PDA

View Full Version : "Goodbye Happy Kitty"

eighballsidepocket
01-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Had a little difficulty re-registering, but I made it back.

I also want to thank all for their very sensitive responses to this post before the website problems happened.

Well, here's my original post about our beloved little Happy Kitty who passed on just a short time ago, and the impact of her life.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

Goodbye Happy Kitty

The Saturday before Christmas, I had to take our little girl kitty, Happy, down to the vet, and have her put to sleep. We have owned dogs, cats, rabbits, gerbils, parakeets, and aquarium fish, but Happy-Kitty, was so special. She was only 9 years old, and that's not very old for a kitty.

About a year ago, she started wheezing a lot, and the vet said she had Asthma. I gave her all the medications for Asthma, and also had to contend with intermittent ear infections, and other things that this poor little kitty would go through with the Asthma.

Why is she so special? Well, first of all, she was brought home from a little pet store by our middle son. You know; those little surprises that Mom and Dad are supposed to accept, and live with. "Hi, Mom, Hi Dad, look what I've got here. Isn't she cute and cuttley?". Well, this little kitten of unknown pedigree that looked like your basic brown tabby with little white paws and a white spotted tummy was something else. First of all, she had been weaned too young and didn't know how to even lap up milk or eat soft or crunchy cat food. Dear old dad here, became the nurse-made of Happy-Kitty. I bought that stuff called KLM that's supposed to be digestible for young kittens. We set up a little litter box in our sons room and he(son) and I worked on getting little Happy-Kitty to learn to eat, so she wouldn't starve to death. Well at the time we had two(Yes Two others!) other Kitties in the house who were just barely adults cats. The male adult kitty named Teddy was a 23 pound Balinese cat, and was a pretty laid-back guy. Anyway, little Happy Kitty would follow Teddy everywhere. Teddy, didn't want to have anything to do with Happy, but gradually he accepted her, and little Happy and Teddy became best friends. Teddy a male, actually showed little Happy how to eat solid food and lap up liquids with her tongue. Big old Teddy would even tolerate this little pudgy Tabby kitten wrestling him.

One day, we heard a muffled crying sound that we knew was little Happy. Dear old Teddy decided that the wrestling was over, and he basically just laid down on little Happy. She was buried under this 23 pound guy, like a baby chick under momma hen's butt. Anyway, she/Happy squirmed out from under Teddy, and was no worse for wear. We laughed and laughed. Teddy just needed to settle down this little rascal that wanted to keep pestering and playing with him.

Well, 9 years later, I'm sitting in the vet's office with Happy in a cat carrier. Her head is nuzzled into a clean terry towel that I just put in the carrier at home. Happy's original Asthma, was actually the beginning of Nasal Cancer. I have worked hard for the last two months giving Happy all the comfort possible to her. In fact two months earlier, I brought her in and asked the vet if she was suffering? The vet didn't think so, but said that we would know when the time had come to say good bye to Happy. I think today is the day. The Cancer has pushed some tissue up her nasal tract on one side to the point that you can see a tumor-like tissue almost coming out of her nostril. The other nostril just runs all the time and I'm forever wiping her nose, and putting terry towels on all of our furniture where she wants to lay. I'm giving her meds in the morning and meds in the evening. I prodded and pushed her to eat, even though her nasal breathing was getting so labored.

During all this time, Happy Cat, with her labored breathing, would come to me, purring, and jump/crawl up on my lap and just stare into my eyes, with this alert, sweet look of some type of comprehension. She would lift her paw up and touch my chin and cheek and nuzzle her head into my chest or lap.

I never owned a kitty that would make distinct eye-contact with my eyes like Happy. All animals will look you in the eyes at times, but Happy did it all the time. She seemed to innately know that my or my wife's eyes were the point of recognition between her and us. It was a very loving stair.

Well, about a day and a half ago, that little stare didn't happen. Happy's eyes weren't open big and round. They were, maybe 2/3rds open, and she seemed like she was staring past us. She wanted to just lay down and not move all day. In my gut, I knew that something seriously was happening finally.

The doctor told me that he believed that she was finally at the point where she is truly suffering. He felt that the tumor in her nasal passage was inevitably going to push back to her brain and that internal bleeding would ensue. He also thought there was some swelling happening above her nose and in the area of her eyes. He said that there were alternatives, such as radiation, etc.., but me and the wife are not of great monetary means, and can only afford so much for our little pets. Never the less, the vet felt that those alternatives would only possibly postpone the inevitable.

