PDA

View Full Version : Why

Jeff
11-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Why does a atheist spend so much time trying to prove there is no God ? As I read threw the pages it blows my mind, could it be they are very curious but afraid to believe what they can't see, Well Brother come to church with me and the spirit will rock your world, nope I don't see it but I can certainly feel it, and my beleif has made me a better man

Read the Bible, just check it out it will amaze you, for someone like me it is a big read so surely many of you would understand it and read threw it a lot faster than I

And please understand I am not picking any any one here I would just Love to share the Ultimate Love with Y'all

God Bless Y'all and I will be praying that some of you just give it a chance , then make a educated decision

Remember the only way to Heaven is threw Jesus

Noir
11-06-2010, 11:00 AM
I don't spend any time trying to prove there is no god personally, that would be stupid. But rather that there is no need for there to be a god, and that in any case we should hope there isn't one.

darin
11-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Atheists have a LOT OF FAITH in their beliefs. They are often zealots.

Noir
11-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Atheists have a LOT OF FAITH in their beliefs. They are often zealots.

Well if one were to take the Descartes view of reality and sense perception then everything except the self is merely a belief.

darin
11-06-2010, 12:55 PM
maybe the self is a belief too. (shrug)

I'll never have enough faith to believe all of creation magically happened.

Noir
11-06-2010, 01:14 PM
maybe the self is a belief too. (shrug)

I'll never have enough faith to believe all of creation magically happened.

Indeed, infact David Humme made quiet am arguement for the self not existing (by way of his idea called bundle theory, where no objects actually exist only their properties exist as sense data, which we wrongly believe to be an object because it is helpful for us to think of them as such) it really is a fantastic thought, and while it is quiet against everything that seems to make sense it's very hard to argue against.

And, lol, you do believe everything happened magically, don't pretend otherwise.

bullypulpit
11-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Why does a atheist spend so much time trying to prove there is no God ? As I read threw the pages it blows my mind, could it be they are very curious but afraid to believe what they can't see, Well Brother come to church with me and the spirit will rock your world, nope I don't see it but I can certainly feel it, and my beleif has made me a better man

Read the Bible, just check it out it will amaze you, for someone like me it is a big read so surely many of you would understand it and read threw it a lot faster than I

And please understand I am not picking any any one here I would just Love to share the Ultimate Love with Y'all

God Bless Y'all and I will be praying that some of you just give it a chance , then make a educated decision

Well, I don't worry about proving whether or not there is a God. And having read the Bible through a couple of times, I remain unconvinced as to the existence of such an entity. But, as with all such metaphysical speculation, it lacks any objective evidence to support it, and its proofs are rooted in deductive reasoning which leads us to no genuinely useful conclusions.

11-10-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't spend any time trying to prove there is no god personally, that would be stupid. But rather that there is no need for there to be a god, and that in any case we should hope there isn't one.

Why should we hope their isn't one?

And why on earth shouldn't we search to know Him?

If you want to know God is there, how can you unless you look?

If you have experiences with God, how can you deny that He is there? And why do you need to "prove" God if you know Him?

The Spirit is the greatest proof there is. The only reason I know that God is real is because of the Holy Spirit. What greater proof is there?

11-10-2010, 09:20 PM

Justification, doubt, self deception.

Noir
11-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Why should we hope their isn't one?

I don't like totalitarianism, be it human or 'godly' I also don't like the idea of a big brother, that is with me every living second of my life (I say my life; before I am born and after I die - when the real fun begins) i dont like the idea of a 'big brother' can convict me of thought crime. Who has created me ill and told me to be well under threat of damnation if I don't. I also don't much like the idea of many of the loved ones that I knew who have died being tortured for eternity,

Those are a few of the reasons why I hope it's not true, really, with every ounce of my being, hope.

SassyLady
11-11-2010, 12:51 AM
I don't like totalitarianism, be it human or 'godly' I also don't like the idea of a big brother, that is with me every living second of my life (I say my life; before I am born and after I die - when the real fun begins) i dont like the idea of a 'big brother' can convict me of thought crime. Who has created me ill and told me to be well under threat of damnation if I don't. I also don't much like the idea of many of the loved ones that I knew who have died being tortured for eternity,

Those are a few of the reasons why I hope it's not true, really, with every ounce of my being, hope.

All of the above is from what you've been told/read about God ... you need to quit reading and listening to other humans Noir. Just listen to what you know to be true ... and that truth may change for you over the course of your lifetime ... it did for me. I used to rail against everything I had been told about God ... and then when I quit listening to others, and started listening to everything else in the world, and looking at everything except words, and feeling, just breathing and being still ..... then I understood what cannot be explained.

:dunno:

Noir
11-11-2010, 06:57 AM
All of the above is from what you've been told/read about God ... you need to quit reading and listening to other humans Noir. Just listen to what you know to be true ... and that truth may change for you over the course of your lifetime ... it did for me. I used to rail against everything I had been told about God ... and then when I quit listening to others, and started listening to everything else in the world, and looking at everything except words, and feeling, just breathing and being still ..... then I understood what cannot be explained.

