PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Midterm results thread

Noir
11-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Good and bad news for the tea-party early on, O'Donnel lost too Coons in Delaware however flordia was easily held by Rubio.

Rand Paul (Rep) wins senate seat in Kentucky.

Coats (Rep) Gained senate seat from the democrats in Indiana

red states rule
11-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Good and bad news for the tea-party early on, O'Donnel lost too Coons in Delaware however flordia was easily held by Rubio.

On the other hand, Allan Grayson who bellowed on the House floor "Republicans want you to die" during Obamacre is DONE in FL

Rand Paul also won

This is not a good night for Obama, Dems, and the liberal agenda

Noir
11-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Boozmen (Rep) gains a senate seat against the Dems Arkansas

Close race in Connecticut, but Richard Blumental (Dem) kept the Dem senate seat against Linda McMahon (Rep)

red states rule
11-02-2010, 08:08 PM
MSNBC, with a great deal of sadness, has projected it is over as far as the House is concerned

All they can do is play up the Senate will probably stay with the Dems

Matthews has said several times how many "wackos" will win on the Republican side

Such objective journalism tonight from Obama's PR network

Pagan
11-02-2010, 10:23 PM
As of 20:23 Pacific time, the GOP has picked up +4 in the Senate

http://elections.nytimes.com/2010/results/senate

SassyLady
11-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Feingold defeated!

Pagan
11-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Feingold defeated!

Wow, that is a shock .....

Dem's are taking an ass kicking in the Governor's also, so far +7 Repub's.

Heh, Heh, Heh .....

Still too early but I have to, and I mean I just have to .......

ONCE AGAIN

http://pix.rejecttheherd.net/d/8495-1/ass.jpg

red states rule
11-03-2010, 02:22 AM
The liberal media has not changed much in more then 25 years. When liberals lose elections they do not report - they spin

The actual voting results are just part of what makes for an Election Night in today’s mass media world. Perhaps as important — in some years, more important — are journalists’ first stab at interpreting the results, telling audiences what they voted for (and against).

If history is a reliable guide, listen for: smug journalists slamming “angry” or stupid voters; claims that there’s no mandate for conservative policies; slams that the Republican winners are “extremist” or “radical;” and arguments that the Democrats failed to follow through on their liberal agenda. Oh, and don’t forget the racism.

In 1994, when Republicans picked up 54 House seats, the media message was first and foremost that voters had failed. “The public seemed more intolerant than involved, uninterested in what the candidates have had to say, blindly voting against,” then-Newsweek writer Joe Klein scolded.

In a radio commentary six days after the election, ABC anchor Peter Jennings derided: “Imagine a nation full of uncontrolled two-year-old rage. The voters had a temper tantrum last week....The nation can’t be run by an angry two-year old.”

The eviction of so many Democrats after the liberal experiments of Bill Clinton’s first two years in office would strike most observers as a conservative message, but many in the media rejected that obvious premise: “There’s no overarching mandate that the GOP can read into this,” CNN’s Mary Tillotson huffed on election night, November 8.

“It was a vote for bipartisanship, for centrism,” echoed CNN analyst Bill Schneider.

“They are not voting Republican tonight,” U.S. News & World Report’s Steve Roberts claimed on CNBC's Equal Time. “They are voting against a lot of unhappiness in their own lives....This is not an anti-government vote tonight.”

And, in a preview of the media’s disdainful approach to the 2010 Tea Party conservatives, the Clinton administration’s opponents were “extremist,” “intolerant” “radicals.” Two weeks before the election, for example, ABC’s Jack Smith claimed on This Week that Florida GOP candidate Jeb Bush was a “radical conservative with virtually no experience in governing.”

Read more: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/rich-noyes/2010/11/02/mrc-archives-viewers-guide-election-night-spin#ixzz14CZ9PFYy

Noir
11-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Feingold defeated!

That name rings a bell...was he the leader of the opposition group to the patriot act or something?

