PDA

View Full Version : Rep System and Thanks

jimnyc
11-24-2010, 10:23 AM
The rep system allows us to show appreciation to someone who makes a good post, and show our "disgust" with truly bad posts. As we all know by now, many can positive rep someone just because they are friends and they can negative rep someone just because they don't like them. The "spirit" of the system is intended to be solely for the post someone made but there is very little that can be done to enforce this.

The thanks system allows for a member to thank another member for a good post and it will visually show up under said post for the entire board to see that the post was thanked, and by whom. There is no negativity involved with this system.

Even the Republican/Conservatives of this board will admit they are in the majority here, which can lead to possible abuse of the rep system. Almost every liberal that posts here gets hammered and their rep goes down to zero. Guests then see the rep power and rep when reading threads.

I'm hoping to come to a board agreement on the best way to move forward. Do we eliminate the rep system? Do we leave it alone? Do we lower the values? (Main issue here is the amount of rep many have earned, and I know would be insulted if we took it away).

With a majority of one affiliation on the board, is there any way that the rep system can remain fair?

Do we have any issues with the thanks system? That one I believe can remain as is, but figured I would ask about that one too.

Let's get some feedback going. Please keep it civil between party affiliations and don't name names. This is another chance for the community as a whole to have input, and I'd rather it remain a positive thread and we all learn from it.

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 10:31 AM
The rep system allows us to show appreciation to someone who makes a good post, and show our "disgust" with truly bad posts. As we all know by now, many can positive rep someone just because they are friends and they can negative rep someone just because they don't like them. The "spirit" of the system is intended to be solely for the post someone made but there is very little that can be done to enforce this.

The thanks system allows for a member to thank another member for a good post and it will visually show up under said post for the entire board to see that the post was thanked, and by whom. There is no negativity involved with this system.

Even the Republican/Conservatives of this board will admit they are in the majority here, which can lead to possible abuse of the rep system. Almost every liberal that posts here gets hammered and their rep goes down to zero. Guests then see the rep power and rep when reading threads.

I'm hoping to come to a board agreement on the best way to move forward. Do we eliminate the rep system? Do we leave it alone? Do we lower the values? (Main issue here is the amount of rep many have earned, and I know would be insulted if we took it away).

With a majority of one affiliation on the board, is there any way that the rep system can remain fair?

Do we have any issues with the thanks system? That one I believe can remain as is, but figured I would ask about that one too.

Let's get some feedback going. Please keep it civil between party affiliations and don't name names. This is another chance for the community as a whole to have input, and I'd rather it remain a positive thread and we all learn from it.

I'd say, "leave it alone" though perhaps if someone feels they are being unfairly negged, they let a mod know-adjustments can be made. If someone is using the system to punish or jack up someone's rep, adjustments can be made. (everyone should hear that!)

I've mentioned before that it might not be a bad idea to have a thumbs down to pair with the 'thanks' ability. One way to show disagreement without negging?

darin
11-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Appeal system for Rep when users are repped out of 'retaliation' - not for specific reasons with their specific post?

jimnyc
11-24-2010, 10:55 AM
I'd be more than happy to look into any rep abuse, but many will complain no matter why they got neg repped and claim it's abuse. One can neg rep someone for starting a thread bashing GWB - whereas the thread starter will say their thread is legit and something they wanted to discuss.

I don't think there is any "fixing" the system, it is what it is.

What about possibly lowering the point system? Right now, some members can neg rep someone like 40,000 points, and the receiver will need like 5 years to get back to even! Then again, if we lower the "reppers" points, they will be pissed that they are losing points that took so long to gain.

I don't see any way to make everyone happy on this one. But people take this system far too seriously. I said from the very beginning that this was to be a "fun" thing for the board and not a legit way to gauge other members posting habits/styles.

But to anyone reading this - you can ALWAYS contact a staff member if you think someone is neg repping you just to piss you off. Staff has the ability to delete such rep comments which also gives you your points back. (or maybe only Admins have that ability, Darin, myself or MtnBiker) <-- not sure about that last part, but I do know staff will take it seriously and handle the matter. Even 'ol Psychoblues can vouch for the fact that I deleted about 50 or so neg reps he received in the past.

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I'd be more than happy to look into any rep abuse, but many will complain no matter why they got neg repped and claim it's abuse. One can neg rep someone for starting a thread bashing GWB - whereas the thread starter will say their thread is legit and something they wanted to discuss.

What about possibly lowering the point system? Right now, some members can neg rep someone like 40,000 points, and the receiver will need like 5 years to get back to even! Then again, if we lower the "reppers" points, they will be pissed that they are losing points that took so long to gain.

I don't see any way to make everyone happy on this one. But people take this system far too seriously. I said from the very beginning that this was to be a "fun" thing for the board and not a legit way to gauge other members posting habits/styles.

But to anyone reading this - you can ALWAYS contact a staff member if you think someone is neg repping you just to piss you off. Staff has the ability to delete such rep comments which also gives you your points back. (or maybe only Admins have that ability, Darin, myself or MtnBiker) <-- not sure about that last part, but I do know staff will take it seriously and handle the matter. Even 'ol Psychoblues can vouch for the fact that I deleted about 50 or so neg reps he received in the past.

