PDA

View Full Version : Desperate Libs Ratchet Up Extremist Label

jimnyc
12-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Another excellent article from the forgotten and much smarter Limbaugh, David!
-------------------

With the advent of the tea party movement and President Obama's recent "shellacking," the left's long-established effort to marginalize mainstream conservative Americans as fringe extremists has reached a new stage of desperation.
For at least the past half-century, the dominant media culture has portrayed minority liberalism as mainstream and conservatives as shrill malcontents. From the time I started paying attention to politics as a young kid, liberals have been demonizing conservatives as reactionary throwback Neanderthal knuckle-dragging, warmongering extremists.

I'll never forget the "Daisy" ad from the LBJ presidential campaign, which featured a little girl picking petals from a daisy in a field as an ominous countdown from "10" led into footage of a nuclear explosion. The voice of LBJ then interceded with "These are the stakes, to make a world in which all of God's children can live or to go into the dark. We must either love each other, or we must die."

The unmistakable message was that Republican presidential candidate Barry Goldwater could not be trusted with his finger on the nuclear button. The ad resonated because the liberal media had already laid the foundation that conservative ideas were not just antiquated and obsolete but also dangerous.

Liberals similarly depicted Ronald Reagan as a bellicose buffoon itching to light up Moscow with his "Star Wars" nuclear toys; never mind that "Star Wars" was the left's pejorative shorthand for Reagan's proposed Strategic Defense Initiative, which was, as its title indicated, a defense system.

http://www.davidlimbaugh.com/mt/archives/2010/11/new_column_desp.html#more

Kathianne
12-01-2010, 04:08 PM
The press hasn't met a conservative they liked in over 100 years.

Nixon was definitely paranoid, but the media certainly made it worse by persecuting him from looks, to dress, family, and psychological profile. Ford was a 'bumpkin', 'accidental president'-double pun intended by media, not too bright...

You covered Reagan or Limbaugh did. Bush I they had some respect for, mostly because he was like them-basically a Democrat. Yet, they made hay out of 'no more tax' promise, he didn't have the right letter after his name. Bob Dole, well he didn't really stand a chance, then there was Perot. I don't remember the media being too rough on him intellectually. Bush II, oh man, big guns and then the election of 2000!