PDA

View Full Version : New Kittens

LiberalNation
05-04-2007, 09:22 PM
So this stray wild cat had a liter of four kittens. Watched her move them a lot and played with them when she was gone. They finally looked old enough to take home a few days ago so I picked two. They are eating wet food and our really sweet. I was suprised considering how wild the parents are and how they hissed when I first when near them. Looks like they'll make two nice house cats.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2227/picture002th0.jpg

shattered
05-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Umm..

A) They shouldn't be eating wet food. They should be eating kitten chow with *maybe* a little milk.

B) LOOKED old enough? They need to be 8 weeks old. 6 weeks is too early in most cases. Those only look about 4 weeks old...maybe 5.

C) Vet appointments are a requirement - especially if they're strays. You don't know what diseases they have, and they need to be dewormed, or they likely won't live that long.. Most stray kittens don't grow up to be stray cats.

D) It was really mean to steal them from the mother, who's probably searching for them right now, thus neglecting her other two... they all should have gone to a shelter together to get the proper care they need.

:(

LiberalNation
05-04-2007, 09:34 PM
There about 4 weeks and they woulda died outside anyway and if they didn’t the neighbors would kill them cuz there are so many stray wild cats running around the neighborhood. The males were scouring the place looking for them. As for the momma cat, sorry think she'll get over it. Vet of course I'm gona take them in a few days. They aren't eating dry food yet cuz they can't just bottle feeding with kitten formula mixed with water and a little wet food.

shattered
05-04-2007, 09:37 PM
There about 4 weeks and they woulda died outside anyway and if they didn’t the neighbors would kill them cuz there are so many stray wild cats running around the neighborhood. The males were scouring the place looking for them. As for the momma cat, sorry think she'll get over it. Vet of course I'm gona take them in a few days. They aren't eating dry food yet cuz they can't just bottle feeding with kitten formula mixed with water and a little wet food.

So you took them from their mother far before they were ready, thus torturing the mother, since SHE is the one that should wean them, torturing the kittens because they aren'y READY to be away from their mother yet, malnourishing the ones you DID take, because they're not getting MOTHERS milk, possibly killing the remaining TWO due to neglect, and you think you did the right thing?

That is THE most irresponsible thing I've ever heard in my life.

Proof positive that some libs think about nothing but themselves. Selfish bitches.

LiberalNation
05-04-2007, 09:40 PM
I think I did the right thing, they may live, may not, they have just as much chance as house cats then as growing up outside and being wild. Plenty of cats have been bottle fed by humans and lived. That strays gona have a litter every year for a long time anyway so again not worried at all about her except for the pest she may become if she keeps having kittens in all the nieghbors and my bushes. As for malnourished, you haven't seen their half starved looking mother.

shattered
05-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I think I did the right thing, they may live, may not, they have just as much chance as house cats then as growing up outside and being wild. Plenty of cats have been bottle fed by humans and lived. That strays gona have a litter every year for a long time anyway so again not worried at all about her except for the pest she may become if she keeps having kittens in all the nieghbors and my bushes. As for malnourished, you haven't seen their half starved looking mother.

If you wanted to do the RIGHT thing, and gave half a shit about them, rather than yourself, and "cute factor" you'd have taken them to a shelter where people are trained to care for them, at which point you could have gone back to adopt the two you wanted.

LiberalNation
05-04-2007, 09:59 PM
lol have you ever seen our shelter. They killed 70 cats just a few weeks ago because they were so over crowded. Stinks to high heaven in there with 5 cats to one little cage. No I don't think they'd be better off their either although I did call the humane society and ask how they should be cared for. Seemed like pretty good advice and they're going to the vet next week to get checked out.

I think your worrying over nothing, they're eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom, playin and climbing stuff. Look like pretty healthy happy cats to me.

The cats I did adopt from out shelter had to be taken back cuz they had problems. That's why I thought I'd try with some kittens and hopefully have better luck in getting a cat that could do things like go in a litter box and not be crazy shy or wild.

Oh and their eyes are open. They're just sleeping in that picture.

shattered
05-04-2007, 10:02 PM
lol have you ever seen our shelter. They killed 70 cats just a few weeks ago because they were so over crowded. Stinks to high heaven in there with 5 cats to one little cage. No I don't think they'd be better off their either although I did call the humane society and ask how they should be cared for. Seemed like pretty good advice and they're going to the vet next week to get checked out.

