PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Town Turns Out To Keep Phelps Clan Away From Soldier’s Funeral

Psychoblues
11-28-2010, 04:29 AM
I found this piece on a progressive web site and hundreds of comments there cheering on these proud and determined people. I would be the first in line to protect anyone's right to free speech but the idiots at Westboro Baptist Church are just insane. Reminds me of what Atty. John Yoo, author of the legal interpretation giving gwb permission to torture, said the other day. "I said it was legal, that didn't mean he should have done it". Nonetheless, I just wanted to share this piece with you and demonstrate in some small way that we almost all stand together on some issues.

source: McClatchy/Kansas City Star
by Donald Bradley
Nov. 24, 2010

As if a bell tolled a neighbor’s trouble, folks came running.

The first showed up before the sun Tuesday, huddling and shivering in the cold and the dark. Others soon came, and before long their numbers stretched a block on both sides of Mechanic Street in front of Harrisonville’s Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church.

People drove from three or four counties away. Buses arrived, bellowing exhaust into the cold, bringing loads of schoolkids and senior citizens. People took off work. Some brought dogs. Farmers parked pickups nearby.

It wasn’t a fire, but a burning sense of what was the decent thing to do for one of their own who had given his all.

By 9 a.m., an hour before the funeral of Army Cpl. Jacob R. Carver, an estimated 2,000 to 3,000 people, many of them waving American flags, lined nearly a half-mile of the street in front of the church, making sure Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church/family congregation were crowded out, peacefully kept far from shouting distance of the funeral........................................... .........................................

Read more and links to related articles: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/11/24/104224/missouri-town-turns-out-to-keep.html#ixzz16ZFh4vVZ

This may not be the correct forum for this thread and I would appreciate any moderator moving it to one they feel more appropriate.

Psychoblues

fj1200
11-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Reminds me of what Atty. John Yoo, author of the legal interpretation giving gwb permission to torture, said the other day. "I said it was legal, that didn't mean he should have done it".

:rolleyes:

By 9 a.m., an hour before the funeral of Army Cpl. Jacob R. Carver, an estimated 2,000 to 3,000 people, many of them waving American flags, lined nearly a half-mile of the street in front of the church, making sure Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church/family congregation were crowded out, peacefully kept far from shouting distance of the funeral........................................... .........................................

Good.

BoogyMan
11-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Sounds like good work by the people of that town and the surrounding area.

The Phelps clan is pretty much universally despised by everyone and the good people of this town have assured that the family of a soldier who died in battle doesn't have to deal with the hate these dimwits so readily hand out.

namvet
11-28-2010, 11:00 AM
I hope Phelps turns into another Jim Jones. fill the cups and pass em around

Psychoblues
11-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Sounds like good work by the people of that town and the surrounding area.

The Phelps clan is pretty much universally despised by everyone and the good people of this town have assured that the family of a soldier who died in battle doesn't have to deal with the hate these dimwits so readily hand out.

I can only wish that were true. Although you and I may find their actions and beliefs despicable there are many, even right here on this board, that are so hateful and afraid that they also would support the work of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Thanks for you agreement on this issue, BM.

Psychoblues

Kathianne
11-29-2010, 04:05 AM
I can only wish that were true. Although you and I may find their actions and beliefs despicable there are many, even right here on this board, that are so hateful and afraid that they also would support the work of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Psychoblues

:link:

Psychoblues
11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
:link:

Denial is not a river in Egypt, Kath.

Psychoblues

NightTrain
11-29-2010, 12:40 PM
You're full of crap as usual, Psycho. I highly doubt anyone on this board applauds and supports that vile herd of wackos.

On the other hand, I have to hand it to you. You have been more coherent than you have been in a decade. Kudos.

Nukeman
11-29-2010, 01:00 PM

Psychoblues
Show me ONE person on this board who would support a nut case like Phellps!!! JUST ONE Psyco!!! JUST ONE FREAKING member!!!!! F***ing tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:slap:

Psychoblues
11-29-2010, 02:02 PM
You folks understand what Fred Phelps and his bunch are all about , don't you? They hate the queers. Lots like them on this board. Whether or not they would behave exactly like the Phelps clan might be debatable but it's clear that many on this board would go to great extents to undermine the objectives of the queers for equal rights and treatment under the law.

Personally, I think it's a slam dunk.

Psychoblues

chloe
11-29-2010, 02:12 PM
I support westborough church.....NOT !!!! LOL

I wish I could bitch slap that preacher down and kick him around, cuz Im violent just like his congregation.

(ps I'm using subtle sarcastic humor don't beat me up psycho I'm on your side):laugh2:

NightTrain
11-29-2010, 08:49 PM
You folks understand what Fred Phelps and his bunch are all about , don't you? They hate the queers. Lots like them on this board. Whether or not they would behave exactly like the Phelps clan might be debatable but it's clear that many on this board would go to great extents to undermine the objectives of the queers for equal rights and treatment under the law.

Personally, I think it's a slam dunk.

