PDA

View Full Version : Christmas is coming- are you spending less?

Abbey Marie
12-05-2010, 11:57 PM
We cut back on the people we buy for, but- it wasn't our idea. My husband's family decided they would no longer exchange gifts with anyone but their immediate family. Even though they are all working and still making good money. Is this going on in your families too?

SassyLady
12-06-2010, 12:44 AM
We cut back on the people we buy for, but- it wasn't our idea. My husband's family decided they would no longer exchange gifts with anyone but their immediate family. Even though they are all working and still making good money. Is this going on in your families too?

Yes ... but we started last year. I find it easier to buy something the entire family can enjoy rather than presents for individuals. Last year I ordered centerpieces for all the in-laws .... really cut down on the stress of shopping and less money in the long run, and yet let them know that they were in our thoughts during the holidays.

Kathianne
12-06-2010, 05:00 AM
No choice. There's no way I can do Christmas Dinner for the whole family, my brother is hosting instead. Luckily my kids are not kids, so I am out of the exchanging, though I know they are buying for me. I told them not to, but already know they have. I console myself with what I've done in the past and God-willing will do in the future.

With or without gifts and special feasting, Christmas will still come. We'll still go to church and be together.

darin
12-06-2010, 06:19 AM
absolutely - I've been refusing to participate in the 'buy-if-you-love-them' process presented by retailers, for years.

Binky
12-06-2010, 12:09 PM
We started cutting way back last Christmas. Our grandaughters are now entering their teens so it's no more toys, which disappoints my hubby. He loved searching for the toys. Now they just want clothes, makeup, jewelry....All the girlie items. So he's really bummed out. In fact, yesterday he said, "well, honey, looks like the shopping is all on you now since the girls only want girlie stuff."

Our Christmases are winding down in the spending and time invested in it department. They'll come a day when we'll just give them a gift card and let them have at it. One thing for sure, it'll be a whole lot easier on me since I'm the one that does 90% of the wrapping....and 75% of the shopping. Still..........rather sad in one respect. The kids are already starting to become young women.. But are leaving behind their childhoods which will be encased in memories and tucked away.....

SassyLady
12-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Binky....I pretty much quit buying gifts for the kids a couple of years ago .... it's hard for me to keep up with what they are currently interested in ... so I get them a gift certificate to Borders or Target and then we go shopping after Christmas ... they've got their mother's bargaining trait ... they know they get more bang for their buck after Christmas....and it's more fun to watch them go through everything and decide how to ration out their money.