I finally said, "ok", to putting Happy to sleep. The doctor asked me if I would want to be present when he administered the high dose, barbiturate into Happy's I.V.. I said, "No.".. I just didn't think I could stand to watch the lethal med being administered into her. A couple minutes later, I changed my mind. I wasn't going to sit there in the waiting room and see Happy and carrier carted off, and then expect the doctor to come out and say, it's done. I had to be by Happy's side when she passed away.

I waited in a special little room at the animal hospital. The doctor came in with our Happy laying/I.V. inserted, on a nice cozy lambs wool blanket. She was just stretched-out with her head laying on the lambs wool. I asked the doctor if she had been sedated, as she just laid there not moving but just half staring and breathing quietly. "No, she's not sedated.", said the doctor. Now was the time for me to give the "ok", or "Go ahead, doctor." instructions. I petted Happy's back, and even lifted her weak head and scratched her chin. I couldn't hold it any longer. I sobbed, and sobbed, and said, "goodbye Happy" in my sobs. There was ample Kleenex there. I nodded to the doctor, and he inserted a syringe into the I.V.. Within just seconds, Happy just went limp and stopped breathing........I sobbed, again... I felt like an executioner, and I know that I was doing Happy a favor, yet, I was thinking about those little warm white booted paws that used to stroke my face, and those eyes that looked deep into mine. She was gone. Her eyes didn't close at her parting. I tried to close her eyes with my fingers, but the doctor said that they always die with their eyes open. I couldn't stand looking at Happy staring as though there was this void in her. The doctor left me with Happy and said to let him know when I was ready to release her to them. I finally stopped crying, and took the lambs wool blanket and covered Happy's lifeless shell. I tapped on the door and the doctor came in and took Happy's body away.

Well, it's been about a week and a half since Happy's parting, and I'm doing much better now. Every once in a while, I see this picture of her in that room just as she passed on and I cringe inside, and get this terrible feeling of loss of a little friend.
Ok folks, I'm a biblical Christian, and I hope you don't think that I place the lives of pets over the loss of humans and especially our loved-ones. I definitely don't. Yet, I was really impacted, this time and at times in the past by the passing of my/our little furry friends.

I lost my Mom to Lupus in 1992, and my father to a heart attack in 1995. My mother suffered terribly, and was only about 70 lbs. when she passed away. My Dad passed away quietly, and peacefully in his sleep.

I love and loved my parents beyond all imagination. Yet, some how I was better equipped to handle their passing, than I have with these little pets in my life. I know that God understands all the intricacies of life, and the bonds that we humans form with our loved ones, friends, etc... Yet, I never thought growing up that I would ever morn the loss of a pet-animal the way I recently have.

I'm a grandpa, a husband, and a dad. I know that my grand children(4 of them), sons(3 married), and my wife are so special to me, and are literal gifts from God. I know that if something horrendous happened to them, I would suffer much greater loss than this recent parting of Happy Kitty.

I miss Mom and Dad, yet I am a dad myself, and a husband as my dad was, and a grandfather as my dad was.
Well, in some mysterious way, I've have gotten much enjoyment out of having a little pet-friend too.
I will always remember you Happy. I even think God used you, a simple little common breed cat to touch my life and others in a special way. Good bye Happy. I will always miss you.:(

Abbey Marie
01-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Here is the pet loss bereavement site again that I recommended:

http://www.aplb.org/frame.html

jimnyc
01-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Thank you for reposting this. I've always had a special place for all of my pets and it's nice to see/hear about others with big hearts. :)

Pale Rider
01-08-2007, 10:38 AM
I have a cat myself. He was found in a colapsed, wet box half dead along with his sister who had succumbed to hypothermia. He didn't know how to eat or drink either. Too young. But I heated milk and eye dropper fed him, did battle with the fleas and nursed him to health. It's going on sixteen years later, and I dread the day I have to say goodbye to this guy. He's been my only companion all these years, and I love him dearly.

Your story really choked me up.

My heart felt feelings are with you.

eighballsidepocket
01-08-2007, 05:20 PM
To all of you, I really appreciate your posts.

In fact, your posts show so much sensitivity, and really again bring me to tears, as we humans are really a special community, and really are a needy species. People relationships and animal friends are a special blessing, and integral to our lives.

Thank you again.

trobinett
02-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Living on a working ranch, we have cats, dogs, pigs, chickens, goats, cows, you name it.

We have four cats in the house, one outside. The outside cat, "tucks man" was rescued by my 15 year old granddaughter about 2 years ago.

