PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious missile launch off CA coast

namvet
11-09-2010, 01:50 PM
is someone testing our response???

Pacific Ocean (CBS 8)- A mysterious missile launch off the southern California coast was caught on video Monday evening by a KCBS news helicopter.

The spectacular contrail could easily be seen up in Los Angeles, but who launched this missile and why, remain a mystery for now.

The magnificent images were captured from the KCBS chopper around 5pm. The location of the missile was described as west of Los Angeles, north of Catalina Island, and approximately 35 miles out to sea.

A Navy spokesperson tells News 8, this wasn't its missile. He said there was no Navy activity reported in that part of the region.

On Friday, November 5, Vandenberg Air Force Base launched a Delta II rocket, carrying the Thales Alenia Space-Italia COSMO SkyMed satellite, but a sergeant at the base tells News 8, there have been no launches since then.

News 8 showed the video to Robert Ellsworth, former U.S. Ambassador to NATO and a former Deputy Secretary of Defense.

He said it didn't appear to be a Tomahawk missile and said it would be safest to wait for definitive answers to come from the military.

Based on pure speculation, however, Ambassador Ellsworth said, with President Obama in Asia, perhaps this could have been a show of our military muscle.

"It could be a test firing of an intercontinental ballistic missile from an underwater submarine, to demonstrate mainly to Asia, that we can do that," he said, stressing that it was just a theory.

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=13468118

http://kfmb.images.worldnow.com/images/13468118_BG1.jpg

oyEvk-VTuEI

revelarts
11-09-2010, 04:02 PM
soo um any idea where it landed?

But um Could it have been a CHINESE submarine? ALQUIDA submarine missile , oh man.

No worries the gov't knows what it's doing.

God help us all.

Gaffer
11-09-2010, 08:09 PM
They didn't say which direction it was heading. Based on the area it was launched from it had to be from a ship or submarine. It appears to be a large missile. I don't buy the demonstrating for the Asian countries explanation. I would suspect its an Asian country demonstrating for us. Lets see what the military has to say about this.

NightTrain
11-09-2010, 08:47 PM
I can't see any nation ballsy enough to launch any kind of missile off the coast of California... let alone a big boy like that. A good indicator would be if NORAD suddenly went apeshit over a surprise missile launch.

Had to be one of ours, maybe it was a test of our missile shield from a sub platform... haven't heard of a sub being part of that program, but I'm sure there's a lot of things with that project that's not discussed publicly.

REDWHITEBLUE2
11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I can't see any nation ballsy enough to launch any kind of missile off the coast of California... let alone a big boy like that. A good indicator would be if NORAD suddenly went apeshit over a surprise missile launch.

Had to be one of ours, maybe it was a test of our missile shield from a sub platform... haven't heard of a sub being part of that program, but I'm sure there's a lot of things with that project that's not discussed publicly.

I wouldn't put it past that little sawed off Runt Ill Kim Jon of N Korea to pull a stupid stunt like this

Gaffer
11-09-2010, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't put it past that little sawed off Runt Ill Kim Jon of N Korea to pull a stupid stunt like this

They have submarines but I don't think they have any missile capable ones.

NightTrain
11-10-2010, 01:22 AM
They have submarines but I don't think they have any missile capable ones.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure all they have are old Soviet or Chinese diesel / electric rigs, not even old nuke powered boats.

NK doesn't have boomers, just a few attack boats that they like to use to sink SK's vessels from time to time when Kim Chung Ill gets bored.

As far as I know, boomers are too expensive to play with for most countries... a couple NATO players, USA and Russia were the only ones. Not sure about China, but I'm doubtful if they have them.

bullypulpit
11-10-2010, 06:06 AM
No missile...<a href=http://contrailscience.com/>a jet contrail</a>. But that won't convince the tin-foil hat crowd here.

Gaffer
11-10-2010, 07:51 AM
No missile...<a href=http://contrailscience.com/>a jet contrail</a>. But that won't convince the tin-foil hat crowd here.

I was holding out for swamp gas as the official explanation. And your source was?

namvet
11-10-2010, 09:29 AM

of course. a jet plane rises out of the sea 35 mi off the coast. really wanna stick with that one???