I think your worrying over nothing, they're eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom, playin and climbing stuff. Look like pretty healthy happy cats to me.

The cats I did adopt from out shelter had to be taken back cuz they had problems. That's why I thought I'd try with some kittens and hopefully have better luck in getting a cat that could do things like go in a litter box and not be crazy shy or wild.

Did you tell the humane society the truth? Because I can't imagine for one single minute they would have told you it's ok to take 2 out of 4 kittens from a mother, and leave the rest there..especially without going to pick them up Or, did you magically find them "abandoned", and you lied to them?

LiberalNation
05-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Now of course I found them abandoned. Better then finding them shot thru with a bb gun pellet in a few weeks.

shattered
05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Now of course I found them abandoned. Better then finding them shot thru with a bb gun pellet in a few weeks.

So you lied AND you're selfish, and self-centered.

Go, Libs, Go!

LiberalNation
05-04-2007, 10:13 PM
I am selfish and self-centered but can't say I thing I've done wrong here. Possibly 2 live house cats over probably 4 dead feral stray cats sound like it evens out to me.

shattered
05-04-2007, 10:17 PM
I am selfish and self-centered but can't say I thing I've done wrong here. Possibly 2 live house cats over probably 4 dead feral stray cats sound like it evens out to me.

You keep believing that... The right thing to do would have been to take them all to the humane society, tell them that you're interested in adopting the two you wanted, and let them take proper care of them, thus giving the other two kittens a reasonable chance at life, and finding a home.

But, no.. You pick through what you want, and just leave the rest there with the knowledge they will probably die because you disrupted a natural progression of things for your own selfish wants, rather than doing the responsible thing...

LiberalNation
05-04-2007, 10:22 PM
One you have to pay to take them to the humane society if you live in the county which I do. If the other two live they'll have a home as feral cats like their mom.

As for disrupting, she had six kittens when I first saw them in my bushes as newborns. Have no idea what happened to the two but they were gone the next time I found them as I watched her moving her kits across the road and into a new place for the fifteenth gillion time. I think all the toms prowling around were disrupting her more tho she did keep the outdoor stray I feed occasionally when she had them at my place.

LiberalNation
05-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Though I could have gotten a kitten from the neighbors. About 4 have cats that just had kittens but then I thought I'd be better taking these two since they're are so many stray cats around and this neighborhood doesn't need anymore feral cats.

Anyway will se what happens in a few weeks.

krisy
05-05-2007, 07:59 AM
LN-I think your heart is in the right place. Is it possible that your vet may be willing to help with the mother and other two kittens? Mom needs to be fixed. Our vet has two or three cats and dogs that he found as strays that he took in,fixed and now are "house" pets in his office.

I can understand you worry about shelters. Some of them complain about not having funds,but that doesn't mean they can't clean them.

LiberalNation
05-05-2007, 11:01 AM
LN-I think your heart is in the right place. Is it possible that your vet may be willing to help with the mother and other two kittens? Mom needs to be fixed. Our vet has two or three cats and dogs that he found as strays that he took in,fixed and now are "house" pets in his office.
I'm not sure. The mom is feral and one of the most wily cat I've ever seen. She'd have to be trapped and most vets wont fix them unless you can pay or are low income and my parents aren't gona pay for some wild stray cat. The shelter in town would kill her if she was turned in. They don't worry about fixing or keeping unadoptable pets.

krisy
05-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure. The mom is feral and one of the most wily cat I've ever seen. She'd have to be trapped and most vets wont fix them unless you can pay or are low income and my parents aren't gona pay for some wild stray cat. The shelter in town would kill her if she was turned in. They don't worry about fixing or keeping unadoptable pets.

I see.

Well,good luck with them. shattered is probably right about the feeding. You may want to at least start mixing some dry in with that wet. Wet food should usually be a supplement,dry food is best for them.

