Psychoblues
11-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Just breaking and more to follow.

Psychoblues

Kathianne
11-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Just breaking and more to follow.

Psychoblues

Seriously, you're several hours behind. It's not close to breaking.

Psychoblues
11-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Seriously, you're several hours behind. It's not close to breaking.

Never one to quibble with any moderators now, but I saw no mention of this story in Current Events or in any forum on this site. I had just heard the good news so it was indeed "Breaking" to me. But, thanks for the heads up, Kath!!!!!!!! As I understand it, this story was posted about 8 pm tonight and that was about 11 minutes after I posted about it here.

Anyways, here we go!

Ex-House leader Tom DeLay guilty of money-laundering

source: MSN/Reuters
updated 1 hour 36 minutes ago

AUSTIN, Texas — A Texas jury on Wednesday found former Republican House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, dubbed "The Hammer" for his hard-driving style, guilty of money laundering and conspiracy.

DeLay was accused of conspiring to illegally funnel $190,000 in corporate campaign donations to Republican candidates for the Texas Legislature in the 2002 elections.

"The public officials people elect to represent them must do so honestly and ethically and if not, they will be held accountable," said Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg.

DeLay, 63, faces five to 99 years in prison for the money- laundering conviction and two to 20 years for a conspiracy count as well, plus fines. He is free on bond until his sentencing in a Texas state court on Dec 20.

"This is an abuse of power, it is a miscarriage of justice. I am very disappointed. But it is what it is ... and we will carry on. Hopefully we can get this before people who understand the law," DeLay said after the verdict........................................... .............................

Much more: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40362812

And I expect more coming in the very near future.

Psychoblues

gabosaurus
11-24-2010, 11:21 PM
The significance of the verdict date should not be lost on anyone:

http://i52.tinypic.com/351a2o0.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/1zg43dx.jpg

Psychoblues
11-25-2010, 12:22 AM
You're Great, Gabby!!!!!!

Psychoblues

fj1200
11-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Didn't some charges get thrown out a while back because of a highly partisan DA? I didn't realize any charges were still pending.

11-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Id expect an appeal. I havent cared about this case in a while but i remember looking into it back then and there were some questions about whether the statutes applied.

Life in prison is a bit much isnt it? Especially after Rangel got a slap on the wrist.

Psychoblues
11-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Id expect an appeal. I havent cared about this case in a while but i remember looking into it back then and there were some questions about whether the statutes applied.

Life in prison is a bit much isnt it? Especially after Rangel got a slap on the wrist.

Rangel overextended himself on some ethics issues. Delay broke significant laws.

Psychoblues

SassyLady
11-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Rangel overextended himself on some ethics issues. Delay broke significant laws.

Psychoblues

So, when a liberal breaks a law it's called "overextending"? Wow....like when Geitner didn't pay his taxes ... I believe if you or I had done that, or say, someone like Wesley Snipes .... then it's breaking the law....but I guess if you are a Democratic politician .... it's just "overextending".

What a load of #%^$. Rangle should have been forced to retire and Geitner should never have been confirmed.

Missileman
11-26-2010, 10:06 PM
So, when a liberal breaks a law it's called "overextending"? Wow....like when Geitner didn't pay his taxes ... I believe if you or I had done that, or say, someone like Wesley Snipes .... then it's breaking the law....but I guess if you are a Democratic politician .... it's just "overextending".

What a load of #%^$. Rangle should have been forced to retire and Geitner should never have been confirmed.

And Rangle and Geitner should be facing similar jail time to Snipes. The inconsistency of our judicial system should be an agenda item in the near future.

fj1200
11-26-2010, 10:07 PM
It will probably be like Stevens in AK who was guilty before he was not guilty.

Psychoblues
11-26-2010, 10:08 PM

No comparison whatsoever in these cases, MKP. One was charged with breaking the law, found guilty by a jury of his own conservative Texas peers and now faces possible life imprisonment. The other violated some ethics rules and suffers the admonishment of the house of representatives.

Let's not try to compare apples to oranges, MKP. As always, it just can't be done.

Psychoblues

Missileman
11-26-2010, 10:12 PM
No comparison whatsoever in these cases, MKP. One was charged with breaking the law, found guilty by a jury of his own conservative Texas peers and now faces possible life imprisonment. The other violated some ethics rules and suffers the admonishment of the house of representatives.

Let's not try to compare apples to oranges, MKP. As always, it just can't be done.

Psychoblues

Rangle broke the law also, not just some ethics rule.

Psychoblues
11-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Rangle broke the law also, not just some ethics rule.

As he has not been charged with breaking any law and the offensive actions for which he has now been ostracized occurred in 2002 and I consider the oversight by people far more qualified than I believe you to be, I reject your statement and call it as false at best, Mm.

Psychoblues

Missileman
11-26-2010, 11:19 PM
As he has not been charged with breaking any law and the offensive actions for which he has now been ostracized occurred in 2002 and I consider the oversight by people far more qualified than I believe you to be, I reject your statement and call it as false at best, Mm.

Psychoblues

So not paying income taxes is not against the law? Got it. You're a double standard guy.

Psychoblues
11-26-2010, 11:22 PM
So not paying income taxes is not against the law? Got it. You're a double standard guy.

He has not been charged with not paying income taxes, Mm. Where do you get your information? FauxNoise?

