PDA

View Full Version : School Makes Boy Take American Flag Off Bike

Monkeybone
11-12-2010, 12:07 PM
http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-americanflagbike11122010,0,3045879.htmlstory

13-year-old Cody Alicea rides with an American flag on the back of his bike. He says he does this to be patriotic and to honor veterans, like his own grandfather, Robert. He's had the flag on his bike for two months but Monday, was asked told to take it down.

great timing... right before Veterans day... but the kicker is why.

A school official at Denair Middle School told Cody some students had been complaining about the flag and it was no longer allowed on school property. ......... the school was concerned about racial tensions or uprisings because of the flag.

Really!?!?!!! WTF! tell the Beaners (I know it doesn't state who.. but I will assume on this one) to shove it. Newsflash! We're in America! Seriously. Surprised at how much this upsets me... It is is Cali... those people really desreve what they get sometimes.

Thunderknuckles
11-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Shocking. Where are the spines of the school officials. What is most surprising is that this is occurred around Veteran's Day and they still caved. This kid is a proud American honoring our veterans, amongst whom his own grandfather is counted. Absolutely shameful on the part of the school officials.

EDIT: Interestingly the school's home page is unavailable at the moment but I did find the following:

Email address of Denair Middle School Principal Aaron Delworth is adelworth@dusd.k12.ca.us — or give the school a call at (209) 632-2510, Fax (209) 634-0269.

krisy
11-12-2010, 01:11 PM
I hope the national media gets a whiff of this.

Here's something also puzzling to me.....doesn't the school have an Amerian flag in the classrooms,on the property outside? My kids' schools do. i thought all schools did. are they going to take those down?

Jackasses

Nukeman
11-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Here's the email I sent the principal...

Principal Delworth,

I am quit certain you have received a great number of emails about this issue. I must say this is in VERY poor taste and bad form. Last I checked this child resided in the United States of America. How can you or your staff in good conscious tell a young man NOT to fly his countries colors, would you have been upset if he was waving the Mexican flag?? Since this area of the country is over populated with illegal's I can only assume that the issue is the Childs safety from other children?!?! If this is the case YOUR time would have been better spent in educating and instructing those "children" who complained about the greatness of this country!!!

All I can add is DISGUSTING!!!! UNPATRIOTIC!!! DIVISIVE!!! and PATHETIC!!!

this kind of crap really chaps my hide and causes more devision in the country!!! IMHO

Noir
11-12-2010, 02:33 PM

Here's something also puzzling to me.....doesn't the school have an Amerian flag in the classrooms,on the property outside? My kids' schools do. i thought all schools did. are they going to take those down?

Jackasses

I thought the same, but wasn't sure if it was a strengths or a truism.

As for the story, lawl, I hope the people that asked him to remove it feel like the fools they are.

DragonStryk72
11-12-2010, 02:39 PM
The whole "racial tensions" bit is what gets me. Think about it, what are racial tensions are being cause by one kid riding with the american flag on his bike, but not the american flags being flow in and about the school?

darin
11-12-2010, 03:00 PM
What does RACE have to do with the country's flag? (shrug). Cop-out.

Here's the thing - if it's about tension, nobody cares about the 'tension' caused by removing it. Hypocritical.

Little-Acorn
11-12-2010, 06:08 PM
The school changed their minds. Now he can fly the flag.

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-americanflagbike11122010,0,3045879.htmlstory

After being contacted by FOX40 Friday morning, Denair's Superintendent says Cody will be allowed to keep the flag on his bike. He told FOX40 he and the school are patriotic, but their main priority is keeping students safe; the school will focus on the students who are causing uprisings. Riding a bike is still not allowed on school campus, but when Cody rides his bike to school he can now fly the flag.

Now they say they "will focus on the students who are causing uprisings."

My question is: Why didn't they do that from the beginning?

http://www.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/World/bikeflag_397x224.jpg

darin
11-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Now they say they "will focus on the students who are causing uprisings."

My question is: Why didn't they do that from the beginning?

http://www.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/World/bikeflag_397x224.jpg

Because they are spineless. Schools, largely run by "progressives" avoid anything remotely considered 'conflict' - by any means necessary. Generally that means punishing the conduct which "Motivated the bad behaviour" vice punishing the bad behaviour.

NightTrain
11-12-2010, 10:46 PM
According to the superintendent, the problem is mexican kids pissed because of an incident over Cinco de Mayo.

Thunderknuckles
11-12-2010, 10:56 PM
According to the superintendent, the problem is mexican kids pissed because of an incident over Cinco de Mayo.

Figures. I'd vote to get rid of Cinco de Mayo if it wasn't so ingrained in American culture as an excuse to drink and have a good time :p
This is not the first time Cinco de Mayo has caused a stir at a school with a healthy population of latinos.

Bottom line, this is the United States and no one should ever be told to hide Old Glory under any circumstances. Far too many Americans gave their lives for that flag and what it stands for.

P.S. Why don't we ever problems with the Irish over St. Patrick's Day? Or do we?

:beer:

krisy
11-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I still think this stinks! They only backed off because of media pressure. The parents in this school need to speak up and back this kid. For a boy that age to be so patriotic is a great thing. Some of them are allready smoking dope,drinking,and just being stupid in general.

As far as Cinco De Mayo...who gives a crap? No American is obligated to celebrate that!!! Not sure what exactly their problem is,but I'm sick and tired of hearing stories about our flag being "offensive" on that day..bull sh*t! they should be told to celebrate it at home....this is the U.S......not an extension of Mexico!