LiberalNation
05-05-2007, 11:09 AM
I am now, they're eating it.

darin
05-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm with shattered on this one - fully. LN - from now on, don't steel the offspring of cats/animals because they seem cute. :(

LiberalNation
05-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Didn't steal them because they seemed cute. Don't even like kittens all that much. Stole them cuz I want a house cat that's not wild or fucked up. Also cuz they were just going to die outside anyway and if they did grow up be killed by dogs that run loose or neighbors. Seriously, I've watched people set on their porches and take shots at the feral cats around here. Don’t think they like them going in their flower beds and chasing/killing the birds they feed.

darin
05-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Didn't steal them because they seemed cute. Don't even like kittens all that much. Stole them cuz I want a house cat that's not wild or fucked up. Also cuz they were just going to die outside anyway and if they did grow up be killed by dogs that run loose or neighbors. Seriously, I've watched people set on their porches and take shots at the feral cats around here. Don’t think they like them going in their flower beds and chasing/killing the birds they feed.

self-centered, followed by assumptions. :) It's aight. We were young.

LiberalNation
05-05-2007, 11:52 AM
I am self-centered, never claimed otherwise but I didn't just pick up these cat's cuz i thought they were cute. Kittens are work and too playfull. Like adult cat's better but they'll grow up.

Joan
05-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Sir Evil had a feral cat that had kittens she stowed in his yard. When he almost ran over two of them with the lawn mower, he brought them inside. He and his then wife bottle fed them until they were old enough for dry food. Momma cat would come up on the porch and cry and he would take them outside to see her. They adapted very well away from momma. In fact they are now all growed up and living with me. I insisted on having them vet check before he moved in here. Cost me $300 for this!! Momma cat was pregnant again when he moved over here. The two "babies" are now full grown, and happy little lounge lizards! As for taking kittens to a shelter - about 10 or so years ago, my female managed to get herself pregnant (she would sneak outside once in a while) and gave birth to 7. I found good homes for 4 of them, and someone told me to take the others to the shelter, which I did. Two days later a friend asked me if I had any kittens left as she wanted one. We drove over to the shelter only to find out that they had been euthanized the day before! I adopted my beloved Duncan from a shelter when he was only 5 weeks old, and they had already had him neutered. My vet had a fit about that when I took him in for his shots!

Mr. P
05-05-2007, 12:01 PM
We have a bunch of 'rescue' operations around here. Folks that volunteer to take animals and find homes for them, instead of going to the pound. It works well.

Nienna
05-05-2007, 05:17 PM
LN... I'm not much of an animal-lover, although I definitely think it's wrong to treat animals cruelly. I don't know much about the care of pets, and you might want to listen to Shattered & krisy's advice about that, because they seem to know a lot about pets. But, just for the record, seems to me as if you were trying to do a good thing. :)

Birdzeye
05-07-2007, 02:33 PM
There's a female feral cat who has established squatter's rights, so to speak, in my back yard. Every year she has a litter right about this time. I never feed them.

One of my coworkers has referred me to a local alley cat rescue organization. If I understand it correctly, they are big on neutering then releasing feral cats, which suits me fine.

LiberalNation
06-17-2007, 08:10 PM
So the kitties are doing good, getting nice and big. They're well behaved house cats and really loving. That's why I took them so young. The feral mommy still has one kitten. Nice fat healthy grey one that's as wild as her. Haven't seen him in a few days but just today saw the momma with a dead rabbit in her mouth taking it back to him I'm guessing. That cat is really good at keeping the mice and bunnies away at least. Don't know what's gona happen when she has more and more litters.

Pale Rider
06-18-2007, 10:34 AM
I got my cat when he was really, really young too. I don't think he was much over four weeks old. Maybe even younger. He had been left in a box at a fair with his sister, and it started to rain. The box collapsed, and they were found because he was moving under the wet box. His sister was dead. Probably hypothermia. It was chilly. A person directly brought him to me, wet, hungry, flea bit and scared. Poor little fart. I flea bathed him immediately and got him warmed up, 'cause fleas can actually kill a kitten. They don't have that much blood in them. But to feed him, I just warmed up some milk and dabbed it on his nose. He licked that off just fine, but he didn't know how to drink. So I shoved his little nose down in the warm milk, and he got the idea right quick and was drinking on his own. He's fifteen years old and nineteen pounds now. Happy and spoiled.

Cats are among the most resilient creatures on earth. It's amazing what they can over come. Once those cats are old enough for dry food LN, they can live on that their whole life. Just ask your vet.

medical 2933
08-07-2007, 04:01 AM
Vet of course I'm gona take them in a few days. They aren't eating dry food yet cuz they can't just bottle feeding with kitten formula mixed with water and a little wet food.