PDA

View Full Version : Democrat South Gone

Kathianne
11-28-2010, 11:57 AM
As the following article says, the South has gone GOP for decades though the state legislatures have tended to stay Democrat. No longer and this in the year that new districts will be drawn:

Democratic South finally falls
By: Jonathan Martin
November 28, 2010 07:01 AM EST

For Democrats in the South, the most ominous part of a disastrous year may not be what happened on Election Day but what has happened in the weeks since.

After suffering a historic rout — in which nearly every white Deep South Democrat in the U.S. House was defeated and Republicans took over or gained seats in legislatures across the region — the party’s ranks in Dixie have thinned even further.

In Georgia, Louisiana and Alabama, Democratic state legislators have become Republicans, concluding that there is no future in the party that once dominated the so-called Solid South.

That the old Confederacy is shifting toward the GOP is, of course, nothing new. Southerners have been voting for Republican presidents, senators and governors for decades.

But what this year’s elections, and the subsequent party switching, have made unambiguously clear is that the last ramparts have fallen and political realignment has finally taken hold in one of the South’s last citadels of Democratic strength: the statehouses.

Protected by a potent mix of gerrymandering, pork, seniority and a friends-and-neighbors electorate, Democratic state representatives and senators managed to survive through the South’s GOP evolution — the Reagan years, the Republican landslide of 1994 and George W. Bush’s two terms. Yet scores of them retired or went down in defeat earlier this month. And at least 10 more across three states have changed parties since the elections, with rumors swirling through state capitols of more to come before legislative sessions commence in January. Facing the prospect of losing their seats through reapportionment — if not in the next election — others will surely choose flight over fight...

Couple that with the tea parties commitment to focus on local and sea changes could certainly be in store for 2012:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?29962-Tea-Parties-Are-Going-Local

Is anyone keeping contacts with tea parties in your areas? Is there anyone besides myself that would like to see the GOP reformed or overtaken by a new party along the lines of tea parties ideals?

Mr. P
11-28-2010, 02:01 PM
As the following article says, the South has gone GOP for decades though the state legislatures have tended to stay Democrat. No longer and this in the year that new districts will be drawn:

Couple that with the tea parties commitment to focus on local and sea changes could certainly be in store for 2012:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?29962-Tea-Parties-Are-Going-Local

Is anyone keeping contacts with tea parties in your areas? Is there anyone besides myself that would like to see the GOP reformed or overtaken by a new party along the lines of tea parties ideals?
I'm with you on that. :thumb:

Gaffer
11-28-2010, 02:06 PM
I think most are just sitting quietly and watching to see what the new electorate does. Haven't heard of any meetings or get togethers. I think everyone is in a wait and see mode. But you can bet they're watching.

Kathianne
11-28-2010, 03:02 PM
I think most are just sitting quietly and watching to see what the new electorate does. Haven't heard of any meetings or get togethers. I think everyone is in a wait and see mode. But you can bet they're watching.

No doubt people are waiting and watching.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2hmegpf.png

I'm on the board of one of the state parties and involved with the Chicago local also. They are keeping in touch via facebook or email:
Catherina XXXXX Come out after work and join us, Friday, December 10th, 6 p.m. - 10 p.m., for some Christmas Cheer at XXgan's Irish Pub, XXXXX

We have reserved the backroom in Dugan's and will be serving light appetizers and a cash bar.

This will be a really fun after work event where we can get to know each other..., relax and have some fun!

This will be so much fun! A night of patriots, without any boring candidates!

Please bring your friends and family. There will be a very cool raffle held. There is no charge, but donations, of course will be accepted.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

XXXXX
Chicago Tea Patriots
XXXXX
XXXXX

P.S. There will be a Southwest Side New Year's Snowflake Ball in Januaray, too.