:dunno:

Indeed, and what I know to be true is science, and not any inner thoughts I may have. As Richard Dawkins said "Science replaces private prejudgice with publicly verifiable evidence."

If science pointed to a god, fair enough, but it doesn't, and so in the same manor in which Laplace's reacted to Napoleon when questioned about why god was not mentioned in his Mécanique Céleste; all seems to work just well without that assumption.

fj1200
11-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Indeed, and what I know to be true is science, and not any inner thoughts I may have. As Richard Dawkins said "Science replaces private prejudgice with publicly verifiable evidence."

If science pointed to a god, fair enough, but it doesn't...

Would you ever admit to it if it did? and what would you expect to be the signal?

BTW, it always strikes me as funny when Atheists imply that those who believe in a God must always be denying science.

Noir
11-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Would you ever admit to it if it did? and what would you expect to be the signal?

BTW, it always strikes me as funny when Atheists imply that those who believe in a God must always be denying science.

Ofcourse I would, Science does not have a bias, be it religious, political, geographical etc.

There was a famous exchange (I believe it was in oxford university) where a professor had been teaching a certain theory for many decades, it was his lifes work. When he was suddenly presented with another professor who handed him a paper, that without doubt disproved the first professors teachings, the Professor simpley smiled, shook the mans hand and said thankyou.

Science is not about Dogma, about reveled truth or about personal agendas. It is about the search for the truth.

fj1200
11-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Ofcourse I would, Science does not have a bias, be it religious, political, geographical etc.

And what type of evidence can you imagine would suggest pointing to a God?

Noir
11-11-2010, 12:55 PM
And what type of evidence can you imagine would suggest pointing to a God?

I have no idea, that would be like asking me to think of an alternative form of evolution than Natural Selection. I don't have the wit, intellect or ability to do so.

SassyLady
11-11-2010, 01:22 PM

If science pointed to a god, fair enough, but it doesn't, and so in the same manor in which Laplace's reacted to Napoleon when questioned about why god was not mentioned in his Mécanique Céleste; all seems to work just well without that assumption.

As I said... you need to stop listening/reading what other have to say...even the scientists.....after all, the scientist is interested in proving a theory so already has a bias. And, it will take science a very long time to get to the point where the kind of proof you need will exist. You can bypass all the scientific proof by tuning out what media bombards you with every day and focus on the natural world around you. Get out of the buildings and the technologies and pay attention to what you see and hear.

Get out of your head and into your heart.

DragonStryk72
11-11-2010, 02:10 PM

noir, how many religious threads have you opened? And really, your argument even boils down to the exact same thing.

Noir
11-11-2010, 02:41 PM
noir, how many religious threads have you opened? And really, your argument even boils down to the exact same thing.

Plenty i'm sure, and in none of them have I uttered the words 'this disproves god' and anyone who does make such a comment is a fool. Hope that's crystal for ya :3

Noir
11-11-2010, 02:44 PM
As I said... you need to stop listening/reading what other have to say...even the scientists.....after all, the scientist is interested in proving a theory so already has a bias. And, it will take science a very long time to get to the point where the kind of proof you need will exist. You can bypass all the scientific proof by tuning out what media bombards you with every day and focus on the natural world around you. Get out of the buildings and the technologies and pay attention to what you see and hear.

Get out of your head and into your heart.

To put it simply; No.

Any private prenudices I have for whatever reason will not have a bearing on The facts of reality or explain them.

Thunderknuckles
11-11-2010, 02:59 PM

Science is not about Dogma, about reveled truth or about personal agendas. It is about the search for the truth.
I'll agree in a general sense but in reality many of the truths science is in search of depends on who's funding the research :p

As for science vs. a belief in God:
I have been fortunate enough to stand on both sides of the argument throughout the course of my life. I won't bore you with the details of my personal journey but as of now I have amalgamated the two to form my own perception of the universe and it seems to work for me.

Cheers!
:salute:

SassyLady
11-11-2010, 10:03 PM
I'll agree in a general sense but in reality many of the truths science is in search of depends on who's funding the research :p

I have been fortunate enough to stand on both sides of the argument throughout the course of my life. I won't bore you with the details of my personal journey but as of now I have amalgamated the two to form my own perception of the universe and it seems to work for me.

Cheers!

This is the perfect place to be Thunder .... and I couldn't have said it better.

Noir
11-12-2010, 05:39 AM

Cheers!

Indeed, but the problem with those bias scientific claims is that they always faulter when put to peer review. Which is why groups like the IDers want to skip that bit and have their 'science' thought in schools under mottos like 'teach the controversy' which exempts them from peer review.

As for yourself, that's certianly nit an uncommon belief over here in the UK. Though the US seem to be somewhat behind on that kinda thinking, but I see that as tye point to which all the theist gods will slowly start to migrate to over the next coming decades.