Lowering the points across the board? I've no problem with that, I believe it's been done before? I think you are correct about needing admin to delete comments and get 'back' points.

Seems this used to be more of a problem, just one person that often incites problems complained about it. On the other hand, if they keep getting negged, cause someone didn't like one post and as dmp described it, retaliates repeatedly? Unfair. There should be some punishment in points for such too, IMO.

revelarts
11-24-2010, 11:30 AM
I love the THANKS, It's a great way to let people know you support their comments.

The reps are cool but I'm not sure How much. And I've found that I can't rep someone a few times in a row Until I rep a few others a bit frustrating. I don't know how that works. So Reps are Ok. I like Giving um and its nice getting um but I could live without um, easily.

(BTW thanks to everyone who've givin me reps, I can't figure out exactly to do a quick thanks back since the upgrade, but uh, THANKS.)

Palin Rider
11-24-2010, 01:21 PM
If the goal is to debate a topic, then reps and thanks are just noise. They don't add value to either side; all they do is distract.

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 01:26 PM
If the goal is to debate a topic, then reps and thanks are just noise. They don't add value to either side; all they do is distract.

Purpose of the board is as much social as political. Indeed, for someone that constantly snarks and plays linguistics, to feign surprise at their 'reputation' on a board is quite humorous.

Palin Rider
11-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Purpose of the board is as much social as political. Indeed, for someone that constantly snarks and plays linguistics, to feign surprise at their 'reputation' on a board is quite humorous.

Social conversations belong in the Lounge, pet forum, humor forum, etc. "Reputation" is used by people who'd rather pollute the political discussions than address the issue. :poke:

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Social conversations belong in the Lounge, pet forum, humor forum, etc. "Reputation" is used by people who'd rather pollute the political discussions than address the issue. :poke:

You haven't any decision making power, perhaps you missed that? :laugh2:

As for 'addressing the issues,' have yet to see you do so. You run away, come back and say you 'won.' Then, repeat.

gabosaurus
11-24-2010, 01:42 PM
I like the "thanks" system. Posters are more honest and use it sparingly.
The "rep" system has always been a conservative circle jerk. It serves no purpose and should be eliminated.

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 01:47 PM
The "rep" system has always been a conservative circle jerk. It serves no purpose and should be eliminated.

I don't recall anyone accusing you of being conservative, yet you seem to have a bit. :rolleyes:

Palin Rider
11-24-2010, 01:48 PM
You haven't any decision making power, perhaps you missed that? :laugh2:
Jim was asking for feedback; obviously YOU missed THAT.

As for 'addressing the issues,' have yet to see you do so. You run away, come back and say you 'won.' Then, repeat.
Don't try to suck me into an off-topic conversation just because you don't want any changes to the board. That's real dishonesty.

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Jim was asking for feedback; obviously YOU missed THAT.

Don't try to suck me into an off-topic conversation just because you don't want any changes to the board. That's real dishonesty.

:laugh2:

Gaffer
11-24-2010, 02:35 PM
I usually rep someone when I really like their post. I will neg rep when they are really getting stupid with name calling or disgusting posts. And I'm one of those that can make or break a new poster rep wise. But I can take or leave the rep. I use the thanks button very frequently tho. I wouldn't mind seeing a thumbs down button for when I don't agree with something but it really doesn't warrant neg rep. Maybe some up and down thumbs to go along with the thanks button.

fj1200
11-24-2010, 02:37 PM
People can see where a poster is "thanked" but they are not able to see when a poster is "repped." It seems thanking is the more transparent visible means of giving positive feedback.

I hardly ever know which post gets thanked though, is there a way to see thanked posts?

NightTrain
11-24-2010, 02:47 PM
I think it's fine the way it is.

Of course Palin Rider would object to it, I got a chuckle out of it when he bitched about it in the other thread.

If you act like an ass you get neg repped.

And you're right on the money, Kathi. How Gabby is in the positives is beyond me, and here she is claiming a 'conservative circle jerk'.

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 02:51 PM

Of course Palin Rider would object to it, I got a chuckle out of it when he bitched about it in the other thread.

And you're right on the money, Kathi. How Gabby is in the positives is beyond me, and here she is claiming a 'conservative circle jerk'.

LOL! Actually Gabby has posted some very good posts especially regarding education and kids. Did you catch her post on Pelosi? I'm pretty sure I repped her on that one. Of course, we see the issue from different perspectives. :laugh2:

Have a great Thanksgiving!

NightTrain
11-24-2010, 02:59 PM
LOL! Actually Gabby has posted some very good posts especially regarding education and kids. Did you catch her post on Pelosi? I'm pretty sure I repped her on that one. Of course, we see the issue from different perspectives. :laugh2:

Have a great Thanksgiving!

I try not to read much of her postings and skip to the next person in the thread, especially after going back a year in her posting history in that thread... I still feel revulsion with the glimpse into her mind, and that's no joke.

You have a great Thanksgiving, too, Kathi!

