PDA

View Full Version : suing anything that moves

cadet
12-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Ever notice how often people are in court? If you get hurt, suddenly you need a lawsuit. If somebody calls you a name, it's slander and they need to pay in court.:lame2:
Now, honestly, what the heck is wrong with people in today's world? I just don't understand the people that have the pholocify "if it breaths, sue it." :poke:
personally, I think that there should be a law that prohibits someone from making a stupid court case. Something that would go as follows;
"If the jury decides the case can be finished without the ruling of the court, the case can be ignored."
Or heck, give people only so many court cases for their entire life, that'll make them not want to waste any of them on stupid things.

Mr. P
12-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Ever notice how often people are in court? If you get hurt, suddenly you need a lawsuit. If somebody calls you a name, it's slander and they need to pay in court.:lame2:
Now, honestly, what the heck is wrong with people in today's world? I just don't understand the people that have the pholocify "if it breaths, sue it." :poke:
personally, I think that there should be a law that prohibits someone from making a stupid court case. Something that would go as follows;
"If the jury decides the case can be finished without the ruling of the court, the case can be ignored."
Or heck, give people only so many court cases for their entire life, that'll make them not want to waste any of them on stupid things.
A simple "loser pays" ALL costs of each side would be more effective. Frivolous suits would disappear overnight.

jimnyc
12-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Not sure if its a "snopes" thing or not...

But I read a few years back about a woman who tripped over a child in a store and broke her ankle. She successfully sued the store and won something like 65k+ ion damages because they didn't do enough to control the actions of the child and prevent the injury,

The child was the son of the woman who sued.

SassyLady
12-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Here's a really "out there" idea.

Get rid of lawyers, judges and juries. Feed all the facts into a computer, let the computer decide who is right and who is wrong. No emotion or preconceived ideas getting in the way.

Wonder how it would have handled the lady who tripped over her son and sued the store? Can a computer make a decision, based on best logic, of "lady can't control her own child, therefore, should have left child at home....no case"?

Noir
12-12-2010, 05:31 PM
A simple "loser pays" ALL costs of each side would be more effective. Frivolous suits would disappear overnight.

That's what we gave in the UK. Loser pays all, but most cases end up settled outside of court, that's what I spent a week of my life doing >,>