PDA

View Full Version : Red White an Blue..Fish?

Mr. P
12-12-2010, 01:24 AM
Some pics my daughter took with her phone at the Atlanta Aquarium Saturday.

I have no idea what this fish is called. It looks like a flag to me.
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3623/redwhiteblue.jpg (http://img153.imageshack.us/i/redwhiteblue.jpg/)

Whale shark
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8579/whaleshark.jpg (http://img80.imageshack.us/i/whaleshark.jpg/)

Some sort of Jelly Fish
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1669/jellyfisht.jpg (http://img823.imageshack.us/i/jellyfisht.jpg/)

(http://imageshack.us)

SassyLady
12-12-2010, 01:44 AM
Cool pics..looks like a flag to me too!! Or candy canes!

NightTrain
12-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Some pics my daughter took with her phone at the Atlanta Aquarium Saturday.

I have no idea what this fish is called. It looks like a flag to me.
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3623/redwhiteblue.jpg (http://img153.imageshack.us/i/redwhiteblue.jpg/)

That really is a beautiful fish, I agree about it looking like the American Flag.

I think I found it, Mr. P.: P. volitans Lionfish

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/

Mr. P
12-12-2010, 11:43 AM
That really is a beautiful fish, I agree about it looking like the American Flag.

I think I found it, Mr. P.: P. volitans Lionfish

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/
I think you're right...I've always heard the lion fish is a bad mo-fo.

jimnyc
12-12-2010, 12:25 PM
I think you're right...I've always heard the lion fish is a bad mo-fo.

IT IS!! And not only that, those fish are expensive as hell!! Fish like those run anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a salt water aquarium. They are awesome looking though.

Kathianne
12-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Am I the only one who gets creeped out at aquariums? Ever since I was a kid...

Mr. P
12-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Am I the only one who gets creeped out at aquariums? Ever since I was a kid...
Well, it always occurs to me while standing in front of one of the great expanses of glass.."if it breaks we're toast". Does that count?

KarlMarx
12-12-2010, 01:49 PM
one fish
two fish
red fish
blue fish
black fish
blue fish
old fish
new fish
some are red and some are blue.
some are old and some are new.
some are sad and some are glad.
And some are very, very bad.

SassyLady
12-12-2010, 02:10 PM
So I took a stroll through the website NT posted and one of the blurbs was about what happens when the Lionfish stings you ..... it is recommended that you put your hand in the hottest water you can tolerate ... or turn a hair dryer on the area where the stinger went in. The heat will break down the toxin and keep it from spreading through your system.

The guy said the first time he was stung (stung 3 times over the last 12 years I think) he went to hospital .... the doctor had never heard of a Lionfish and did not know what to do to treat it....so they treated it like a bee sting. The guy said he was sick for three days .... just incredible pain. So the next time, after researching, he knew about the heat.

Also said that they aren't really aggressive, but that when startled (which usually happens when someone is cleaning the tank) they react swiftly.

So, beautiful but use caution.

Kathianne
12-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Well, it always occurs to me while standing in front of one of the great expanses of glass.."if it breaks we're toast". Does that count?

Mine's weirder, 'Why are all the fish staring at ME with their terrible, unblinking eye?' I'm not normally paranoid. :laugh2:

NightTrain
12-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Mine's weirder, 'Why are all the fish staring at ME with their terrible, unblinking eye?' I'm not normally paranoid. :laugh2:

Fish staring at me don't bother me. Maybe because I've killed many thousands of them.

Looking into a snake's eyes is what gives me the heebie jeebies. Yeeeeccchhhh!

Kathianne
12-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Fish staring at me don't bother me. Maybe because I've killed many thousands of them.

Looking into a snake's eyes is what gives me the heebie jeebies. Yeeeeccchhhh!

