PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Marine’s medals, mementos in tug-of-war

Monkeybone
12-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Wow... this guy is something else.

GARY – The family of the first female U.S. Marine to die in a combat zone is trying to get back her dog tags, funeral flag and other belongings from an Indiana businessman who bought them when payments on a storage unit were missed.

Matthew Winters Jr., the brother of the late Marine Sgt. Jeannette Winters, said he has delayed returning home to Twentynine Palms, Calif., so he could obtain the items now owned by Mark Perko of Lake Station. He said late Tuesday afternoon that he was awaiting a call from Perko for a possible meeting. Winters believes Perko should give the items back to the Winters family.

“I asked him how much he paid. He said he doesn’t know,” Winters told The Associated Press on Tuesday. “I said, ‘Give me a number.’ ”

Perko said he’s been inundated with calls from reporters after a story appeared Tuesday in the Post-Tribune of Merrillville. He said he’s trying to decide the right thing to do with the property but that he can’t just give it away.

He said he’s trying to decide the right thing to do with the property but that he can’t just give it away. um... maybe the right thing to do would be just to give back the mementos and keep everything else. To me this boils down to money, plain and simple.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20101201/LOCAL12/312019976