PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone Collect or Have Antiques?

chloe
11-20-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm watching the Antique roadshow, it's real neat to see stuff from history

Mr. P
11-20-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm watching the Antique roadshow, it's real neat to see stuff from history
I love to find old clocks that need repair. I only have one at the moment and it's not really an antique, late 1920s early 1930s. I also have some Indian head pennies but I'm not an active coin collector.

That road show program will get you shopping yard sales for that big find.

chloe
11-20-2010, 08:44 PM
I love to find old clocks that need repair. I only have one at the moment and it's not really an antique, late 1920s early 1930s. I also have some Indian head pennies but I'm not an active coin collector.

That road show program will get you shopping yard sales for that big find.

I used to have a 2 cent penny from 1865 but someone stole it from me. My family has old books, those are fun to look at but not as valuable as other kinds of antiques.

Gaffer
11-20-2010, 08:45 PM
I have four Davy Crockett original comic books from 1956, does that count.

chloe
11-20-2010, 08:47 PM

Sure antique collections are valauble and also sentimental. I was given a tea set that belonged to the lady who desigened the Wyoming State flag. The tea set is more valuable to me for sentimental reasons.

Mr. P
11-20-2010, 08:52 PM
I think that falls into the collector area..BUT I saw one comic on the road show priced in the 6 figures. I don't remember what it was though. Seems Crockett should be worth something.

chloe
11-20-2010, 08:54 PM
I think that falls into the collector area..BUT I saw one comic on the road show priced in the 6 figures. I don't remember what it was though. Seems Crockett should be worth something.

Some lady just had her wooden chest from 1850 just appraised at $60,000 WOW!!!

Mr. P
11-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Some lady just had her wooden chest from 1850 just appraised at $60,000 WOW!!!
Does a woman with a wooden chest need a bra? :laugh:

Gaffer
11-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Yeah a lot of older stuff is more sentimental than anything else. My comics are sentimental as I bought them when I was a kid.

chloe
11-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Does a woman with a wooden chest need a bra? :laugh:

I have an antique bra:laugh:

Mr. P
11-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah a lot of older stuff is more sentimental than anything else. My comics are sentimental as I bought them when I was a kid.
I know what you mean..they're priceless regardless of what someone may offer.

chloe
11-20-2010, 09:26 PM
What about thrift shops or swap meets? Anyone like doing that? I like going to the thrift shops and getting old magazine, one time I got a bunch of old national geographics. It was interesting looking at the ones from the 1960's-1970's they advertised vacuums alot LOL.

Mr. P
11-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Used to check out every Antique shop, thrift shop or pawn shop in any small town we flew into for the day. Kept us outta trouble and you learn a lot too.

chloe
11-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Used to check out every Antique shop, thrift shop or pawn shop in any small town we flew into for the day. Kept us outta trouble and you learn a lot too.

Yep its alot of fun and also its kinda neat to imagine what it was like back in those days. I like looking at old books and magazines. My Step dad has antique cars he collects, he also has a lot of clocks and guns.

Binky
11-21-2010, 08:45 AM
I have a nice coin collection. I also collect turqoise and silver jelewry. I have a wall tapestry of a huge dragon with nine claws, I think it is, all decked out in beading and gems and is about 5ft by 4ft. From Thailand. It's suppose to be something that only their leader would own. It's gorgeous. I have a wooden elephant that is approx. two ft long and a foot high in teek, I believe it is. And there are several other items all from Thailand in that group in our home. One such item is a monks bowl. Just all around fabulous stuff.

I stopped at a small antique shop a few years ago and the owner let my daughter and I snoop around in the backroom. I stumbled across a beautiful urnlike vase/pitcher in turquoise blue color. The design on it is all of gargoyles, imps, and such. The handle is made like a gargoyle. It is one of the most intriquing and beautiful pieces I've ever seen. I paid $9 for it but stilll haven't been able to find out anything about it.

I also have a big trashbag full of old comic books dating back to the late '60's and early '70's, And there are also some old Sex to Sexty mags in it as well.

When my parents passed on I inherited a very old collection of classical records, all 78s and in booklike albums. And I also have a small collection of 45s as well. And I have my moms old pump organ that she used to sit and play while we'd all stand around and sing to....

There's a bag of unique pez candies still in their cases hanging in my closet. And I have several mini bears and one is of Princess Di.

So I guess you'd call me a collector. It seems I have an eclectic sort of tastes as I just collect whatever attracts my attention. While working as a cashier I have received rolls of silver dimes, old wheat pennies and some silver certificates as payment for the merchandise. I therefore gave my boss the money for them, ( an even exchange) and they were added to my collection. But that was several years ago. Now I'm lucky if I stumble on a wheat penny or two. But that's fine as I already have a nice collection.

One day, my daughter and grandaughters will get it all. Which is the reason why I started collecting things decades ago....so I could pass them along....

Binky
11-21-2010, 09:10 AM
What about thrift shops or swap meets? Anyone like doing that? I like going to the thrift shops and getting old magazine, one time I got a bunch of old national geographics. It was interesting looking at the ones from the 1960's-1970's they advertised vacuums alot LOL.

I love going to those places. You never know what you'll see and find. A couple of years ago I bought an old book called, The Last Two Million Years, by Readers Digest. First printed in 1973. I found it in a resale shop and paid $3 for it. It's on the history of man...Awesome. And then I found one about actress Kathern Hepburn called, A Remarkable Woman, a biography, by Anne Edwards copyrighted in 1985. There's an old fan magazine on a closet shelf dating back to the late 1960's. Just something I bought ever so long ago that interested me at the time. Also in the late 60's to early 70's, I bought two books that were special to me. One was filled with the all the movies that Bette Davis had made to the date the book was published. And the other was one of every Johm Wayne flick he had made until that book was published. They're still sitting on my shelves today.

