PDA

View Full Version : Sgt. Homo Rides Sgt. Homo Again, But Legally

Psychoblues
11-18-2010, 04:51 PM
I know that I am being a bit creative with that thread title but this is a serious subject and is deserving of competent discussion especially on a board like this and I wanted to get your attention. The article that I am going to share with you is from the Stars and Stripes, one of my favorite sources of genuine military information, and I think reflects the transition from dishonest service to the honest service by open homosexuals to be at least as forthcoming and hopefully as smooth as Secretary Gates alludes as referenced in the article.

I hope this thread can survive as I know that a lot of information has been lost in the last few days due to "major board hiccups" and even just last night or early today some information has been zapped. I wish the best for full board recovery.

Source: Stars And Stripes

Final DADT Survey Response Rate Under 30 Percent

By Leo Shane III

Sunday was the deadline for troops to complete the Defense Department's "don't ask, don't tell" attitudes survey, and officials at the Pentagon said the final tally on completed responses was 109,883 -- a response rate of only about 27.5 percent.

That's below the 30 to 40 percent response rate researchers from the University of Texas at Austin say an average email or online surveys should pull in, and well below the 52 percent participation rate officials at the Office of Personnel Management got in their similarly-structured 2010 Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey.

The Pentagon's survey was designed to help military leaders "assess the impacts, if any, repeal of 'don't ask, don't tell" might have on military readiness, military effectiveness, unit cohesion, and recruiting and retention," according to Department spokeswoman Cynthia Smith.

But from the start gay rights groups objected to the methodology and execution of the survey, and encouraged their supporters not to take part, which may have played a role in driving down the response rate..............................

More: http://www.stripes.com/blogs/stripes-central/stripes-central-1.8040/final-dadt-survey-response-rate-under-30-percent-1.114975

I think one of the most important observations here is that the general homosexual population in the armed forces resented the questions and the methodology of delivering the survey. They felt the survey would be entirely skewed in directions not in their best interests and the survey was essentially boycotted by many that would otherwise support the honest service to our country by open homosexuals. This would at least partially explain the low response percentage but even then I think it is important to note that many now report that approximately 75% of the respondents view service by open homosexuals positively.

I think this goes a very long way towards ending that which should have been ended decades ago. We as Americans are better than the unjust and dishonest policies that exist in the greatest military force in the world. And I think the survey will go a long way towards weeding out the possible troublemakers that propagate hate, fear and ignorance.

Read the entire article and if you like research it further. I find it fascinating and heartwarming to see our nation growing in such a good and positive way.

Love :laugh2:

Psychoblues

fj1200
11-18-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't like the fact that it sends the message that patriotism is limited for any gay person who would like to serve. Open it up and I'm surprised that BO hasn't signed an executive order on this.

I would like to see the Republican party get behind this rather than completely alienating another constituency.

Psychoblues
11-18-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't like the fact that it sends the message that patriotism is limited for any gay person who would like to serve. Open it up and I'm surprised that BO hasn't signed an executive order on this.

I would like to see the Republican party get behind this rather than completely alienating another constituency.

President Barack Hussein Obama is doing the executive and responsible thing. This is not exactly like the order put down by President Harry Truman racially integrating our armed forces. He is allowing the troops to voice their support and opinions and the General officers and Sec. of Defense to implement the policy in due course. In the meantime I think it is important to allow the American population to see wide open the attitudes and resentments of those who pass off their homophobia as simple opposition. In other words, regardless what the Log Cabin boys want or the fact President Abraham Lincoln was clearly a flaming homo (I think the American attitudes about homosexuality in 1800's were significantly different than what we think them to be today) the repubs today will show their cards on this issue and like you say, fj2000, alienate a significant constituency in the process.

Thanks for your observations, fj2000. Did you see my remarks to you in the GOP frosh thread?

God I love living in America!

Psychoblues

Mr. P
11-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Only 27.5% responded? I say do over is in order. That sort of response makes me wonder if the troops even had the form..kinda like so many that NEVER received their absentee ballots in time to vote this month. Seems fishy to me.

Psychoblues
11-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Only 27.5% responded? I say do over is in order. That sort of response makes me wonder if the troops even had the form..kinda like so many that NEVER received their absentee ballots in time to vote this month. Seems fishy to me.

