chloe
10-22-2010, 08:41 AM
It was real nice, I went to Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky. I really liked Lexington Kentucky alot.

Kathianne
10-22-2010, 08:45 AM
It was real nice, I went to Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky. I really liked Lexington Kentucky alot.
Good for you! I'm so jealous! What were some of the highlights? If you are like dmp or NightTrain, you got pics?

chloe
10-22-2010, 09:14 AM
I don't have a neat camera like those two boys, I got some pics but compared to there landscape photos I must throw in the towel before begining:laugh2:

I liked Lexington Kentucky the best it has rolling hills and lots of trees, Georgetown is nearby and I liked it too. Downtown Cincinati is dirty.

I spent most of my time in Missouri at a family friends house. I went to see my roots. I was born there and had not been there since i was 4 yrs old. I saw the apartment I was born in. I saw my mothers relatives cemetary stones. I saw the school she went to as a little girl and the one bedroom house she grew up in, which is ghetto now. I tried to contact relative from my biological fathers side I have 2 unlces two aunts and cousins in missouri, but they wanted nothing to do with me LOL. I met some online friends and overall it was a very nice time.

Kathianne
10-22-2010, 09:17 AM
I don't have a neat camera like those two boys, I got some pics but compared to there landscape photos I must throw in the towel before begining:laugh2:

I liked Lexington Kentucky the best it has rolling hills and lots of trees, Georgetown is nearby and I liked it too. Downtown Cincinati is dirty.

I spent most of my time in Missouri at a family friends house. I went to see my roots. I was born there and had not been there since i was 4 yrs old. I saw the apartment I was born in. I saw my mothers relatives cemetary stones. I saw the school she went to as a little girl and the one bedroom house she grew up in, which is ghetto now. I tried to contact relative from my biological fathers side I have 2 unlces two aunts and cousins in missouri, but they wanted nothing to do with me LOL. I met some online friends and overall it was a very nice time.

It sounds like a nice trip. Good thing you found that the long lost relatives deserve to stay so. ;)

chloe
10-22-2010, 09:22 AM
It sounds like a nice trip. Good thing you found that the long lost relatives deserve to stay so. ;)

Yep I guess theres a good reason they are not present in my life. In St Louis the zoo is free and so is the Art Musuem, me and my mom really enjoyed the Art Museum, they had sculptures from greece and rome from the years 300-1200 and it was an open display, the sign said please do not touch, I felt like a little kid because I wanted to touch them, but I didn't do it.

Kathianne
10-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Yep I guess theres a good reason they are not present in my life. In St Louis the zoo is free and so is the Art Musuem, me and my mom really enjoyed the Art Museum, they had sculptures from greece and rome from the years 300-1200 and it was an open display, the sign said please do not touch, I felt like a little kid because I wanted to touch them, but I didn't do it.

LOL! My favorite thing to do on vacation is visit the museums. If you ever get to Chicago, one of the very best things about it is that the Art Institute, the Planetarium, The Field Museum of Natural History, and the Chicago Museum are all within walking distance of each other. Find a hotel just South of I-290, (Eisenhower) and at Michigan. Another bonus is you are also within walking distance or a short cab ride to the Gold Coast shopping and a 10 minute walk to State Street. 15 minutes South you have the Museum of Science and Industry and the Oriental Museum of the University of Chicago.

Trinity
10-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Downtown Cincinati is dirty.

:lol: I'll second that.

chloe
10-22-2010, 08:25 PM
:lol: I'll second that.

:laugh2:

It was just mostly so big it scared me, but then so did parts of St Louis.

chloe
10-22-2010, 08:27 PM
LOL! My favorite thing to do on vacation is visit the museums. If you ever get to Chicago, one of the very best things about it is that the Art Institute, the Planetarium, The Field Museum of Natural History, and the Chicago Museum are all within walking distance of each other. Find a hotel just South of I-290, (Eisenhower) and at Michigan. Another bonus is you are also within walking distance or a short cab ride to the Gold Coast shopping and a 10 minute walk to State Street. 15 minutes South you have the Museum of Science and Industry and the Oriental Museum of the University of Chicago.

Chicago would be fun to visit, I do enjoy the art musuems alot, I like to imagine what the artist was like and what the times were like during the artistic creation. It's wonderful. I would realy enjoy all those museums in chicago it sounds like it would be the best place to go for that sort of thing.

Kathianne
10-23-2010, 03:21 AM
:laugh2:

It was just mostly so big it scared me, but then so did parts of St Louis.

Well I've only driven through Cincinnati, but I think downtown Chicago is much larger, I know the buildings are. But it is clean. Like Washington DC, Chicago is a good 'walking' town, as long as the weather is decent.

Gaffer
10-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Chicago is about five times bigger than Cincinnati. I was just down in Cincinnati yesterday. It is dirty compared to other cities I have been in. Not just the trash, but the feeling of old grime.

Kathianne
10-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Chicago is about five times bigger than Cincinnati. I was just down in Cincinnati yesterday. It is dirty compared to other cities I have been in. Not just the trash, but the feeling of old grime.

