PDA

View Full Version : Vandals cut down Holy Thorn Tree of Glastonbury

SassyLady
12-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Unbelievable!

'Vandals have hacked at the heart of Christianity':

2,000-year-old Holy Thorn Tree of Glastonbury is cut down
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER Last updated at 4:40 PM on 9th December 2010

Vandals have destroyed one of the most celebrated Christian pilgrimage sites in Britain and chopped down a tree said to have sprouted from the staff of Joseph of Arimathea 2,000 years ago.
The Holy Thorn Tree of Glastonbury, Somerset, is visited by thousands every year to pay homage and leave tokens of worship. Those visiting today were moved to tears on finding the tree cut to a stump.

The sacred tree is unique in that it blossoms twice a year - at Christmas and Easter - and sprigs taken from the thorn are sent to The Queen each year for the festive table.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337159/Glastonburys-2000-year-old-Holy-Thorn-Tree-hacked-vandals.html#ixzz17ehbmNZt

Pagan
12-09-2010, 06:57 PM
As the saying goes -

I love mankind but people suck

Mr. P
12-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Ahhhh the peace and tranquility of liberals enraged cuz they gotta pay for what they buy.

Pay attention AMERICA

Noir
12-10-2010, 06:03 AM
=/
Joseph was a long way from Arimathea when he was gardening in Glastonbury

Kathianne
12-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Ahhhh the peace and tranquility of liberals enraged cuz they gotta pay for what they buy.

Pay attention AMERICA

I assume you are referring to the topic of this story?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337088/TUITION-FEES-VOTE-PROTEST-Charles-Camillas-car-attacked-thousands-students-descend-Parliament.html

Pure terror in her eyes: Charles and Camilla surrounded by baying tuition fees mob who attacked their car screaming 'Off with their heads'

By Tim Shipman and Gerri Peev
Last updated at 10:35 AM on 10th December 2010

With terror written across her face, the Duchess of Cornwall comes under fire from a snarling mob of student fees rioters last night.

In the worst royal security breach for a generation, the car carrying her and Prince Charles was kicked, rocked and hit with paint bombs.

A ‘steaming gang’ of masked protesters ambushed them as they were being driven to the Royal Variety Performance at the London Palladium, raising echoes of the 1974 kidnap attempt on Princess Anne.

Mr. P
12-10-2010, 12:06 PM
I assume you are referring to the topic of this story?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337088/TUITION-FEES-VOTE-PROTEST-Charles-Camillas-car-attacked-thousands-students-descend-Parliament.html
Yes

Trigg
12-10-2010, 08:33 PM
=/
Joseph was a long way from Arimathea when he was gardening in Glastonbury

vandalism none the less

Noir
12-11-2010, 02:14 AM
vandalism none the less

Yeah, I'm not for trees being cut down, but as far as people getting anoyyed because they think its a holy christian tree, its not, it is just a tree, if the local Christians were thinking of it as more than just a tree then the vandals have probably done them some good by forcing them to stop worshiping a false idle. Don't ya think?

SassyLady
12-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Yeah, I'm not for trees being cut down, but as far as people getting anoyyed because they think its a holy christian tree, its not, it is just a tree, if the local Christians were thinking of it as more than just a tree then the vandals have probably done them some good by forcing them to stop worshiping a false idle. Don't ya think?

Is there anything you respect or cherish, Noir?

Noir
12-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Is there anything you respect or cherish, Noir?

Like I said I don't think the tree should of been cut down. But if some people were attaching godly significance to it then they where worshiping a false idle, would you not agree?

Now they have every right to worship a tree if they wish, but it's a bit daft to call themselves christians in the process IMO.

NightTrain
12-11-2010, 03:15 AM
Like I said I don't think the tree should of been cut down. But if some people were attaching godly significance to it then they where worshiping a false idle, would you not agree?

Now they have every right to worship a tree if they wish, but it's a bit daft to call themselves christians in the process IMO.

Just a quick aside, it's spelled 'Idol'.

Carry on.

Noir
12-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Just a quick aside, it's spelled 'Idol'.

Carry on.

Bloody words and their bloody sounds xD
Cheers.

NightTrain
12-11-2010, 03:21 AM
Bloody words and their bloody sounds xD
Cheers.

:beer:

SassyLady
12-11-2010, 03:50 AM

I don't think they worshipped it as an idol....but as a representation of the time it was put there and the amount of time it had survived and been a part of that community.....as a piece of history or art.

What would you think if vandals came along and took Big Ben down to the ground and it existed no more?

Still haven't answered question ... is there anything you respect or cherish?

Noir
12-11-2010, 03:58 AM
I don't think they worshipped it as an idol....but as a representation of the time it was put there and the amount of time it had survived and been a part of that community.....as a piece of history or art.

What would you think if vandals came along and took Big Ben down to the ground and it existed no more?

