PDA

View Full Version : Do Your Public Schools Decorate For the Holidays?

Kathianne
11-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Yesterday I was subbing in the local high school. I noticed in the morning that 4 huge stockings had been decorated and hung in the commons, (area of cafe like tables and chairs in large area of school entry. They sell drinks, snacks, and such there. Kids also sit and talk and study).

After lunch, I looked out my classroom window, that overlooks the commons, (yes, the commons is inside, so the window is a bit weird), and they'd rolled up all the tables, chairs and sofas. The schools are closed all next week, so I assumed it was to clean floors, which was correct. It also was to bring in the equipment to set up and decorate a mall size Christmas tree.

At the end of the commons is the main staircase to the 2nd floor, the handrails were decorated with greens.

I got to say, I never saw this much at the parochial school! :laugh2:

krisy
11-20-2010, 10:42 PM
At my daughters school the teachers decorate their classrooms as they desire and the halls are usually decorated with holiday artwork by the kids. They seemed to have loosened up about specific holidays. Used to be that the Halloween party had to be a "fall" party and the Christmas party had to be a "winter" party.

This year the kids were allowed to dress up for Halloween and have a parade at school like we did when we were kids! Apparently thats because the new principal is good with that. The old principal was great,but apparent;y got her ass torn off (by a couple of parents)for allowing "Halloween" parties and had to back away from holiday themed and do seasonal ones. She was a great principal tho. A few parents wanted to ruin it for everyone.

Kathianne
11-20-2010, 11:20 PM
At my daughters school the teachers decorate their classrooms as they desire and the halls are usually decorated with holiday artwork by the kids. They seemed to have loosened up about specific holidays. Used to be that the Halloween party had to be a "fall" party and the Christmas party had to be a "winter" party.

This year the kids were allowed to dress up for Halloween and have a parade at school like we did when we were kids! Apparently thats because the new principal is good with that. The old principal was great,but apparent;y got her ass torn off (by a couple of parents)for allowing "Halloween" parties and had to back away from holiday themed and do seasonal ones. She was a great principal tho. A few parents wanted to ruin it for everyone.

One of the kids said, "Hey they got the Christmas tree going up!" I said, "Christmas tree?" He replied, "That's what we all call it." LOL!