PDA

View Full Version : Cage getting out of hand

jimnyc
05-05-2007, 04:26 AM
If you recall, this section was supposed to be a place where we move threads that have seriously degraded, and allow 'fighting' members to continue in an area without disrupting civil debates.

This is not the "taunting" area. This was never meant as a place to harass and/or call out other members. Although I've allowed it, I had hoped it would remain minimal.

Let's please try to refrain from starting threads in here, unless absolutely necessary. The board is for debating, not fighting, and there is a difference!

We can turn off thread starting, leaving members with only the ability to reply in threads that have been moved. We can make this a private forum with limited access, or I can lock it completely and just move bad threads here.

I'd rather not do any of the above, and trust members to help keep the board somewhat clean.

Thanks!

jimnyc
05-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Have fun in normal threads debating. And a little sarcasm and confrontation never hurt anyone. But all this petty bickering, threads being started to call others out, vulgarity... It's got to stop.

Steps are being taken for staff to better moderate the happenings of the board, and the rules will be updated within a few days.

It sucks that more moderation and/or rules are necessary, but leaving things up to members to decide if it's appropriate to post or not is just not working.

Mr. P
05-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Have fun in normal threads debating. And a little sarcasm and confrontation never hurt anyone. But all this petty bickering, threads being started to call others out, vulgarity... It's got to stop.

Steps are being taken for staff to better moderate the happenings of the board, and the rules will be updated within a few days.

It sucks that more moderation and/or rules are necessary, but leaving things up to members to decide if it's appropriate to post or not is just not working.

IMO you don't need more rules, JIM. Just shoot the offenders, there are only a few.

OCA
05-05-2007, 11:36 AM

I'm asked by that bastard/bitch Loose to pick a topic and start a thread to debate said topic, I do it and the pussy don't show. Jimmy you think i'm wrong for playing by the libs rules and starting that thread?

Hell no I ain't wrong!

diuretic
05-05-2007, 11:38 AM
IMO you don't need more rules, JIM. Just shoot the offenders, there are only a few.

In that case we can start with you.

diuretic
05-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm asked by that bastard/bitch Loose to pick a topic and start a thread to debate said topic, I do it and the pussy don't show. Jimmy you think i'm wrong for playing by the libs rules and starting that thread?

Hell no I ain't wrong!

Stop whining. Man up for crying out loud, you sound liike mewling teenager.

OCA
05-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Stop whining. Man up for crying out loud, you sound liike mewling teenager.

Shit! Man up? I'm holding someone responsible for their actions or inactions in this case, thats the definition of manning up.

Mr. P
05-05-2007, 11:47 AM
In that case we can start with you.

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Right.

diuretic
05-05-2007, 11:49 AM
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Right.

Why not? :lol:

Mr. P
05-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Why not? :lol:

Well, hell, start with gun laws in Aus..you couldn't shoot me if ya wanted too..:laugh2:

diuretic
05-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Well, hell, start with gun laws in Aus..you couldn't shoot me if ya wanted too..:laugh2:

Wanna bet? :lol:

Mr. P
05-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Wanna bet? :lol:

So yer gonna prove only law abiding folks follow the law?

diuretic
05-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Shit! Man up? I'm holding someone responsible for their actions or inactions in this case, thats the definition of manning up.

Bullshit. You're a whiner. Manning up is internal. Now stop being a girl.

diuretic
05-05-2007, 12:35 PM
So yer gonna prove only law abiding folks follow the law?

Er - I think it's pretty self-evident that aw abiding folks follow the law.....I'd probably file that under "self evident" and ask you, politely, what you want me to prove.

Roomy
05-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Well if the cage aint what I thought it was I am fucked up and down here:laugh2:

typomaniac
05-05-2007, 01:01 PM
This is not the "taunting" area. This was never meant as a place to harass and/or call out other members. Although I've allowed it, I had hoped it would remain minimal.

Let's please try to refrain from starting threads in here, unless absolutely necessary. The board is for debating, not fighting, and there is a difference!
Jim,

I realize that it's your board and that you can do what you want with it, but I'm surprised that you'd want to restrict the Cage so much.

True, the board is for debating and not fighting. Nevertheless, plenty of other boards have "Fight Club"-type areas like the Cage, and it doesn't seem to do the rest of the board any harm. In fact, it's a great way to blow off steam.

manu1959
05-05-2007, 01:48 PM
i agree.....i would consider not allowing threads to be opened in the steel cage....just move the crap there.....

OCA
05-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Bullshit. You're a whiner. Manning up is internal. Now stop being a girl.

