PDA

View Full Version : Did you serve? Why or why not?

Palin Rider
12-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Just curious about what made you all decide one way or the other.

SassyLady
12-08-2010, 02:44 PM

You go first! :cool:

Palin Rider
12-08-2010, 02:49 PM
You go first! :cool:

No problem at all. :)

My dad is a veteran, and he didn't make much of a secret about the fact that he'd have been pleased to see his only son serve, too. By the time I was in high school, he had the connections to get me an appointment to one of the academies.

Just one problem: I couldn't pass the medical, and would never be able to.

It's not something that anyone who meets me in person could discern, and it doesn't give me chronic health issues. I'm neither happy nor unhappy about it: it just is what it is. :dunno:

How about you?

SassyLady
12-08-2010, 02:59 PM

My dad is a veteran, and he didn't make much of a secret about the fact that he'd have been pleased to see his only son serve, too. By the time I was in high school, he had the connections to get me an appointment to one of the academies.

It's not something that anyone who meets me in person could discern, and it doesn't give me chronic health issues. I'm neither happy nor unhappy about it: it just is what it is. :dunno:

How about you?

Married to career solider for 17 years.

Palin Rider
12-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Married to career solider for 17 years.

Is that the reason you didn't serve yourself?

Noir
12-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Don't want to, never had any desires to, so I won't.

PostmodernProphet
12-08-2010, 03:14 PM
the Vietnam War was in it's last stages when I got out of high school...my lottery number was 256 and my county only drafted up to about 50 to reach it's quota.....

I went to college and law school instead....

Gaffer
12-08-2010, 03:28 PM
I was drafted in 1966. Spent 1967 in Vietnam as an infantryman. I saw how the Air Force lived while over there and when I decided to go back in the military in 73 I joined the Air Force. Intended to make a career of it, but then along came carter.

Pagan
12-08-2010, 05:48 PM
10 years, why?

Wasn't born into a rich family let alone even close to being "Middle Class" so I joined. Stayed in because silly as it sounds I believe the Constitution is worth putting your life on the line for.

Palin Rider
12-08-2010, 06:14 PM
10 years, why?

As I said, I'm just curious. IMO there are no right or wrong answers as to why.

Pagan
12-08-2010, 06:19 PM
As I said, I'm just curious. IMO there are no right or wrong answers as to why.

As I stated " Stayed in because silly as it sounds I believe the Constitution is worth putting your life on the line for."

No worries and I didn't take it the wrong way

darin
12-08-2010, 07:15 PM
I didn't want to Enlist in the US Army, so I did.

In everyone's life, we have needs. Physical, social, mental, and the desire to leave a legacy. Service to my nation set me on the path towards doing something for the benefit of my fellow citizens. It took me out of what I 'wanted to do' (Lay around and collect unemployment as if the REST of society OWED me something), and put me into action. I learned skills such as "mind over mattress". I learned how to love and live beside people who were fundamentally different in major areas - ethnicity, sexual preference, religion, politics. I gained wisdom no university can replicate - because the nature of universities are nothing but simply, inadequate "education".

I learned how amazingly happy and thrilling and fulfilling something as simple as 'a warm shower' can be.

I served because I wanted to be more.

SassyLady
12-08-2010, 07:28 PM

How about you?

Actually, I was recruited in high school to work for a VP of a major corporation (was at the top of my business education classes). Went to night school and eventually started my own business.

It never even crossed my mind to join the military .... I was already pursuing a career path. At one time I wanted to join law enforcement but knew early on that I am not good dealing with the dregs of society. Have no empathy or compassion for criminals. I would have been a female "Dirty Harry".

Gaffer
12-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Actually, I was recruited in high school to work for a VP of a major corporation (was at the top of my business education classes). Went to night school and eventually started my own business.

It never even crossed my mind to join the military .... I was already pursuing a career path. At one time I wanted to join law enforcement but knew early on that I am not good dealing with the dregs of society. Have no empathy or compassion for criminals. I would have been a female "Dirty Harry".

In a sense, you served as well. Military wives sacrifice a lot, as do military kids. "They also serve who sit and wait."

Kathianne
12-08-2010, 07:54 PM
In a sense, you served as well. Military wives sacrifice a lot, as do military kids. "They also serve who sit and wait."

I was thinking the same, you stated it well. The families; moms, dads, wives, children give so much. The shocking thing is how many of those children follow their moms and dads. :salute:

crin63
12-08-2010, 08:10 PM
I got into the Carpenters Union in 1981 when I was 17, but I had pretty much decided to go into the military once I finished my apprenticeship and got my Journeyman's book at age 20 or 21. Then I ended up married and with a son on the way in the last semester of my apprenticeship. I didn't want to abandon them voluntarily but would've gone if there had ever been a draft.

I have always regretted having gone into the union first, I should have served first.

Pagan
12-08-2010, 08:15 PM
I got into the Carpenters Union in 1981 when I was 17, but I had pretty much decided to go into the military once I finished my apprenticeship and got my Journeyman's book at age 20 or 21. Then I ended up married and with a son on the way in the last semester of my apprenticeship. I didn't want to abandon them voluntarily but would've gone if there had ever been a draft.

I have always regretted having gone into the union first, I should have served first.

