PDA

View Full Version : The Ol' Baffoon tells some truth, imagine that!!

OldMercsRule
11-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Al Gore's Important Admission
By Andrew Cline on 11.23.10 @ 6:09AM

It may not seem like much, but Al Gore's recent admission that ethanol subsidies are bad policy is a really big deal.

"It is not a good policy to have these massive subsidies for (U.S.) first generation ethanol," Reuters reported Gore saying during a green energy summit in Athens. "First generation ethanol I think was a mistake. The energy conversion ratios are at best very small."

Read More:

http://spectator.org/archives/2010/11/23/al-gores-important-admission

There is only one reason we are forced to ruin our fuel systems, get crappy milage, and increase the price of our food with corn squeezins': Presidential primaries in Iowa.

The dim wits here in the State of WA have run most sellers of 100% gasoline away. I have ta really search ta find non alcohol fuel fer me tall Black Beauties on the stern of me fleet. The "Mercs" part of me name is for the old "Towers o' Power" I like ta run n' pee off the Liberals with, (they hate the screamin' of the 6000 plus rpms n' the 2 stroke smoke as they watch me walk away from their "4-pokes"). Yip yip yahooooo. :cool:

Marine applications of alcohol laced fuel are really bad in the wet climate here in God's country, (alcohol absorbs water). GRRRRRRRRRRRR

OldMercsRule
11-23-2010, 11:12 PM
http://www.pure-gas.org/

A list of stations that sell 100% gas. JR

NightTrain
11-24-2010, 02:53 AM
Mercury man, eh?

I went through puberty ripping on the recoil on my Dad's old 40 horse Merc. It probably wasn't the motor's fault, we just always overloaded that damn boat and flogged it for every RPM we could squeeze out of it. It broke down a lot.

I always had phenomenal luck with Johnson. Those 70 triples were bulletproof, I don't care how hard we flogged them up and down the river.

And here I thought you were referring to 'Mercenary' in your handle. :laugh2:

NightTrain
11-24-2010, 02:55 AM
Oh, regarding the OP : Algore is indeed a buffoon and his environmental quackery is quickly and widely losing credence, IMO.

red states rule
11-24-2010, 03:35 AM
Global warming is causing problems right before the Thanksgiving holiday

(Nov. 23) -- A powerful winter storm and frigid temperatures are turning roads slick and snowy across the West as peak Thanksgiving travel approaches.

Power outages and school closings were reported in the Pacific Northwest, and the snow isn't over yet. Blizzard warnings were posted today for parts of Idaho, Nevada, Utah and Colorado as the storm system moved east. It's expected to bring snow on Wednesday to the Dakotas and Minneapolis, the National Weather Service said.

"It's a fairly big storm," National Weather Service meteorologist Bruce Sullivan told AOL News. "I would suspect anybody leaving today is going to have some impact from the blowing snow across the Western states."

Blizzard warnings across Washington were ending this morning, following a rough Monday evening commute in the Puget Sound area, The Associated Press reported. With blowing snow, slippery roadways and low temperatures in the 20s, the trip home was a mess, AP said, with some commuters giving up after four hours and returning to their Seattle offices and others sticking it out as long as five hours.

http://o.aolcdn.com/photo-hub/news_gallery/6/9/695837/1290533883469.JPEG

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/west-blasted-by-pre-holiday-blizzard-cold-snap/19730704

OldMercsRule
11-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Mercury man, eh?

I like Johnnyrudes too. My Brother lives and fishes out of Cordova, and my Uncle and Cousin have been a presence in 'Dova since the Great Depression. I know fishermen like my Brother and Cousin hate Mercs, I luvingly call 'em my "Black Boat Anchors" which is their rep in 'Dova.

My Brother always wants me to try the "float test" with 'em! ;)

Fact is they are very fast and light weight and all of mine, (the inlines not the 25s which are newer), are over 30 years old, some over forty and run GREAT. My 1977 99.8 cubic inch 1500 only weighs 270 lbs and puts out 150 HP at the crank, no other production engine has a better HP to weight ratio.

They will blow any oldschool v-4 Johnnyrude out of the water on a similar hull, (not the newer Johnnyrude loopers which have many more cubic inches).

The inline sixes, (which are the Mercs I luv), are actually quite dependable if ya run 'em in fresh water n' keep a good water pump and also keep the fuel system clean. They may not be quite as reliable as the v-4 Johnnyrudes, or Yammadingers butt: after 1975 when the driveshafts were changed to stainless they weren't so bad in salt water either.

I went through puberty ripping on the recoil on my Dad's old 40 horse Merc. It probably wasn't the motor's fault, we just always overloaded that damn boat and flogged it for every RPM we could squeeze out of it. It broke down a lot.

My inline sixes don't break down, (the 1250 had over 5000 hours on it when #3 went), butt: I have three 2 cylinder 25HPs that give me more grief then my 25HP Johnson did. Pesky staters, triggers n' such.

I always had phenomenal luck with Johnson. Those 70 triples were bulletproof, I don't care how hard we flogged them up and down the river.

My parents had a 1967 Merc 500 that had the first generation Thunderbolt ignition that would run the battery down if the points got out of adjustment. GRRRRRRRR

I also didn't like Mercs based on that experince until I got the 1968 1250 I mentioned with the second generation Thunderboldt ignition. That engine never let me down, ('til my son took out #3 in 2005 hod rodding it in very cold water), and I fell in luv with those tall Purdy Black girls. I put that engine on a 14' Carlson Contender tunnel hull, (with PT), and got in going 74 MPH on Lake Washington next to the floating Bridge. Wow what a ride, I was hooked fer life.

I now have quite a few of the old Black Beauties, and they all run sweet and fast, ('cept the parts engines in me shed).

And here I thought you were referring to 'Mercenary' in your handle. :laugh2:

Nope. Although one of my Liberal pals on iboats did name me private island "Ruby Ridge Island" due to the fact that I like firearms which made his Liberal spincter pucker. JR