PDA

View Full Version : The Difference Between This and Juan Williams?

Kathianne
10-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Silence from the media:

<iframe src="http://videos.mediaite.com/embed/player/?layout=&playlist_cid=&media_type=video&content=RPQ6ND073SXX17T9&read_more=1&widget_type_cid=svp" width="420" height="421" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

SassyLady
10-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Is he considered a comedian ... aren't they allowed to say racist things, call people names, show incredible disrespect for people, etc. and given a pass because they blow it off as comedy?

Juan isn't so I guess he's not protected by the "comedian" rule.

REDWHITEBLUE2
10-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Silence from the media:

<iframe src="http://videos.mediaite.com/embed/player/?layout=&playlist_cid=&media_type=video&content=RPQ6ND073SXX17T9&read_more=1&widget_type_cid=svp" width="420" height="421" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

The Difference is Juan Moonlighted for FOX
Thats a big no no for Liberals
Free Speech only applies if it's a Liberal outlet saying it

fj1200
11-01-2010, 10:15 AM
The difference? He's not going to fire himself from his own show.

SpidermanTUba
11-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Silence from the media:

When did NPR fire Bill Mahr? I didn't even know he worked for them.

Trigg
11-04-2010, 12:52 PM
The difference? He's not going to fire himself from his own show.

When did NPR fire Bill Mahr? I didn't even know he worked for them.

The OP didn't ask if he should be fired nor did she mention NPR.

She asked how this is different from what Juan said, and in my oppinion what Maher said was worse.

SpidermanTUba
11-04-2010, 02:45 PM
The OP didn't ask if he should be fired nor did she mention NPR.

She asked how this is different from what Juan said, and in my oppinion what Maher said was worse.

It isn't. Both are bigoted statements.

What's the point?

Trigg
11-04-2010, 03:13 PM
It isn't. Both are bigoted statements.

What's the point?

The point is, that's what the thread is about.

Maher's statement is definitely bigoted, he doesn't like that there are so many muslims in England.

Juan was talking about post 9-11, and simply stated that he gets nervous when he sees muslims getting on a plane.

SpidermanTUba
11-05-2010, 01:51 PM
The point is, that's what the thread is about.

Maher's statement is definitely bigoted, he doesn't like that there are so many muslims in England.

Juan was talking about post 9-11, and simply stated that he gets nervous when he sees muslims getting on a plane.

And .... ? If Maher had been fired FOX News would have made just as big a stink as they did with Williams. What's your point?

Trigg
11-05-2010, 03:26 PM
And .... ? If Maher had been fired FOX News would have made just as big a stink as they did with Williams. What's your point?

Nope, I don't think so. Since what Maher said was much, much worse than what Juan said.

Maher is upset that there are so many muslim births in England. It has nothing to do with terrorism or terrorists. Simply one group of people reproducing faster than another.

hjmick
11-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Keeping in mind that I have no love for Bill Maher (though I did enjoy his old Politically Incorrect show)...

The difference is, in my opinion, Bill does not work for another entity. His income comes from this show and his stand-up. No one pays him for his opinion anywhere else. Furthermore, his comment was more about the idea of a religion, in this case Islam, becoming dominant enough to become the government than expressing a fear of Muslims.

Maher is an Atheist. One with what I believe is an unfounded fear of all religions.

SpidermanTUba
11-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Nope, I don't think so. Since what Maher said was much, much worse than what Juan said.

Maher is upset that there are so many muslim births in England. It has nothing to do with terrorism or terrorists. Simply one group of people reproducing faster than another.

And what do Muslims dressed in Muslim garb have to do with terrorism on airplanes? When's the last time someone took down a U.S. airplane while wearing a turban?

SpidermanTUba
11-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Keeping in mind that I have no love for Bill Maher (though I did enjoy his old Politically Incorrect show)...

The difference is, in my opinion, Bill does not work for another entity. His income comes from this show and his stand-up. No one pays him for his opinion anywhere else. Furthermore, his comment was more about the idea of a religion, in this case Islam, becoming dominant enough to become the government than expressing a fear of Muslims.

Maher is an Atheist. One with what I believe is an unfounded fear of all religions.

And he's an admitted comedian while Juan is supposed to be a serious journalist.

Pagan
11-09-2010, 11:51 AM

Unfounded are you serious? Or is it you just don't bother to read a bit of history nor keep up with current events.

hjmick
11-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Unfounded are you serious? Or is it you just don't bother to read a bit of history nor keep up with current events.

I read quite a bit of history, and I am very much up on current events. My comment was in regard to Bill Maher's general opinion towards religion, all religion. He fears them, all of them. A fear I consider unfounded, regardless of the banner.