PDA

View Full Version : Like/Dislike - Thumbs up/Thumbs down

jimnyc
12-05-2010, 07:31 AM
While discussing our rep system, quite a few said they liked the "thanks" option and wished there was a "no thanks" or thumbs down option.

Ok, so I found something that has these options:

What it is: Advanced Thanks/Like mod is designed to cut down on spam and increase useful content in your forum by using a peer encouragement system - users thank/like each others posts, which can give them access to attachements, post content etc, as well as encourage the thanked person to post more great content.

Features are as follows:

Lite

Thank for a post: Allow users to thank each other for posts, pretty simple, but immensely popular. Will display who has thanked below the post.

Like a post: Lets users say they like a post. Again, simple enough, but a great way to cut down on spam and help encourage users to post good content. Also displays below the post.

Require a thanks/like: Allows you to hide the content of a post, or hie an attachment, until the person says thank you and/or that they like the post.

Statistics: Shows the top 5 people for; Giving thanks, Receiving thanks, Liking posts, posts liked.

Collapsable postbit stats: Shows how many thanks a person has given, received etc in the postbit, same with likes. Admins can determine what statistics can show in the postbit to control sizes etc. The Thank You part of the postbit is also collapsable.

Admin Permissions: Control things such as who can like, thank, require like and thanks, each feature individually, what shows in postbit, what options can run concurrently, per forum permisions etc.

PRO FEATURES

Dislike Posts: Allows users to dislike a post. Great for situations where someone is spamming, posting ridiculous content etc.

Auto Collapse Disliked Post: Collapses a post so it doesnt show up by default when the number of Dislikes outnumber likes by 'X'

User Postbit Config: Lets users decide what thanks options should show in their postbit.

Show recent: displays the 5 most recent thanks/likes/dislikes with a link to the full list.

Additional permissions: Unthank/like a post, Allow disliking/un-diliking. Control how many stats show on the statistics page, set permissions per subforum.

Now, I'm thinking about purchasing the Pro portion since everyone wants that option which unfortunately doesn't exist in the lite version.

BUT - I "believe" by doing so it would overwrite the current system. So in other words, we will get a "dislike" option, but the "thanks" thus far would once again be reset and we all start from the beginning.

The more that speak up here the better idea I have of whether or not to do this. I'll try to leave this thread up for like a week before making a decision. Speak up, it's YOUR community.

** Btw- this will NOT affect reputation at all, prior or after

red states rule
12-05-2010, 07:36 AM
While discussing our rep system, quite a few said they liked the "thanks" option and wished there was a "no thanks" or thumbs down option.

Now, I'm thinking about purchasing the Pro portion since everyone wants that option which unfortunately doesn't exist in the lite version.

BUT - I "believe" by doing so it would overwrite the current system. So in other words, we will get a "dislike" option, but the "thanks" thus far would once again be reset and we all start from the beginning.

The more that speak up here the better idea I have of whether or not to do this. I'll try to leave this thread up for like a week before making a decision. Speak up, it's YOUR community.

It may help Jim as far as cutting back on the neg reps. It would allow people to express their views better

As far as the thanks resetting - no big deal for me. I am confident in my posts so the "thanks" I get will continue

SassyLady
12-05-2010, 08:31 AM

I like it ... do you need help purchasing it?

jimnyc
12-05-2010, 08:47 AM
I like it ... do you need help purchasing it?

Nope, believe it or not, RSR immediately made a donation towards the purchase of this add-on in preparation, if that's what everyone wants!

red states rule
12-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Nope, believe it or not, RSR immediately made a donation towards the purchase of this add-on in preparation, if that's what everyone wants!

I vote YES - get it

Now, lets hear from the rest of the members

Gaffer
12-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Go for it.

chloe
12-05-2010, 09:15 AM
I vote YES - get it

Now, lets hear from the rest of the members

Whatever Red says, chloe says too:salute:

Kathianne
12-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Was going to give a thanks, but figured to go ahead and write. :laugh2: I'm for it!

Noir
12-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Hmmm, I dont like the idea, if only ther was a button by which I could show my disapproval....

Abbey Marie
12-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I think the thanks (and possible thumbs down) make us lazier about writing replies. But since I am lazy, I can't really complain.

jimnyc
12-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Oh well...

We will still have to wait for a better option to come along.

If you remember, not too awfully long ago, I had replaced the thanks system and everyone lost their totals. Then I reversed my decision and went back to the one we use now.

Well, the one we didn't like was the LITE version of the one we discarded. I wasn't able to put 2 and 2 together until this morning. Even with the added benefit of the "no thanks", I don't think it's a worthy enough modification to install and kill all the current "thanks" for. It's very cheesy and bloated in appearance.

I will keep my eyes out daily for not only a better "thanks" system, maybe a better way to use the "rep system" - but also any other modifications that may make our community better.

I did install some new smilies at the request of a few members though!! Bring up the smilie list when making a post and like the last 7 or 8 are new!! LOL

:crying2::fighting0061: