PDA

View Full Version : Republicans May Yet Have Upper Hand in Senate

red states rule
11-09-2010, 04:29 AM
Some Dems are already worried about 2012 and may be jumping the USS Obama and join Republicans in reversing some the Dems agenda

With election results like this, they would be smart to do so

Senate, House, governors' and other races at the state, district and county level
http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-KS094_housem_D_20101103014009.jpg

So, in theory, that means Democratic Majority Leader Harry Reid, having survived his own election-day near-death experience, should be able to muster 53 votes if he keeps his troops in line.

But life is never that simple in the Senate and certainly won't be now. Among the Senate Democrats, 23 will face re-election in just two years, and, having just witnessed the drubbing some in their party took at the polls, they likely will be even less willing now to toe the party line. Independent Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, who caucuses with Democrats, often leans rightward, anyway.

More important, among those 23 Democrats who face voters in 2012 are a handful of incumbents from the kind of moderate to conservative states where Democrats took a beating last week: Ben Nelson of Nebraska, Jon Tester of Montana, Jim Webb of Virginia and Claire McCaskill of Missouri. Joe Manchin, who just won a Senate race in West Virginia by separating himself from President Barack Obama and his party's congressional leaders, also faces voters again in two years because he was elected only to fill out an unexpired term.

Sen. Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, looks at this field and thinks he may see some votes for his side. He points in particular to his desire to roll back parts of this year's big health bill.

"There are 23 Democrats up in 2012 and only nine Republicans," he said in an interview. "I think there is a widespread belief on the other side of the aisle that [the health bill] was a huge mistake. There could be, who knows, a growing number of Democrats who think that was the wrong thing to do."

http://online.wsj.com/article/capital_journal.html

Kathianne
11-09-2010, 04:52 AM
There is quite a lot of talk:

http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives/24310

Manchin to flip Republican?

Look, if anyone else in the Washington Universe said it, I’d mock the hell out of it.

But Chris Stirewalt of Fox News (and formerly this newspaper) is reporting it, so I shut up and listened.

From Chris Stirewalt of Fox News:

Republicans are making some big promises to try to lure West Virginia Senator-elect Joe Manchin to cross the aisle.

Aside from his pick of committee assignments (likely the Energy and Natural Resources Committee), Manchin might get support for one of his pet projects – a plant to convert coal to diesel fuel that has stalled under Democratic leadership in Washington.

It’s one of Manchin’s pet projects and could mean big money for the state’s coal producers.

We live in strange times and I have heard stranger things. There is a race in 2012, after all...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/11/08/jim_webb_why_reagan_dems_still_matter_107875.html

November 8, 2010
Jim Webb: Why Reagan Dems Still Matter
By David Paul Kuhn

Jim Webb went to the White House last September. The Virginia senator was meeting with the president to discuss Guantanamo detainees. The conversation soon shifted to healthcare. "I told him this was going to be a disaster," Webb recalls. "The president believed it was all going to work out."

Democratic leaders broadly believed it was all going to work out. The stimulus, healthcare, cap and trade. Americans were to come around to the left side.

We're talking about why voters didn't come around. Webb is weighing my report the morning after the election: Democrats won the smallest share of white voters in any congressional election since World War II.

"I've been warning them," Webb says, sighing, resting his chin on his hand. "I've been having discussions with our leadership ever since I've been up here. I decided to run as a Democrat because I happen to strongly believe in Jacksonian democracy. There needs to be one party that very clearly represents the interests of working people ... I'm very concerned about the transactional nature of the Democratic Party. Its evolved too strongly into interest groups rather than representing working people, including small business people."

red states rule
11-09-2010, 04:58 AM
I saw the reports abput Sen elect Manchin. Republicans are also talking to Nelson and Lieberman

Bottom line is, Republicans have been given a second chance. However, no excuses this time. Republicans have to stay focused and do what they said they would do

Even if they can't repeal Obamacare and the other crap Dems passd - force Obama to veto the bills, and make his administration publicly answer questions about them

No doubt about it, the 2012 campaign began the morning on November 3, 2010

Kathianne
11-09-2010, 05:11 AM
I saw the reports abput Sen elect Manchin. Republicans are also talking to Nelson and Lieberman

Bottom line is, Republicans have been given a second chance. However, no excuses this time. Republicans have to stay focused and do what they said they would do

Even if they can't repeal Obamacare and the other crap Dems passd - force Obama to veto the bills, and make his administration publicly answer questions about them

No doubt about it, the 2012 campaign began the morning on November 3, 2010

I agree. They need to stay focused and serious. 'Just saying no,' isn't going to cut it. People want government brought under control and recognize that the House alone can't do that. But it can bring clarity. It can incrementally make a difference by choosing what to fund and not to fund.

Time is of the essence, they must address the need to shrink government. Yes, forcing vetoes too, adding more clarity to the electorate on whom to support in 2012. There needs to be a serious slate brought forward early, not a Palin. I'm very disappointed that Christie took himself out, but credit him for doing so early.

They cannot go on a revenge binge, though they need to look into the DOJ and get that under control. There's not time to waste on investigations of anything labeled Democrat.

red states rule
11-09-2010, 05:17 AM
I agree. They need to stay focused and serious. 'Just saying no,' isn't going to cut it. People want government brought under control and recognize that the House alone can't do that. But it can bring clarity. It can incrementally make a difference by choosing what to fund and not to fund.

Time is of the essence, they must address the need to shrink government. Yes, forcing vetoes too, adding more clarity to the electorate on whom to support in 2012. There needs to be a serious slate brought forward early, not a Palin. I'm very disappointed that Christie took himself out, but credit him for doing so early.

They cannot go on a revenge binge, though they need to look into the DOJ and get that under control. There's not time to waste on investigations of anything labeled Democrat.

I could not agree with you more

Kat I wish you were in Congress right now. You and Michele Bachman would make a great tag team, and would keep the Dems on defense 24/7

SpidermanTUba
11-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Some Dems are already worried about 2012 and may be jumping the USS Obama and join Republicans in reversing some the Dems agenda

With election results like this, they would be smart to do so

Senate, House, governors' and other races at the state, district and county level
http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-KS094_housem_D_20101103014009.jpg

Wow check it out all the hicks vote Republican.

jimnyc
11-09-2010, 04:24 PM

Looks like the monkeys in NO did too!

SpidermanTUba
11-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Looks like the monkeys in NO did too!

Three cheers for bigotry!

jimnyc
11-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Three cheers for bigotry!

Four cheers for idiots that can't understand comprehension, context and running jokes. If you have to ask - kindly go fuck yourself and walk away! :lol:

red states rule
11-09-2010, 06:03 PM

Way to go!!

Keep insulting the jury and make 2012 much easier for us

red states rule
11-09-2010, 06:43 PM
I do hope liberals stay in their pissed off sore loser mode for the next 2 years

Keep telling the voters what you REALLY think about them

<object width="518" height="419"><param name="movie" value="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=hdSUkUZuQu" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=hdSUkUZuQu" allowfullscreen="true" width="518" height="419" /></object>