He always greets me in the morning when I come out to the barn, and is there to greet me when I come home at night.

He certainly would qualify as my "bud".

He and my constant companion, Harley(my mutt), are very close, and play all the time. I've caught them running at full tilt out though the field, and finally ending with Harley jumping into the pond.

The wife and me love ALL our animals.:2up:

Sorry for your lost Eight.

Birdzeye
02-12-2007, 04:24 PM
So sorry for your loss, Eight.

I lost a cockatoo two years ago. He was really special and I still miss him. I was a basket case after he died.

Abbey Marie
02-12-2007, 04:54 PM
So sorry for your loss, Eight.

I lost a cockatoo two years ago. He was really special and I still miss him. I was a basket case after he died.

I'm sorry about your loss.
Welcome to the board! It's always great to welcome another animal lover. :)

jimnyc
02-12-2007, 05:02 PM
FWIW, and it may sound stupid...

I was driving down the road yesterday when I saw a squirrel run across the road and get hit by the car in front of me. He kept on running, but much slower and looked like he was just using his front legs. He likely didn't make it much further. It literally gave me an uneasy feeling in my stomach. I know most people think they are nothing more than rats, but I even had a few rats as pets growing up. I hate to see any animal suffer, and as strange as it may sound, I have a harder time dealing with pets than most humans. Maybe I was a monkey or something in a prior life.

eighballsidepocket
02-12-2007, 05:16 PM

I was driving down the road yesterday when I saw a squirrel run across the road and get hit by the car in front of me. He kept on running, but much slower and looked like he was just using his front legs. He likely didn't make it much further. It literally gave me an uneasy feeling in my stomach. I know most people think they are nothing more than rats, but I even had a few rats as pets growing up. I hate to see any animal suffer, and as strange as it may sound, I have a harder time dealing with pets than most humans. Maybe I was a monkey or something in a prior life.

Your not weird for feeling or being that way. I think that us humans are endowed with empathy towards other people and creatures that suffer. I think that distinguishes us from the other species. In fact without empathy for other's suffering whether it is human or 4 legged, is a sign of mental/emotional health and stability, as it shows that you are indeed in-touch with your feelings.

Just think what kind of a world we would have if there wasn't this empathy for suffering. In fact we see this lack in many parts of the world, including the good old U.S. of A. at times, and society suffers badly when it's lacking.

If you ever read "Lord Of The Flies", you'll see a fictional revealing of humanity when those qualities are gradually eroded. It's basically savagery, and animalistic behavior as the alternative.

Never the less, we have to exercise balance too when experiencing our feelings in any particular direction.

Society as a rule lacks a transparency that could be very healthy for all.

Abbey Marie
02-12-2007, 06:05 PM

I totally understand. :)

trobinett
02-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Well shit guys, had a bad deal happen today.

The guys across the street at the Suzuki dealership saw a dog running around, that looked lost. Kept crossing across the road, which happens to be the fucking truck route, called our shop, and our people saw him/her just as he got hit by a truck!

Took him a few minutes to die, we are all just bummed out.

I just felt like crying.

Whoever dropped that dog of...............:upyours:

Birdzeye
02-12-2007, 08:22 PM
I brake for animals. :wink2:

eighballsidepocket
02-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Well shit guys, had a bad deal happen today.

The guys across the street at the Suzuki dealership saw a dog running around, that looked lost. Kept crossing across the road, which happens to be the fucking truck route, called our shop, and our people saw him/her just as he got hit by a truck!

Took him a few minutes to die, we are all just bummed out.

I just felt like crying.

Whoever dropped that dog of...............:upyours:

Interesting that you mention this. People get up in arms about ferrel dogs and cats roaming the countryside raising havoc in farm areas or rural areas, yet those little dog packs or pesky wild city kitties usually started their life in someone's ownership/home, and said owner just "dumped" them off, or abandoned them, rather than taking them to the city/county animal shelter where maybe they might get adopted into a family.(Surprisingly taking them to the animal shelter is not a "death sentence" as most that are brought in; dogs and cats, if in good health will be adopted rather than euthanized.). The animal shelters often even nurse animals back to health as they have on-staff vets there too.