Noir
11-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Harry Reid won?! I expected him to lose, and idk the tea party movement kinda fizzled a bit IMO =/

Speaking of which, kinda, in some districts I heard there were only 30% over turnout, 30%! I thought the country was meant to be angry not apathetic.

jimnyc
11-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Harry Reid won?! I expected him to lose, and idk the tea party movement kinda fizzled a bit IMO =/

Not sure I would say the Tea Party fizzled when this is the biggest killing in House history since 1938!

Of course they couldn't sway EVERY important election as some areas simply vote along party lines. Like here in NY - a Dem generally wins just by running, regardless of opponent, because NY is a disgustingly Democratic state. There are a few states that are like that for Repubs too. Anywhere else in the nation and Reid and Boxer from California probably lose, but there are reasons they get re-elected non-stop - their districts are infested with those who agree with them because of the capitalized letter before their names.

But trying to diminish the Tea Party led GOP killing yesterday won't happen. They changed the political climate in one overnight election, in a manner not seen in many, many decades. They crushed them in the house, gained heavily on them in Governership and hold a strong lead there & made huge strides to nearly even out the Senate.

gabosaurus
11-03-2010, 11:28 AM
The crazy woman from Delaware didn't get in. That is a good enough consolation prize for me. She can go back to her coven and figure out what to do next.
The people (and sheep) have spoken. The talking heads have been talking gloom and doom for two years now. So let's see what happens now.

REDWHITEBLUE2
11-03-2010, 02:11 PM
The crazy woman from Delaware didn't get in. That is a good enough consolation prize for me. She can go back to her coven and figure out what to do next.
The people (and sheep) have spoken. The talking heads have been talking gloom and doom for two years now. So let's see what happens now.

And the Crazy women from your MoonBeam state [peelosi] got fired so Yes it is a great day

Trigg
11-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Well I hope the liberals on the board now realize that the tea party wasn't a fringe group.

I listened to bambam today and had to turn the channel occasionally, he was making me sick. I loved how he talked about fiscal responsibility all the while planning his India trip that will cost 200 million a DAY. Makes me want to puke.

Yesterday's vote had EVERYTHING to do with his agenda of spending money hand over fist and shoving health care down our throats.

Good riddance

Trigg
11-03-2010, 02:59 PM

Speaking of which, kinda, in some districts I heard there were only 30% over turnout, 30%! I thought the country was meant to be angry not apathetic.

According to some news outlets only 3% of blacks voted. Although it looks like overall voter turnout was pretty good at around 40%, not bad for midterm elections.

Anger over the recession and tight races in several large states helped drive voters to the polls in higher numbers than for the midterm elections four years ago.

With more than 95 percent of precincts reporting, election data indicate that turnout was up in at least nine states, including significant increases in Florida, Minnesota and Texas. Turnout appeared to be down slightly in several other states, including Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Overall, turnout in the midterm elections was projected at 42 percent of registered voters. That translates to about 90 million people, 6.2 million more than voted in 2006.
http://www.wndu.com/nationworldnews/headlines/National_voter_turnout_increases_from_last_midterm _in_2006_106629583.html

KarlMarx
11-03-2010, 03:28 PM

Again, you shouldn't be casting stones. The "sheep" have been voted out of office... a large number of your fellow Democrats who voted for Obamacare are now short timing it in Washington DC.

Noir
11-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Good at 40%...really? I mean *really*? =/

gabosaurus
11-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Like I said, the people have spoken. I expect the economy to make drastic gains and unemployment figures reduced by half within six months.

darin
11-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Like I said, the people have spoken. I expect the economy to make drastic gains and unemployment figures reduced by half within six months.

Will settle for 12. Depends on how much the President vetos good ideas.

Trigg
11-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Good at 40%...really? I mean *really*? =/

That's 6 million more people than the last midterms. You've got to remember there is a huge section of the population that just doesn't vote. Only 3% of blacks voted, heck in a blow out year for blacks (voting in Obama) only 13% voted.