Psychoblues

A thought occurs. Are you a little light in the sneakers? Is that where your streak of liberalism derives from?

Not trying to be mean, just trying to understand where you get your rabid streak of liberalism and how you could possibly infer the connections that you do.

You have more than a casual interest in homosexual rights. What gives?

Psychoblues
11-30-2010, 02:41 AM
A thought occurs. Are you a little light in the sneakers? Is that where your streak of liberalism derives from?

Not trying to be mean, just trying to understand where you get your rabid streak of liberalism and how you could possibly infer the connections that you do.

You have more than a casual interest in homosexual rights. What gives?

You think anything you want, nt. And yes, you are trying to be mean or at least clever. I got started in my liberal thinking during the civil rights era. Then it was women and fair pay, opposition to the draft, I could go on and on. But here is a surprise, possibly. My first vote was for Richard Nixon in 1968. He said he was going to get us out of Viet Nam. In 1972 it really appeared he was making some progress in that regard so I voted for him again. I could continue with my voting history but for what?

Think what you want, lighty, but you ain't as cute as you think you are!

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
11-30-2010, 02:46 AM

I wish I could bitch slap that preacher down and kick him around, cuz Im violent just like his congregation.

(ps I'm using subtle sarcastic humor don't beat me up psycho I'm on your side):laugh2:

Holy Moly, Chloe!!!!!!!!!!! Even if you weren't using "subtle sarcastic humor" I wouldn't, damn, Chloe, don't make my mind even go in that direction!!!!!!!!!!

Great to hear from you!!!!!!!!!! Can 'ya gimme some 'mo dat Sonny Boy Williamson, maybe Eddie Floyd "Knock On Wood"!

Psychoblues

NightTrain
11-30-2010, 02:53 AM
You think anything you want, nt. And yes, you are trying to be mean or at least clever. I got started in my liberal thinking during the civil rights era. Then it was women and fair pay, opposition to the draft, I could go on and on. But here is a surprise, possibly. My first vote was for Richard Nixon in 1968. He said he was going to get us out of Viet Nam. In 1972 it really appeared he was making some progress in that regard so I voted for him again. I could continue with my voting history but for what?

Think what you want, lighty, but you ain't as cute as you think you are!

Psychoblues

Nope, it was an honest question... and I notice you didn't answer it.

Psychoblues
11-30-2010, 03:37 AM

I gave as honest an answer as you gave an honest question, nt. That's a fact!

Psychoblues

LuvRPgrl
11-30-2010, 04:18 AM

Psychoblues

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLY GREAT FREAKING JOB YOU DID HERE,

GREAT job Psycho......

YOU post something we can all agree on and then you go and diverge it by sticking your elbow into other areas and start anonymously attacking other board members of supporting the concept the BOGUS church supports even though not one member said anything to support the Phelps dude.

I was thinking of mentioning that the members of the so called church are NOT CHRISTIANS, but since the thread was going along without any disputes, I figured I wouldn't do it.

But then you had to attack some board members. You just had to, didnt you, couldnt resist, now Im understanding the PSYCHO part of blues

LuvRPgrl
11-30-2010, 04:23 AM

DID you say something????

Sorry, just cant take my eyes off of.......#$%^&*(&^%^^&**&^%^&

uh huh,,,,,JUST JOKING

How is Rudolph doing????
I love Rudolph,,

NightTrain
11-30-2010, 01:14 PM
I gave as honest an answer as you gave an honest question, nt. That's a fact!

Psychoblues

Okay then.

How long have you been gay?

chloe
11-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Holy Moly, Chloe!!!!!!!!!!! Even if you weren't using "subtle sarcastic humor" I wouldn't, damn, Chloe, don't make my mind even go in that direction!!!!!!!!!!

Great to hear from you!!!!!!!!!! Can 'ya gimme some 'mo dat Sonny Boy Williamson, maybe Eddie Floyd "Knock On Wood"!

Psychoblues

_76cFrvTFVc Merry Christmas :salute:

chloe
11-30-2010, 09:49 PM
DID you say something????

Sorry, just cant take my eyes off of.......#$%^&*(&^%^^&**&^%^&

uh huh,,,,,JUST JOKING

How is Rudolph doing????
I love Rudolph,,

He just got out of jail for assault :laugh:, yeah he had a bar fight apparantly he was heard saying "Oh yeah you used to laugh and call me names...remember that bozo?"...."well I'm not playin reindeer games now, am I?" He's been harboring a resentment a long time, he always says its better to cause a resentment then to have one...Thanks for asking, wink

LuvRPgrl
11-30-2010, 10:18 PM
He just got out of jail for assault :laugh:, yeah he had a bar fight apparantly he was heard saying "Oh yeah you used to laugh and call me names...remember that bozo?"...."well I'm not playin reindeer games now, am I?" He's been harboring a resentment a long time, he always says its better to cause a resentment then to have one...Thanks for asking, wink

Hope that gets his resentment taken care of, we need him more than ever.....

