PDA

View Full Version : Living Simply: Against county rules, evicts man off own property

revelarts
12-05-2010, 09:18 AM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8ImPdMyppM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8ImPdMyppM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

SassyLady
12-05-2010, 07:40 PM
This is just wrong on so many levels. Sounds to me like the county wants to make money off this guy by forcing him to make improvements.

So ... they force him off his land and then he's living on the streets? I sure hope some attorney takes on his case.

This type of stuff makes me spitting mad! :boom2:

SassyLady
12-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Want to let the County know how outraged you are about this....

http://madisoncountyindiana.org/index.html

more info on story:

if you would like to contact the Madison County officials to express your outrage please click here.

To contact Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels office, please click here.

Phone Contact:
Madison County Community "Justice" Center at 765-649-7341
Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels 1-317-232-4567

People have been calling the various government offices and several plan to attend the Madison County Commissioner's meeting next Tuesday, Dec. 7 at 10 AM in the Commissioners Courtroom in the Madison County Government Center, 16 E. 9th Street, Anderson, IN 46016.

One person who called the Planning Commission (765-641-9480) said that it issued the following statement, prepared by the county attorney:

"A zoning violation was filed against Mr Thompson by the planning dept after an investigation commenced. After two hearings in superior court, the court entered an order that Mr Thompson vacate the recreational vehicle as his permanent residence. Mr Thompson has the right to appeal through the courts. As of Nov 30 Mr Thompson said he was moving out of the RV. That doesn’t mean Mr Thompson can’t go back on the property to feed and water his horses. Also Mr Thompson can park his RV on the parcel; he just cannot reside there as his permanent residence.”

http://www.thepeoplesvoice.org/TPV3/Voices.php/2010/12/03/elderly-man-evicted-from-his-land-for-li

revelarts
12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Want to let the County know how outraged you are about this....

http://madisoncountyindiana.org/index.html

more info on story:

Thanks! Absolutely

fj1200
12-06-2010, 10:59 AM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8ImPdMyppM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8ImPdMyppM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

He's breaking local ordinances and zoning laws apparently which he could have investigated prior to purchasing the property. Besides, I thought such decisions are best made locally.

OTOH, I hear the Unabomber's place is up for sale.

SassyLady
12-06-2010, 02:43 PM
He's breaking local ordinances and zoning laws apparently which he could have investigated prior to purchasing the property. Besides, I thought such decisions are best made locally.

It is a local decision....the county wants him to put in electrical, water and sewer ... so it raises the value of the property, so they can get more taxes and make revenue off him. It's criminal to make him a homeless person just because they want to make more revenue from taxes. That revenue agent will find you even if it's in the middle of your 40 acres.

revelarts
12-06-2010, 03:13 PM

There's also a thing called the spirit of the law and the letter of the law.
Which is why local is generally better.
You have a chance to explain why your situation is an exception and local people can decide if you make sense.
If the guy has an decent outhouse. I dont see the problem. he's not a danger to himself or others.
No harm means no crime.
The ordinances are made for people's benefit, not to knock people around.

Pagan
12-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Just like "property tax's", eminent domain (especial with the SCOTUS ruling a couple of years ago) and inheritance tax's, zoning laws just another tool Government uses to steal your home.

I've said numerous times, the people in the U.S. have the illusion of freedom, we are living in a Police State.

fj1200
12-06-2010, 04:41 PM
It is a local decision....the county wants him to put in electrical, water and sewer ... so it raises the value of the property, so they can get more taxes and make revenue off him. It's criminal to make him a homeless person just because they want to make more revenue from taxes. That revenue agent will find you even if it's in the middle of your 40 acres.

So when the local elected officials, or voters, enacted regulations for the health and well being of its citizenry they really had revenue collection in mind? I'm dubious.

There's also a thing called the spirit of the law and the letter of the law.
Which is why local is generally better.
You have a chance to explain why your situation is an exception and local people can decide if you make sense.
If the guy has an decent outhouse. I dont see the problem. he's not a danger to himself or others.
No harm means no crime.
The ordinances are made for people's benefit, not to knock people around.

It appears he doesn't have a decent outhouse at least according to the local officials.

Either way let him request his variance via the appeal process, I'm sure is in place.

I knew I wouldn't make any friends by commenting in this thread. :laugh:

SassyLady
12-06-2010, 04:50 PM
So when the local elected officials, or voters, enacted regulations for the health and well being of its citizenry they really had revenue collection in mind? I'm dubious.

It appears he doesn't have a decent outhouse at least according to the local officials.

Either way let him request his variance via the appeal process, I'm sure is in place.

I knew I wouldn't make any friends by commenting in this thread. :laugh:

So, do you really think these people are evicting this man off his property because they are concerned about his outhouse? The government doesn't come out and put in electricity for him, or put in a septic system with a leach field, or drill a well for him. So, tell me, how concerned are they for his well being if they are not willing to do all this for him?

He's basically camping out on his own land. The thing that cracks me up is that if he had a herd of cattle, or horses, or sheep, grazing out there on this large parcel of land it would be OK. But the "do gooders" of the government have decided that if a human is living out there, they can't possibly be in good health without being on the grid.

darin
12-06-2010, 06:03 PM
This is the kind of thing that motivates good men to start a revolution.

fj1200
12-06-2010, 08:49 PM
So, do you really think these people are evicting this man off his property because they are concerned about his outhouse? The government doesn't come out and put in electricity for him, or put in a septic system with a leach field, or drill a well for him. So, tell me, how concerned are they for his well being if they are not willing to do all this for him?

He's basically camping out on his own land. The thing that cracks me up is that if he had a herd of cattle, or horses, or sheep, grazing out there on this large parcel of land it would be OK. But the "do gooders" of the government have decided that if a human is living out there, they can't possibly be in good health without being on the grid.

I think that he is not living in compliance with the regulations of his community where he chose to live as per the news story and is about the experience the repercussions. Are you proposing that welfare now be enacted for those unable/unwilling to follow the rules?

I'm pretty sure he could be "off the grid" and still be right with the zoning.

SassyLady
12-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I think that he is not living in compliance with the regulations of his community where he chose to live as per the news story and is about the experience the repercussions. Are you proposing that welfare now be enacted for those unable/unwilling to follow the rules?

I'm pretty sure he could be "off the grid" and still be right with the zoning.

I'm proposing that he is not currently dependent and could be when he's evicted.