PDA

View Full Version : EU launches antitrust probe into Google...

revelarts
11-30-2010, 02:11 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gISfW3QPAtgpTqdV2934DmcjKVkw?docId=ab7728e4f 30a495f96e01786448094fd

EU launches antitrust probe into Google

(AP) – 8 hours ago

BRUSSELS (AP) — European Union regulators will probe whether Google Inc. has been manipulating its search results to stifle competition, funnel more traffic to its own services and protect its global stranglehold of the online search market.

The European Commission's move, announced Tuesday, is the first formal investigation by a major regulatory agency into these issues and could potentially result in billions in fines, as in the recent cases of Microsoft Corp. and Intel Corp.

Several competitors, one owned by Microsoft, say that links to their services appear too low on Google's general search results. They also claim that when Google offers similar services, such as online price comparison, it puts its own links higher on the sponsored search results, the ones companies have to pay for.

In addition, the Commission will look into whether Google prevented advertising partners from posting ads from Google's competitors on their sites and whether it was making it more difficult for customers to move data from their advertising campaigns to other ad platforms.

The issue could boil down to whether Google has a right to program its search engine the way it wants or whether it is abusing the market power it has accumulated by processing about two out of three search requests made worldwide.

This much is clear: Google's own services consistently have ranked at or near the top of its search results. In some cases, there's clear logic to the rankings because some of Google's properties, including its mapping service and YouTube video site, are considered to be among the best and most authoritative in their categories.

But other Google services, such as finance and health, that aren't as widely used or as well regarded also tend to get high rankings in the search results.

Google has steadfastly insisted that it avoids bias in its search results by using a closely guarded formula for determining rankings. But at other times, Google executives have conceded they sometimes give their own services preferential treatment, and have argued if users aren't happy with the results, they can easily migrate to another search engine such as Bing.

The three companies that lodged complaints in February are U.K.-based price comparison site Foundem, French legal search engine ejustice.fr and shopping site Ciao, owned by Microsoft through its own search engine Bing — which has struggled to wrestle online market share away from Google....

fj1200
11-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Success must be punished it would seem. Maybe their effective tax rate was too low.

revelarts
11-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Not much a "free market" though if there's only one player though is it?

fj1200
11-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Not much a "free market" though if there's only one player though is it?

Bing, Yahoo, etc. Since when is success the benchmark for anti-trust?

But if you think a 12 year old company has become the greatest threat to western culture then by all means break it up.

revelarts
11-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Bing, Yahoo, etc. Since when is success the benchmark for anti-trust?

Pretty much always, right?
So Your successful and control a whole market.
Your a trust or monopoly now, congratulations see you in court.

But if you think a 12 year old company has become the greatest threat to western culture then by all means break it up.
WHy does it have to be the greatest threat to western civilization.
I thinks it's really bad , on privacy issues and other items even ratting out people in China. but it's not the greatest threat to mankind.
but it maybe a trust. which is not good for the market and sad to say there's no good way to break it up but by the gov't. i wish there were. the gov't doesn't really know what it doing but . Yahoo, Bing, STARTPAGE.COM (http://startpage.com/) and others need some room to maneuver don't you think?
Mike Tyson vs 3 tough 8 yr old boys is not really competition is it?

NightTrain
11-30-2010, 03:31 PM
It's a pretty easy solution for Bing, Yahoo and the others : If you want to be Top Dog, then produce a superior service.

Whining because Google is the best search engine is bullshit.

I don't use any other search engine other than Google, because I've found it is the best. If another search engine suddenly appears on the scene that is better, I'll jump ship in a heartbeat and change my search engine preferences to the new one.

I'm pretty sure everyone else will, too.

fj1200
11-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Pretty much always, right?
So Your successful and control a whole market.
Your a trust or monopoly now, congratulations see you in court.

Success in a free market with NO BARRIERS TO ENTRY is not a barometer for anti-trust. How do they "control" the market? They are a business with a better way of doing business, users flock to them. Claiming an internet business of all things is monopolistic where consumers will abandon in a heartbeat is a ridiculous thing to claim.

WHy does it have to be the greatest threat to western civilization.
I thinks it's really bad , on privacy issues and other items even ratting out people in China. but it's not the greatest threat to mankind.
but it maybe a trust. which is not good for the market and sad to say there's no good way to break it up but by the gov't. i wish there were. the gov't doesn't really know what it doing but . Yahoo, Bing, STARTPAGE.COM (http://startpage.com/) and others need some room to maneuver don't you think?
Mike Tyson vs 3 tough 8 yr old boys is not really competition is it?

I was being overly dramatic I thought you'd like it. You think it's bad, don't use it. Go ahead and convince a certain percentage (enough that they're no longer a monopoly) of people that they are bad and the problem will be solved.

The government "doesn't really know what it's doing" but you see fit to jump and grant them supreme decision making power? I'm not sure how that works. :rolleyes:

revelarts
11-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Success in a free market with NO BARRIERS TO ENTRY is not a barometer for anti-trust. How do they "control" the market? They are a business with a better way of doing business, users flock to them. Claiming an internet business of all things is monopolistic where consumers will abandon in a heartbeat is a ridiculous thing to claim.
You make the right points here, they probably do not qualify as a FULL ON trust or monopoly. However they are definitely THE big dog in the game. I wouldn't quite call it a "level playing field" or fair. But i wouldn't want the Gov't to try open the playing field unless no one else could play at all.

I was being overly dramatic I thought you'd like it.
missed the humor there, all this serious "torture is the American way talk" makes makes me take all these post reeeally seriously..

You think it's bad, don't use it. Go ahead and convince a certain percentage (enough that they're no longer a monopoly) of people that they are bad and the problem will be solved.
That's good too...
Have you heard of STARTPAGE.COM they DO NOT track your searches or record your IP address Unlike some other unnamed search engines.
Try it! The the RIGHT thing to do. FREEDOM from gov't observation it's your right if you choose to use it.
http://Startpage.com

The government "doesn't really know what it's doing" but you see fit to jump and grant them supreme decision making power? I'm not sure how that works. :rolleyes:

It's called "the lesser of 2 evils" .
You do know how that works, it's like voting for the major parties.

fj1200
11-30-2010, 05:13 PM
You make the right points here, they probably do not qualify as a FULL ON trust or monopoly. However they are definitely THE big dog in the game. I wouldn't quite call it a "level playing field" or fair. But i wouldn't want the Gov't to try open the playing field unless no one else could play at all.

That's good too...

Thanks for the kind words. Being the biggest is not automatically grounds for anti-trust; you just might be the best.

Have you heard of STARTPAGE.COM they DO NOT track your searches or record your IP address Unlike some other unnamed search engines.
Try it! The the RIGHT thing to do. FREEDOM from gov't observation it's your right if you choose to use it.
http://Startpage.com

It's called "the lesser of 2 evils" .
You do know how that works, it's like voting for the major parties.

I'll give startpage a try.

Parties are a whole different thread. :laugh: But I have been thinking lately about how the government imposed primary system may have led to encouraging only two major parties.