Trigg
11-03-2010, 04:30 PM

bambam was doing such a great job, remember unemployment wasn't supposed to go over 8% with the stimulus.

red states rule
11-03-2010, 04:57 PM

Glad to see you back Gabby

I thought after the ass kicking your side took last night you would be in a bad mood

Glad to see you still your normal warm and fuzzy self

Kathianne
11-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Well the administration has shot the first salvo:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/The-Feds-big-gamble-Heres-apf-2177377791.html?x=0

The Fed's big gamble: Here's what could go wrong
The Federal Reserve launches plan to lift all boats. Who knows how it will play out?
ap

Matthew Craft, AP Business Writer, On Wednesday November 3, 2010, 6:13 pm

The Federal Reserve is making a high-stakes bet in the hope of getting the economy steaming along again. Nobody is sure the Fed's best efforts will work, and they may actually backfire.

The Fed announced a plan to buy $600 billion in government debt, aimed at driving already low long-term interest rates even lower. The central bank would buy the debt in chunks of $75 billion a month through June of next year.

Economists call it "quantitative easing." The latest package gets the name "QE2" -- like the ship -- because it's the second round. The Fed spent about $1.7 trillion from 2008 to earlier this year to take bonds off the hands of banks and stabilize them.

Here's how it's supposed to work this time: The Fed buys Treasury bonds from banks, providing them cash to lend to customers. Buying so many bonds also lowers interest rates because demand for Treasurys leads to higher prices and lower yields. Interest rates on consumer loans are tied to Treasury yields. Lower rates entice people to take out a mortgage or another loan.

At the same time, lower interest rates make relatively safe investments like bonds and cash less appealing, so companies and investors take the cash and buy equipment or other investments, like stocks. The S&P 500 takes off and Americans celebrate with a shopping spree. Businesses see a rise in sales and begin hiring again, and a virtuous cycle of more spending and more hiring ensues.

But many analysts and even supporters of the plan see dangers. It could make the weak dollar even weaker and lead to trade disputes with other countries. It could lead bond traders to believe that inflation will run wild, and they derail the Fed's efforts by pushing rates higher. Many investors argue that it may create bubbles as hedge funds and other speculators borrow cheaply and make even bigger bets on stocks, commodities and markets in developing countries like Brazil.

"It's a desperate act," says Jeremy Grantham, co-founder of the investment firm GMO. Grantham says it's a clear message from the Fed to the rest of the world: "The U.S. doesn't care if the dollar weakens."

Here is a look at two ways the Fed's strategy could go wrong:

Kathianne
11-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Here's where I'd like to see the House take the initiative:

1. Bill to cut spending across board 5-8%
2. Look to end Departments of Education and Energy.
3. Look to end or drastically cut Agriculture,HUD and Homeland Security.
4. Look for waste in all departments, especially DOD. Stop funding studies of waste.

red states rule
11-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Well I hope the liberals on the board now realize that the tea party wasn't a fringe group.

I listened to bambam today and had to turn the channel occasionally, he was making me sick. I loved how he talked about fiscal responsibility all the while planning his India trip that will cost 200 million a DAY. Makes me want to puke.

Yesterday's vote had EVERYTHING to do with his agenda of spending money hand over fist and shoving health care down our throats.

Good riddance

The liberal media is still attacking the Tea Party

Now they are out to "destroy" the country

<object width="518" height="419"><param name="movie" value="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=hdSU8zaG6U" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=hdSU8zaG6U" allowfullscreen="true" width="518" height="419" /></object>

red states rule
11-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Here's where I'd like to see the House take the initiative:

1. Bill to cut spending across board 5-8%
2. Look to end Departments of Education and Energy.
3. Look to end or drastically cut Agriculture,HUD and Homeland Security.
4. Look for waste in all departments, especially DOD. Stop funding studies of waste.

We just took Obama's Senate seat

Kathianne for Congress!!

Kathianne
11-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Dang, forgot entitlements. These need to be evaluated and cut, but seriously will take more than an election cycle or 3 to do major cuts. They can start.

Raise retirement age. People are living into their 80's and 90's, let's make it more interesting for them and more normal for all to see older people actively engaged in the commercial ends.

Noir
11-03-2010, 06:45 PM
That's 6 million more people than the last midterms. You've got to remember there is a huge section of the population that just doesn't vote. Only 3% of blacks voted, heck in a blow out year for blacks (voting in Obama) only 13% voted.

Bloomin heck, I mean, in the UK we have quiet low turnouts, but we're still normally able to get around the 60% mark. As fir the blacks, they need to get themselves in gear, I'll never know how people can care so little about politics when it affects everything =/

SassyLady
11-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Noir, a lot of people believe politicians are crooks so why bother helping them on election day. And, a lot of those who believe and still vote are trying to vote for the one that is the least crooked, or supports one of their favored entitlements.

What I'm amazed at is how the initiatives roll out ... our county voted to increase sales tax and rejected raising vehicle licenses to help out parks. Go figure. Both are taxes.

I don't know what the UK does differently to get 60% turnout.

Noir
11-03-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't know what the UK does differently to get 60% turnout.

Nor I, like we are always told our voter turnout is low, and I've read plenty of 'voter apathy a threat to UK democracy' essays, but looking at the stats we are often well into the 60s and 70s, you yanks are just weird lol, especially given how politically active you seem to be as a nation.

Sauce - http://www.ukpolitical.info/Turnout45.htm

KitchenKitten99
11-03-2010, 09:11 PM
The MN legislature, both House and Senate, are now GOP-controlled for the first time in 38 years.

The governor's race is now at recount. Ironically one county (the largest-liberal populated too), Hennipen, had issues with their voting machines (tallying votes for the DFL candidate automatically), and the race was so close, less than half a percent difference in votes, that an automatic recount is now underway.

Here we go again... :alcoholic: :bang3:

red states rule
11-04-2010, 03:20 AM
Here is PA we elected a new Republican Gov and Senator. Many Congressional districts also flipped to the GOP

The libs in the state are so depressed :laugh2:

SassyLady
11-04-2010, 03:52 AM
I should get sympathy cards, flowers and candy because of what happened to me ...... looked at all the winners today here in CA and couldn't find one person who wasn't a democrat.

However, pot is still illegal and we will now have a committee to draw the district lines.

Oh, and guess what? That ultra-oober liberal progressive Gavin Newsom (mayor of SF) is now Brown's 2nd in command.

I think I'm moving to Arizona or Alaska. Move over NT and dmp!

red states rule
11-04-2010, 03:55 AM
I should get sympathy cards, flowers and candy because of what happened to me ...... looked at all the winners today here in CA and couldn't find one person who wasn't a democrat.

However, pot is still illegal and we will now have a committee to draw the district lines.

Oh, and guess what? That ultra-oober liberal progressive Gavin Newsom (mayor of SF) is now Brown's 2nd in command.

I think I'm moving to Arizona or Alaska. Move over NT and dmp!

PA is not bad if you don't mind some snow

I travel to Matyland everyday, and that state still went with the tax and spend liberals

I told a co-worker yesterday I wish I could play some music for Obama at the WH to cheer him up. I would start with the song "Wipe Out"

He looked at me and said. "It wasn't that bad"

Many liberals still do not get it

SassyLady
11-04-2010, 04:30 AM
PA is not bad if you don't mind some snow

I travel to Matyland everyday, and that state still went with the tax and spend liberals

I told a co-worker yesterday I wish I could play some music for Obama at the WH to cheer him up. I would start with the song "Wipe Out"

He looked at me and said. "It wasn't that bad"

Many liberals still do not get it

All the dems in my county got over 60% of the vote .... it's a very liberal county ... they are either smoking pot or drinking wine ... either way, they are too laid back to care what's down the road ... they only want immediate gratification.

Kathianne
11-04-2010, 05:33 AM

We had more than 50% turnout, but they don't differentiate between the dead and living. :coffee:

red states rule
11-04-2010, 05:10 PM
We had more than 50% turnout, but they don't differentiate between the dead and living. :coffee:

We also had over 50% turnout and it was really great to see long lines at the fire hall when I went in to vote