PDA

View Full Version : The Da Vinci Code

abso
12-02-2010, 02:07 PM

have you read it ?
if yes, what do you think of it ?

Plot summary:
This book describes the attempts of Robert Langdon, Professor of Religious Symbology at Harvard University, to solve the murder of renowned curator Jacques Saunière of the Louvre Museum in Paris. A baffling cipher is found near his body. Saunière's granddaughter and Langdon attempt to sort out the bizarre riddles and are stunned to discover a trail of clues hidden in the works of Leonardo Da Vinci.
The unraveling of the mystery requires solutions to a series of simple brain-teasers, including anagrams and number puzzles. The ultimate solution is found to be intimately connected with the possible location of the Holy Grail and to a mysterious society called the Priory of Sion, as well as to the Knights Templar. The story also involves the Roman Catholic organization Opus Dei.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Da_Vinci_Code#Plot_summary

i am not posting this for a discussion about the movie or the story of course, just to discuss the inaccuracies of the book from the religious aspect.

i think that there are many inaccuracies, its filled of many lies to convert religion into an interesting novel and movie.

so who read it, and what you think about it ?

Inaccuracies in The Da Vinci Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inaccuracies_in_The_Da_Vinci_Code

hjmick
12-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I read it, thought it was a fantastic read. Don't care about the inaccuracies, it's fiction. The movie sucked out loud, as did the follow up book, Lost Symbol. We waited for five years for that book and it was a steamimg pile of shit. Brown should be forced to give me back my money for that one...

abso
12-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I read it, thought it was a fantastic read. Don't care about the inaccuracies, it's fiction. The movie sucked out loud, as did the follow up book, Lost Symbol. We waited for five years for that book and it was a steamimg pile of shit. Brown should be forced to give me back my money for that one...

of course its a fantastic book, i really loved it as a novel, ony of the best novles i have ever read in my life, and i agree too about the movie, it was a failure.

but although i dont really know the inaccuracies in it, because i dont know much about christianity and its history, but i am sure that there are many inaccuracies, and i hate when i see a religion's history played with so that someone can make some money.

thats why i started this thread, to learn about the inaccuracies in the story from christians who read the book.

Thunderknuckles
12-02-2010, 05:36 PM
It was a good book. Any inaccuracies regarding the Christian faith don't bother me. I don't see why Christians, Catholics in particular, got their panties in a bunch over Brown dragging the faith through the mud a bit especially when the Roman Catholic Church has done a far more efficient job of that on its own.

hjmick
12-03-2010, 12:09 AM
I wouldn't call them inaccuracies, per se, more like a twisting of the facts to get a good story. Dramatic license, if you will.

SassyLady
12-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Loved it! Great adventure story and keeps you engaged and waiting for the next clue. Could care less about the inaccuracies....wasn't reading it to learn anything about religion anyway.

PostmodernProphet
12-03-2010, 08:12 AM
can't help.....never read it or watched the movie.....

abso
12-03-2010, 08:39 AM
i agree with everyone about the story, its really great, i loved it, i read it 6 years ago when i was in the 10th grade.

but doesnt anyone have anything to say about the religious aspect of the story ? :poke:

SassyLady
12-03-2010, 04:20 PM
i agree with everyone about the story, its really great, i loved it, i read it 6 years ago when i was in the 10th grade.

but doesnt anyone have anything to say about the religious aspect of the story ? :poke:

Why say anything .... it's just a storyline in a book/movie. Not worth comment...unless, of course, you have something significant to say ... and if so, then say it.

abso
12-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Why say anything .... it's just a storyline in a book/movie. Not worth comment...unless, of course, you have something significant to say ... and if so, then say it.

nope, i dont have anything to say, because i dont really remember it very well, i read it 7 years ago, but i hoped that anyone else have something to say about it, so that we can discuss it :thumb:, just trying to open a discussion.

SassyLady
12-03-2010, 07:19 PM
nope, i dont have anything to say, because i dont really remember it very well, i read it 7 years ago, but i hoped that anyone else have something to say about it, so that we can discuss it :thumb:, just trying to open a discussion.