Nukeman
11-10-2010, 09:37 AM
No missile...<a href=http://contrailscience.com/>a jet contrail</a>. But that won't convince the tin-foil hat crowd here.So Robert Elsworth the Former Secretary of Defence states that it is "clearly a large missle" and you make a statement that it wasn't.!?!?!?!!? Hmmmm i think I'll go witht he expert over you any day there Bully.

I am not a tinfoil hat person however I can see this as a test of our system and our response times. I for one see the day one of these rogue nations decide to use a EMP to put us back in the 1800's for a few decades.. You however keep living the dream you do!!!!:poke:

NightTrain
11-10-2010, 11:59 AM
The only thing Bully can be sure of is what flavor of Kool-Aid his liberal masters have served him for lunch.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand...

I read in the paper this morning that NORAD and NORCOM both made a joint statement that it wasn't anything they were informed of and they have no idea what it was.

NORAD would definitely be in the loop for a test firing of one of our missiles, so I guess that rules out any of ours... and that's not a comforting scenario. Had to have been another country launching missile from a boomer.

And 35 miles off the coast. I'll have to look around and see the list of who plays with boomers, it's not that big of a list.

NightTrain
11-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Looks like the only countries that have them currently are : USA, Russia, UK, France and China.

India has their first one now that they're performing tests on, and it's supposedly not operationally ready yet.

I'd like to see the complete footage from that news helicopter, instead of the chopped up bits that everyone is using in their own newscasts... it's really hard to see where the references are, like the horizon, sea level, speed, etc.

Mr. P
11-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I think it's a UFO launched from an under sea base!!

Hey, I know it's true cuz I listen to Coast to Coast sometimes. :laugh:

A jet contrail? Unlikely, BP.

NightTrain
11-10-2010, 02:16 PM

I was waiting for the UFO bit - I didn't expect you to raise that possibility though! :laugh2:

There's a few commentators that are saying it's a jet contrail, but you can see the flames coming out of the engines when the camera zooms in, and that's definitely not a jet.

The curious thing is that LAX didn't see anything on their radar, and I don't understand how that's possible.

Mr. P
11-10-2010, 02:32 PM
I was waiting for the UFO bit - I didn't expect you to raise that possibility though! :laugh2:

There's a few commentators that are saying it's a jet contrail, but you can see the flames coming out of the engines when the camera zooms in, and that's definitely not a jet.

The curious thing is that LAX didn't see anything on their radar, and I don't understand how that's possible.
Tongue in check, NT. I donno what it is. I'll watch the video again..but yes, LAX should have seen it, both Lax and Los Angeles Center have radar coverage in that area.

NightTrain
11-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Tongue in check, NT. I donno what it is. I'll watch the video again..but yes, LAX should have seen it, both Lax and Los Angeles Center have radar coverage in that area.

Yeah, I knew you were joking, bud. I was waiting for someone to present that possibility in a serious manner, though.

krisy
11-10-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm a little worried that the military doesn't know what this is or where it came from?!

If it was some type of airplane,wouldn't the powers that be figure that out pretty quickly?

Also,if it came from a foregin ship,wouldn't our military know that ship was "out there" somewhere? If they don't,why not?

I agree that it does not look like a plane.....not that I am any kind of expert on this stuff:coffee:

bullypulpit
11-10-2010, 07:57 PM
I was holding out for swamp gas as the official explanation. And your source was?

Well golly...did you try FOLLOWING THE LINK? Or was that too much effort? just to make it painfully obvious.

http://contrailscience.com/

bullypulpit
11-10-2010, 07:59 PM
So Robert Elsworth the Former Secretary of Defence states that it is "clearly a large missle" and you make a statement that it wasn't.!?!?!?!!? Hmmmm i think I'll go witht he expert over you any day there Bully.

I am not a tinfoil hat person however I can see this as a test of our system and our response times. I for one see the day one of these rogue nations decide to use a EMP to put us back in the 1800's for a few decades.. You however keep living the dream you do!!!!:poke:

See above.

bullypulpit
11-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Thank you Dr. Science. Gawd, I have never seen such a bunch of credulous rubes.

Mr. P
11-10-2010, 08:13 PM
BP, I have just looked at the link you posted..it does make sense..In fact it would explain why there was no radar contact with this target.

