PDA

View Full Version : 4 Lokos or Tilt

jimnyc
12-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Anyone know of them or ever drink them? I think there might have been a discussion about it here somewhere...

They are tall canned drinks that from a distance would be comparable to a large Arizona Iced Tea - BUT - you will ONLY see these in a liquor store.

They are alcohol combined with energy drinks. I think each one is like the equivalent of 3 beers and 2 coffees (but don't quote me). So you can pound them longer as they keep you awake. Be responsible with what you drink and all will be ok, right?

Wrong, 4 Lokos quickly started getting banned and taken off the shelves everywhere because KIDS in college were OD'n on them. What if the kids all started drinking glue and OD'n - would they ban glue too?

I'm of the opinion that they should remain legal and let the "responsibility" fall to the person who CHOOSES to drink them. If someone CHOOSES to drink irresponsibly, then they suffer consequences.

jimnyc
12-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Btw - I'm going to NJ tomorrow night to visit my Dad who is in town. Since they will be off the shelves soon, I plan on drinking IRRESPONSIBLY and with reckless abandon. I'm an adult and that is MY choice! :coffee:

jimnyc
12-09-2010, 10:45 AM
That reminded me of a "chain email" I received yesterday. Not sure if anyone has ever "heard" this before, so I'm sharing for those of us who are starting to feel the pains of getting older, and to those of you who have been for quite some time! :)

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend.. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 & 70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.
I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They too, will get old. I know I am often forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver. As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore..
I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever,
but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day(if I feel like it).

Abbey Marie
12-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Anyone know of them or ever drink them? I think there might have been a discussion about it here somewhere...

They are tall canned drinks that from a distance would be comparable to a large Arizona Iced Tea - BUT - you will ONLY see these in a liquor store.

They are alcohol combined with energy drinks. I think each one is like the equivalent of 3 beers and 2 coffees (but don't quote me). So you can pound them longer as they keep you awake. Be responsible with what you drink and all will be ok, right?

Wrong, 4 Lokos quickly started getting banned and taken off the shelves everywhere because KIDS in college were OD'n on them. What if the kids all started drinking glue and OD'n - would they ban glue too?

I'm of the opinion that they should remain legal and let the "responsibility" fall to the person who CHOOSES to drink them. If someone CHOOSES to drink irresponsibly, then they suffer consequences.

Regarding the banning point, offhand I would say that as opposed to a Loko drink, glue has other purposes. :cool:

jimnyc
12-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Regarding the banning point, offhand I would say that as opposed to a Loko drink, glue has other purposes. :cool:

It does? I thought it was made for sniffers and serious drinkers? :)

My point is that they shouldn't need to dictate responsibility to adults, we SHOULD know what we are buying and know how to be responsible.

krisy
12-09-2010, 01:32 PM
From what I remember seeing on the news about these things, the problem was that the people buying them were not aware of the levels of alcohol in ONE can,and the appearance of the can was a problem. Not sure about banning them,but who would guess there would be three beers worth of alcohol in one of these things?

I personally hate those energy drinks. I have had more than one argument with my son over Monster.

Trinity
12-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Well up until last weekend I drank 4 loco all the time, however I am an adult, I know my limits and 2 is all I need. Of course I also drink them over a period of about 4 or 5 hours too, they are not something you want to down quickly. And yes I am pissed that they pulled them, they are no different then buying a bottle of vodka and mixing it with an energy drink.

Underage college kids have been drinking since there have been underage college kids, this is not going to stop them from drinking they will just find something else to drink.

Oh and by the way Tilt is nasty, Joose is better..:cool:

jimnyc
12-11-2010, 10:52 AM
From what I remember seeing on the news about these things, the problem was that the people buying them were not aware of the levels of alcohol in ONE can,and the appearance of the can was a problem. Not sure about banning them,but who would guess there would be three beers worth of alcohol in one of these things?

I personally hate those energy drinks. I have had more than one argument with my son over Monster.

Well, they don't go crazy warning purchasers about the amounts - BUT, they do have the SAME notifications on every can - which is the alcohol percentages and caffeine percentages. And at least where I buy/bought mine -there were HUGE signs around trying to advertise it, and in those advertisements they described it in very good detail.

Speaking about the college kids who "OD'd" = I'll pretty much guarantee that the overwhelming majority of them knew EXACTLY what they were buying and drinking, they just weren't responsible to know when to stop.

Well up until last weekend I drank 4 loco all the time, however I am an adult, I know my limits and 2 is all I need. Of course I also drink them over a period of about 4 or 5 hours too, they are not something you want to down quickly. And yes I am pissed that they pulled them, they are no different then buying a bottle of vodka and mixing it with an energy drink.

Underage college kids have been drinking since there have been underage college kids, this is not going to stop them from drinking they will just find something else to drink.

Oh and by the way Tilt is nasty, Joose is better..:cool:

I had only 2 Tilts last night as they aren't as good as the Loko's and were too sugary this time. But that was 6 beers and a shitload of energy! I then switched over to Grey Goose mixed with Red Bull - which is the same idea and will remain legal long after the others get banned.

But agreed, no more Tilts for me, and Lokos are gone - so I guess I'll have to stick to shots with Red Bull. But honestly, I drink SO rarely that it's all a moot point anyway. I drink like 4 times per year if I'm lucky, pretty much only when I visit friends/relatives in NJ.

Trinity
12-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Well, they don't go crazy warning purchasers about the amounts - BUT, they do have the SAME notifications on every can - which is the alcohol percentages and caffeine percentages. And at least where I buy/bought mine -there were HUGE signs around trying to advertise it, and in those advertisements they described it in very good detail.

Speaking about the college kids who "OD'd" = I'll pretty much guarantee that the overwhelming majority of them knew EXACTLY what they were buying and drinking, they just weren't responsible to know when to stop.

I had only 2 Tilts last night as they aren't as good as the Loko's and were too sugary this time. But that was 6 beers and a shitload of energy! I then switched over to Grey Goose mixed with Red Bull - which is the same idea and will remain legal long after the others get banned.

But agreed, no more Tilts for me, and Lokos are gone - so I guess I'll have to stick to shots with Red Bull. But honestly, I drink SO rarely that it's all a moot point anyway. I drink like 4 times per year if I'm lucky, pretty much only when I visit friends/relatives in NJ.

lol that's what I'm drinking tonight cherry vodka and red bull on ice, no shots for me please. :beer:

KitchenKitten99
12-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Kids have died from this stuff because they don't realize the alcohol content is so high and they drink several in a row. There have been stories of college kids beer-bong chugging this stuff too.

Four Loko mock ad... Funny! The first couple 'comparisons' are actually somewhat true... alcohol content is equal to 4 cans of beer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJyaACQaLYQ

jimnyc
12-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Kids have died from this stuff because they don't realize the alcohol content is so high and they drink several in a row. There have been stories of college kids beer-bong chugging this stuff too.

Yep, they went and ruined it for everyone by chugging through beer bongs and playing other dumb games, and not calculating what is clearly stated on the front of the can, the same as every other alcoholic beverage you buy. Ever buy whiskey/liquor and stuck between 3000 different types? I go down the line and look at the alcohol percentage and just buy the strongest one. But I'm not dumb enough to go home and fill a damn beer bong with that stuff!! LOL