PDA

View Full Version : Memory upgrade

Mr. P
12-11-2010, 04:52 PM
So, since I lost some RAM in my laptop. I decided to look for more and thought I'd go 1Gig. But now I keep reading this machine has a RAM limit of 512. Do any of you know if that limit can be exceeded and work? I'm thinking not, but really donno.

Pagan
12-11-2010, 04:57 PM
So, since I lost some RAM in my laptop. I decided to look for more and thought I'd go 1Gig. But now I keep reading this machine has a RAM limit of 512. Do any of you know if that limit can be exceeded and work? I'm thinking not, but really donno.

If there is a hardware limit of 512 you're outta luck.

BTW I'd check though, 512 limit I haven't seen since the late 90's.

Mr. P
12-11-2010, 05:06 PM
If there is a hardware limit of 512 you're outta luck.

BTW I'd check though, 512 limit I haven't seen since the late 90's.
Thanks..

It is 10 yrs old. Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop. I'll keep it tickin at the right price if possible but it may be new puter time.

Pagan
12-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks..

It is 10 yrs old. Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop. I'll keep it tickin at the right price if possible but it may be new puter time.

Something that old even if you could upgrade the ram, for the cost it really isn't worth it. You can find some decent deals for Lappy's well under $500.

Example -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200077

Shop around, also for what it's worth here is my two bits

Get a good Netbook, light, portable and pretty cheap. The put the money into a good Desktop, more bang for the buck and you can update the components easily and cheap.

Results?
You've got a good desktop that is powerful and very flexable for 1/2 the cost of a Laptop. Then the Netbook is small, light and very portable, very easy to just whip out when you're mobile.

BoogyMan
12-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks..

What is the Dell service tag number on the machine? You can lookup specifics on the unit with that number.

Mr. P
12-11-2010, 10:30 PM
What is the Dell service tag number on the machine? You can lookup specifics on the unit with that number.
I forgot about that tag, Thanks. I'll look at it when I shutdown tonight. IF it's still legible that'll help. :thumb:

NightTrain
12-12-2010, 12:34 AM
You might want to consider just upgrading your whole machine, Mr. P.

I've done it a dozen times, it's very easy and it's cheaper than buying a new machine outright.

You can buy a new motherboard and processor (you can even find these in a package deal), hard drive (1 terrabyte is cheap) and get at least 4 gigs of RAM.

Bolt that motherboard in your tower, snap your processor in, mount your new hard drive in the Primary position and take your existing hard drive to the Slave position (this way you don't lose any data and can pull your existing data onto your new hard drive).

Snap your sticks of RAM in.

You might as well get a new power supply, too. When those die, they can blow up motherboards - I've had it happen. Be sure it exceeds your power requirements for all your hardware.

You don't strike me as a gamer, but getting at least a middle-of-the road video card will speed things up. I just got a Ge-Force 220 for $80 a couple weeks ago, its got it's own processor and 1 gig of RAM all on the vid card.

Oh yeah - and keep yourself grounded with a wrist strap connected to the chassis of your tower whilst doing it. Static electricity and delicate electronic components don't play nicely together sometimes.

Get all name-brand stuff. Saving $20 on a piece of hardware with brand X isn't worth it. I've been burned more than once on that and kicked myself in the ass afterward.

You should be able to get a very nice machine for easily under $500. Getting away from Dell components (and HP, Compaq, etc) gives you lots more options for upgrading your machine in the future.

Any of the big computer chains should have a department dedicated to the do-it-yourself guy and the employees in these departments are usually very knowledgeable about projects like this.

NightTrain
12-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Oh yeah, and get Win7 for that new machine!

NightTrain
12-12-2010, 12:42 AM

You won't know until you look inside it, but it sounds like you have 2 sticks of 256. I'm not positive (because it's a Dell and they like to do things differently) but you should be able to get a couple sticks of 1-gig per stick that fit into the slots where your old stuff is.

Unless it's a real old board and they don't make RAM to fit that style anymore.

abso
12-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks..

The Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop is based on the Intel 815 chipset, which only supports 512 MB Ram, so yes you are right, you cant put more Ram in that laptop, the limit cannot be exceeded, its not like the processor that can be over clocked with proper cooling, the Ram limit can never be exceeded, and anymore Ram will not be readable or useable, it will just be a waste of money, of course there is no need for going into the technical details of why your machine wont accept more Ram ;).

I suggest buying new laptop, its better than upgrading your old one.

NightTrain
12-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Oh, I missed the part where you said it was a laptop... disregard everything I said, Mr. P!

I'll take 'Reading Comprehension' for a thousand, Alex!

I'd just buy a new laptop. I personally think HP is the way to go, I really like mine.

3 words about laptop warranty and extended warranty:

Worth. Every. Penny.

abso
12-19-2010, 02:35 PM
I also suggest HP
specially:

HP Envy 14-1199ee
US $ 2163

HP dv6-3175ee
US $ 1658

HP dv6-3190ee (I will buy this one soon)
US $ 1372

HP dv6-3135ee
US $ 683

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/me/en/ho/WF25a/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-4247579.html

Mr. P
01-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Well it turns out 512 is the max for this puter. New is in the near future but not a priority right now, so for $18 I got two new 256 sticks.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :thumb:

NightTrain
01-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Well it turns out 512 is the max for this puter. New is in the near future but not a priority right now, so for $18 I got two new 256 sticks.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :thumb:

Are you going to install them yourself or have someone do it?

Mr. P
01-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Are you going to install them yourself or have someone do it?
I did it on Christmas eve..it's simple.