PDA

View Full Version : New Congress: Now the Hard Part Starts

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 04:43 AM
They have very little time to find out how Congress works, much less the machinations of the political class of both parties. I don't really know enough about economics to comment on the Simpson-Bowles proposal, but seems these comments on consideration merit consideration:

http://www.nationalreview.com/exchequer/253842/should-republicans-raise-debt-ceiling

Should Republicans Raise the Debt Ceiling?
By Kevin D. Williamson
Posted on November 23, 2010 3:30 PM

I am not at all convinced that congressional Republicans are serious about refusing to raise the debt ceiling, but I am pleased that Mike Lee and others are getting ready to make an almighty stink about it. As somebody famous once said, elections matter — and the Democrats, along with a few lukewarm Republicans, are about to get their first real experience of what Americans sent to Congress in November.

Advice to Republicans: You had better hold out for some real spending cuts.

You can already see the outlines of a deal shaping up in Washington, one in which Republicans give in on the debt ceiling in exchange for Democrats’ agreeing to extension of all the Bush tax cuts. That’s a bad deal for Republicans, and for anybody else who cares about fiscal discipline: It’s a bad deal for Republicans because, unless they do something stupid, they’re going to get their way on the Bush tax cuts, regardless....

My best guess is that the debt ceiling is going up. Nobody reasonably expects a Republican House to be able to prevail upon a Democratic Senate and President Obama to balance the budget today. But Republicans can — and must — insist on a real deficit-reduction program that is very largely focused on spending cuts rather than tax hikes, one that has some real teeth on the enforcement end of things. The timeline doesn’t have to be tomorrow, but it had better not have a 20-year grace period, either: Real cuts should start kicking in right now, and the deficit should be significantly reduced within five years and radically reduced within ten...

...And, speaking of Simpson-Bowles and the Bush tax cuts, I much prefer a Simpson-Bowles tax system (no deductions, top rate of 23 percent) to the Bush tax regime (crazy complicated deductions, top rate 35 percent). So, House Republicans could say, “Hey, look, we’re offering you jokers a bipartisan olive branch: We’ll drop the whole argument about the Bush tax cuts if we can go straight to implementing the bipartisan Simpson-Bowles program, for which we thank the chairmen and President Obama, who appointed them.” No, Simpson-Bowles is not perfect: But passing it does not preclude passing additional spending cuts down the line or additional reforms of our tax system. And if you want to get something in exchange for raising the debt ceiling, a program that actually lowers the deficit would be appropriate.

Why now? Why move so aggressively? Here is one reason: We are not out of the fiscal woods yet, by a long shot, and the Greco-Irish disease is going to make a showing in California, Illinois, New Jersey, and elsewhere. We had better have a real plan for controlling the national debt in place before we have to deal with the coming state meltdowns.

red states rule
11-24-2010, 04:49 AM
They have very little time to find out how Congress works, much less the machinations of the political class of both parties. I don't really know enough about economics to comment on the Simpson-Bowles proposal, but seems these comments on consideration merit consideration:

http://www.nationalreview.com/exchequer/253842/should-republicans-raise-debt-ceiling

They need to make some hard choices fast. The debt ceiling will have to raised in about 4 months. Now is the time to act

IMO, the newely elected Congress needs to take a chain saw to the budget

Obamacare - gone

Stimulus funds - gone

Financial reform - gone

Earmarks - gone

Rule #1 : If you can find the same service in the Yellow Pages the Federal government does not need to be funding the same service

Tax cuts across the board for everyone. Also, captial gains, and corporate tax cuts. Those will give a real and long lasting stimulus to the economy

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 04:58 AM
They need to make some hard choices fast. The debt ceiling will have to raised in about 4 months. Now is the time to act

IMO, the newely elected Congress needs to take a chain saw to the budget

Obamacare - gone

Stimulus funds - gone

Dinancial reform - gone

Earmarks - gone

Rule #1 : If you can find the same service in the Yellow Pages the Federal government does not need to be funding the same service

Tax cuts across the board for everyone. Also, captial gains, and corporate tax cuts. Those will give a real and long lasting stimulus to the economy

They can call for any of these things, but good luck in getting them through. I want to see bills proposed, but truth is, the best they are going to be able to do is slow or stop increases; keep spending and deficits at the forefront of news; and when possible stop funding on the implementation of parts of the above when possible.