Eeek, don't get me started on reptiles or rodents or spiders. :laugh2: I'm definitely not a camping girl. ;)

SassyLady
12-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Eeek, don't get me started on reptiles or rodents or spiders. :laugh2: I'm definitely not a camping girl. ;)

I used to have a phobia about snakes ..... had a few run-ins with rattlesnakes in my youth. Chased by a sidewinder before I was five and grandma killed it with a hoe ... never forget that one. As a teen I was floating on a lake when a rattlesnake swam up and tried to get on. I jumped off and swam to our boat and the thing wanted to get in the boat. I guess the rapid rising level of the lake was flushing out a lot of snakes that year.

Was sitting in my garden about 15 years ago and a little garter snake was crawling through ... saw him in the periphery and reached out and cut him half with my trowel.....and then got up and ran screaming in the house. Didn't go back in the garden for a week....finally went out there and he was stinky!!! Hubby was on some military training thing and when he got home I told him what happened. He said that the snake keeps the bugs away and would not hurt me.

Then, when we were building the house we were moving large amount of dirt to build the foundation and dug up a snakes nest. We tried to relocate it because it was a gopher snake nest ... and I've learned the hard way that having those snakes around, or king snakes, are extremely beneficial. They keep the gophers and mole population in control. Well, guess what, we now have a huge gopher/mole problem. I've only seen a couple of them in the last 4-5 years. Hope they repopulate soon.

And, my grandkids find a garter snake every year that they need to bring in and show me. So....I don't kill the snakes any more, and I don't run screaming when I see one, but I can't touch them .... still freak me out that the kids are OK with it.

As for the rodents and spiders .... we throw away about 1 rat per week around here. We've got bait stations all over the place.....and spiders are abundant.....country living....love it!!!

NightTrain
12-12-2010, 03:27 PM
I think I developed my snake phobia when I was 8 years old in Colorado. I spotted a hole in an old rotten tree stump, so naturally I had to go check it out. I put my face up to the hole and peered inside, and about 8" from my nose was a huge rattlesnake head looking at me. I scampered back in horror, and I've never been okay with them since.

There's no snakes in Alaska. About the only wildlife that will bite you here are bears, and a .44 or .375 makes short work of those. And the eyes don't creep me out.

Kathianne
12-12-2010, 03:33 PM
I used to have a phobia about snakes ..... had a few run-ins with rattlesnakes in my youth. Chased by a sidewinder before I was five and grandma killed it with a hoe ... never forget that one. As a teen I was floating on a lake when a rattlesnake swam up and tried to get on. I jumped off and swam to our boat and the thing wanted to get in the boat. I guess the rapid rising level of the lake was flushing out a lot of snakes that year.

Was sitting in my garden about 15 years ago and a little garter snake was crawling through ... saw him in the periphery and reached out and cut him half with my trowel.....and then got up and ran screaming in the house. Didn't go back in the garden for a week....finally went out there and he was stinky!!! Hubby was on some military training thing and when he got home I told him what happened. He said that the snake keeps the bugs away and would not hurt me.

Then, when we were building the house we were moving large amount of dirt to build the foundation and dug up a snakes nest. We tried to relocate it because it was a gopher snake nest ... and I've learned the hard way that having those snakes around, or king snakes, are extremely beneficial. They keep the gophers and mole population in control. Well, guess what, we now have a huge gopher/mole problem. I've only seen a couple of them in the last 4-5 years. Hope they repopulate soon.

And, my grandkids find a garter snake every year that they need to bring in and show me. So....I don't kill the snakes any more, and I don't run screaming when I see one, but I can't touch them .... still freak me out that the kids are OK with it.

As for the rodents and spiders .... we throw away about 1 rat per week around here. We've got bait stations all over the place.....and spiders are abundant.....country living....love it!!!

I admire you! Good thing about Great Lakes, while we definitely have goofy weather, few big animals or poisonous vermin. LOL! Spiders are everywhere, they must be related to cockroaches. However, the poisonous ones are in short supply, tg. Snakes? Just garners and just in fields. Never seen one by the house.

Rats? Only in city, probably because they have so much to choose from there. We have the country mice, which still terrify me! None in this house, again tg, in the 14 years I've lived here.

Now, if they could do something about the moths! ;)

SassyLady
12-12-2010, 06:05 PM
I admire you! Good thing about Great Lakes, while we definitely have goofy weather, few big animals or poisonous vermin. LOL! Spiders are everywhere, they must be related to cockroaches. However, the poisonous ones are in short supply, tg. Snakes? Just garners and just in fields. Never seen one by the house.

Rats? Only in city, probably because they have so much to choose from there. We have the country mice, which still terrify me! None in this house, again tg, in the 14 years I've lived here.

Now, if they could do something about the moths! ;)

Yep ... rats.....we have a grove of walnut trees and when the nuts start falling they compete with the squirrels. Plus, our neighbor doesn't keep his grass mowed down and it gives them plenty of cover. They're not as bad as when we first moved out here ... we've learned to get the nuts up and stored rather than leaving them on ground to dry out and ripen. And, the bait stations help....if the bait disappears frequently you know you got a rat problem and will probably find one around the property somewhere.

Never seen mice around here ... I think the feral cats, owls and hawks keep the mice population in control.

Lately, we've been dealing with coyotes...afraid to let my schnauzer out when they are on the prowl.

Kathianne
12-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Yep ... rats.....we have a grove of walnut trees and when the nuts start falling they compete with the squirrels. Plus, our neighbor doesn't keep his grass mowed down and it gives them plenty of cover. They're not as bad as when we first moved out here ... we've learned to get the nuts up and stored rather than leaving them on ground to dry out and ripen. And, the bait stations help....if the bait disappears frequently you know you got a rat problem and will probably find one around the property somewhere.

Never seen mice around here ... I think the feral cats, owls and hawks keep the mice population in control.

Lately, we've been dealing with coyotes...afraid to let my schnauzer out when they are on the prowl.

Oh we have had the coyotes too! Finally animal control is addressing them, until recently it was 'part of nature.' Then they started attacking dogs and even small children.

SassyLady
12-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Oh we have had the coyotes too! Finally animal control is addressing them, until recently it was 'part of nature.' Then they started attacking dogs and even small children.

:scared:

Kathianne
12-13-2010, 12:56 AM
:scared:

Indeed scary. Some of the problems from living in a huge urban-exurban area has been the changes made environmentally over time. Animals that were indigenous to the area years ago, left or were killed off. The animal rights movement in many cases has led to some attempts to reintroduce or stop control measures of the animals, leading to unintended consequences worse than the original ones. Coyotes being one example. There's also the over populations of deer and now foxes. Canadian geese created serious health concerns and is another animal now being aggressively targeted towards containment.

SassyLady
12-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Indeed scary. Some of the problems from living in a huge urban-exurban area has been the changes made environmentally over time. Animals that were indigenous to the area years ago, left or were killed off. The animal rights movement in many cases has led to some attempts to reintroduce or stop control measures of the animals, leading to unintended consequences worse than the original ones. Coyotes being one example. There's also the over populations of deer and now foxes. Canadian geese created serious health concerns and is another animal now being aggressively targeted towards containment.

We have raccoons, opposums, coyotes, foxes, hawks ... pretty much all of these .... but in Tucson, at my daughter's house ... they have wild pigs (havelinas) and bobcats walking right through the yard .... up on the top of the fence and teasing the dogs....and coyotes...and this doesn't county the occasional rattler that gets in the yard. A good friend of hers lost her dog to rattlesnake bite.

For me, the scariest thing about living out here are the crazys who shoot at something not realizing if the bullet doesn't find it's mark, it could hit something else....like an animal we want to keep, or a person.

My thing right now is getting up every morning and taking shots at the woodpeckers .... they are on the house, the pavillion, the barn, the trees.....boy, do they scatter when they are on the barn or pavillion ... metal roof and I just need to ping the roof and they scatter like crazy.

I don't think I'll ever have an aquarium though....they are nice and relaxing but expensive and time consuming to keep clean. Our newest addition to the yard are hummingbirds....going to see if they stay all winter. Looking for ways to keep their nectar from freezing. Thinking of putting a clip on light that provides a little warmth.