We had a beautiful Golden Retriever, named Nugget, and I thought she needed a companion so I compulsively stopped at a local pet shop, and bought this Puppy of Australian/lab mix. Well, we named him Snoopy, and Snoopy was just one high-wired dog. He just couldn't relax, and I'm sure the Australian/lab mix had a lot to do with his demeanor. Anyway, with a lot of tears, our family all took grown-up Snoopy to the County animal control. About a week later, we got the wonderful news that Snoopy was adopted to a family with very active little kids. He/Snoopy had the perfect home now. As for our Golden Retriever, she was one relieved doggy. Snoopy was wearing her out. His natural herding instinct affected our Golden very negatively. Snoopy would actually grab Nuggets collar and try to pull her/Nugget around our back yard. He also wore a path in our back yard lawn that looked like a race track. He wore Nugget and us human members-out. He needed constant fun, play, attention. Much more than we could provide to him in all fairness to him.

Anyway, those that open the perverbial car door and dump'em out ought to be hit with a nice fat "fine". It really is inhumane, and most of these animals end up becoming Road kill, or disease infected, etc..

The Slayer
02-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Sorry I am so late to read this thread. I am sorry for your loss.
I am a proud mother to two short hair, blue healer wild boys and I cannot imagine the day I dont have them to go home to. I also am a rescuer of any animal that is within visual range, this causes a few problems in my house as I cannot afford to keep bringing animals home, but I cant help myself. I once bought a damn rat because she looked so sad in her cage, she was a pregnant feeder rat and 3 days later I was grandma to about 8 more little rodants.. Needless to say I wont be doing that again anytime soon.
So my heart even thought it is belated, goes out to you for your loss.

darin
02-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Slayer - do you have human children?

The Slayer
02-15-2007, 01:34 PM
No, why?

Psychoblues
04-06-2007, 10:16 PM

I also want to thank all for their very sensitive responses to this post before the website problems happened.

Well, here's my original post about our beloved little Happy Kitty who passed on just a short time ago, and the impact of her life.

Goodbye Happy Kitty

The Saturday before Christmas, I had to take our little girl kitty, Happy, down to the vet, and have her put to sleep. We have owned dogs, cats, rabbits, gerbils, parakeets, and aquarium fish, but Happy-Kitty, was so special. She was only 9 years old, and that's not very old for a kitty.

About a year ago, she started wheezing a lot, and the vet said she had Asthma. I gave her all the medications for Asthma, and also had to contend with intermittent ear infections, and other things that this poor little kitty would go through with the Asthma.

Why is she so special? Well, first of all, she was brought home from a little pet store by our middle son. You know; those little surprises that Mom and Dad are supposed to accept, and live with. "Hi, Mom, Hi Dad, look what I've got here. Isn't she cute and cuttley?". Well, this little kitten of unknown pedigree that looked like your basic brown tabby with little white paws and a white spotted tummy was something else. First of all, she had been weaned too young and didn't know how to even lap up milk or eat soft or crunchy cat food. Dear old dad here, became the nurse-made of Happy-Kitty. I bought that stuff called KLM that's supposed to be digestible for young kittens. We set up a little litter box in our sons room and he(son) and I worked on getting little Happy-Kitty to learn to eat, so she wouldn't starve to death. Well at the time we had two(Yes Two others!) other Kitties in the house who were just barely adults cats. The male adult kitty named Teddy was a 23 pound Balinese cat, and was a pretty laid-back guy. Anyway, little Happy Kitty would follow Teddy everywhere. Teddy, didn't want to have anything to do with Happy, but gradually he accepted her, and little Happy and Teddy became best friends. Teddy a male, actually showed little Happy how to eat solid food and lap up liquids with her tongue. Big old Teddy would even tolerate this little pudgy Tabby kitten wrestling him.

One day, we heard a muffled crying sound that we knew was little Happy. Dear old Teddy decided that the wrestling was over, and he basically just laid down on little Happy. She was buried under this 23 pound guy, like a baby chick under momma hen's butt. Anyway, she/Happy squirmed out from under Teddy, and was no worse for wear. We laughed and laughed. Teddy just needed to settle down this little rascal that wanted to keep pestering and playing with him.

Well, 9 years later, I'm sitting in the vet's office with Happy in a cat carrier. Her head is nuzzled into a clean terry towel that I just put in the carrier at home. Happy's original Asthma, was actually the beginning of Nasal Cancer. I have worked hard for the last two months giving Happy all the comfort possible to her. In fact two months earlier, I brought her in and asked the vet if she was suffering? The vet didn't think so, but said that we would know when the time had come to say good bye to Happy. I think today is the day. The Cancer has pushed some tissue up her nasal tract on one side to the point that you can see a tumor-like tissue almost coming out of her nostril. The other nostril just runs all the time and I'm forever wiping her nose, and putting terry towels on all of our furniture where she wants to lay. I'm giving her meds in the morning and meds in the evening. I prodded and pushed her to eat, even though her nasal breathing was getting so labored.