Still haven't answered question ... is there anything you respect or cherish?

If people morn it's loss, fair enough, but when the reason for the sorrow is because it's 'holy' I have to question their mindset.

Again I wouldn't want to see big Ben torn down, but if it was I wouldn't cry for it. Atleast the tree was alive, inwhich case I can understand this who feel they have connections with Gaia etc would be truly upset (as apose to big Ben that's just stone and wood)

And yes I respect and cherish plently, and don't pretend that you think I don't.

SassyLady
12-11-2010, 04:09 AM
If people morn it's loss, fair enough, but when the reason for the sorrow is because it's 'holy' I have to question their mindset.

Again I wouldn't want to see big Ben torn down, but if it was I wouldn't cry for it. Atleast the tree was alive, inwhich case I can understand this who feel they have connections with Gaia etc would be truly upset (as apose to big Ben that's just stone and wood)

And yes I respect and cherish plently, and don't pretend that you think I don't.

Yes you do, and I do so hope that no one every damages that which you cherish and respect.

I may not agree with what people cherish, but I respect their right to cherish it.

Noir
12-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Yes you do, and I do so hope that no one every damages that which you cherish and respect.

I may not agree with what people cherish, but I respect their right to cherish it.

Indeed, some tree is cut down (that people *cherish* because of whatever iron age myth they believe) and I'm meant to respect that, however, I'm sure most of those sad lil christians don't give two tosses about the fact that the newspaper they're reading this morning was made from wood pulp from trees thousands of miles away that are being torn down in their thousands. And no, these trees may no be *holy* or of been planted by the stick of some jew, but they are the homes of actual real people and animals, that actually really exist. What respect have the glastonbury Christians for them? Or are they too wrapped up in there own self importance to even consider them?

Gaffer
12-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Indeed, some tree is cut down (that people *cherish* because of whatever iron age myth they believe) and I'm meant to respect that, however, I'm sure most of those sad lil christians don't give two tosses about the fact that the newspaper they're reading this morning was made from wood pulp from trees thousands of miles away that are being torn down in their thousands. And no, these trees may no be *holy* or of been planted by the stick of some jew, but they are the homes of actual real people and animals, that actually really exist. What respect have the glastonbury Christians for them? Or are they too wrapped up in there own self importance to even consider them?

I don't know about your part of the world but over here the only people that live in trees are the moonbats in calif near berkley. Sassy can tell you about them. Trees are cut down for wood. They are harvested like other crops. They just take much longer to grow. What respect do you have for an ear of corn? Are you too wrapped up in self importance to consider it? It's a plant.

The tree was just a tree but it had sentimental value to folks around there. Your avatar was drawn on a piece of paper. It's just paper from a tree. But the picture on the paper has sentimental value to you. If someone crunches it up and throws it on the floor you would feel bad cause it came from a friend. But did you think about the tree that paper came from?

Noir
12-11-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't know about your part of the world but over here the only people that live in trees are the moonbats in calif near berkley. Sassy can tell you about them. Trees are cut down for wood. They are harvested like other crops. They just take much longer to grow. What respect do you have for an ear of corn? Are you too wrapped up in self importance to consider it? It's a plant.

The tree was just a tree but it had sentimental value to folks around there. Your avatar was drawn on a piece of paper. It's just paper from a tree. But the picture on the paper has sentimental value to you. If someone crunches it up and throws it on the floor you would feel bad cause it came from a friend. But did you think about the tree that paper came from?

...I would hope you knew what I mean, people don't live *in* the trees as such but they provide their livelihood and so forth.

As for the last bit, I've said before many times, I leave symbols to the symbol minded, should you want to rip up a drawing I own or set my countries flag on fire or throw some books I've been given as gifts in a river if you like.

Because their value is not physical, you can not destroy them by physical means, for example, my drawing, the sentimental value is not held within the drawing itself, but by the knowledge that someone spontaneously took time out of their life to make that for me, and whatever happens to the piece of paper I won't forget that. And that is not something you can rip, burn or toss off a bridge. Sentiment is thought, and thoughts are eternal*

*note, not strictly true as ofcourse people can get alzheimer's and suffer from memory loss, or they can get alzheimer's and suffer from memory loss.

SassyLady
12-11-2010, 02:44 PM
...I would hope you knew what I mean, people don't live *in* the trees as such but they provide their livelihood and so forth.

As for the last bit, I've said before many times, I leave symbols to the symbol minded, should you want to rip up a drawing I own or set my countries flag on fire or throw some books I've been given as gifts in a river if you like.

Because their value is not physical, you can not destroy them by physical means, for example, my drawing, the sentimental value is not held within the drawing itself, but by the knowledge that someone spontaneously took time out of their life to make that for me, and whatever happens to the piece of paper I won't forget that. And that is not something you can rip, burn or toss off a bridge. Sentiment is thought, and thoughts are eternal*

*note, not strictly true as ofcourse people can get alzheimer's and suffer from memory loss, or they can get alzheimer's and suffer from memory loss.

