PDA

View Full Version : Interesting note about Calif election results

Little-Acorn
11-05-2010, 05:04 PM
The California state government has an Assembly with 80 seats, and a state Senate with 40 seats. Both houses are heavily Democrat, with a smaller number of Republicans in each. The entire Assembly is up for election every 2 years, and half the Senate is up for election every 2 years.

The state has been a real mess for the last several years. It's the most heavily indebted state in the union, with Democrats struggling to increase spending and taxes, and Republicans trying to resist any increases in either spending or taxes.

The interesting part?

This year, huge numbers of U.S. Govt seats changed parties nationally.
But not a single seat in either Calif state govt house, changed parties.

Not one.

That's the power of gerrymandering. The process where politicians draw their own voting districts, to take in this isolated groups of Dem-voting houses here while avoiding that group of Repub-voting houses over there, etc. It tends to produce voting districts that look like an insect splattered on a windshield.

With all the grief and complaining and accusations flying and the state teetering on the edge of bankruptcy... not one voting district thought that it might be a good idea to vote in the other party for a change.

NOT ONE.

The good news? Next year, the districts will be re-drawn, as they are after every decennial census. And this time, instead of the politicians themselves deciding who gets to vote for them, the re-drawing task will be turned over to an independent panel of judges and other such "nonpartisan" people. At least, we hope they are nonpartisan.

Palin Rider
11-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm not claiming that the current districts aren't a result of gerrymander. However, the fact remains that California's right-leaning voters have been outnumbered by its left-leaning ones for several decades - which by itself is enough to produce a similar result.

For the record, I agree that having a redistricting panel is a better approach.

SassyLady
11-05-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm not claiming that the current districts aren't a result of gerrymander. However, the fact remains that California's right-leaning voters have been outnumbered by its left-leaning ones for several decades - which by itself is enough to produce a similar result.

For the record, I agree that having a redistricting panel is a better approach.

If you look at a red/blue map of CA you'll see that most of the blue is in the counties along the coast (LA and SF areas). Perhaps, if we have that mega earthquake everyone talks about, we'll get rid of most of the tax and spend liberal progressive dems out here.....:laugh:

LuvRPgrl
11-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Most people have no clue what will happen if Calif goes bankrupt, so they dont see a need for change that seriously;,; but eventually all this will catch up as it has been in the process for quite a while.

The California state government has an Assembly with 80 seats, and a state Senate with 40 seats. Both houses are heavily Democrat, with a smaller number of Republicans in each. The entire Assembly is up for election every 2 years, and half the Senate is up for election every 2 years.

The state has been a real mess for the last several years. It's the most heavily indebted state in the union, with Democrats struggling to increase spending and taxes, and Republicans trying to resist any increases in either spending or taxes.

The interesting part?

This year, huge numbers of U.S. Govt seats changed parties nationally.
But not a single seat in either Calif state govt house, changed parties.

Not one.

That's the power of gerrymandering. The process where politicians draw their own voting districts, to take in this isolated groups of Dem-voting houses here while avoiding that group of Repub-voting houses over there, etc. It tends to produce voting districts that look like an insect splattered on a windshield.

With all the grief and complaining and accusations flying and the state teetering on the edge of bankruptcy... not one voting district thought that it might be a good idea to vote in the other party for a change.

NOT ONE.

The good news? Next year, the districts will be re-drawn, as they are after every decennial census. And this time, instead of the politicians themselves deciding who gets to vote for them, the re-drawing task will be turned over to an independent panel of judges and other such "nonpartisan" people. At least, we hope they are nonpartisan.

Palin Rider
11-07-2010, 03:24 PM
If you look at a red/blue map of CA you'll see that most of the blue is in the counties along the coast (LA and SF areas). Perhaps, if we have that mega earthquake everyone talks about, we'll get rid of most of the tax and spend liberal progressive dems out here.....:laugh:

Geez, I take care of business for a few weeks, and come back to see that you now want to be a mass murderer? :wtf:

Clearly you need me as a stabilizing influence in your life, little lady. :laugh:

SassyLady
11-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Geez, I take care of business for a few weeks, and come back to see that you now want to be a mass murderer? :wtf:

Clearly you need me as a stabilizing influence in your life, little lady. :laugh:

Who said anything about them dying .... huge assumption you made there little man. Says a lot about where your mind resides.

Palin Rider
11-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Who said anything about them dying .... huge assumption you made there little man. Says a lot about where your mind resides.

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, there. Just trying to pattern match your tongue-in-cheek level. ;)