Gaffer
11-24-2010, 03:33 PM

I have her on ignore, have had her there since she joined the board. That is the only reason she still has positive rep. I can't neg rep her on ignore. And I won't take her off ignore just to neg rep her. Too much trouble.

SassyLady
11-24-2010, 03:47 PM
I absolutely love the Thanks button .... it's like an instant "hey, good point". I also think it cuts down on the number of posts in a thread (all those ones that were posted to show support) so there is less reading of the backslapping support and more time to read the actual discussion going on.

I also like the Rep system ... it's more of a one-to-one slap on the back ... with a private message about the post.

I don't hand out negative reps ... no matter how nasty or offensive the post is.....I figure that the person making the nasty/ugly post will not change their posting style just because I neg rep them. If they've gotten that ugly and offensive they are not going to change.

And, in all the years I've been here I think I've only had to "report" one post.

I think the system works ... in any societal group there are norms established by the group .... if one works within those norms they will be accepted into the group and thrive. I really don't understand why an outsider feels they can enter a group and demand changes to accommodate their sensitivies.....if the system doesn't work for them, then they need to move on.

Perhaps there is a way to make the neg reps less of a hit ... say 50% power of a positive rep .... to take some of the sting out. I don't know if one has to spread the neg rep around like the pos rep, but it seems that would be an appropriate way to regulate.

I do like the idea of the thumbs up and thumbs down.

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 04:38 PM
I absolutely love the Thanks button .... it's like an instant "hey, good point". I also think it cuts down on the number of posts in a thread (all those ones that were posted to show support) so there is less reading of the backslapping support and more time to read the actual discussion going on.

I also like the Rep system ... it's more of a one-to-one slap on the back ... with a private message about the post.

I don't hand out negative reps ... no matter how nasty or offensive the post is.....I figure that the person making the nasty/ugly post will not change their posting style just because I neg rep them. If they've gotten that ugly and offensive they are not going to change.

And, in all the years I've been here I think I've only had to "report" one post.

I think the system works ... in any societal group there are norms established by the group .... if one works within those norms they will be accepted into the group and thrive. I really don't understand why an outsider feels they can enter a group and demand changes to accommodate their sensitivies.....if the system doesn't work for them, then they need to move on.

Perhaps there is a way to make the neg reps less of a hit ... say 50% power of a positive rep .... to take some of the sting out. I don't know if one has to spread the neg rep around like the pos rep, but it seems that would be an appropriate way to regulate.

I do like the idea of the thumbs up and thumbs down.

Very good point about the thanks button and cutting down on 'I agree' posts.

Neg rep is already at 1/2 power, I do believe.

I like the thumbs up and down for the same as thanks. Quicker and gives an alternative to negging! I don't neg often, it takes real diligence on the part of any poster I do neg. :laugh2:

NightTrain
11-24-2010, 05:53 PM
I hardly ever know which post gets thanked though, is there a way to see thanked posts?

There's no notification of the 'thanks' function, you have to go back through the thread manually.

I would imagine that if you did get notifications, half the people here would have a ton of alerts and it would quickly become cumbersome.

jimnyc
11-24-2010, 06:38 PM
There's no notification of the 'thanks' function, you have to go back through the thread manually.

I would imagine that if you did get notifications, half the people here would have a ton of alerts and it would quickly become cumbersome.

Quite correct, Sir! BUT, next to each post it will show how many thanks a user has given out, and then how many received from how many posts.

I see there is really no easy solution to this. Everyone likes different things and different options for different reasons. Some dislike things entirely. At least one member stated that our main goal here is to debate and worries such as this only get in the way - and I agree. But my job as owner/admin is to ensure everyone is pleased, or help as many as I can.

I think the overwhelming majority like the "Thanks" system. For those that aren't aware, at the bottom of each and every post, under the users signature, on the left side, is a button that says "Thanks". You just click that if you want to thank another member for their post.

As for a "dislike", or "thumbs down" option, I did a brief search thus far and can't find anything like that. I'll keep an "ear" out for it though.

The rep system? Maybe keep it as is for now. Reiterate to everyone that it's there for members to have enjoyment with, not to be taken 100% seriously. BUT, if ANY member feels they received a rep unjustly, let a staff member know and I guarantee you it will be taken seriously and fixed. Hopefully this will allow everyone to enjoy the thanks ability, and for everyone to "try" and enjoy the rep system, and we will do what we can to put an end to any type of abuse.

I'm of course still willing to watch this thread and take further advice and make changes if it's best for the board and its members. I am also always on the lookout for add-ons that are released that can benefit the board lik this, or hopefully some day a better system that would eliminate this problem (doubt that'll ever happen!)

Mr. P
11-24-2010, 09:29 PM

She's Bi but doesn't know it. :laugh:

gabosaurus
11-24-2010, 11:07 PM
If you want to have a rep system, you should have a fair one. A positive rep is plus-1. A negative rep is minus-1. Otherwise, it gives certain people too much power. And they love having the power. Look at Gaffer's statement of "And I'm one of those that can make or break a new poster rep wise." That is what I am talking about with the conservative circle jerk comment.
And eliminate the rep comments part. Anything you have to say to someone should be done on the board. Or shoot them a PM.