Not so much, Mr. P. The University of Texas in Austin states their research would indicate a similar survey via email or online could expect only a 30% to 40% response rate. In this case there seems to have been problems with the questions, delivery and premise of the survey and was consequently and in effect boycotted by many. In other words, many that would support service by open homosexuals did not even participate. Even then the population that did choose to participate have reacted positively to service by open homosexuals. For all practical purposes many are serving openly now and as far as I know have been doing so for as long as I have been associated with the military which goes back to August 18, 1968. We sure as hell knew about them then and I don't recall any problems with them. In fact, I was very proud to serve with a couple of them.

This issue has been so politicized, polarized, propagandized, well you get the message. We just need to decide whether we support freedom and equality in this country or not. Many other countries don't seem to be having any problems with honesty in service and certainly the greatest military on Earth will not suffer in the interest of honesty, don't you think?

I think it was a good survey but I would not be opposed to a redo. I would, however, be adamantly opposed to political or organized interference. The propensity to accept open homosexuals into military service has now been clearly expressed by the troops themselves as positive and additional fact gathering would be somewhat of a misuse of tax dollars. Maybe the Veterans Administration could use that money, eh?

Thanks for those wonderful words that you gave me, Pee!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Mr. P
11-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Not so much, Mr. P. The University of Texas in Austin states their research would indicate a similar survey via email or online could expect only a 30% to 40% response rate. In this case there seems to have been problems with the questions, delivery and premise of the survey and was consequently and in effect boycotted by many. In other words, many that would support service by open homosexuals did not even participate. Even then the population that did choose to participate have reacted positively to service by open homosexuals. For all practical purposes many are serving openly now and as far as I know have been doing so for as long as I have been associated with the military which goes back to August 18, 1968. We sure as hell knew about them then and I don't recall any problems with them. In fact, I was very proud to serve with a couple of them.

This issue has been so politicized, polarized, propagandized, well you get the message. We just need to decide whether we support freedom and equality in this country or not. Many other countries don't seem to be having any problems with honesty in service and certainly the greatest military on Earth will not suffer in the interest of honesty, don't you think?

I think it was a good survey but I would not be opposed to a redo. I would, however, be adamantly opposed to political or organized interference. The propensity to accept open homosexuals into military service has now been clearly expressed by the troops themselves as positive and additional fact gathering would be somewhat of a misuse of tax dollars. Maybe the Veterans Administration could use that money, eh?

Thanks for those wonderful words that you gave me, Pee!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues I'm just surprised that only 27.5% responded. I mean with all the hoopla over the issue and getting the opinion of the troops, I would think there would have been some serious command emphasis to fill the thing out. Even if they just check "I don't care".

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the low response % was the annual CFC (combined federal campaign) we had every year and how they bugged the dog shit out of everyone for weeks to contribute.

And you're very welcome. :2up: :salute:

Psychoblues
11-19-2010, 02:19 AM
I'm just surprised that only 27.5% responded. I mean with all the hoopla over the issue and getting the opinion of the troops, I would think there would have been some serious command emphasis to fill the thing out. Even if they just check "I don't care".

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the low response % was the annual CFC (combined federal campaign) we had every year and how they bugged the dog shit out of everyone for weeks to contribute.

And you're very welcome. :2up: :salute:

I get your point, Pee, and agree to a point. I said earlier that I would adamantly oppose political or organized interference in this survey and that would include the CFC or the demands of the chain of command. The actual respondents appear to me to be a significant and adequate sample of the population affected and I would have to be convinced otherwise. The low percentage of respondents is actually pretty much on target and especially so considering the boycott by most of the homosexual crowd and their supporters. The 30% to 40% average participation was accurately forecast and considering circumstances was actually accomplished.

Like I said earlier, I am not opposed to any redo but any interference by chain of command, politicians, media, especially religious leaders (the nuts as gwb used to call them as they approached the White House) or by any other method that might be construed as tainting the results would render the results null and void and would put great pressure on accepting the results of THIS survey as truly representative. I still say, however, that any additional survey would be an unnecessary redundancy and the money could be used more wisely in other areas in the military or the VA.

Seriously, pee, them words keep ringing in my ears. Powerful, my friend. Powerful.

Psychoblues

fj1200
11-19-2010, 10:06 AM
President Barack Hussein Obama is doing the executive and responsible thing.

I think he's trying to avoid getting ripped a la Clinton in the 90's.

Thanks for your observations, fj2000. Did you see my remarks to you in the GOP frosh thread?

The rep? Yes.