PDA

View Full Version : Just How Clear Was The Nov. 2nd Message?

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Now don't get cocky!

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/11/23/the-republican-wave-isnt-quite-finished-yet/

The Republican Wave Isn’t Quite Finished Yet
Share116
posted at 8:35 pm on November 23, 2010 by Jimmie Bise, Jr
printer-friendly

Of all the stories of the great Republican wave election of 2010, one of the stories that didn’t get wide play is just how dominant the GOP was in state elections. Republicans claimed a record 680 state legislative seats around the country, 52 more than the old record, set by Democrats in 1974 and 208 more than they picked up in the 1994 Gingrich Revolution. The right now controls both chambers of 26 state legislatures.

And the hits just keep coming. In the past couple of weeks, at least 11 Democratic state legislators have switched sides — one in South Dakota, one in Maine, , one in Louisiana, two in Georgia, and four in Alabama. In Louisiana, the switch gives Republicans control of one house of the government for the first time since Reconstruction; in Alabama, the Republicans control both houses for the first time since 1874.

The obvious reason these wins are important is that 44 states will start redrawing their Congressional districts next year. Many of the states in the South now controlled by Republicans will pick up House seats and few of them will be inclined to treat Democratic incumbents well. The lines drawn next year could help cement Republican control of the house not only in 2012 but perhaps for the next decade or more...

Lots of links.

Palin Rider
11-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Regardless of who wins, there's no logical way that a 37% voter turnout (nationwide) can reflect the will of the people.

BoogyMan
11-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Regardless of who wins, there's no logical way that a 37% voter turnout (nationwide) can reflect the will of the people.

Hmmm, the will of the people is made manifest in the result of the election. It shows the will of those who vote and partake in the process of selecting those who will govern our nation and if there are those who are so disinterested that they do not vote their will at that point has certainly been taken into account.

Palin Rider
11-24-2010, 10:23 PM
...if there are those who are so disinterested that they do not vote their will at that point has certainly been taken into account.
That's one school of thought on voting. I disagree with it.

BoogyMan
11-24-2010, 10:25 PM
That's one school of thought on voting. I disagree with it.

Are you trying to claim that those who are to disinterested to vote should have some kind of say outside of the realm of the elections process? !BOGGLE!

Palin Rider
11-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Are you trying to claim that those who are to disinterested to vote should have some kind of say outside of the realm of the elections process? !BOGGLE!

Nope. Just that the assumption that everyone who fails to vote is disinterested is rather clearly incorrect.

Mr. P
11-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Nope. Just that the assumption that everyone who fails to vote is disinterested is rather clearly incorrect.
Yeah, yer right..I bet they just missed the bus. But seriously, unless one is unexpectedly in the hospital there is no excuse NOT to vote if interested.

BoogyMan
11-24-2010, 10:54 PM

There is absolutely no circumstance under which someone who wants to vote cannot get it done in this country. We have early voting, absentee voting, etc. It is EASY to vote and to not get it done while claiming to be desirous of having done so is rubbish.

Palin Rider
11-24-2010, 11:09 PM
There is absolutely no circumstance under which someone who wants to vote cannot get it done in this country. We have early voting, absentee voting, etc. It is EASY to vote and to not get it done while claiming to be desirous of having done so is rubbish.

You don't believe that anyone forgets to swing by the polling place after work, EVER?

The fact that it's easy is hardly proof that everyone who wants to do it actually does so.

gabosaurus
11-24-2010, 11:16 PM
You didn't think the 2010 election message was clear. Why do you believe this one was?

Mr. P
11-25-2010, 12:20 AM
You don't believe that anyone forgets to swing by the polling place after work, EVER?

The fact that it's easy is hardly proof that everyone who wants to do it actually does so.
:laugh2:

SassyLady
11-25-2010, 02:12 AM

I don't think it is enough to make a difference in the voting. And, if they did it once, you'd think that the next time they would do absentee voting so that situation didn't happen again.

Once again, it's about caring enough to NOT FORGET!

Kathianne
11-25-2010, 04:40 AM
You didn't think the 2010 election message was clear. Why do you believe this one was?

Oh I thought it clear, it was not I thought the mandate was a 'hard left.' That was the administration's mistake.

BTW, I don't think this means the people want a 'far right' either, in the sense that many Republicans think.

I'm quite certain the people want to get spending and cutting waste under control. They want government brought under control, from involvement in choosing foods to raising their children. I don't think it means that there should be laws passed by the Fed regarding different things to be taught in schools. People seriously want the government to do those things it's charged with, that's it.