Mr. P
11-25-2010, 12:26 AM
If you want to have a rep system, you should have a fair one. A positive rep is plus-1. A negative rep is minus-1. Otherwise, it gives certain people too much power. And they love having the power. Look at Gaffer's statement of "And I'm one of those that can make or break a new poster rep wise." That is what I am talking about with the conservative circle jerk comment.
And eliminate the rep comments part. Anything you have to say to someone should be done on the board. Or shoot them a PM.
Ah yes, power. Something left wingers don't really understand is that with power comes responsibility. Gaffer has exercised that by ignoring you. Not abusing you with his power. See how that works?

Psychoblues
11-25-2010, 01:04 AM
No one has bothered to ask, but yes, jimnyc has deleted many neg reps from my account. And I believe he did so because he believed the poster giving the neg rep was abusing his "privilege?" It didn't come close to stopping it but it did make me feel a bit better even if only momentarily. Just a few days ago, however, one of the administrators did his little dirt to me about 7 or 8 times in 4 or 5 minutes. I'm a big boy and I can live with it.

It has been many years ago that I had a talk with GunnyL. Most of you probably know him. After that conversation I have never neg repped anyone. Not one time, not once. Way too often the negs come from simple differences of opinion and way too often the power that gaffer describes above is used just because they don't like the poster and for no other reason disagreeable or not.

The system is good if not abused or taken for granted. In this case, however and like Gabby says, it's pretty much a "conservative circle jerk." You gotta hand it to Gabby, love her or hate her she's gonna tell you what she thinks and I always admire that.

The thanks system is very good. I'm just now coming around to it and I try to remember it. There are a number of good posts that whether I agree or not it is evident the poster put some work and thought into what they had to say. I say Hoorah to the thanks system but without better oversight by the management for the abuses of the rep system then it should just go altogether.

Yall have a great TURKEY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

jimnyc
11-25-2010, 06:57 AM
Psycho - check your PM's. Suffice to say, your complaint has been handled.

If anyone else feels they are treated unfairly Re: the rep system, shoot me a PM and I will look into it and fix if necessary.

jimnyc
11-25-2010, 07:02 AM

I like this idea - but here's the hard part: how do you deal with the points that someone has accumulated. If we are going to go with a +-1 system going forward - how do we handle people who have 2 million points, or those with -500,000?

And if you say "just start everyone over at 0" - what do you say to the people who are angry that it took them years to accumulate such rep?

There is no magic formula to reduce the rep as the amount received changed depending on who gave it to them.

darin
11-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Starting everyone over smells of Socialism. The whole "nobody should have the advantage" concept - tossing it in the face of those who work hard to positively contribute.

Gaffer
11-25-2010, 09:44 AM
This has a familiar smell. I have too much rep and it should be taken from me and given to someone else. I back people that I think have said something outstanding or something really funny. I'm conservative with my rep. Rep is not all that important, when you die you can't take it with you. If you want my rep come and take it.

The liberal mind of taking other peoples things is mind boggling.

crin63
11-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi All!

I stopped by to look around for few minutes and saw this thread. My personal opinion is that reps are more important than how many posts someone blithers all over the board. No offense meant to anyone in particular, I'm just talking in generalities.

It always seemed to me that it was more important what you say, rather then how much you run your mouth so to speak. Of course someone who has 100,000 posts is going to have higher reps than someone who has 2,500 posts even though 80% of the 100,000 posts are not rep worthy. Personally what I think is more telling is rep points in relation to the amount of posts someone has. After you have a couple hundred posts to establish a track record then there should be rep average.

I think in the couple years I was here that I only neg repped 5 or 6 times tops. By the way gabby earned everyone that I gave her, it wasn't bias because she is a Liberal. It was because what she said was way over the top insanity.

I like the thanks system and a thumbs down who be a great addition.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

darin
11-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Tell the truth you piece of crap. You go on and on and on. You dig and you dig and you dig. You flame and you insult. When you get the reputation you deserve you try to use "it's just humor" as your defense. You boo-hoo cry about being abused, but you are one of the nastiest, offensive, and least-value-added user I've seen in years.

If you had the balls to honestly discuss and debate without your fucking pathetic little digs you'd have had a lot less negative rep - because while people don't often like one-another, people RESPECT folks who disagree honorably. You are NOT one of those people. You disagree violently and personally and with dishonor, disrespect, and disruption - and EARNED every bit of negative reputation you had...and will have again if you don't change your ways.

I believe the thing about a leopard and spots...your bullshit will continue, and your reputation score will plummet...and you'll once again cry and cry about 'abuse' - which is nothing more than people calling you on your bullshit.

Take your fake wishes for Thanksgiving and shove them up your ass - right next to your head.

No one has bothered to ask, but yes, jimnyc has deleted many neg reps from my account. And I believe he did so because he believed the poster giving the neg rep was abusing his "privilege?" It didn't come close to stopping it but it did make me feel a bit better even if only momentarily. Just a few days ago, however, one of the administrators did his little dirt to me about 7 or 8 times in 4 or 5 minutes. I'm a big boy and I can live with it.