REDWHITEBLUE2
11-10-2010, 08:29 PM
My guess would be it's a Russian Missile. Russia loves to show off it's Superior Military strength. And with the weak Commander in chief on vacation visiting his home land what a great time to do this

SassyLady
11-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Well golly...did you try FOLLOWING THE LINK? Or was that too much effort? just to make it painfully obvious.

http://contrailscience.com/

Thanks for the link BP.

bullypulpit
11-10-2010, 08:52 PM
BP, I have just looked at the link you posted..it does make sense..In fact it would explain why there was no radar contact with this target.

Sorry...My dismay overcame my manners.

NightTrain
11-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Good link, BP, and he has a pretty convincing explanation that covers why NORAD and LAX didn't have any info on it.

Sunlight reflecting off the plane would explain why it looks like there's flames shooting out at : 0:44 0:57 and 1:47 in the news footage from the chopper.

Kathianne
11-11-2010, 04:15 PM

Not long after I saw the story about the CA 'missile' I found this site:

http://staging.spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/aerospace/aviation/mystery-missile-wasnt-a-missile-at-all

I didn't have time to post it. It's basically saying the same as yours, BP. Mrs KP is right though, your posting style is creating a block regarding people checking out what you are writing. Their loss to be sure, but your own too if you wish to converse.

Calling people 'rubes' doesn't help, in fact hurts your cause. There's enough friction over politics, why add 'intelligence' to the mix?

revelarts
11-11-2010, 07:41 PM
hmm, It could be a Contrail, maybe, looks sorta like one.
I'm not so sure my first instinct still might not be possible ,
China.

I don't know.
the guys in flying in helicopters in those skies everyday can't tell the difference in Contrails and missiles? seem weird.
Could be contrails, sure, maybe.

SassyLady
11-12-2010, 04:15 AM
saw the video on local news and it doesn't look like a contrail....the object seems to be moving quite rapidly, but I'm not an expert.

Gaffer
11-12-2010, 08:21 AM
It's a contrail alright. As a brief explanation, a contrail is like exhaust from an engine. A hot engine sucks in cold air and the vapors are expelled out the back.Hot engines comes into contact with cold air = contrails. Rockets and planes both make them.

SassyLady
11-13-2010, 01:12 AM
It's a contrail alright. As a brief explanation, a contrail is like exhaust from an engine. A hot engine sucks in cold air and the vapors are expelled out the back.Hot engines comes into contact with cold air = contrails. Rockets and planes both make them.

So, it could have been a contrail from a missle....?

Gaffer
11-13-2010, 08:20 AM
So, it could have been a contrail from a missle....?

Yes, and it's a missile or the afterburner on a single engine jet. Dual exhaust if they are close together.

NightTrain
11-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Yes, and it's a missile or the afterburner on a single engine jet. Dual exhaust if they are close together.

If the guy is correct in his theory that it was an airplane, it was a commercial flight (no afterburner) from Hawaii to Arizona, and that from where the footage was taken it was heading directly at them.

But if you were in LA looking at that contrail, it looked like a normal contrail which is why no one in the LA area reported anything unusual.

The commercial airplane theory would explain why LAX and NORAD or anyone else saw anything on their radars.

The guy in Bully's link explained it rather well, I thought, which is the first time ever that Bully has produced a worthy link.

Gaffer
11-13-2010, 07:13 PM
If it were an airliner it would have two to four contrails. This only has one. I didn't look at bully's post yet. His reputation for for posting truth and facts is pretty shoddy.

NightTrain
11-14-2010, 01:18 PM
If it were an airliner it would have two to four contrails. This only has one. I didn't look at bully's post yet. His reputation for for posting truth and facts is pretty shoddy.

I read you 5 by 5. I didn't bother looking at his link, either, until Kathi, MKP and Mr. P acknowledged it and said it was a good link. So I checked it out as well and it turned out to be worthwhile.

Kathianne
11-14-2010, 01:28 PM
I read you 5 by 5. I didn't bother looking at his link, either, until Kathi, MKP and Mr. P acknowledged it and said it was a good link. So I checked it out as well and it turned out to be worthwhile.

I was afraid that people weren't checking out his link, that's why I added the additional one and the admonishment to Bully, if he really wishes to converse instead of pontificate.

NightTrain
11-14-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't know why anyone didn't just ask Tony Stark in the first place.

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss293/NightTrain70/ironman-05_normal.jpg