Most important of all, let people know what they are doing and attempting to do, so they stay involved. Especially important if, a BIG IF there, the economy begins to improve.

red states rule
11-24-2010, 05:02 AM
They can call for any of these things, but good luck in getting them through. I want to see bills proposed, but truth is, the best they are going to be able to do is slow or stop increases; keep spending and deficits at the forefront of news; and when possible stop funding on the implementation of parts of the above when possible.

Most important of all, let people know what they are doing and attempting to do, so they stay involved. Especially important if, a BIG IF there, the economy begins to improve.

Kat you might want to consider this

Many Dems are up in 2012. I think about 25 Dem seats in the Senate are on the line. Who is to say self preservation may not take hold and some start to break from Obama?

Now idiots like Pelosi are a lsot cause, but look how many broke on tax cuts before this election and Dems punted on the issue rather then have the vote

It is clear Republicnas have to keep Obama on defense. Send those bill up every week and force him to veto them and then defend them in public

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 05:08 AM
Kat you might want to consider this

Many Dems are up in 2012. I think about 25 Dem seats in the Senate are on the line. Who is to say self preservation may not take hold and some start to break from Obama?

Now idiots like Pelosi are a lsot cause, but look how many broke on tax cuts before this election and Dems punted on the issue rather then have the vote

It is clear Republicnas have to keep Obama on defense. Send those bill up every week and force him to veto them and then defend them in public

Some of those democrats will cross, no doubt on that. Obama still has the veto and most of the Democrats left are very much to the left. The left is now more ideological 'pure' than the right. As the article stated, the chance for repeal of the Bush cuts are low, regardless of how the new Congress votes. No one wants, makes that 'is willing' to appear to raise taxes right now.

red states rule
11-24-2010, 05:14 AM
Some of those democrats will cross, no doubt on that. Obama still has the veto and most of the Democrats left are very much to the left. The left is now more ideological 'pure' than the right. As the article stated, the chance for repeal of the Bush cuts are low, regardless of how the new Congress votes. No one wants, makes that 'is willing' to appear to raise taxes right now.

But all the Dems will do if they continue to flip off the voters will be to sign their own political death warrent and then the real cleanup will start in Jan 2013 when the next wave of conservative Tea Party candidates take office

Same goes for the newly elected Republicans as well

Well off to work Kat. Have a great day and you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 05:20 AM
But all the Dems will do if they continue to flip off the voters will be to sign their own political death warrent and then the real cleanup will start in Jan 2013 when the next wave of conservative Tea Party candidates take office

Same goes for the newly elected Republicans as well

Well off to work Kat. Have a great day and you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!

Thank you, same to you and yours.

There are some democrats who are vulnerable but who weren't up for re-election that will cross. There are the remainder though, from areas that make their seats safe. Many of these are willing to go further left than Obama, at least until/if he decides not to run again. Even with the vulnerable, there are not enough for over ride of veto, which I do believe Obama will use if forced to.

fj1200
11-24-2010, 02:16 PM

SB, on its face, sounds good to me. And remember that tax revenues are a function of GDP and not the tax rate. I think the only way to really hold the line on tax cuts is to hold them hostage against the debt ceiling. It would be interesting to see how an argument of shutting down the government would work this year vs. against Clinton.

They need to focus on getting some growth back into the economy, tax cuts are the only way to do that right now. Spending cuts will be nice but alone won't really accomplish anything.

red states rule
11-26-2010, 05:12 AM
SB, on its face, sounds good to me. And remember that tax revenues are a function of GDP and not the tax rate. I think the only way to really hold the line on tax cuts is to hold them hostage against the debt ceiling. It would be interesting to see how an argument of shutting down the government would work this year vs. against Clinton.

They need to focus on getting some growth back into the economy, tax cuts are the only way to do that right now. Spending cuts will be nice but alone won't really accomplish anything.

Spending cuts will help keep money in the private sector thus increasing the growth of the economy

The private sector can spend money more effectively and efficiently then govenrment can

We need both tax cuts and sepnding cuts to send a message to the provate sector this government is serious in keeping their campaign promisies