PDA

View Full Version : Media and how we perceive issues

zefrendylia
05-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Public Knowledge of Current Affairs Little Changed by News and Information Revolutions
What Americans Know: 1989-2007
by the Pew Research Center
http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=319

Take the survey conducted by the Pew Research Center. Read the article! Enjoy.

darin
05-04-2007, 04:34 PM
What'd you get?

Thank GOD I watch FOX news, or I doubt I'd have gotten even 60% :)

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=179&stc=1&d=1178314442

Hagbard Celine
05-04-2007, 04:47 PM
I also scored a 96.

gabosaurus
05-04-2007, 05:17 PM
You have to define "media" first. Right-wing zealots only absorb news that has been sanitized for their protection.

zefrendylia
05-04-2007, 05:38 PM
I got a 96 and I haven't watched FOX News (voluntarily) since 2004. What do you know!

darin
05-04-2007, 05:54 PM
I got a 96 and I haven't watched FOX News (voluntarily) since 2004. What do you know!

:bsflag: Nobody can understand those issues w/o having a balanced news source, such as Fox News. :)

:dance:

5stringJeff
05-04-2007, 06:18 PM
You have to define "media" first. Right-wing zealots only absorb news that has been sanitized for their protection.

Says the left-wing zealot.

60% for me. Guess I should expand my TV time to include more than the NFL draft.

Kathianne
05-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Says the left-wing zealot.

60% for me. Guess I should expand my TV time to include more than the NFL draft.

96% here too. What is the one we're missing? Roberts?

Kathianne
05-04-2007, 06:24 PM
96% here too. What is the one we're missing? Roberts?

Not often I answer myself, I guess it's impossible to get 100% for some reason:

Thank you for taking our News IQ quiz. You correctly answered 9 of the 9 possible questions along with approximately 4% of the public. You did better than 96% of the general public.

diuretic
05-04-2007, 07:26 PM
60% for me....not that flash really oh well :cheers2:

zefrendylia
05-05-2007, 02:30 PM
:bsflag: Nobody can understand those issues w/o having a balanced news source, such as Fox News. :)

Pew Survey Finds Most Knowledgeable Americans Watch 'Daily Show' and 'Colbert'-- and Visit Newspaper Sites

By E&P Staff

Published: April 15, 2007 11:30 PM ET

NEW YORK A new survey of 1,502 adults released Sunday by Pew Research Center for the People & the Press found that despite the mass appeal of the Internet and cable news since a previous poll in 1989, Americans' knowledge of national affairs has slipped a little. For example, only 69% know that Dick Cheney is vice president, while 74% could identify Dan Quayle in that post in 1989.

Other details are equally eye-opening. Pew judged the levels of knowledgeability (correct answers) among those surveyed and found that those who scored the highest were regular watchers of Comedy Central's The Daily Show and Colbert Report. They tied with regular readers of major newspapers in the top spot -- with 54% of them getting 2 out of 3 questions correct. Watchers of the Lehrer News Hour on PBS followed just behind.

Virtually bringing up the rear were regular watchers of Fox News. Only 1 in 3 could answer 2 out of 3 questions correctly. Fox topped only network morning show viewers.

:ssex:

All I have to say is--wow.

darin
05-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Pew Survey Finds Most Knowledgeable Americans Watch 'Daily Show' and 'Colbert'-- and Visit Newspaper Sites

By E&P Staff

Published: April 15, 2007 11:30 PM ET

NEW YORK A new survey of 1,502 adults released Sunday by Pew Research Center for the People & the Press found that despite the mass appeal of the Internet and cable news since a previous poll in 1989, Americans' knowledge of national affairs has slipped a little. For example, only 69% know that Dick Cheney is vice president, while 74% could identify Dan Quayle in that post in 1989.

Other details are equally eye-opening. Pew judged the levels of knowledgeability (correct answers) among those surveyed and found that those who scored the highest were regular watchers of Comedy Central's The Daily Show and Colbert Report. They tied with regular readers of major newspapers in the top spot -- with 54% of them getting 2 out of 3 questions correct. Watchers of the Lehrer News Hour on PBS followed just behind.

Virtually bringing up the rear were regular watchers of Fox News. Only 1 in 3 could answer 2 out of 3 questions correctly. Fox topped only network morning show viewers.

:ssex:

All I have to say is--wow.

All I have to say is another :bsflag: That's either LIE, or severely misleading. :)

Hobbit
05-05-2007, 02:58 PM
I find it funny that those who watch news shows designed for entertainment value, such as the Daily Show or Rush Limbaugh, were better informed than those who read newspapers and news magazines, and far better informed than those who watch TV news. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I think it has to do with the entertainment value. If you're a news entertainment show, you can talk about the more boring, mundane news and still get viewers because the host talks about it in an amusing way. If it's just news and no opinion, you have to fill it up with celebrity gossip and special interest stories just to get people to watch/listen.

Edit: I, too, got a perfect score.

Nienna
05-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I find it funny that those who watch news shows designed for entertainment value, such as the Daily Show or Rush Limbaugh, were better informed than those who read newspapers and news magazines, and far better informed than those who watch TV news. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I think it has to do with the entertainment value. If you're a news entertainment show, you can talk about the more boring, mundane news and still get viewers because the host talks about it in an amusing way. If it's just news and no opinion, you have to fill it up with celebrity gossip and special interest stories just to get people to watch/listen.

Edit: I, too, got a perfect score.

Makes sense to me... if it is an entertaining show, seems as if people would pay more attention than if it was just a news show or paper. If I read the paper, I usually just skim it, and as for actually HEARING what is being said on the news or radio... well, we have a lot of background noise here. ;)

I scored a 70-- missed 2. :(

Hugh Lincoln
05-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I missed the minimum wage question.

05-05-2007, 04:20 PM
I missed the minimum wage question because i could have sworn it was stuck in the senate. so naturally they skipped over the other minumum wage question which was a piece of cake. Not bad considering i think the minimum wage is a joke and purposely ignored listening to the politicians praise themselves on ruining the economy.

Scored a 77.

Just wanted to note, its interesting men and women are scoring significantly different on the quiz.

Also it was interesting that it was the minimum wage questions that were missed the most by both genders. Looks like no one gives a damn about the minimum wage.

Hobbit
05-05-2007, 10:44 PM
I missed the minimum wage question because i could have sworn it was stuck in the senate. so naturally they skipped over the other minumum wage question which was a piece of cake. Not bad considering i think the minimum wage is a joke and purposely ignored listening to the politicians praise themselves on ruining the economy.

Scored a 77.

Just wanted to note, its interesting men and women are scoring significantly different on the quiz.

Also it was interesting that it was the minimum wage questions that were missed the most by both genders. Looks like no one gives a damn about the minimum wage.

The minimum wage was attached to the 'emergency war spending bill' (worst named piece of legislation since the 'fairness doctrine') that Bush vetoed. The standalone minimum wage bill is still in the senate.

This is what you learn when you pay attention more than you should.

loosecannon
05-05-2007, 11:17 PM

Do you know exactly what Faux news means with their slogan "fair and balanced"?

loosecannon
05-05-2007, 11:21 PM
All I have to say is another :bsflag: That's either LIE, or severely misleading. :)

Hardly, during the 2004 elections 50% of Americans still believed that WMD had been discovered in Iraq.

How many Americans could find Afghanistan on a map without nation labels today?

goober
05-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Scored a 77.

Well, the minimum wage was passed by the House, and it was in the bill that Bush vetoed, and now it's back in the Senate.

So It was passed, but it's not passed now.