Daley for all of his misdeeds, has been very good at beautifying the city. It really is gorgeous. Lots of art and parks and flowers, even in the downtown.

Binky
10-23-2010, 10:06 AM

If you ever get to Dallas, go check out the book depository where President Kennedy was shot from. It was made into a musuem strckly to showcase him and his assination. There are lots of photos, and you can stand in front of the window where Oswald supposedly shot him from.... There is tourist memoriabelia as well for sale... Pretty neat actually, they way they have it set up.

darin
10-23-2010, 10:11 AM
If you ever get to Dallas, go check out the book depository where President Kennedy was shot from. It was made into a musuem strckly to showcase him and his assination. There are lots of photos, and you can stand in front of the window where Oswald supposedly shot him from.... There is tourist memoriabelia as well for sale... Pretty neat actually, they way they have it set up.

"allegedly" shot... ;)

I 'shot' these in Dallas a couple years ago

Trinity
10-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Well I've only driven through Cincinnati, but I think downtown Chicago is much larger, I know the buildings are. But it is clean. Like Washington DC, Chicago is a good 'walking' town, as long as the weather is decent.

I wouldn't recommend walking in downtown Cincinnati after 5pm you might get shot. Of course you might get shot before 5 too.

chloe
10-23-2010, 11:13 PM

I used to live in west texas, but it would be neat to see Texas sober. :laugh:

I would love to take a vacation visiting the big cities there someday.

chloe
10-23-2010, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't recommend walking in downtown Cincinnati after 5pm you might get shot. Of course you might get shot before 5 too.

Well there are some good things about it, you and gaffer:salute:

Kathianne
10-24-2010, 05:56 AM

Really? Well neighborhoods in Chicago can be dangerous, no doubt on that. However the downtown area, shopping, theater, and restaurants, never had an issue or heard of anyone that did.

If not for the shopping and culture, I think a city would die.

Binky
10-25-2010, 08:44 AM
"allegedly" shot... ;)

I 'shot' these in Dallas a couple years ago

Oh I'm sure one day there will be those that will try and change history to where his wife Jackie shot him instead. Or something just as ridiculous.

And yep, been there. Looks exactly as I remember it....

Binky
10-25-2010, 08:56 AM

Oddly enough, I've said the same thing about Hollywood when the sun goes down. You can actually see the difference from daylight when it turns to dusk. The creepy elements that inhabit that town come out from under their rocks, crack pipes or whatever and begin strolling the streets in search of those to prey upon. There is lots of traffic but the sidewalks are used by pimps, hookers and the ilk. It's a real creepy feeling to be waiting outside a store for your ride to bring the car around and to see all sorts of vermin come crawling the streets the second the sun goes down.

However, in the daylight it appears to be a beautiful city that glitters and gleems, but has numerous stores that sell cheap crappy touristy junk. All that glitters is not gold....and looks tarnished, so to speak, upon inspection...

gabosaurus
10-25-2010, 11:39 AM

Pretty awesome! Did you drive the whole way? I love driving vacations.
There are unsafe portions of Dallas, as in every large city.

krisy
10-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Really? Well neighborhoods in Chicago can be dangerous, no doubt on that. However the downtown area, shopping, theater, and restaurants, never had an issue or heard of anyone that did.

If not for the shopping and culture, I think a city would die.

I don't think downtown Cincinnati is a whole lot different than other cities. The crime sticks out so bad now because there was a time,not that long ago,when it was nice and pretty safe. When I was a kid,my mom and dad would take us to downtown Cincy at Christmas and we would ride a horse drawn carriage and look at a huge train setup(I think they still have that).

I was just down there a couple of weeks ago at a Reds rally and it was nice. The heart of downtown isn't whats so bad,it's just outside the heart of downtown. Lots of vacant buildings that look really run down.

Kathianne
10-25-2010, 04:26 PM
I don't think downtown Cincinnati is a whole lot different than other cities. The crime sticks out so bad now because there was a time,not that long ago,when it was nice and pretty safe. When I was a kid,my mom and dad would take us to downtown Cincy at Christmas and we would ride a horse drawn carriage and look at a huge train setup(I think they still have that).

I was just down there a couple of weeks ago at a Reds rally and it was nice. The heart of downtown isn't whats so bad,it's just outside the heart of downtown. Lots of vacant buildings that look really run down.

I'm glad to hear that. Is definitely on my list of one of the cities I want to visit. Philadelphia is too, I've heard some smack on that city too.

krisy
10-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm glad to hear that. Is definitely on my list of one of the cities I want to visit. Philadelphia is too, I've heard some smack on that city too.

I heard Philly smells like a giant "pisshole" :laugh

Of course that was from an angry Reds fan on facebook after Phillies fans wouldn't stop horassing us during the playoffs

chloe
10-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Pretty awesome! Did you drive the whole way? I love driving vacations.
There are unsafe portions of Dallas, as in every large city.

I flew into Missouri but we drove to all the other states, it was fun.