Bullshit, you know nothing about manning up.

Let me ask you this, you think the mob, Cosa Nostra, mans up?

jimnyc
05-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Jim,

I realize that it's your board and that you can do what you want with it, but I'm surprised that you'd want to restrict the Cage so much.

True, the board is for debating and not fighting. Nevertheless, plenty of other boards have "Fight Club"-type areas like the Cage, and it doesn't seem to do the rest of the board any harm. In fact, it's a great way to blow off steam.

I'm all for an area with less restrictions where others can let off some steam. But just take a minute to peek at this section, and the titles alone of the threads. I guess I'm just confused as of late. Everyone wants free speech, then I have members leave because of the 'adult' nature of things. When I try to restrict things that get 'offensive', then I get lashed out at for censoring. Can't win! LOL

When this section starts to slow down the rest of the board, then we have an issue. If there was 90% friendly discussion/debate & sometimes a war in here, that's cool. But if it's 50/50 - wouldn't you agree that's a bit much?

I don't want modifications to control users. I don't want to ban users, even for 24hrs. I don't want to restrict forums.

This is where the members come in. You want things to remain laid back, less rules & more freedom - then these come with responsibility.

Don't get me wrong, I want debate and I want it to be heated at times. The fact is, controversy brings people here and makes them want to post. But there's a difference between a heated debate over the Iraq war & a heated argument over trivial personal issues between members that have never even met one another before.

Nuc
05-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Hey Jimmy, you know who the offenders are, why don't you do something about them?

Or is it technically possible to have people sign up for the Steel Cage, and if they don't it's invisible to them, thus no longer cluttering the forum and encouraging mature members from leaving the whole forum because of one stupid part?

jimnyc
05-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Hey Jimmy, you know who the offenders are, why don't you do something about them?

Or is it technically possible to have people sign up for the Steel Cage, and if they don't it's invisible to them, thus no longer cluttering the forum and encouraging mature members from leaving the whole forum because of one stupid part?

Not sure about the sign-up part but I think I'd rather leave this section accessible, so long as it's not abused.

As for the offenders, I am working on a solution. I'm willing to bet that various people have different ideas of who those offenders are! We can't very well moderate members because of who they are, but rather we should be moderating because of the posts.

It would be much easier if members would just look at the board as a whole, realize there is an entire community of people here, and have a little respect for the board as a whole. We all bicker and fight, we all get sarcastic at times and we all have our moments we'd like to take back.

The minute there are even temp bans handed out because of behavior detrimental to the board, you know the staff is going to get called bias from the get go. But we do need to reign in the total negativity as of late. Some of these feuds need to get buried and/or forgotten, and let's get back to good debates up above.

Yurt
05-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Not sure about the sign-up part but I think I'd rather leave this section accessible, so long as it's not abused.

As for the offenders, I am working on a solution. I'm willing to bet that various people have different ideas of who those offenders are! We can't very well moderate members because of who they are, but rather we should be moderating because of the posts.

It would be much easier if members would just look at the board as a whole, realize there is an entire community of people here, and have a little respect for the board as a whole. We all bicker and fight, we all get sarcastic at times and we all have our moments we'd like to take back.

The minute there are even temp bans handed out because of behavior detrimental to the board, you know the staff is going to get called bias from the get go. But we do need to reign in the total negativity as of late. Some of these feuds need to get buried and/or forgotten, and let's get back to good debates up above.

Agreed. We could make it a rule to have have a thread deragatory to any one member. However, it is difficult when a given member makes false accusations about another member's ability to debate and that accused member makes a debate thread and the accusatory member does not debate, but still bashes that other member(s) in other threads.

But I do agree, that this should not be some personal sandbox showdown. Any thoughts?

Roomy
05-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Agreed. We could make it a rule to have have a thread deragatory to any one member. However, it is difficult when a given member makes false accusations about another member's ability to debate and that accused member makes a debate thread and the accusatory member does not debate, but still bashes that other member(s) in other threads.

But I do agree, that this should not be some personal sandbox showdown. Any thoughts?

In laymans terms please:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Yurt
05-05-2007, 06:12 PM
In laymans terms please:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Why the hell must you turn this thread into what Jimmy is asking to be toned down? Are you that small? Or are you just "special?"

Roomy
05-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Why the hell must you turn this thread into what Jimmy is asking to be toned down? Are you that small? Or are you just "special?"

I only asked you to explain your bullshit written in code post.:cool:

Yurt
05-05-2007, 06:17 PM
I only asked you to explain your bullshit written in code post.:cool:

You only "think" it is bullshit because that is all your brain understands.

