PDA

View Full Version : The Health Care Debate, Right On The Front Page Of DP

Psychoblues
11-21-2010, 07:18 PM
I normally use FireFox and this link doesn't show up on the front page of DP using that browser. I came in a different way for the first time in months and there it was. I read through it and I find what Mr. Bill Cook has to say pertinent and seemingly supported by the owner of this board and hopefully by it's members. This is an essay and a link to an ongoing discussion. Bon Appetit'!

A CONVERSATION ON HEALTH CARE
with BILL COOK, FOUNDER OF COOK GROUP, INCORPORATED

For more years than I would like to count, the U.S. Congress has tried to find an affordable way to provide healthcare to every citizen. How can this be done? Congress must recognize that the most serious flaw in present healthcare is caused by difficult access to the system. This essay has one objective and that is to ask the reader to understand that easy access to the healthcare system is the key to successful medical legislation.

In 1953 I began my medical career as Medical Service Corpsman in the U.S. Army, based in San Antonio, Texas. I remember that San Antonio civilians without any insurance were admitted to Brook Army Hospital because there was nowhere else they could turn. As years passed I observed that many people continued to be denied easy access to medical treatment.

Because many uninsured or under-insured patients are not accepted by some physicians, it is very difficult for them to enter the healthcare system. By not having primary care access, citizens are not given opportunities to learn how to live a better lifestyle or to improve their health by utilizing comparatively inexpensive medical techniques. When many diseases are not treated in their early stages, misery and even death can result.

An example of a disease that often goes untreated is diabetes. Diabetes worsens as a patient grows older, resulting in loss of limbs, heart disease, and death. If diabetes is treated early, patients can lead productive lives. This treatment process can take place in a relatively inexpensive environment with local medical personnel and clinics.

As a nation we have unwittingly increased medical costs by not understanding how to lower costs: treat diseases early through the simple methodology of performing diagnosis, minor surgery, and drug regimens in a small, clinic environment.

Treating diseases early will save billions. First we must have easy access to clinics that are staffed adequately to handle some emergencies and minor ailments. Small clinics cannot only lower costs by catching diseases early but also prevent more serious complications later. Properly treated, many illnesses respond without the need for hospitalization and expensive life-saving diagnostic and surgical interventions.

We need low-cost or free primary clinics that are plentiful and spread throughout cities, towns, and countrysides. Because many expensive diagnostic tools are not needed in primary care clinics, the cost to build and maintain these facilities is minimal. When more elaborate tools are needed, patients would be sent to nearby clinic-hospital centers for additional treatment. These procedures would be paid for by Medicare or Medicaid type insurance programs or a newly created Federal insurance.

Major costs in the development of national primary care in “local clinics” would be for education and staffing of enough new physicians, technicians, physician assistants, nurses, and nurse assistants. It will be necessary to project how many primary care units are needed to take care of the 12 to 20 million uninsured or under-insured patients. Operation of these proposed clinics should be financially maintained by the Federal government. Small clinic staffing would be determined by estimating the number of admissions.

More and more links: http://healthcareaccess.cookmedical.com/?gclid=CJuUlcyPs6UCFbBl7AodtnDUag

It's a great conversation for those truly interested in the subject. Probably a bit dry for those only interested in stamping their feet and screaming "GET THE GUV 'MINT OUT OF MY MEDICARE".

Again, enjoy!

Psychoblues

Pagan
11-21-2010, 07:38 PM
You know he puts forth a pretty decent proposal, not bad.

The government funded Clinic's though should serve as Medicare/Medicaid along with being staffed by those who've received Government Scholarships for school. You know like the NROTC, we fund your collage but you have a commitment of 6 years of service, something along those lines.

jimnyc
11-21-2010, 07:41 PM
I normally use FireFox and this link doesn't show up on the front page of DP using that browser. I came in a different way for the first time in months and there it was. I read through it and I find what Mr. Bill Cook has to say pertinent and seemingly supported by the owner of this board and hopefully by it's members.

Ummm, PB, that was a "Google Ad" for Mr. Cook that you clicked on and is not affiliated with this site in any way. Probably in FF you have something installed, or something deactivated, that prevents the ads from displaying.

The good news is that I made money when you clicked, so I do appreciate it! :)

Psychoblues
11-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Ummm, PB, that was a "Google Ad" for Mr. Cook that you clicked on and is not affiliated with this site in any way. Probably in FF you have something installed, or something deactivated, that prevents the ads from displaying.

The good news is that I made money when you clicked, so I do appreciate it! :)

Well, you can't blame me for hoping, jimbo!!!!! I really thought you were serious about genuine reform for systems that are clearly broken, cost both the consumer and the taxpayers far too much time and money, and are deserving of examination by our best and brightest to come up with possible solutions that our politicians can agree upon without any underhandedness.

Well, so much for that hope. Dashed in one post.

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
11-21-2010, 07:58 PM
You know he puts forth a pretty decent proposal, not bad.

The government funded Clinic's though should serve as Medicare/Medicaid along with being staffed by those who've received Government Scholarships for school. You know like the NROTC, we fund your collage but you have a commitment of 6 years of service, something along those lines.

That's the kind of positive thinking and collective resource management we really need, Pagan. Thanks.

Psychoblues

fj1200
11-22-2010, 12:18 PM
A CONVERSATION ON HEALTH CARE
with BILL COOK, FOUNDER OF COOK GROUP, INCORPORATED

More and more links: http://healthcareaccess.cookmedical.com/?gclid=CJuUlcyPs6UCFbBl7AodtnDUag

It's a great conversation for those truly interested in the subject. Probably a bit dry for those only interested in stamping their feet and screaming "GET THE GUV 'MINT OUT OF MY MEDICARE".

Again, enjoy!

Psychoblues

He may have something but why the need for an additional government program to cover up for the failure of other programs? Let's look for an entirely new direction to serve uninsured/under-insured more effectively rather than band-aids on top of band-aids for the current situation that was born out of unintended government rules/regulations.

A start would be reduction in regulations that drive up insurance/HC costs in the first place as well as eliminating the tax favorability of employer-sponsored vs. self-purchased insurance. How about policies that cover medically necessary procedures vs. those that are mandated by Federal or State governments because someone thought they were doing their constituents a favor. How about tort reform which would begin to minimize repetitive testing because dr.s are performing defensive medicine.

There are all sorts of ideas out there but by basing new decisions on old/wrong decisions will not lead to a better outcome.

darin
11-22-2010, 12:58 PM
The gov't should be out of the public health care business. Charities and businessfolk do it better with more compassion. No public-funded options whatsoever would be a GREAT first step.

Psychoblues
11-26-2010, 11:45 PM
It has been made very clear that many of the diseases and health anomalies that exist are caused or aggravated by industrial pollution, food contamination, poor engineering of products, etc. Most regular people can't see or understand this. We need the government that does have the resources to oversee the general health of the communities to identify not just the above mentioned sicknesses but general trends in other diseases as well.

I am convinced that most if not all diseases are created, caused or aggravated from sources beyond the control of the patient but can be identified in community oversight. That being the case, I would want a central authority of some kind to help in health issues and educate the population in preventative measures and/or legal rights. It's only fair.

Psychoblues