It has been many years ago that I had a talk with GunnyL. Most of you probably know him. After that conversation I have never neg repped anyone. Not one time, not once. Way too often the negs come from simple differences of opinion and way too often the power that gaffer describes above is used just because they don't like the poster and for no other reason disagreeable or not.

The system is good if not abused or taken for granted. In this case, however and like Gabby says, it's pretty much a "conservative circle jerk." You gotta hand it to Gabby, love her or hate her she's gonna tell you what she thinks and I always admire that.

The thanks system is very good. I'm just now coming around to it and I try to remember it. There are a number of good posts that whether I agree or not it is evident the poster put some work and thought into what they had to say. I say Hoorah to the thanks system but without better oversight by the management for the abuses of the rep system then it should just go altogether.

Yall have a great TURKEY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

NightTrain
11-25-2010, 11:47 AM
So, Darin, I'm going to buy you an extra beer when you move up here.

PostmodernProphet
11-25-2010, 02:41 PM
delete the rep, keep the thanks......half the time I want to express appreciation for a post it says I need to spread rep around anyway.....

jimnyc
11-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Starting everyone over smells of Socialism. The whole "nobody should have the advantage" concept - tossing it in the face of those who work hard to positively contribute.

This has a familiar smell. I have too much rep and it should be taken from me and given to someone else. I back people that I think have said something outstanding or something really funny. I'm conservative with my rep. Rep is not all that important, when you die you can't take it with you. If you want my rep come and take it.

The liberal mind of taking other peoples things is mind boggling.

Nobody is going to have what they earned taken away, I will promise you that. I'm just thinking out loud (as owner) what, if anything, can be done to make MORE people happy. It's probably unlikely I'll ever figure out a way, but that was my goal.

Kathianne
11-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Nobody is going to have what they earned taken away, I will promise you that. I'm just thinking out loud (as owner) what, if anything, can be done to make MORE people happy. It's probably unlikely I'll ever figure out a way, but that was my goal.

No way is everyone going to be happy, heck some people are just always unhappy. Seems to me, like Gaffer, unless I can use that rep to make a mortgage payment, I'm not going to worry over it.

I do think it's sort of like money in one way; if everyone was equal today, within 3 months, we'd all likely be percentage-wise where we are today. Those that always post happy things, are nice will have the most given their post numbers. Those that post interesting news things, don't say much, they'll have good percentages. Those that do the same and debate-sometimes with gusto, :wtf: will have decent percentages, but tend to make some mad. :laugh: Those that mostly troll and are just combative, well what can we say...

jimnyc
11-25-2010, 03:25 PM
More food for thought....

Will ANY system that allows for "rewarding" another member or giving them a "thumbs down" not lead to abuse? That's my main reason for wanting to keep things as they are (but being a little more strict and fix more legit complaints).

ANY type of system such as these can lead to abuse by the majority. The majority can thank more, give more thumbs down, neg rep more and pos rep more.

I honestly believe that the extreme majority of members here are capable of using the system fairly - hence the fact we have liberals "in the green".

Want to make the rep system better? Make sure you use the system fairly, and post better yourself! I doubt we will have a civil and friendly poster here with negative reps. It's all in HOW and WHAT you post and not WHO you are - and at least that's the way the board should be using the rep system.

But if the doors are open to abuse in just about every system, for now it's probably best to keep what we have and concentrate on making it better.

SassyLady
11-25-2010, 03:26 PM

It seem that it will be hard to make some people happy without making others unhappy....such is life.

Kathianne
11-25-2010, 03:29 PM

Will ANY system that allows for "rewarding" another member or giving them a "thumbs down" not lead to abuse? That's my main reason for wanting to keep things as they are (but being a little more strict and fix more legit complaints).

ANY type of system such as these can lead to abuse by the majority. The majority can thank more, give more thumbs down, neg rep more and pos rep more.

I honestly believe that the extreme majority of members here are capable of using the system fairly - hence the fact we have liberals "in the green".

Want to make the rep system better? Make sure you use the system fairly, and post better yourself! I doubt we will have a civil and friendly poster here with negative reps. It's all in HOW and WHAT you post and not WHO you are - and at least that's the way the board should be using the rep system.

But if the doors are open to abuse in just about every system, for now it's probably best to keep what we have and concentrate on making it better.

Now Jim, there are times to neg someone, IMHO. When many people in a thread are replying politely, debating fairly, and someone turns and just begins flamming or troll responses, they are going to get negged. I think it's like a "F", if one works hard for something, it shouldn't be denied. :thumb:

jimnyc
11-25-2010, 03:33 PM
No way is everyone going to be happy, heck some people are just always unhappy. Seems to me, like Gaffer, unless I can use that rep to make a mortgage payment, I'm not going to worry over it.

I do think it's sort of like money in one way; if everyone was equal today, within 3 months, we'd all likely be percentage-wise where we are today. Those that always post happy things, are nice will have the most given their post numbers. Those that post interesting news things, don't say much, they'll have good percentages. Those that do the same and debate-sometimes with gusto, :wtf: will have decent percentages, but tend to make some mad. :laugh: Those that mostly troll and are just combative, well what can we say...