During all this time, Happy Cat, with her labored breathing, would come to me, purring, and jump/crawl up on my lap and just stare into my eyes, with this alert, sweet look of some type of comprehension. She would lift her paw up and touch my chin and cheek and nuzzle her head into my chest or lap.

I never owned a kitty that would make distinct eye-contact with my eyes like Happy. All animals will look you in the eyes at times, but Happy did it all the time. She seemed to innately know that my or my wife's eyes were the point of recognition between her and us. It was a very loving stair.

Well, about a day and a half ago, that little stare didn't happen. Happy's eyes weren't open big and round. They were, maybe 2/3rds open, and she seemed like she was staring past us. She wanted to just lay down and not move all day. In my gut, I knew that something seriously was happening finally.

The doctor told me that he believed that she was finally at the point where she is truly suffering. He felt that the tumor in her nasal passage was inevitably going to push back to her brain and that internal bleeding would ensue. He also thought there was some swelling happening above her nose and in the area of her eyes. He said that there were alternatives, such as radiation, etc.., but me and the wife are not of great monetary means, and can only afford so much for our little pets. Never the less, the vet felt that those alternatives would only possibly postpone the inevitable.

I finally said, "ok", to putting Happy to sleep. The doctor asked me if I would want to be present when he administered the high dose, barbiturate into Happy's I.V.. I said, "No.".. I just didn't think I could stand to watch the lethal med being administered into her. A couple minutes later, I changed my mind. I wasn't going to sit there in the waiting room and see Happy and carrier carted off, and then expect the doctor to come out and say, it's done. I had to be by Happy's side when she passed away.

I waited in a special little room at the animal hospital. The doctor came in with our Happy laying/I.V. inserted, on a nice cozy lambs wool blanket. She was just stretched-out with her head laying on the lambs wool. I asked the doctor if she had been sedated, as she just laid there not moving but just half staring and breathing quietly. "No, she's not sedated.", said the doctor. Now was the time for me to give the "ok", or "Go ahead, doctor." instructions. I petted Happy's back, and even lifted her weak head and scratched her chin. I couldn't hold it any longer. I sobbed, and sobbed, and said, "goodbye Happy" in my sobs. There was ample Kleenex there. I nodded to the doctor, and he inserted a syringe into the I.V.. Within just seconds, Happy just went limp and stopped breathing........I sobbed, again... I felt like an executioner, and I know that I was doing Happy a favor, yet, I was thinking about those little warm white booted paws that used to stroke my face, and those eyes that looked deep into mine. She was gone. Her eyes didn't close at her parting. I tried to close her eyes with my fingers, but the doctor said that they always die with their eyes open. I couldn't stand looking at Happy staring as though there was this void in her. The doctor left me with Happy and said to let him know when I was ready to release her to them. I finally stopped crying, and took the lambs wool blanket and covered Happy's lifeless shell. I tapped on the door and the doctor came in and took Happy's body away.

Well, it's been about a week and a half since Happy's parting, and I'm doing much better now. Every once in a while, I see this picture of her in that room just as she passed on and I cringe inside, and get this terrible feeling of loss of a little friend.
Ok folks, I'm a biblical Christian, and I hope you don't think that I place the lives of pets over the loss of humans and especially our loved-ones. I definitely don't. Yet, I was really impacted, this time and at times in the past by the passing of my/our little furry friends.

I lost my Mom to Lupus in 1992, and my father to a heart attack in 1995. My mother suffered terribly, and was only about 70 lbs. when she passed away. My Dad passed away quietly, and peacefully in his sleep.

I love and loved my parents beyond all imagination. Yet, some how I was better equipped to handle their passing, than I have with these little pets in my life. I know that God understands all the intricacies of life, and the bonds that we humans form with our loved ones, friends, etc... Yet, I never thought growing up that I would ever morn the loss of a pet-animal the way I recently have.

I'm a grandpa, a husband, and a dad. I know that my grand children(4 of them), sons(3 married), and my wife are so special to me, and are literal gifts from God. I know that if something horrendous happened to them, I would suffer much greater loss than this recent parting of Happy Kitty.