Roomy
05-05-2007, 06:20 PM
You only "think" it is bullshit because that is all your brain understands.

I am trying to keep it civil hear and yet you continue to provoke me.what is wrong with you man?

lily
05-05-2007, 06:55 PM

Hell no I ain't wrong!

If a liberal would have said that to a mod, much less the owner we would have been banned. I don't mean to start no shit, but I am curious, is it because you have been a member for so long?

LiberalNation
05-05-2007, 06:56 PM
He even says he get's special treatmeant. Yes any of us would have gotten a warning or even been banned. They just have their little friends here they have known for a long time like some other boards.

OCA
05-05-2007, 07:00 PM
If a liberal would have said that to a mod, much less the owner we would have been banned. I don't mean to start no shit, but I am curious, is it because you have been a member for so long?

No, you wouldn't have been banned.

I earned every advantage I get, if I get any.

typomaniac
05-05-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm all for an area with less restrictions where others can let off some steam. But just take a minute to peek at this section, and the titles alone of the threads. I guess I'm just confused as of late. Everyone wants free speech, then I have members leave because of the 'adult' nature of things. When I try to restrict things that get 'offensive', then I get lashed out at for censoring. Can't win! LOLIt's one of the old problems of politics in general: try to please everybody and you won't please anybody. :)
When this section starts to slow down the rest of the board, then we have an issue. If there was 90% friendly discussion/debate & sometimes a war in here, that's cool. But if it's 50/50 - wouldn't you agree that's a bit much?Not necessarily. If you're trying to grow the membership - and at this time I don't know if that's a high priority for you - it may become necessary to invest in more bandwidth. :dunno:
If the general understanding among the members was that one area for flames was okay as long as they played nice on the rest of the board, it might be worth supporting. Or not; just an idea.
Don't get me wrong, I want debate and I want it to be heated at times. The fact is, controversy brings people here and makes them want to post. But there's a difference between a heated debate over the Iraq war & a heated argument over trivial personal issues between members that have never even met one another before.I completely agree. One of the things that moderators are often used for is to take the trivial personal-issue threads and move them to where they belong. Should they belong somewhere other than in the bit bucket? In my experience, people can be more effective with their arguments if they can go somewhere else to bitch for a while, perhaps getting some support from those who agree with their positions, and come back to the actual debate with a clearer mind.

lily
05-05-2007, 07:22 PM
He even says he get's special treatmeant. Yes any of us would have gotten a warning or even been banned. They just have their little friends here they have known for a long time like some other boards.

Well, that happens on any forum. It is one of the advantages of being a loyal member. It doesn't bother me, I was just curious. Might be unfair, but I think loyal members should be allowed more leeway. They've "earned it".

lily
05-05-2007, 07:25 PM
No, you wouldn't have been banned.

I beg to differ.....but I'm not going to argue about it. It's not worth it and I don't want a thread started about me.

I earned every advantage I get, if I get any.

As I said in my post to Liberal, I agree loyal members do "earn" certain rights.

LiberalNation
05-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Well, that happens on any forum. It is one of the advantages of being a loyal member. It doesn't bother me, I was just curious. Might be unfair, but I think loyal members should be allowed more leeway. They've "earned it".
I don't, never will. Especially bad when the mods/admin deny it and say how unbiased and fair they are because they're really not. At least come out and admit and stop claiming how fair and unbiased ya are.

OCA
05-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I beg to differ.....but I'm not going to argue about it. It's not worth it and I don't want a thread started about me.

You've been here what, a month now? Do you feel that you have an informed opinion on this subject?

lily
05-05-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't, never will. Especially bad when the mods/admin deny it and say how unbiased and fair they are because they're really not. At least come out and admit and stop claiming how fair and unbiased ya are.

Now I never said any of that. What I said is I can understand loyal members having certain "rights".

lily
05-05-2007, 07:59 PM
You've been here what, a month now? Do you feel that you have an informed opinion on this subject?

Yes. I can say that because of the PMs I have recieved, threads I have read and bans that have been given. I may have only been here a month, but I'm a fast learner.

OCA
05-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Yes. I can say that because of the PMs I have recieved, threads I have read and bans that have been given. I may have only been here a month, but I'm a fast learner.