Yeah, maybe that's why I have so much trouble understanding the animosity with the rep system. I very, very rarely use the system. It does feel nice when someone reps me, but I'm horrible and lazy about giving them out. I purposely deleted points of my own a long time back so that I didn't appear on the top ten list. #1 - I don't want people to think I rigged it somehow and #2 - I don't care about the points. I'd be just fine if I got the comments alone as they mean more to me.

And I agree with your latter part. The complexion of the board has remained fairly the same from the beginning, so I think the rep would ultimately end up around the same in the long run.

But I stand by my earlier comments too - they would remain that way, not only because of the con/lib ratio of the board, but also for the way people actually post. The majority of the time that someone receives a positive rep is because they made a good post, a well thought out post or whatever the rep giver deems as worthy enough to receive increased reputation. Also, the majority of the time that people receive negative rep is because they DID in fact post like a complete asshole or in some distasteful manner.

Kathianne
11-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Jim, your lack of participation on giving out rep has been noticed! Some of us wonder if you are so frugal in real life? :laugh2: Then we remember the t-shirt! :2up:

SassyLady
11-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Didn't we all start at zero when you switched the board over recently?

Kathianne
11-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Didn't we all start at zero when you switched the board over recently?

I don't think so. However, pretty sure when the new board started, we did. I was gone over a year and others have been gone for long periods of time too. I doubt it matters, pretty much I think as Jim said, people are fair.

With that said, sure long timers often have 'friends' and it just seems natural to hit them for something good. I'd say that I do that much more often now with the thanks. Sometimes I forget about the rep now.

SassyLady
11-25-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't think so. However, pretty sure when the new board started, we did. I was gone over a year and others have been gone for long periods of time too. I doubt it matters, pretty much I think as Jim said, people are fair.

With that said, sure long timers often have 'friends' and it just seems natural to hit them for something good. I'd say that I do that much more often now with the thanks. Sometimes I forget about the rep now.

I use the thanks a lot too.....because we have to spread the rep...and sometimes someone comes on and gets on a roll and it's nice to let them know you like what they are saying...the only way to do that before was to create a post ... the thanks is much faster and saves space.

chloe
11-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Some boards have a way that a user can shut the rep system off which results in showing no rep positive or negative. I have never neg repped anyone and you can zero my rep out I am not attached to it or the thanks button. I give thanks and rep positively as a high five to convey I liked the post. If I don't like the post I avoid the thread or the poster. Anything else is covered privately in PM's between me and a poster. If people say rep isn't a big deal then why make a deal out of it ?

SassyLady
11-26-2010, 03:05 AM

If you like the "thanks" system so much, why have you never used it? Have you ever used the rep system at all... either positive or negative?

If you never use the system, should your comments have any weight?

red states rule
11-26-2010, 04:21 AM
I like the rep syatem as well. I enjoy letting posters know what I think about thero posts by giving rep and usinf the "thanks" button

I do not believe I have ever neg repped Gabby or BP who are two of the liberal memebrs here. On the other hand people like PB and PR have gotten neg rep from me

I would like to see a "groans" option to use instead of neg rep if that is ever possible Jim

Kathianne
11-26-2010, 08:33 AM
I like the rep syatem as well. I enjoy letting posters know what I think about thero posts by giving rep and usinf the "thanks" button

I do not believe I have ever neg repped Gabby or BP who are two of the liberal memebrs here. On the other hand people like PB and PR have gotten neg rep from me

I would like to see a "groans" option to use instead of neg rep if that is ever possible Jim

I'd like to see that, what has been referred to earlier as 'thumbs down' too, but not instead of negging. While none of us can know what the others think, my take on giving negs if for bad behavior, not content I don't agree with. I don't neg anyone because they believe differently than me-I mean what's the point of discussing things if I'm just trying to 'shut you up'? The groans or thumbs down says without severe number changes, 'I disagree or your argument is lame.'

I neg when someone repeatedly acts in ways that are hurtful to others or in ways that hurt the board. Most everyone loses it from time-to-time, that's expected. Of course it happens most often when one is losing their argument, but most of us get a bit snarky and move on. Some however go into meltdown mode. That's when I neg.

chloe
11-26-2010, 08:53 AM
People can see where a poster is "thanked" but they are not able to see when a poster is "repped." It seems thanking is the more transparent visible means of giving positive feedback.

Exactly, and rep whoring should be done in private :laugh:

PostmodernProphet
11-26-2010, 09:57 AM

Will ANY system that allows for "rewarding" another member or giving them a "thumbs down" not lead to abuse?

one of the boards I post on gives ten points for a thumbs up but zero points (or is it 1) for thumbs down

fj1200
11-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Exactly, and rep whoring should be done in private :laugh:

:laugh:

{stares at chloe's avatar}

Palin Rider
11-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah, maybe that's why I have so much trouble understanding the animosity with the rep system. I very, very rarely use the system. It does feel nice when someone reps me, but I'm horrible and lazy about giving them out.

