PDA

View Full Version : Being 'Semi' Unemployed

Kathianne
12-03-2010, 08:47 PM
maybe underemployed? Anyways today was interesting. First got a call from one of my credit card companies, trying to sell me 'ID theft protection'. LOL! Let someone just try to use one of my credit cards. :laugh2: They'll be arrested I'm certain.

Found out that I can get unemployment for Thanksgiving week, when there were no sub jobs. Obviously the same with coming Christmas weeks. I figure I make about $23 more per week working at subbing after taxes and union and retirement fund, than I do on unemployment. Somehow that's weird, but I'm happier working. ;)

SassyLady
12-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Yeah working is better than not working ... the agency I'm listed with called me today for a part-time position .... only 12 hours/week..would love to have a couple of positions like this...but need a couple more like this, preferably in same city.

Gas is $3.28/gallon here and going up daily so gas cost is a factor and the job is a 70 mile round trip....have to make the trip twice a week ... even though the second day is only for half a day...so would be nice to have a couple of jobs in the same area.

As for the credit card protection ... if you keep them maxed out it doesn't matter if someone steals them .... hahahaha!!! The thiefs can't charge on them either!

Kathianne
12-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah working is better than not working ... the agency I'm listed with called me today for a part-time position .... only 12 hours/week..would love to have a couple of positions like this...but need a couple more like this, preferably in same city.

Gas is $3.28/gallon here and going up daily so gas cost is a factor and the job is a 70 mile round trip....have to make the trip twice a week ... even though the second day is only for half a day...so would be nice to have a couple of jobs in the same area.

As for the credit card protection ... if you keep them maxed out it doesn't matter if someone steals them .... hahahaha!!! The thiefs can't charge on them either!

As long as working is ahead of not working, I'll work. My problem regarding bills really has to do with the schools. Today I looked at the 'stubs.' They 'cut off' two weeks before cutting the check. I get paid twice a month. No wonder I feel I'm sinking! I am. Unemployment pays every two weeks, for the two weeks before. My 11/19 check from school, paid 11/25 cut off any days after 10/25.

chloe
12-03-2010, 09:51 PM
maybe underemployed? Anyways today was interesting. First got a call from one of my credit card companies, trying to sell me 'ID theft protection'. LOL! Let someone just try to use one of my credit cards. :laugh2: They'll be arrested I'm certain.

Found out that I can get unemployment for Thanksgiving week, when there were no sub jobs. Obviously the same with coming Christmas weeks. I figure I make about $23 more per week working at subbing after taxes and union and retirement fund, than I do on unemployment. Somehow that's weird, but I'm happier working. ;)

So is your house still up for sale ?

Kathianne
12-03-2010, 09:53 PM
So is your house still up for sale ?

I haven't listed it yet. I'm trying to hang on for now. It's getting very dicey.

chloe
12-03-2010, 10:24 PM
I haven't listed it yet. I'm trying to hang on for now. It's getting very dicey.

I was recently looking at HUD homes and came across some so dirt cheap they are practiclly the price of a nice brand new rv, anyway it was in a city I think not very far from chicago called la porte indiana, have you ever heard of it?

Kathianne
12-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I was recently looking at HUD homes and came across some so dirt cheap they are practiclly the price of a nice brand new rv, anyway it was in a city I think not very far from chicago called la porte indiana, have you ever heard of it?

Pretty far from me, but a pretty big area. If you are interested, check it out.

SassyLady
12-03-2010, 11:16 PM
I found this to be a very interesting map ... a county-by-county visual of where the unemployment is the highest.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/03/03/us/20090303_LEONHARDT.html?ref=economy

Kathianne
12-03-2010, 11:24 PM
I found this to be a very interesting map ... a county-by-county visual of where the unemployment is the highest.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/03/03/us/20090303_LEONHARDT.html?ref=economy

It looks like for the 5 county area, DuPage has lowest unemployment, 9%. I suck.

Mr. P
12-04-2010, 06:48 PM

Before I'd pay a fee for protection I'd do it myself an just freeze my credit. It's cheap and very effective.

Kathianne
12-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Before I'd pay a fee for protection I'd do it myself an just freeze my credit. It's cheap and very effective.

Done long ago. Not a problem.