I miss Mom and Dad, yet I am a dad myself, and a husband as my dad was, and a grandfather as my dad was.
Well, in some mysterious way, I've have gotten much enjoyment out of having a little pet-friend too.
I will always remember you Happy. I even think God used you, a simple little common breed cat to touch my life and others in a special way. Good bye Happy. I will always miss you.:(

Thank you, eightballsidepocket. Thank you very much. You have written one of the most moving stories about a very much loved pet as I have ever read and I read a bunch. I am so glad that you reposted this thread.

eighballsidepocket
04-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Thank you, eightballsidepocket. Thank you very much. You have written one of the most moving stories about a very much loved pet as I have ever read and I read a bunch. I am so glad that you reposted this thread.

Psychoblues:

Your above reply is very generous and heart-felt; I can tell.

It's been a little while now since Happy Kitty has been gone from us, but we have her picture on the refrigerator and in a couple other spots in the house.

She really impacted our lives.

It even brings me to think about how folks in old people's homes and convalescent homes really respond to folks that bring in cats and dogs as part of an encouragement ministry to these often forlorn and forgotten folks.

Animals are forgiving, they don't look at the outside of people, they just, "accept" and "give". This is something us humans (me/others) could try to apply at times in our lives.

Thank you again for your very kind/understanding post in reply to "Goodbye Happy Kitty".

Psychoblues
04-08-2007, 09:44 PM
I didn't say much in that post, eightballsidepocket, and I sincerely thank you having shared your story with us. I love animals and I love the interactions between humans when it comes to our relationships with animals.

Psychoblues:

Your above reply is very generous and heart-felt; I can tell.

It's been a little while now since Happy Kitty has been gone from us, but we have her picture on the refrigerator and in a couple other spots in the house.

She really impacted our lives.

It even brings me to think about how folks in old people's homes and convalescent homes really respond to folks that bring in cats and dogs as part of an encouragement ministry to these often forlorn and forgotten folks.

Animals are forgiving, they don't look at the outside of people, they just, "accept" and "give". This is something us humans (me/others) could try to apply at times in our lives.

Thank you again for your very kind/understanding post in reply to "Goodbye Happy Kitty".

I cried as I read about your experience with Happy-Kitty. You will see Happy-Kitty again, I am confident.

CockySOB
04-08-2007, 10:13 PM
I didn't say much in that post, eightballsidepocket, and I sincerely thank you having shared your story with us. I love animals and I love the interactions between humans when it comes to our relationships with animals.

I cried as I read about your experience with Happy-Kitty. You will see Happy-Kitty again, I am confident.

One of the great things about our pets is that they couldn't give a rats ass about our politics. They're all about unconditional love, and that's a good thing.

:cheers2:

Psychoblues
09-12-2007, 03:00 AM
I couldn't help myself on this one.

Goodbye Happy Kitty

I always tend towards the support of the little ones. 8ball is so genuine and so powerful in this story that I simply must bump it back to the top for another reading and opportunity for comment from the pet lovers that I know reside here.

diuretic
09-12-2007, 04:49 AM
Regardless of political differences, you are very good, kind people. Our animal friends look to us for not that much but give us back so much.

eighballsidepocket
09-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Been almost a year since Happy Kitty's passing, yet I still reflect on her impact in my, and our family's lives.

She was, but a wee little mite of a kitten that our middle son brought home from a little pet store years ago.

She had been weaned too early from her Momma, and didn't even know how to eat dry food or lap up liquids very well.

I bought KLM powdered formula and gradually got her to take that. Also, we had an older male cat (Teddy - 20+ lbs.) that adopted her under his care and actually taught her how to eat out of a dish, and handle dry food. That old male cat still survives, and was her best "cat" friend; most likely like a Momma to her. He'd watch over her and guard her from other cats that would intimidate her. It was indeed an interesting alliance.

Never the less, I think Happy Kitty, with her too-early weaning, adopted us, and also thought she was more a human than a kitty.

I've never in the past, or since her passing experienced a kitty that had this deep penetrating, loving, stair, from her eyes into ours. It was so unique and different from our other pet's behaviours. She'd just lock onto your eyes, and raise her paw up and stroke or pat your face like she had some understanding beyond the limitations of her species. It was as though she wanted to speak to us, but couldn't, so the paws and the stair was her means.

Thank you all (Psychoblues), for resurrecting this thread that I posted to honor and remember a special little four-legged life that impacted Eightballsidepocket and his family. :)

eighballsidepocket
09-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Regardless of political differences, you are very good, kind people. Our animal friends look to us for not that much but give us back so much.

Oh, so true! :)

Psychoblues
09-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Also true, 8Ball. Notalota genuine compassionates in this venue.

Oh, so true! :)

I am genuinely sorry for that, 8Ball.