Which brings up another interesting point. When someone pos reps you, you feel obliged to return the favor, and they might get offended if you don't. It saps a lot of attention away from the topic under discussion.

Why anyone cares so much about those little dots is beyond me.

SassyLady
11-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Which brings up another interesting point. When someone pos reps you, you feel obliged to return the favor, and they might get offended if you don't. It saps a lot of attention away from the topic under discussion.

It's not the dots ... I don't even notice them.....it's the little love note that comes with the rep that I like. It's like a little friendly "little" kiss on the cheek...or not. :coffee:

red states rule
11-26-2010, 07:45 PM

Looking at your rep and posts you do not have to worry about having to return the favor

You are about as popular as the bastard at the family reunion

Palin Rider
11-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Looking at your rep and posts you do not have to worry about having to return the favor

You are about as popular as the bastard at the family reunion

You need to lick your wounds more gracefully, red.

red states rule
11-26-2010, 08:05 PM
You need to lick your wounds more gracefully, red.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/image.php?u=135&dateline=1202415871

Palin Rider
11-26-2010, 08:07 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/image.php?u=135&dateline=1202415871

Yeah, like that. ;)

chloe
11-27-2010, 12:06 AM
:laugh:

{stares at chloe's avatar}

oh so avatar does effect rep......:cool: (interesting but my cute animal avatars get more rep then my pretty ladies and old hollywood divas)

Mr. P
11-27-2010, 01:22 AM
oh so avatar does effect rep......:cool: (interesting but my cute animal avatars get more rep then my pretty ladies and old hollywood divas)

Yeah, but the pretty lady ones may make ya some $$ rep ain't worth a chit. :laugh:

chloe
11-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Yeah, but the pretty lady ones may make ya some $$ rep ain't worth a chit. :laugh:

I wonder if that's the same for pretty men.:laugh2:

red states rule
11-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Chloe, I like giving you rep because you are the boards gentle ray of sunshine

Your smile comes across the internet and brightens the community everytime you are online

chloe
11-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Chloe, I like giving you rep because you are the boards gentle ray of sunshine

Your smile comes across the internet and brightens the community everytime you are online

Your a sweetheart. I know you are on Santa's good list Sir:salute:

pegwinn
12-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Hi guys. It's been awhile since I was a regular here and so the thanks thing is new to me. I think it is pretty cool excepting that I have no way of figuring out which posts got thanked if I don't spot them in the thread. The reps at least can be tracked down in the users cp.

I ran a small board that died and it had a similar thing to repping. But it was strictly a +1 or -1 thing. So, a monstrous score meant that the poster was much loved.

I actually like the thumbs up/down idea. Then the post itself is what is theoretically scored. Post X could show 5 TU and 8 TD for a grand total of -3. Being able to see who rated it would be cool as well.

Since each person likes a certain form I think leaving it all in place is the best idea. Each user will weight the ratings based on what they like.

good thread, thanks Jim.

jimnyc
12-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi guys. It's been awhile since I was a regular here and so the thanks thing is new to me. I think it is pretty cool excepting that I have no way of figuring out which posts got thanked if I don't spot them in the thread. The reps at least can be tracked down in the users cp.

I ran a small board that died and it had a similar thing to repping. But it was strictly a +1 or -1 thing. So, a monstrous score meant that the poster was much loved.

I actually like the thumbs up/down idea. Then the post itself is what is theoretically scored. Post X could show 5 TU and 8 TD for a grand total of -3. Being able to see who rated it would be cool as well.

Since each person likes a certain form I think leaving it all in place is the best idea. Each user will weight the ratings based on what they like.

good thread, thanks Jim.

The rep shows in the userbar for each members posts, and also with the accompanying comments in the user cp, like you stated. Unfortunately, as you noted, the thanks aren't so easy and can really only be seen if you glance at your post/thread after the fact. But you do get a tally of how many posts of yours have been thanked, which is near the rep count in the userbar, across from your avatar.

ConHog
12-29-2011, 06:28 PM

What? Hmm I don't know why people neg rep at all, but if you lower the hit one can give you also lower the jump one can give. My rep is pretty high so when I give someone a rep, they notice it. I don't think it should be changed at all.

I do wish people would on their own only rep posts based on content. I sure try.

Kathianne
12-29-2011, 07:12 PM

good thread, thanks Jim.

I was on your board and really enjoyed it, until it became mostly the boys club. ;) I too really liked the thumbs up and down, as it didn't ding like rep. I never got the hang though of selling/giving away/gambling rep. LOL!

pegwinn
12-29-2011, 07:50 PM
I was on your board and really enjoyed it, until it became mostly the boys club. ;) I too really liked the thumbs up and down, as it didn't ding like rep. I never got the hang though of selling/giving away/gambling rep. LOL!

I'm glad to hear it. It finally died because I demanded a "no flame zone". I was really pushing for people on opposite sides to argue with brain cells. It didn't work. And, since I didn't own the domain I couldn't upgrade it. But, that also means I won't badmouth the mods, admins, etc anywhere else.