Gaffer
11-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Cinco de mayo is not even a mexican holiday. It is just an excuse for drinking.

Trigg
11-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Cinco de mayo is not even a mexican holiday. It is just an excuse for drinking.

exactly it's a regional holiday in Mexico.

We do have to remember though, this happened in cali.

DragonStryk72
11-14-2010, 02:02 AM

Um, NightTrain, not to poke holes, but the Cinco de Mayo was back on 5th of May, and the kid didn't even have the flag up yet.

SassyLady
11-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Um, NightTrain, not to poke holes, but the Cinco de Mayo was back on 5th of May, and the kid didn't even have the flag up yet.

I think what NT was referring to was:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Students-Wearing-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

American kids wore T-shirts with flags on them to school on Cinco de Mayo ... American kids were suspended and sent home because it offended the hispanics.....

so, this current flap is because the hispanics were still in a flap and somehow think displaying the American flag is a slap in the face to them....can't figure that one out no matter what anyone says.....

NightTrain
11-14-2010, 02:17 AM

I know what Cinco de Mayo means.

I watched an interview with the Superintendent and the reporter asked about who was causing the problem about the kid and the flag, he answered that there was some sort of incident from Cinco de Mayo at the school previously.

The kids involved in the Cinco de Mayo incident are also involved in this incident. He didn't go into much detail, I suspect he senses the bomb he's perched atop.

NightTrain
11-14-2010, 02:24 AM
I think what NT was referring to was:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Students-Wearing-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

American kids wore T-shirts with flags on them to school on Cinco de Mayo ... American kids were suspended and sent home because it offended the hispanics.....

so, this current flap is because the hispanics were still in a flap and somehow think displaying the American flag is a slap in the face to them....can't figure that one out no matter what anyone says.....

Thanks, MKP.

You know, I remember hearing about that a while back. (early May, perhaps...? :laugh:)

That school district needs R. Lee Ermy to step in for a couple of years to straighten out that situation and get everyone on the same page.

DragonStryk72
11-14-2010, 02:28 AM
I know what Cinco de Mayo means.

I watched an interview with the Superintendent and the reporter asked about who was causing the problem about the kid and the flag, he answered that there was some sort of incident from Cinco de Mayo at the school previously.

The kids involved in the Cinco de Mayo incident are also involved in this incident. He didn't go into much detail, I suspect he senses the bomb he's perched atop.

I watched the interview too. He never mentioned Cinco de Mayo, just "racial tensions". That was it, he copped out on giving any further info.

NightTrain
11-14-2010, 02:37 AM
I watched the interview too. He never mentioned Cinco de Mayo, just "racial tensions". That was it, he copped out on giving any further info.

http://www.fox40.com/videobeta/?watchId=74dc92b0-5969-4a9e-88ff-d708569bd6d5

At 3:58 is where they begin talking about where the incident from Cinco de Mayo factors in.

SassyLady
11-14-2010, 02:37 AM
Thanks, MKP.

You know, I remember hearing about that a while back. (early May, perhaps...? :laugh:)

That school district needs R. Lee Ermy to step in for a couple of years to straighten out that situation and get everyone on the same page.

I think they should say the Pledge of Allegiance at the beginning of every class and ban Cinco de Mayo.

However, more than half of CA students are hispanic ... so I'm sure that saying the pledge will soon be a thing of the past.

DragonStryk72
11-14-2010, 02:51 PM
http://www.fox40.com/videobeta/?watchId=74dc92b0-5969-4a9e-88ff-d708569bd6d5

At 3:58 is where they begin talking about where the incident from Cinco de Mayo factors in.

Jesus, I missed that on the first play through. Wow, if they haven't nipped the problems from back then by now, some people need to be fired at that school.

Binky
11-14-2010, 03:16 PM

Jackasses

Or don't they recite the pledge of alligence like we did? And what about that kids rights to fly that flag wherever and whenever he wanted to?

NightTrain
11-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Jesus, I missed that on the first play through. Wow, if they haven't nipped the problems from back then by now, some people need to be fired at that school.

It's a different clip than the one in the OP, you didn't miss it. I should have included the link when I made my remarks.

But yeah, there's a bunch of chickenshits afraid to tell the mexican kids that they are in America, not Mexico, and this head-in-the-sand approach will lead to a large problem indeed on several levels, both short term and long term.

revelarts
11-14-2010, 04:06 PM
gonna vent here a bit...

I try to be a pretty open and tolerant fella but, God help me, this rubs me way wrong. Why the ---- would you go to someone else's country, Live better than you would in your old one and get pissed at the host country's people waving their own flags. That's Stupid, Ungrateful Arrogance that goes beyond the pale man. It used to be immigrants would be some of the ones waving the flag the hardest, so happy to have made it outta the old country into America. If you don't like the flag of the country you can go back where your mom came from. Your here now get with the program and be an American.
Gripe and moan about anything political all you want but do it as an American for America. We'll never be Mexico again and if that what you want your a traitor.

Adios Mio

SassyLady
11-14-2010, 08:32 PM
When this first happened in May I vented loud and long.....I have a 40' flag pole in my back yard ... so I think ya'll know how I feel about the flag!!

krisy
11-15-2010, 02:15 PM
HA!!

The national media has caught wind. Rush mentioned it today and Fox news.

Bet they're feeling pretty stupid!:salute: