PDA

View Full Version : A modest proposal

Little-Acorn
12-08-2010, 02:17 PM
A driving theme of the first American Revolution was, "Taxation without representation is tyranny!"

In that spirit, I think we can fine-tune the idea a little. Perhaps each person should be allowed to vote multiple times in each election, with the number of votes he casts, proportional to the amount of taxes he pays.

If you pay twice as much tax as I do, you should be able to vote twice as many times in the same election, as I do.

Sound reasonable?

fj1200
12-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a recipe for the third revolution of the oppressed underclass who are not given a representative voice.

revelarts
12-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Interesting,
so those who loss there jobs a couple of years ago can't vote.
those on welfare are out too I think
drugs dealers and guns runners and other under the table biz people are out,
um
Retirees would get less votes i guess.
What about those on veterans benefits , they get taxed some still.

I dunno
so the only just us working class and rich would vote?

Interesting

fj1200
12-08-2010, 02:27 PM
We could go back to representation by landed gentry.

REDWHITEBLUE2
12-08-2010, 02:32 PM
A driving theme of the first American Revolution was, "Taxation without representation is tyranny!"

In that spirit, I think we can fine-tune the idea a little. Perhaps each person should be allowed to vote multiple times in each election, with the number of votes he casts, proportional to the amount of taxes he pays.

If you pay twice as much tax as I do, you should be able to vote twice as many times in the same election, as I do.

Sound reasonable?

Only for tax Issues

Noir
12-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Sure, if you're bored with pluralist democracy, why not give elitist oligarchy a go.

Little-Acorn
12-08-2010, 03:16 PM
I dunno
so the only just us working class and rich would vote?

Interesting

Just a minute.

Are you telling me that the rich pay more taxes than I do?

So much more, that their votes would overwhelm mine???

Please inform the Democrats of this. They seem to believe the rich don't pay enough taxes.

Little-Acorn
12-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Just think of how happy all those highly-paid movie stars would be, able to vote zillions of times for the leftist of their choice. And Michael Moore. And George Soros. And OwlGore.

And Rush Limbaugh, Donald Trump, the CEOs of banks, car companies, etc.

But the point of the post was, to point out that if representation should be a necessary condition of taxation (as our forefathers said), why should MORE representation not be a necessary condition of MORE taxation?