Thanks much for that music, thats fantastic stuff,,,,I'm just getting into some slow jazz station too, unbelievable, I'm really glad the new stuff coming out for the last 10-15 years has really, really been lacking

Its forced me to go find some old stuff I never heard before

Dont know if you have heard it, but "Hey" by "stolen identity", I just heard it the other night when I was just CHILLIN, and it was awesome, but you need to be in the mood, need it dark, need to be really kickin back listen to some mellow stuff and then turn it on, and turn it up.

I need to know how you linked that.....

Oh, and check out luther van dross,,,one last dance with my father???

If anyone can listen to that song and not cry,,,they need to see a doctor.

Later,,,,,,,,,,,DUDE ron out.............

LuvRPgrl
11-30-2010, 10:25 PM
http://ilike.myspacecdn.com/play#Luther+Vandross:Dance+With+My+Father:13681:s3 10852.8121466.7323105.0.1.22%2Cstd_e2cb141b433c908 b8c02e99ff9ff394e

Hmm, maybe I already figured it out,,,,,,check this

Funny thing is I never had a father,
but it reminds me of when I put my little ones to sleep

hmmm, once I link it, it only plays a portion, guess I have to try another source

chloe
11-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Hope that gets his resentment taken care of, we need him more than ever.....

Thanks much for that music, thats fantastic stuff,,,,I'm just getting into some slow jazz station too, unbelievable, I'm really glad the new stuff coming out for the last 10-15 years has really, really been lacking

Its forced me to go find some old stuff I never heard before

Dont know if you have heard it, but "Hey" by "stolen identity", I just heard it the other night when I was just CHILLIN, and it was awesome, but you need to be in the mood, need it dark, need to be really kickin back listen to some mellow stuff and then turn it on, and turn it up.

I need to know how you linked that.....

Oh, and check out luther van dross,,,one last dance with my father???

If anyone can listen to that song and not cry,,,they need to see a doctor.

Later,,,,,,,,,,,DUDE ron out.............

FE3uuq1rSjU

Wow I like that groove it's soft n sensual, you gotta join me n Binky in the music thread sometime....wink

Psychoblues
12-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Okay then.

How long have you been gay?

nt, the ladies were having such a wonderful conversation, well all except a little childish outburst by one that demands attention but refuses to understand why she doesn't get it, but then you come along with your silly shit.

:pee: NightTrain

ps. Carry on, girls. Really, I enjoy your back and forth.

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
12-01-2010, 01:10 AM
ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLY GREAT FREAKING JOB YOU DID HERE,

GREAT job Psycho......

YOU post something we can all agree on and then you go and diverge it by sticking your elbow into other areas and start anonymously attacking other board members of supporting the concept the BOGUS church supports even though not one member said anything to support the Phelps dude.

I was thinking of mentioning that the members of the so called church are NOT CHRISTIANS, but since the thread was going along without any disputes, I figured I wouldn't do it.

But then you had to attack some board members. You just had to, didnt you, couldnt resist, now Im understanding the PSYCHO part of blues

Just what board member did I attack, lvrgrl?

Psychoblues

NightTrain
12-01-2010, 09:35 AM
nt, the ladies were having such a wonderful conversation, well all except a little childish outburst by one that demands attention but refuses to understand why she doesn't get it, but then you come along with your silly shit.

:pee: NightTrain

ps. Carry on, girls. Really, I enjoy your back and forth.

Psychoblues

Come on now, David. How can you object to an honest question like that?

Psychoblues
12-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Come on now, David. How can you object to an honest question like that?

I never object to any honest question and I am not objecting to your question now as dishonest as it is. I would prefer, however, a comment from you as to your feelings about any differences between the fear and hatred of the queers as demonstrated by the Phelps clan and the fear and hatred of the same as demonstrated by many members on this board. I really am interested in hearing about any difference that exists in that respect and a few have already demonstrated their confusion by implying something more sinister than my intentions towards an honest conversation.

I always think self reflection is good even if it hurts sometimes. And that is a primary purpose of my posting this thread. It makes one stronger and smarter, don't you agree?

Psychoblues

Psychoblues

logroller
04-06-2011, 04:24 PM

Not entirely an honest question. An honest question would have been "Do your perverse views in politics extend into your bedroom?"
I'm not defending your POV on liberalism, just pointing out the underlying assertion that you think his views are wrong and you wish to villify him further. I wouldn't answer either. It's OK that you asked mind you, but you can't draw a conclusion from a non-answer, nor attempt to, or you have engaged in an act of perversion. :thumb:

LuvRPgrl
04-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Just what board member did I attack, lvrgrl?

Psychoblues

If you would care to take the time to read my post carefully, you would see that I said you attacked board members anonymously, meaning you didnt NAME them, but attacked them in general

Don't even try denying it.

Thunderknuckles
04-07-2011, 12:02 PM
The Phelps clan is pretty much universally despised by everyone...
I was enjoying the thread until I got to that line and new that, despite the good news, this thread would take a turn for the worst. You cannot convince Psycho that you despise the WBC thugs.

Anyway, good to see this town rally around one of their own.