PM's! Are you shitting me?:laugh2:

jackass
05-05-2007, 08:30 PM

It depends who you said it to and how you said it. To Jimmy....you would not have been banned. Jim doesnt WANT to ban anyone. There have been liberlas that said ALOT worse to Jim and he hasnt banned them. Dont try and start that unfair crap.

lily
05-05-2007, 09:04 PM
PM's! Are you shitting me?:laugh2:

Not at all. I take harrasing PMs very seriously also you might want to read the rest of the sentence.

lily
05-05-2007, 09:07 PM
It depends who you said it to and how you said it. To Jimmy....you would not have been banned. Jim doesnt WANT to ban anyone. There have been liberlas that said ALOT worse to Jim and he hasnt banned them. Dont try and start that unfair crap.

I am not trying to start shit, but nice try trying to start shit.

diuretic
05-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Bullshit, you know nothing about manning up.

Let me ask you this, you think the mob, Cosa Nostra, mans up?

I know nothing about the mob so I haven't got a clue.

You know nothing about me so you haven't got a clue.

OCA
05-05-2007, 10:01 PM
You know nothing about me so you haven't got a clue.

Likewise, my point exactly.

diuretic
05-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Likewise, my point exactly.

Okay I'll play.

Show me where I proposed to "know" you where I wasn't relying on your posts.

I make a real effort to keep to the points the poster makes rather than try to construct a sort of personality for the poster. There lies the sin of projection.

OCA
05-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Okay I'll play.

Show me where I proposed to "know" you where I wasn't relying on your posts.

I make a real effort to keep to the points the poster makes rather than try to construct a sort of personality for the poster. There lies the sin of projection.

Not saying you did but I am saying there are many different takes on "manning up", I consider the mob of old(40's through 70"s) to be of high moral character, they "manned up" if you will.

diuretic
05-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Not saying you did but I am saying there are many different takes on "manning up", I consider the mob of old(40's through 70"s) to be of high moral character, they "manned up" if you will.

Okay, I was using the phrase in the contemporary sense, meaning to adopt a more rugged stance in reaction to a situation.

I can't think of the Mob as having any moral character, but that's just me. I've never admired crooks.

loosecannon
05-05-2007, 10:29 PM

well gee that would include me. High moral character (proud smiling emoticon) but then consider the source of this edict (dissappointed emoticon)

How does an obvious gaybo get to define "manning up"? Has the country gone to shit?

OCA
05-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Okay, I was using the phrase in the contemporary sense, meaning to adopt a more rugged stance in reaction to a situation.

I can't think of the Mob as having any moral character, but that's just me. I've never admired crooks.

There was a code to their illegalities, a set of rules you had to live by. They weren't like the common street hood who rapes and steals.

Samantha
05-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Perhaps the cage is a bad idea in the first place. Why not have a board that doesn't allow personal attacks at all, just political discussion?

OCA
05-05-2007, 10:31 PM
well gee that would include me. High moral character (proud smiling emoticon) but then consider the source of this edict (dissappointed emoticon)

How does an obvious gaybo get to define "manning up"? Has the country gone to shit?

Cut and run, Mr. cut and run.

Nobody pays any attention to what a yellowbellied coward has to say. Go back and find your balls.

OCA
05-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Perhaps the cage is a bad idea in the first place. Why not have a board that doesn't allow personal attacks at all, just political discussion?

You'd have zero members.

diuretic
05-05-2007, 10:53 PM
There was a code to their illegalities, a set of rules you had to live by. They weren't like the common street hood who rapes and steals.

Okay, yes, the code. I'll acknowledge that, given I've read about it. But a crime is a crime is a crime, no matter the motivation behind it. Anyway I sense we may have exhausted this topic.

loosecannon
05-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Nobody pays any attention to what a yellowbellied coward has to say.

Then you MUST be a yellow bellied coward cuz nobody gives an f what YOU have to say.

Pale Rider
05-06-2007, 02:30 AM
LOOK!!! It's half the board liberals against OCA... I guess that's fair... no wait... OCA, tie half your BRAIN behind your back to even it up... :D

jimnyc
05-06-2007, 08:03 AM

Not true. OCA tells it like it is, he didn't believe he was in the wrong, and stated as much. I would not have banned a liberal for stating that either.

Again, not true. He gets the same treatment any other long time member here receives. BTW - how do you know he didn't receive a warning via PM. Your rants about board bias are becoming tiresome. How many times do I have to ask you to leave that crap off the boards?

Thank you, and the same treatment gets extended to liberals. Look at Psychoblues - been through bans and bad blood, but stuck it out and has been around for about 3 years now. He gets 'special' treatment. I've reversed bans against him and stuck my neck out for him many times.

I'm not sure what can be done to convince you that this is just not true. But to be honest, since you refuse to listen to the rules that I politely asked you to, I'm not bothering anymore.