Psychoblues

SassyLady
11-27-2010, 02:30 PM

Psychoblues

Breaking the law is never comparing apples to oranges when it comes to Liberals PB.....when they break laws it is just a misunderstanding, lack of knowledgeof the laws, overextending themsleves, etc.....whatever they chose to call it so they can sweep it under the rug and continue business as ususal. However, you let the Conservatives do the same behavior then it is considered to be willingfullly breaking the law and should be punished to the max.

Difference is obvious ... people hold liberals to a lower accountability for value .... if they screw up then it's because they are just stupid and did undstand the long term ramifications .....however, if it's a conservative the messes up ..... then they are automatically labeled a criminal that should have know better....double standard....always.

Psychoblues
11-28-2010, 04:45 AM
Breaking the law is never comparing apples to oranges when it comes to Liberals PB.....when they break laws it is just a misunderstanding, lack of knowledgeof the laws, overextending themsleves, etc.....whatever they chose to call it so they can sweep it under the rug and continue business as ususal. However, you let the Conservatives do the same behavior then it is considered to be willingfullly breaking the law and should be punished to the max.

Difference is obvious ... people hold liberals to a lower accountability for value .... if they screw up then it's because they are just stupid and did undstand the long term ramifications .....however, if it's a conservative the messes up ..... then they are automatically labeled a criminal that should have know better....double standard....always.

And this thread is not about Charlie Rangel or anything he has done or is going through. Is stamping your feet and hollering "He did it, too!" the best defense that you have? That may have worked at 4 years old but past then it don't hold much weight.

As far as your assumptions about my attitudes between liberals and conservatives as far as breaking the law is concerned then I would call your attitude a personal problem and your assumptions flawed at best. No "double standards" with me, mkp, nor with many that I would call my friends.

Psychoblues

SassyLady
11-28-2010, 05:44 AM
And this thread is not about Charlie Rangel or anything he has done or is going through. Is stamping your feet and hollering "He did it, too!" the best defense that you have? That may have worked at 4 years old but past then it don't hold much weight.

As far as your assumptions about my attitudes between liberals and conservatives as far as breaking the law is concerned then I would call your attitude a personal problem and your assumptions flawed at best. No "double standards" with me, mkp, nor with many that I would call my friends.

Psychoblues

You are the psycho here ... you brought up Rangel as someone who overextended himself....I just pointed out that you feel your guys are not subject to the same laws. And you are mistaken if you think I'm defending anyone ... I think they're all crooks and should pay the penalties ...and more than just a slap on the hands...but let it be fair to all.

And PB you are always playing a double standard ..... show me when you believe one of your guys did something illegal and you advocated sending them to jail ... something a little bit more than a slap on the hands.

Psychoblues
11-28-2010, 06:10 PM
You are the psycho here ... you brought up Rangel as someone who overextended himself....I just pointed out that you feel your guys are not subject to the same laws. And you are mistaken if you think I'm defending anyone ... I think they're all crooks and should pay the penalties ...and more than just a slap on the hands...but let it be fair to all.

And PB you are always playing a double standard ..... show me when you believe one of your guys did something illegal and you advocated sending them to jail ... something a little bit more than a slap on the hands.

Considering that it was not I that brought into the conversation, Charlie Rangel, then can I also assume the rest of your ridiculous post also at least as much ridiculous?

mkp, I am 100% for jailing Democrats or anyone else found guilty of crimes that warrant jail time. Many crimes don't justify jail and I would hope you can agree with me that seemingly invisible line should be respected and especially so when no crimes have been charged or committed.

In this case Charlie Rangle is not one of 'my guys" as you allude. I have met Charlie but he does not represent me and I have never cast a vote on a jury or anywhere else for or against him. But you insist on my commenting or advocating something "a little more than a slap on the wrist" towards "one of my guys", whatever that means. So here it goes. I am all in favor of the decision of the Congress of the United States of America to censure Charlie Rangel for his unethical behavior as described and charged by the House Ethics Committee and voted upon by the US House of Representatives. Again, Charlie Rangel should not be a part of this discussion and I did not bring him up. See post #7. That might clear it up for you.

Psychoblues

SassyLady
11-29-2010, 12:04 AM
Considering that it was not I that brought into the conversation, Charlie Rangel, then can I also assume the rest of your ridiculous post also at least as much ridiculous?

I don't think you can assume anything of the sort ... Were you not the one that said Rangel "overextended" himself? Someone else posted his name first...however, YOU are the one that asserted he just overextended himself. I was discussing your take on what "overextending" is....and somehow you think Dems should get a slap on the wrist and that Repubs need to go to jail.

Psychoblues
11-29-2010, 12:39 AM
I don't think you can assume anything of the sort ... Were you not the one that said Rangel "overextended" himself? Someone else posted his name first...however, YOU are the one that asserted he just overextended himself. I was discussing your take on what "overextending" is....and somehow you think Dems should get a slap on the wrist and that Repubs need to go to jail.

If you had simply gone back to read that post you would have seen not only did that poster brought Congressman Rangel into this conversation but also the original accusation of "slap on the wrist" as you throw around as if you didn't already know better.

I don't for one moment excuse Congressman Rangel's behavior. And I don't for one moment expect any favors from anyone for the behavior of anyone in the political spectrum. In politics you stick your neck out and you will surely at least have to dodge the chopping block occasionally.

There have been many, perhaps hundreds of threads and posts about Tom Delay on this board. I have never started one of them or commented on one of them. Circumstances have changed.

Psychoblues