PDA

View Full Version : My daughter's teacher conference

krisy
11-11-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm feeling the need to brag a little:2up:

Had teacher conferences last night for my daughter and it went great! She actually has 3 teachers(shes in the 4th grade). She started wearing hearing aids in the first grade and has really overcome a lot. Her teachers love,love her and said they have no complaints. i don't think my husband and I have ever had so much fun at a conference! All 3 understood the struggles hearing loss could cause her,yet have still managed to help her thrive.

for the first time ever she is going to get an award for honor roll grades for first quarter AND the good citizenship award as well! I might have seen that coming since the principal stopped me out of the blue while picking her up the other day and told me what a wonderful child she is!

the funny part of the conference was listening to the teachers talk about the fun they had with savannahs FM system. This is a mic the teachers wear so their voice will go right into her hearing aid. one of them said she likes to talk to savannah and tell her shes beautiful when savannah is at the other end of the hallway:laugh: Her language arts teach had us really rolling. she said that she forgot to turn the mic off one day while going to the bathroom!!!! The third teacher also has forgotten to turn it off while talking to other teachers in the hallway,and savannah found out that she recently got engaged by hearing her conversation throught the mic!!!!

she aslo recently got her high green belt in karate! Now,I'm hoping I can keep my 15 year old boy on the same track!! He has all a's and b's right now and just earned his yellow belt,but the fact we got him into karate is a major step since he is a bit more shy than my daughter. Lets just hope the x box black ops game doesn't interfere with that one!!!

Just wanted to share!

Kathianne
11-11-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm feeling the need to brag a little:2up:

Had teacher conferences last night for my daughter and it went great! She actually has 3 teachers(shes in the 4th grade). She started wearing hearing aids in the first grade and has really overcome a lot. Her teachers love,love her and said they have no complaints. i don't think my husband and I have ever had so much fun at a conference! All 3 understood the struggles hearing loss could cause her,yet have still managed to help her thrive.

for the first time ever she is going to get an award for honor roll grades for first quarter AND the good citizenship award as well! I might have seen that coming since the principal stopped me out of the blue while picking her up the other day and told me what a wonderful child she is!

the funny part of the conference was listening to the teachers talk about the fun they had with savannahs FM system. This is a mic the teachers wear so their voice will go right into her hearing aid. one of them said she likes to talk to savannah and tell her shes beautiful when savannah is at the other end of the hallway:laugh: Her language arts teach had us really rolling. she said that she forgot to turn the mic off one day while going to the bathroom!!!! The third teacher also has forgotten to turn it off while talking to other teachers in the hallway,and savannah found out that she recently got engaged by hearing her conversation throught the mic!!!!

she aslo recently got her high green belt in karate! Now,I'm hoping I can keep my 15 year old boy on the same track!! He has all a's and b's right now and just earned his yellow belt,but the fact we got him into karate is a major step since he is a bit more shy than my daughter. Lets just hope the x box black ops game doesn't interfere with that one!!!

Just wanted to share!

Oh Krisy! Congrats to Savannah and her proud parents! Tell her I'm so jealous, I wished there had been that type of help when I was in school. What a difference.

The stories of the teachers, priceless-especially the bathroom! LOL!

krisy
11-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh Krisy! Congrats to Savannah and her proud parents! Tell her I'm so jealous, I wished there had been that type of help when I was in school. What a difference.

The stories of the teachers, priceless-especially the bathroom! LOL!

I knew you would appreciate this Kath! I left her conference beaming with pride! Her teachers made us promise not to tell her she is getting the awards at the awards assembly....they want her to be surprised since she has never recieved one and it has bothered her in the past.

You should be proud of what you have accomplished in your life with hearing loss Kathianne. I think a lot of people think that its like putting on glasses and the problem is solved. even with her hearing aids she still may not hear something here and there and I've learned that there can be a very frustrating lack of good communication when you can't hear.(obviously)

I was telling my mom the other night that I wish that I could experience her level of hearing so that I know EXACTLY what its like for her. My mom said that's becuase your her mom and thats how mommies are!

Kathianne
11-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I knew you would appreciate this Kath! I left her conference beaming with pride! Her teachers made us promise not to tell her she is getting the awards at the awards assembly....they want her to be surprised since she has never recieved one and it has bothered her in the past.

You should be proud of what you have accomplished in your life with hearing loss Kathianne. I think a lot of people think that its like putting on glasses and the problem is solved. even with her hearing aids she still may not hear something here and there and I've learned that there can be a very frustrating lack of good communication when you can't hear.(obviously)

I was telling my mom the other night that I wish that I could experience her level of hearing so that I know EXACTLY what its like for her. My mom said that's becuase your her mom and thats how mommies are!

Indeed, that is the way mommies are. Good thing for all of us.

With my hearing aids, I bet I catch about 60-70% of what is said. Take them out? Almost nada. The other night I was staying over at my friend's house, watching tv, I put on captioning. Very annoying for her, but she endured.

Later, I took out my hearing aids since I was getting sleepy, noticed she 'upped' the volume. I told her, 'don't do that for me, captioning works fine.' Seems she did it for herself. I know because I asked, "Did you turn down the volume because I took off the aids?" "No, I turned it up, for myself." I heard nothing any loner. Not a word. Including commercials with their boosted volume. I could only read when captioning provided. She's known me for years and couldn't believe it.

Even with sophisticated hearing aids, the wearer has to have a clue to what the speaker is talking about. If one topic is expected and another is brought up, they'll be lost. I've been dealing with this for over 50 years, I do know.

The best thing to do for your daughter is to instill in her the desire to KNOW what people are talking about, not guessing. It's so much easier on one's ego to guess, at least when right. On the other hand, when one is way off, the looks kill you to the quick.