PostmodernProphet
11-25-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm looking forward to some hope and change for Michigan next year.....Republicans took both chambers of Congress and our new governor is Rick Snyder who started Gateway computers.....he's been promising to try out some new things.......

PostmodernProphet
11-25-2010, 08:51 AM

actually, I thought this WAS the 2010 election message.....

PostmodernProphet
11-25-2010, 08:53 AM

yeah, I don't believe it......you don't forget to do something you really want to do:poke:

Kathianne
11-25-2010, 11:17 AM
actually, I thought this WAS the 2010 election message.....

Shoot! I missed that! :laugh2:

BoogyMan
11-25-2010, 12:13 PM

Someone who is motivated to vote is not going to simply forget to do so, especially in a climate where people are so polarized and aware of the power of a single vote.

fj1200
11-25-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm looking forward to some hope and change for Michigan next year.....Republicans took both chambers of Congress and our new governor is Rick Snyder who started Gateway computers.....he's been promising to try out some new things.......

It'll be interesting to see what happens in MI, I'm from Kalamazoo originally and that state sure could use some change. Some deregulation and tax simplification sooner than later... I guess that goes for the whole country too.

fj1200
11-25-2010, 06:51 PM

What was the turnout in '06? I'm sure that election meant nothing either. :rolleyes:

red states rule
11-26-2010, 04:32 AM
Oh I thought it clear, it was not I thought the mandate was a 'hard left.' That was the administration's mistake.

BTW, I don't think this means the people want a 'far right' either, in the sense that many Republicans think.

I'm quite certain the people want to get spending and cutting waste under control. They want government brought under control, from involvement in choosing foods to raising their children. I don't think it means that there should be laws passed by the Fed regarding different things to be taught in schools. People seriously want the government to do those things it's charged with, that's it.

As of right now Republicans have picked up 63 House seats with some ballots still being counted, and the left still tries to ignore the results

Remember what was wriiten about the Republican party in May 2009?

http://media.eyeblast.org/newsbusters/static/2009/05/2009-05-18-TimeCover.jpg

These days, Republicans have the desperate aura of an endangered species. They lost Congress, then the White House; more recently, they lost a slam-dunk House election in a conservative New York district, then Senator Arlen Specter. Polls suggest that only one-fourth of the electorate considers itself Republican, that independents are trending Democratic and that as few as five states have solid Republican pluralities. And the electorate is getting less white, less rural, less Christian — in short, less demographically Republican. GOP officials who completely controlled Washington three years ago are vowing to "regain our status as a national party" and creating woe-is-us groups to resuscitate their brand, while Democrats are publishing books like The Strange Death of Republican America and 40 More Years: How the Democrats Will Rule the Next Generation. John McCain's campaign manager recently described his party as basically extinct on the West Coast, nearly extinct in the Northeast and endangered in the Mountain West and Southwest.

So are the Republicans going extinct? And can the death march be stopped? The Washington critiques of the Republican Party as powerless, leaderless and rudderless — the new Donner party — are not very illuminating. Minority parties always look weak and inept in the penalty box. Sure, it can be comical to watch Republican National Committee (RNC) gaffe machine Michael Steele riff on his hip-hop vision for the party or Texas Governor Rick Perry carry on about secession or Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann explain how F.D.R.'s "Hoot-Smalley" Act caused the Depression (the Smoot-Hawley Act, a Republican tariff bill, was enacted before F.D.R.'s presidency), but haplessness does not equal hopelessness. And yes, the Republican brand could benefit from spokesmen less familiar and less reviled than Karl Rove, Dick Cheney and Newt Gingrich, but the party does have some fresher faces stepping out of the wings.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1896588,00.html#ixzz16Na4Q9m3

Palin Rider
11-26-2010, 02:03 PM
I don't think it is enough to make a difference in the voting. And, if they did it once, you'd think that the next time they would do absentee voting so that situation didn't happen again.

Once again, it's about caring enough to NOT FORGET!
So you'd have to conclude from this argument that most of the American people don't care.

Hardly the same as saying that most of them love the Republicans (or the Democrats).

Trigg
11-26-2010, 07:20 PM
So you'd have to conclude from this argument that most of the American people don't care.

Hardly the same as saying that most of them love the Republicans (or the Democrats).

I think it's a shame that so few people vote.

And Yes, I do conclude that most people just don't care. They piss and moan about the results I'm sure, but they don't care enough to go out and VOTE.

I think it's about apathy. They don't think their vote will make a difference so they stay home. sad IMHO.