Fair enough.

How about this from Illuminati News:

GENETIC MANIPULATION
"Doomsday Seed Vault" in the Arctic
Bill Gates, Rockefeller and the GMO giants know something we don’t
by F. William Engdahl, Global Research, Dec 04, 2007
One thing Microsoft founder Bill Gates can’t be accused of is sloth. He was already programming at 14, founded Microsoft at age 20 while still a student at Harvard. By 1995 he had been listed by Forbes as the world’s richest man from being the largest shareholder in his Microsoft, a company which his relentless drive built into a de facto monopoly in software systems for personal computers.
In 2006 when most people in such a situation might think of retiring to a quiet Pacific island, Bill Gates decided to devote his energies to his Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the world’s largest ‘transparent’ private foundation as it says, with a whopping $34.6 billion endowment and a legal necessity to spend $1.5 billion a year on charitable projects around the world to maintain its tax free charitable status. A gift from friend and business associate, mega-investor Warren Buffett in 2006, of some $30 billion worth of shares in Buffet’s Berkshire Hathaway put the Gates’ foundation into the league where it spends almost the amount of the entire annual budget of the United Nations’ World Health Organization.
So when Bill Gates decides through the Gates Foundation to invest some $30 million of their hard earned money in a project, it is worth looking at.
No project is more interesting at the moment than a curious project in one of the world’s most remote spots, Svalbard. Bill Gates is investing millions in a seed bank on the Barents Sea near the Arctic Ocean, some 1,100 kilometers from the North Pole. Svalbard is a barren piece of rock claimed by Norway and ceded in 1925 by international treaty (see map).

On this God-forsaken island Bill Gates is investing tens of his millions along with the Rockefeller Foundation, Monsanto Corporation, Syngenta Foundation and the Government of Norway, among others, in what is called the ‘doomsday seed bank.’ Officially the project is named the Svalbard Global Seed Vault on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen, part of the Svalbard island group.

http://www.illuminati-news.com/Articles/12.html

SassyLady
12-03-2010, 07:26 PM
If you are interested in the subject of the Doomsday Seed Vault then you would love the novel by James Rollins called the Doomsday Key ... it's a good read like the Da Vinci Code ... and the interesting part is it's based on actual evidence.

hjmick
12-04-2010, 03:59 PM
If you are interested in the subject of the Doomsday Seed Vault then you would love the novel by James Rollins called the Doomsday Key ... it's a good read like the Da Vinci Code ... and the interesting part is it's based on actual evidence.

Rollins books are always a fun read. Though I sometimes wish there was more detail in his books. He's a very funny guy in person as well...

SassyLady
12-05-2010, 02:51 AM
Rollins books are always a fun read. Though I sometimes wish there was more detail in his books. He's a very funny guy in person as well...

You've met him?!!! Wow.....I read one of his books ... pulled it off the supermarket bookshelf ... got hooked, went to Borders and bought everything he wrote. Then I sat down and read them in order so I could keep up with the characters.

He would definitely be on my list of interesting people to meet.

hjmick
12-05-2010, 02:02 PM
You've met him?!!! Wow.....I read one of his books ... pulled it off the supermarket bookshelf ... got hooked, went to Borders and bought everything he wrote. Then I sat down and read them in order so I could keep up with the characters.

He would definitely be on my list of interesting people to meet.

I met him at a book signing where he talked and took questions. Very funny stories about his family, very nice man.

Pagan
12-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't call them inaccuracies, per se, more like a twisting of the facts to get a good story. Dramatic license, if you will.

Da Vinci Code was a fictional rip off of a non fiction book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" by Jonathan Cape.

SassyLady
12-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Da Vinci Code was a fictional rip off of a non fiction book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" by Jonathan Cape.

So....doesn't make it any less of a good read.

hjmick
12-06-2010, 12:13 AM

To call Holy Blood, Holy Grail non-fiction is a bit of a stretch, but you are correct, both books hit the same themes and Brown did use Holy Blood, Holy Grail for many of his ideas for The Da Vinci Code.