You shouldn't have regrets about it, you really never know what would have happened if you did. The regrets that I do have are true snafu's ya know ;)

Cheers

SassyLady
12-08-2010, 08:56 PM

Thank you Gaffer. It was a honor to be the wife of a warrior.

LiberalNation
12-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Trying 2 if I pass. Dunno why.

Psychoblues
01-11-2011, 11:45 AM
I served August, 1968 - August, 1972 USAF, August, 1972 - August, 1974 Air Force Reserve April, 1983 - November, 1991 Tennessee Air National Guard. I originally joined the Air Force as there was a draft and I knew there weren't many companies hiring ground pounders if and when they got home. The Air Force provided me with a good education in academics, technical skills and in life as dmp talks about earlier in this thread. When I was completely released in 1974 I always missed my Air Force friends and atmosphere. I think any veteran would say much the same. I joined the TANG in 1983 becase of that nostalgia and because I started playing in a band where the lead guitar player was a TANG recruiter. Although I got out far short of retirement I will never regret my time in the TANG. Those were the truly wonder years of my life even though I am a veteran of 2 major conflicts and 1 war as a result of that service.

I never was interested in any haughty legacy or really in any service above myself but I sure did enjoy being able to contrubute and experience in any way that I could. I was just proud to be there.

Psychoblues

actsnoblemartin
01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
two reasons I didnt serve.

Couldnt handle it, and didnt want to

Maybe im a chicken shit, but i try to thank veterans whenever i see them.

gabosaurus
01-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Not everyone is cut out to serve in the military. That is why the draft is a bad idea. The need to right mind set and aptitude to serve in the military. It shouldn't be forced on someone who isn't a good fit.
My mom and dad are opposed. My husband's family are all staunch conservative Republicans, but none ever served in the military. My grandparents fought in WWII. On both sides.

Psychoblues
01-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Not everyone is cut out to serve in the military. That is why the draft is a bad idea. The need to right mind set and aptitude to serve in the military. It shouldn't be forced on someone who isn't a good fit.
My mom and dad are opposed. My husband's family are all staunch conservative Republicans, but none ever served in the military. My grandparents fought in WWII. On both sides.

That is very interesting, gabby. There were 4 of us brothers. 3 of us were (2 are dead from Viet Nam service) Viet Nam veterans and all 3 of us had/have rather liberal opinions of American life. The way we have voted is another story and confusing but we were always in favor of progressive politics. The 4th brother is not a veteran and has always been a stanch Republican. I can't call him a conservative as I see nothing conservative about him. But he calls himself a conservative, is scared to death of President Obama, thinks the Democrats are going to take away his guns, bitches constantly about his taxes although he has positioned himself in such a way to not have to pay much at all in taxes and I could go on and on about his habits of voting against his own self interests and holding attitudes contrary to well being in 2011.

His aptitude isn't up to snuff for good military service as well. People of his particular political inclination usually make poor troops, IMHO.

Psychoblues

cadet
11-02-2011, 02:19 PM
I personally have been working to get into the Air Force for a few years now. I'll be entering as a second lieutenant, and hopefully will be able to work as a medevac pilot.

I don't want to shoot people, and I think our Gov't is currently screwed up. But that doesn't mean I don't want to help save the good people of America. I hope to help them to fight another day. :salute:

Wish me luck.

ConHog
11-02-2011, 03:02 PM
I joined for the workout. True story , my best friend and I joined together to get a good summer workout. Planned on just serving our four years and out. We both ended up making a career out of it.

Love Monkey
11-02-2011, 03:12 PM
I served in the Navy for 20 years and 5 days. Woke up one morning and decided I had enough and retired. I liked it.

Gunny
11-04-2011, 07:44 PM
I served in the Navy for 20 years and 5 days. Woke up one morning and decided I had enough and retired. I liked it.

30 years and 30 days (hey, I wanted my terminal leave). I served fr something that no longer exists. I'd let Obama and those Wall Street pussies go down so fast the Flash would be impressed.

Jess
11-04-2011, 08:06 PM
It wasn't really a viable option, from my perspective. I was raised in a very sheltered environment, where girls were supposed to grow up, get married, have kids and be "good" wives.

I admire those who can and do serve.

Gunny
11-04-2011, 08:18 PM
It wasn't really a viable option, from my perspective. I was raised in a very sheltered environment, where girls were supposed to grow up, get married, have kids and be "good" wives.

I admire those who can and do serve.

Until they wake up and see what they've actually served.

Jess
11-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Until they wake up and see what they've actually served.

That is not unique to only service members. Don't many of us look back and wonder why we did what we did? Our feel we could have done things differently, better, whatever?

Gunny
11-04-2011, 08:30 PM
That is not unique to only service members. Don't many of us look back and wonder why we did what we did? Our feel we could have done things differently, better, whatever?

When the price is the same, get back to me.

Jess
11-04-2011, 08:37 PM
When the price is the same, get back to me.

I wasn't making a comparison of worth, of cost.

DragonStryk72
11-04-2011, 09:02 PM
I didn't much know what I wanted to do after high school coming into senior year. I didn't really want to go straight into college, since I didn't know what I wanted to do, and I felt that would be a huge waste of money, seeing how many of my friends kept jumping majors. I wanted to get out and see the world, but at the same time, I wanted something that felt like it served a greater purpose.

Since I loved the ocean anyway, Navy seemed like the practical fit, and I loved my time in.