PDA

View Full Version : Tornados

Dilloduck
05-05-2007, 10:23 AM
We're getting shredded BIG TIME. They're now reporting 7 dead in Greensberg,KS with some still unaccounted for. More serious storms continuing today!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070505/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather

gabosaurus
05-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Obviously God's wrath again.
Fred must have fun with natural disasters.

krisy
05-05-2007, 10:40 AM

Not trying to be mean or start,but this is serious.....people are hurt.

Dilloduck
05-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Not trying to be mean or start,but this is serious.....people are hurt.

and more will be---get a gip Gabby---people of faith will be out there on the ground doing everythnig they can to help. Your castigation of religious people is disgusting.

krisy
05-05-2007, 10:50 AM
and more will be---get a gip Gabby---people of faith will be out there on the ground doing everythnig they can to help. Your castigation of religious people is disgusting.

I have to agree. How can someone take something like this and turn it into a joke about people of faith?

I'm sure he/she might feel differntly had these people been members of her/hisfamily...GOD forbid.

gabosaurus
05-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Don't blame me, blame Fred Phelps.
I have very little first hand knowledge of tornadoes. Earthquakes are more my realm. I just know how destructive they are. My husband and I saw it on the news when we woke up this morning.

Dilloduck
05-05-2007, 10:58 AM
I have very little first hand knowledge of tornadoes. Earthquakes are more my realm. I just know how destructive they are. My husband and I saw it on the news when we woke up this morning.

Then STFU and let people who actually care about other people handle this instead of already trying to make some kind of sick statement JUST LIKE PHELPS DID !!

CockySOB
05-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Just saw another report coming in from Kansas (Greenburg?) saying that it's unlikely many buildings in town still have enough structural integrity to repair. From what I heard, they think the town is pretty much destroyed and will have to be razed and rebuilt.

05-05-2007, 12:01 PM

Fred Phelps isn't the one derailing this thread with asinine posts.

LiberalNation
05-05-2007, 12:03 PM
That's sucks, sounds really bad. We had a tornado around here last year tht totally tore up a trailer park and some houses. Killed like 21 people. Plus hit the horse race track and killed some horses to.

We just lost trees in our yard. I was sitting watching it from the window. Real cool storm but thinkin back that might not have been too smart.

Dilloduck
05-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Just saw another report coming in from Kansas (Greenburg?) saying that it's unlikely many buildings in town still have enough structural integrity to repair. From what I heard, they think the town is pretty much destroyed and will have to be razed and rebuilt.

The entire town of 1,400 is being evacuated--there isn't a structure in town safe enough to shelter people. And still more storms are heading that way---a tremendously difficult search and rescue and mass care problem. Very sad

TheStripey1
05-05-2007, 12:16 PM
CNN has video from 2 storm chasers in Oklahoma filming a small twister during yesterday's storms... it is simply amazing stuff... catch it if you can... They say that today will more than likely be a day that a lot of people will remember... and not for a good reason, either...

Tornado Videos (http://www.tornadovideos.net/)

Saturday, May 5, 2007 will likely be day remembered by storm chasers and residents of the Central Plains for the rest of their lives. We don't have time to get into detail, since we need to get in position EARLY for this event...the models are forecasting extreme instability and wind shear by noon, with tornadic supercells firing along the dryline by early afternoon. The SPC issued a high risk for western/central KS for this dangerous outbreak.

Y'all be safe... ya heah?

Fountainhead
05-05-2007, 01:07 PM

I blame AlGore

Hobbit
05-05-2007, 01:36 PM
I just can't get myself worked up over tornados any more. I went through so many as a kid that I'm probably more afraid of an angry Chihuahua than I am of tornados.

Still, it's a tragedy when somebody dies, and I've seen what the storms can do to you even if they don't kill you.

Hugh Lincoln
05-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I went to college at KU, in Lawrence, KS, which is in one of the "tornado alleys" of Kansas. Never got hit, but did see some evil-looking green sky.

Watch your heads, people!

Nienna
05-05-2007, 03:54 PM
wow... I have recurring nightmares about tornadoes, even though I have never actually seen one. We have had them close-by, though. We lived in Lafayette, IN in 1974, so we were in that storm, although I was just a baby.

Very tragic... I hope no more damage or deaths occur.

Dilloduck
05-05-2007, 04:04 PM
wow... I have recurring nightmares about tornadoes, even though I have never actually seen one. We have had them close-by, though. We lived in Lafayette, IN in 1974, so we were in that storm, although I was just a baby.

I'm trying to imagine getting hit at 10:00 last night and wandering though the town until daybreak if you had survived. The poor people have to be shocked zombies. Terrible human suffering.

Nienna
05-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm trying to imagine getting hit at 10:00 last night and wandering though the town until daybreak if you had survived. The poor people have to be shocked zombies. Terrible human suffering.

wow... seriously. :(

Pale Rider
05-05-2007, 05:00 PM

What a horrible and frightening way to die... in a tornado. Surviving one could be just as bad. PTSD.