And your children and grandchildren will never have the joy of seeing the drawing because some vandal decided it had no physical value.

Noir, would you advocate the burning of all books, videos, artwork, recordings .... after all, once they've been experienced the imagery remains in the mind ... so why keep the physical aspect around at all. You've got your moment of joy from it ... why preserve it for anyone else?

Noir
12-11-2010, 03:46 PM
And your children and grandchildren will never have the joy of seeing the drawing because some vandal decided it had no physical value.

I think they'd be able to get by,

Noir, would you advocate the burning of all books, videos, artwork, recordings .... after all, once they've been experienced the imagery remains in the mind ... so why keep the physical aspect around at all. You've got your moment of joy from it ... why preserve it for anyone else?

Yes. That's exactly what I think should happen, I think when I said in this few times I have said in this thread (as i have a few times) what I really meant was 'gather all items of importance and burn them all' =/ srsly sassy...

SassyLady
12-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I think they'd be able to get by,

Yes. That's exactly what I think should happen, I think when I said in this few times I have said in this thread (as i have a few times) what I really meant was 'gather all items of importance and burn them all' =/ srsly sassy...

But you are, Noir .... you are saying that one shouldn't get sentimental over an object ..... especially if it's an object that brings joy, pride and memories to an individual or a group .... and I believe that people on this board believe that you have no reverence or pride in/for anything.....so why shouldn't we question that you would have no reverence for books, or movies, or artwork?

Noir
12-11-2010, 05:40 PM
But you are, Noir .... you are saying that one shouldn't get sentimental over an object ..... especially if it's an object that brings joy, pride and memories to an individual or a group .... and I believe that people on this board believe that you have no reverence or pride in/for anything.....so why shouldn't we question that you would have no reverence for books, or movies, or artwork?

=/

Think about the word you used. 'Advocate'. "Noir, would you advocate..." even after (and I'll say it again) I said the tree should not of been cut down. I certainly do not advocate such things, all I'm all I'm saying is that if something is done there's no point in crying over spilt milk. It's nice to have things, things that mean stuff, but there is so much more to a thing than the thing itself, I'm sure you'd agree, and should that thing not exist anymore, that's a shame, but life goes on.

As for thinking I have no pride etc in anying, I don't care, think whatever you will, because I know you're wrong, and I'd be surprised if you didn't think what you were saying is nonsense, even if you can try and link it logically in this thread, youre barking up the wrong tree love.

Pagan
12-11-2010, 07:16 PM
=/

Think about the word you used. 'Advocate'. "Noir, would you advocate..." even after (and I'll say it again) I said the tree should not of been cut down. I certainly do not advocate such things, all I'm all I'm saying is that if something is done there's no point in crying over spilt milk. It's nice to have things, things that mean stuff, but there is so much more to a thing than the thing itself, I'm sure you'd agree, and should that thing not exist anymore, that's a shame, but life goes on.

As for thinking I have no pride etc in anying, I don't care, think whatever you will, because I know you're wrong, and I'd be surprised if you didn't think what you were saying is nonsense, even if you can try and link it logically in this thread, youre barking up the wrong tree love.

'bout one of the funniest sites I've ever come across -

http://www.getbehindjesus.net/
http://www.getbehindjesus.net/jesuspics/angusassjesus.gif

jimnyc
12-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Would you find it equally as funny if someone posted a monkeys ass and said it reminded them of a Peruvian woman? Or is it only funny when poking at Catholics and/or Jesus?

SassyLady
12-11-2010, 07:57 PM
=/

My apologies, Noir ... I should not have used the word advocate. I know that you are pretty passive about these things ... and wouldn't egg anyone on to vandalize anything.

As for life going on....yes it does....and when all the beautiful things in life have been vandalized because no one wanted to take a stand and say ...."Hey, stop that!" there will eventually be less works of art (books, artwork, music, trees, etc.) to admire and enjoy.

I've lived in my house for over 17 years ... my persimmon tree (which was the focal point of our yard and family gatherings) died this year. Does the yard look different? Yes. Does it look better now that we've cut it down? At times. Is the yard cleaner at this time of year because there is no rotting fruit or leaves? Yes! Oh, but I do miss the shade it provided; the birds that would visit and live in the tree; and I also miss not being able to put our Christmas lights up which used to welcome visitors driving down the driveway.

Does life go on? Yes, of course....but just not as special as it was before.

Pagan
12-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Would you find it equally as funny if someone posted a monkeys ass and said it reminded them of a Peruvian woman? Or is it only funny when poking at Catholics and/or Jesus?

I laugh at it the same as I laugh at the cartoons bashing Mohammed/Islam.

http://www.angelfire.com/nm2/chainreaction/Muslims/CamelMohamAss.jpg

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1889051/posts