Kathianne
12-29-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm glad to hear it. It finally died because I demanded a "no flame zone". I was really pushing for people on opposite sides to argue with brain cells. It didn't work. And, since I didn't own the domain I couldn't upgrade it. But, that also means I won't badmouth the mods, admins, etc anywhere else.

I think you had great folks, I don't think I ever saw any moderation. It was pretty respectful, even for an outsider like myself. Seriously. It was a good site.

shattered
12-29-2011, 08:12 PM
I say nuke it. Its completely irrelevant, and has zero value. I not even sure how people can feel they 'earned' it. They are just numbers on a screen, and I havent found a way to redeem them for anything tangible.

Besides it might be fun to see CH cry again.

ConHog
12-29-2011, 08:29 PM
I say nuke it. Its completely irrelevant, and has zero value. I not even sure how people can feel they 'earned' it. They are just numbers on a screen, and I havent found a way to redeem them for anything tangible.

Besides it might be fun to see CH cry again.

Are you suggesting I've "cried" about rep?

shattered
12-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Are you suggesting I've "cried" about rep?

The list of shit which you havent cried about is far shorter than the list of shit you have cried about, Pansy.

Kathianne
12-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Please, both of you shut up about each other. Don't bring other board issues here.

shattered
12-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Please, both of you shut up about each other. Don't bring other board issues here.

No board issues. Dudes a dick. Only way Ill lay off is if I get banned. Otherwise Im expressing my opinion.

ConHog
12-29-2011, 08:43 PM

I didn't do shit or say shit to her so what is the deal with saying BOTH OF US. When you have two students and one hits the other for no reason at all do you tell them both to stop fighting? Does the fact that you don't like the kid that got hit for doing nothing at all influence your decision to scold him when he did nothing wrong?

Kathianne
12-29-2011, 08:48 PM
No board issues. Dudes a dick. Only way Ill lay off is if I get banned. Otherwise Im expressing my opinion.

Don't want to be banned? Good. Then if you wish to go a round with him, make it from what he's posting here. No references to 'crying' on other sites.

As for CH, leave Gunny out of it, he's done nothing to you here and nothing for her here.

Both of you. Really.

Kathianne
12-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I didn't do shit or say shit to her so what is the deal with saying BOTH OF US. When you have two students and one hits the other for no reason at all do you tell them both to stop fighting? Does the fact that you don't like the kid that got hit for doing nothing at all influence your decision to scold him when he did nothing wrong?

Stop it, now. Really. Read what I've written and stop the teacher shit.

shattered
12-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Don't want to be banned? Good. Then if you wish to go a round with him, make it from what he's posting here. No references to 'crying' on other sites.

As for CH, leave Gunny out of it, he's done nothing to you here and nothing for her here.

Both of you. Really.

No ma'am.. I said the only way Ill lay off him is if I GET banned. And I really dont care one way or the other if that happens. I havent mentioned ANY other board. He, however, insists on calling me Dis. Whos starting what?

Ill finish it.

Kathianne
12-29-2011, 08:59 PM
No ma'am.. I said the only way Ill lay off him is if I GET banned. And I really dont care one way or the other if that happens. I havent mentioned ANY other board. He, however, insists on calling me Dis. Whos starting what?

Ill finish it.

Know what? I agree he shouldn't call you Dis. I agree he shouldn't call me kath, why? We don't want him to. He should respect that. If he asked me not to call him CH, I wouldn't, unless I was flaming.

However, like myself I think you could easily outlast banning behavior, but if you wish to just flame, go for it, but realize banning is likely.

For the record, I've no problem with Shattered, Dis, whatever name is hung on her. When she wishes she's a massive asset to any board. On the other hand, one of the best flammers I've known.

ConHog
12-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Know what? I agree he shouldn't call you Dis. I agree he shouldn't call me kath, why? We don't want him to. He should respect that. If he asked me not to call him CH, I wouldn't, unless I was flaming.

However, like myself I think you could easily outlast banning behavior, but if you wish to just flame, go for it, but realize banning is likely.

For the record, I've no problem with Shattered, Dis, whatever name is hung on her. When she wishes she's a massive asset to any board. On the other hand, one of the best flammers I've known.

Show some, and you'll be given some. Simple as that.

shattered
12-29-2011, 09:06 PM

She doesn't owe you shit, you whiny-assed whackjob.

ConHog
12-29-2011, 09:08 PM
She doesn't owe you shit, you whiny-assed whackjob.

That is correct. But no one is allowed to give no respect claiming they don't owe it to them and then cry about that person not respecting them. How hypocritical that is.

Abbey Marie
12-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Closing- no good can come of this.

Kathianne
12-29-2011, 09:12 PM

I feel I owe YOU and explanation, since I really am moderating someone else here.
"If he asked me not to call him CH, I wouldn't, unless I was flaming." As far as I can remember, you never said anything about the CH thing until now. I wasn't doing anything other than abbreviating.

I felt you meant different and said so.

In this thread, I'm carrying no animus towards you or Shattered. I'm thinking/acting in best interests of board.

This board.

To the best of my knowledge, I'm the one staff member that moderates when necessary, pretty familiar with both of you cross boards.