Oh yeah, how could I ever forget the hundreds of movies and video games we've collected. My hubby has collected most of those tho'. We used to own a video store and we had them all in it. There are old game systems around here. The Saturn. Turbo Grafix. Ninetindo. Super Nintendo. The Gennese. We have them all. And when we closed the store we stopped buying them except for an occasional game or a system hubby make like. But I don't think they've come out with any new systems for a few years now, or at least not one he's impressed with..

And then there's his gun collection....not too shabby and quite adequate.

Pagan
11-21-2010, 10:03 AM
I scored a hell of a deal last month, Solid Oak bed and dresser made around 1900. I picked up both for $700. Carved single piece Oak design on the headboard, they're awesome!

chloe
11-21-2010, 10:16 AM
I scored a hell of a deal last month, Solid Oak bed and dresser made around 1900. I picked up both for $700. Carved single piece Oak design on the headboard, they're awesome!

wow that is a good deal, how did you manage that was it an estate sale?

chloe
11-21-2010, 10:17 AM
I love going to those places. You never know what you'll see and find. A couple of years ago I bought an old book called, The Last Two Million Years, by Readers Digest. First printed in 1973. I found it in a resale shop and paid $3 for it. It's on the history of man...Awesome. And then I found one about actress Kathern Hepburn called, A Remarkable Woman, a biography, by Anne Edwards copyrighted in 1985. There's an old fan magazine on a closet shelf dating back to the late 1960's. Just something I bought ever so long ago that interested me at the time. Also in the late 60's to early 70's, I bought two books that were special to me. One was filled with the all the movies that Bette Davis had made to the date the book was published. And the other was one of every Johm Wayne flick he had made until that book was published. They're still sitting on my shelves today.

Oh yeah, how could I ever forget the hundreds of movies and video games we've collected. My hubby has collected most of those tho'. We used to own a video store and we had them all in it. There are old game systems around here. The Saturn. Turbo Grafix. Ninetindo. Super Nintendo. The Gennese. We have them all. And when we closed the store we stopped buying them except for an occasional game or a system hubby make like. But I don't think they've come out with any new systems for a few years now, or at least not one he's impressed with..

And then there's his gun collection....not too shabby and quite adequate.

we would have so much fun at the yard sales and thrift shops boo.

Kathianne
11-21-2010, 10:36 AM
I had a mahogany dining set and china cabinet from 1850's, got ruined in a flood. :(

All I have now are c.1830 English china and Irish crystal. Thanks great, great grandma that I never met. One of my great aunts brought it over from Ireland, I'm guessing to sell. Never happened though, obviously.

chloe
11-21-2010, 10:46 AM
I had a mahogany dining set and china cabinet from 1850's, got ruined in a flood. :(

All I have now are c.1830 English china and Irish crystal. Thanks great, great grandma that I never met. One of my great aunts brought it over from Ireland, I'm guessing to sell. Never happened though, obviously.

Real neat Kathianne and great sentimental value too !

Binky
11-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Sounds like very heavy furniture, yet very lovely to look at....

Binky
11-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Oh my goodness. That reminds me of some old china I have of my grandmas that she gave me when I got married. It's prob'ly about 60-70 years old now. However, I doubt I'd get much for it. Even tho' it all has 24 ct gold trimmed around each piece, there are so many age lines throughout each item that the set is no longer attractive. Still......it was my grams so I've not tossed it out.....Don't use it and I don't know what do with it other than just keep it around for remembrance sake...

Binky
11-21-2010, 11:23 AM
we would have so much fun at the yard sales and thrift shops boo.

You betcha girlie girl...You know, I forgot to mention that some of my turquois my hubby got me from a boyfriend my daughter had at the time. He was a truck driver and was driving thru Arizona and picked up an old Navaho indian and gave him a ride. The man paid for it with this boxful of jelwery. There was a fabulous silver cuff bracelet with three large turquoise stones in it. I silver necklace, two half inch turq. stones, not in a setting, a beautiful turquoise necklace that hangs to my boobs and has some gorgeous stones in it. There's also a beaded necklace, that was all hand beaded and looks like indian style and is a burnt orange in color. I don't even remember what all is in it as I haven't pulled it out and looked at the stuff or used them in awhile. Oh yeah, that turq, necklace has gold throughout it. The handiwork is flawless.... And I have no idea as to what it is all worth. Esp. that cuff bracelet.

Anyway, my daughters boyfriend didn't want the stuff and sold the whole box to us for $100. I've had it all since 1989. 21yrs. And $100 back then was a whole lot of cash for us to part with for something as jelwery. But I'm glad we did...

Pagan
11-21-2010, 11:24 AM
wow that is a good deal, how did you manage that was it an estate sale?

Actually it was one of the coders I work with

Pagan
11-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Sounds like very heavy furniture, yet very lovely to look at....

Actually Oak gets lighter with age, it threw me off and initially I didn't think it was Oak because it was light. I was bummed at first but bought it anyway because not only did I need a headboard/foot board but dresser and like the way it looked. I've got someone who is going to build me some furniture look at it and tell me that yes it was solid Oak. He stated that even when they were made it was expensive pieces and I got a complete steal, he figures it's at least 100 years old maybe more. :cool:

Binky
11-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Actually Oak gets lighter with age, it threw me off and initially I didn't think it was Oak because it was light. I was bummed at first but bought it anyway because not only did I need a headboard/foot board but dresser and like the way it looked. I've got someone who is going to build me some furniture look at it and tell me that yes it was solid Oak. He stated that even when they were made it was expensive pieces and I got a complete steal, he figures it's at least 100 years old maybe more. :cool:

Wow! That old eh? That's great...