PDA

View Full Version : Rangel Used PAC Money for Legal Defense

red states rule
11-15-2010, 04:55 AM
Is anyone surprised by this? Or that Rangel is still in Congress?

New York Rep. Charles Rangel, whose ethics trial starts tomorrow, appears to have improperly used political-action committee money to pay for his defense, The New York Post reported Sunday.

Rangel tapped his National Leadership PAC for $293,000 to pay his main legal-defense team this year. He took another $100,000 from the PAC in 2009 to pay lawyer Lanny Davis. Two legal experts told The Post such spending is against House rules. "It's a breach of congressional ethics," one campaign-finance lawyer said.

Washington, D.C., political lawyer Cleta Mitchell said there is "no authority for a member to use leadership PAC funds as a slush fund to pay for personal or official expenses." Leadership PACs are typically used by politicians to donate money to other candidates.

But Rangel seems to have run afoul of House ethics rules. Lawmakers are generally allowed to use campaign cash to pay their lawyers, but this is limited to money in their personal campaign committee and they must ask permission first, the campaign-finance lawyer said. "The only campaign funds that a member may use to pay for congressional expenses are funds of his or her principal campaign committee -- not the funds of a leadership PAC or a multicandidate committee," according to the House Ethics Manual.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/14/rangel-used-pac-money-legal-defense/

fj1200
11-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Not surprised by either actually.

red states rule
11-16-2010, 04:13 AM
Charlie is now pleading poverty and can't afford an attorney - then walks out of the ethics hearing in "protest"

Rangel, the once-powerful committee chairman who oversaw tax and trade policy, walked out of the proceedings in protest less than an hour into the process. With his political campaign account drained and a dispute going on with his most recent legal advisers, Rangel, 80, entered the hearing room as his own counsel. He pleaded for a delay so he could find time and financing for a new legal team.

"I object to the proceedings, and I, with all due respect, since I don't have counsel to advise me, I'm going to have to excuse myself from these proceedings," Rangel said, speaking without notes and interrupting Lofgren as he stood before the lawmakers.

Fresh off winning a 21st term, Rangel said he has spent more than $2 million from his campaign account on two legal teams, forensic accountants and media advisers. For the past month he has been unable to afford legal representation, and he is barred by the new strict ban on gifts from receiving pro bono legal help.

Unconvinced by his pleadings - Rangel had spent the past several months demanding a speedy trial - the subcommittee continued with its work after he left.

The panel will determine whether there is "clear and convincing evidence" that a violation of congressional rules occurred, Lofgren noted. A public verdict could come as early as Tuesday morning, once the panel members have voted on all 13 counts of violations alleged by an investigative subcommittee in July.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/15/AR2010111507411.html?wprss=rss_print

11-18-2010, 12:08 AM
He was found guilty and is not complaining about not getting Due Process.

Im surprised he isnt claiming racism.

fj1200
11-18-2010, 08:15 AM
He was found guilty and is not complaining about not getting Due Process.

Im surprised he isnt claiming racism.

He can't claim racism against his own party. It would expose the hypocrisy of those claiming racism against those who oppose BO's policies.