Pale Rider
05-05-2007, 06:11 PM
And now they're headed right back at Greensville! Looks like a watch though and not a warning.

This line of tornadoes has gone all the way up into South Dakota. Not unheard of, but rare.

Nukeman
05-05-2007, 07:35 PM
My wife has family out in Pratt (about 20 miles from Greensburg). Her father just got back from out there. He says 50 people were evacuated to the hosp. in Dodge since the one in town was distroyed, Dodge is 50 miles away.

Huge loss of structures, probably 90% of the town is gone. Maybe the handdug well in town is the only thing still recognizable (it is the world's largest you know).

All of her family is ok, they're spread out all over that area, so it was a worry.

Dilloduck
05-05-2007, 08:06 PM
My wife has family out in Pratt (about 20 miles from Greensburg). Her father just got back from out there. He says 50 people were evacuated to the hosp. in Dodge since the one in town was distroyed, Dodge is 50 miles away.

Huge loss of structures, probably 90% of the town is gone. Maybe the handdug well in town is the only thing still recognizable (it is the world's largest you know).

All of her family is ok, they're spread out all over that area, so it was a worry.

I hope they are keeping thier heads down---radar still shows that area in danger

TheStripey1
05-07-2007, 01:11 PM
I just can't get myself worked up over tornados any more. I went through so many as a kid that I'm probably more afraid of an angry Chihuahua than I am of tornados.

Still, it's a tragedy when somebody dies, and I've seen what the storms can do to you even if they don't kill you.

Never seen one... don't really have a desire to either... but those guys that chase them? hoo boy... whereas I am glad they do it so we can see the footage of tornadoes close up and personal, I think they are certifiably insane...

TheStripey1
05-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Here's one of the sites I check frequently during tornado season...

Storm Prediction Center (http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/070505_rpts.html)

The danger hasn't passed either... there's a high pressure system sitting over New England that is keeping that low in place over the heartland... Now, you can add flooding to the worries as it has been raining to beat the band there for days now... and since the system isn't moving, it's raining in the same places...

doesn't sound good to me... and uhhh... about that flood in '93... didn't it have a similar setup?

Birdzeye
05-07-2007, 01:48 PM
A weak tornado went through my town about two years ago. It tore off the chimney cap on my house and turned around the grill on the deck 180 degrees. I wasn't home at the time so I didn't see it, but my neighbors were kind of awed by it.

I've lived through a few hurricanes, all of which had weakened to Cat 1 by the time they got over me, and those were scary enough.

Stay safe, you midwesterners.

Gaffer
05-08-2007, 09:56 PM
I have seen a couple of the smaller f2 and f3 tornados. Those are scary enough. A f4 or f5 comes your way you best get under something real quick hope for the best. Some f5's can be a mile wide.

Experienced earthquakes in Calif. Typhoon in vietnam and a hurricane in Mississippi. Tornados are by far the scariest.

Last year one formed right over our house. It touched down about a half mile away.

Doniston
05-09-2007, 03:13 PM

One hit my home town when I was ten. ---Anoka, Minnesota.(and had passed a mile awayfrom my farm. I watched a barn go up in the air, like Dorothy's house, and then explode. It was a devistating Tornado, and the worst I had heard of until now. The one that hit my town was two blocks wide. this one was almost 2 MILES wide.

Doniston
05-09-2007, 03:20 PM

got a question, Many years ago I went thru a town which said it had the worlds largest Well. I went all the way to the bottom of it, by circlular staircase. If I remember correctly it was 80 feet deep, and 24 feet in diamater, and completely stone lined. it that the one???

Dilloduck
05-09-2007, 05:13 PM
One hit my home town when I was ten. ---Anoka, Minnesota.(and had passed a mile awayfrom my farm. I watched a barn go up in the air, like Dorothy's house, and then explode. It was a devistating Tornado, and the worst I had heard of until now. The one that hit my town was two blocks wide. this one was almost 2 MILES wide.

I lived in Richfield,MN when those same tornadoes hit. Scared the crap out of me cause in 1965 when the warning sirens went off, I looked for nukes to drop out of the sky. When I got home with my bicycle I was actually relieved to hear that it was ONLY tornadoes. My family drove by the damaged areas of Golden Valley and vivdly remember only toilets left standing.

Hagbard Celine
05-09-2007, 05:14 PM
We're getting shredded BIG TIME. They're now reporting 7 dead in Greensberg,KS with some still unaccounted for. More serious storms continuing today!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070505/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather

Sounds like somebody needs a waahburger and some frenchcries. :poke:

Dilloduck
05-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Aerial Photos of Greensburg after the tornado---thought some might be interested.

http://www.kansas.com/static/slides/050507tornadoaerials/

Mr. P
05-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Aerial Photos of Greensburg after the tornado---thought some might be interested.

http://www.kansas.com/static/slides/050507tornadoaerials/

WOW! I'm still betting they will rebuild. We won't hear about it though.

Dilloduck
05-12-2007, 10:50 PM
WOW! I'm still betting they will rebuild. We won't hear about it though.

Ditto-----if for no other reason than to prove that they have the courage and will to do it !