PDA

View Full Version : Senate votes down ban on earmarks, 39-56

BoogyMan
11-30-2010, 08:25 PM
So the senate voted down a moratorium on earmarking and did so with the aid of 8 republicans. Take names and make sure these people are not forgotten.

Link (http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/appropriations/131093-earmark-ban-voted-down-in-the-senate)

The Senate on Tuesday morning defeated a proposal from Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) to ban congressional earmarks.

In a 39-56 vote, members defeated a temporary ban on the appropriations procedure. The moratorium was offered as an amendment to a food-safety bill that is scheduled for a final vote Tuesday morning.

Senate Republicans have already passed a voluntary ban on earmarks in their caucus, but several GOP senators have objected to it. Democrats have so far declined to ban earmarks from their members.

.: Read the rest of this article :. (http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/appropriations/131093-earmark-ban-voted-down-in-the-senate)

Kathianne
11-30-2010, 08:29 PM
So the senate voted down a moratorium on earmarking and did so with the aid of 8 republicans. Take names and make sure these people are not forgotten.

I agree:

Sens. Thad Cochran (Miss.), Susan Collins (Maine), James Inhofe (Okla.), Dick Lugar (Ind.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Richard Shelby (Ala.) voted against an amendment to food-safety legislation that would have enacted a two-year ban on the spending items. Retiring Sen. George Voinovich (Ohio) and defeated Sen. Bob Bennett (Utah) also voted against it.

Gaffer
11-30-2010, 08:51 PM
I agree:

Sens. Thad Cochran (Miss.), Susan Collins (Maine), James Inhofe (Okla.), Dick Lugar (Ind.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Richard Shelby (Ala.) voted against an amendment to food-safety legislation that would have enacted a two-year ban on the spending items. Retiring Sen. George Voinovich (Ohio) and defeated Sen. Bob Bennett (Utah) also voted against it.

voinovich is retiring before he could be run out of office and this kind of vote is why bennett will no longer have a seat. All the losers are going to get even over the next month

SassyLady
12-01-2010, 12:44 AM
I agree:

I'm a little confused. These senators didn't vote against the earmark ban...they voted against the food safety amendment, and this amendment would have someone enacted the ban on earmarks for two years? How does that work?

red states rule
12-01-2010, 04:41 AM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/aria101118_cmyk20101117121246.jpg

Kathianne
12-01-2010, 04:50 AM
I'm a little confused. These senators didn't vote against the earmark ban...they voted against the food safety amendment, and this amendment would have someone enacted the ban on earmarks for two years? How does that work?

It was an amendment to the bill that contained the two year moratorium. To vote against the amendment, they had to defeat the bill.