PDA

View Full Version : Churchill Downs to host British royalty

LiberalNation
05-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Street Sense is the horse I picked. Anyone else going to watch the horses run today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070505/ap_on_re_us/royal_visit_kentucky_derby;_ylt=AnNQveLc32Lo973Wc1 bs.6xvzwcF

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Accustomed to treating athletes, actors and other celebrities like royalty, Churchill Downs is relishing the chance to host the real thing.

Queen Elizabeth II, an avid horse enthusiast, was scheduled to be part of the huge crowd on hand Saturday for the 133rd running of the Kentucky Derby, the first leg of thoroughbred racing's Triple Crown.

If ever a person could overshadow the horses at the Derby, this could be the year. Whether the 81-year-old queen planned to publicly acknowledge the crowd remained as much a mystery as which horse would end up in the winner's circle. Race fans were hoping for at least a glimpse.

"I don't know anyone else who has seen the queen, so it would be something to brag about," Rybicki said Friday from the track's soggy infield. He said he'd be ready with his camera if there's a royal appearance.

The chance of seeing a royal wave was enough to spur Gore and his mother, Sandy, to drive from Michigan to attend the Derby.

"Just to be in the same place as royalty, that's a chance most people don't get," Gore said.

Queen Elizabeth and her husband, Prince Philip, arrived in Kentucky late Friday afternoon, touching down in Lexington, 70 miles east of Louisville.

Wearing a lavender coat over a light blue, lavender and white dress, the queen was greeted by Blue Grass Airport director Michael Gobb, his wife, Kristina, and their 9-year-old daughter, Kirsten. Kirsten Gobb presented the queen with a bouquet of pink and white roses.

Also there to greet the queen was former British ambassador Will Farish, who owns Lane's End Farm in central Kentucky.

Officials did not release details about the queen's itinerary, listing the Kentucky Derby as her only public event. On previous visits to Kentucky — the last time in 1991 — she stayed at Lane's End. Farish is providing the queen's tickets to the race.

Saturday's visit won't be the first by British royalty: Princess Margaret, the queen's sister, attended the race in 1974.

"Queen Elizabeth is certainly the most prestigious guest we've entertained in the modern-day history of the Kentucky Derby," track President Steve Sexton said.

The royal couple will visit the track as part of a six-day trip to the United States that also includes visits to Virginia and Washington, D.C.

In Virginia, the queen addressed the Virginia General Assembly and visited the Jamestown Settlement before traveling to Kentucky. In Washington next week, she's scheduled to attend a state dinner with President Bush.

To prepare for the royal visit, a number of Churchill Downs workers took etiquette lessons and the lead chef planned a sumptuous meal featuring a variety of Kentucky ingredients.

For those in the infield, where the beer flows and a carefree attitude reigns, any view of the queen would be from a distance. While the Derby draws plenty of nattily attired fans, the infield crowd is more apt to be in jeans or shorts and T-shirts.

"I don't think it would be her cup of tea," race fan Betty Lyons said of the infield.

LiberalNation
05-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Wow I picked the winner. Justa placed a bet. Great race.

http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=ap-kentuckyderby&prov=ap&type=lgns

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Street Sense showed plenty of that, smartly picking his way through traffic while rallying from next-to-last in a 20-horse field to win the Kentucky Derby.

With a rip-roaring dash to the finish line at Churchill Downs, Street Sense put a couple of guys in the winner's circle late in their careers. And in beating Hard Spun by 2 1-4 lengths, the colt broke two Derby jinxes under jockey Calvin Borel, who was winless in four tries until now.

"I can't believe it, I can't believe it. This is the toughest race in the world to win," Nafzger said.

Street Sense became the first Breeders' Cup Juvenile winner to return in the spring and win on the first Saturday in May, snapping an 0-for-23 skid. He did so on the same track where he won the Juvenile by 10 lengths six months ago. He was also the first 2-year-old champion to win the Derby since Spectacular Bid in 1979.

The dark bay colt, sent off as the 9-2 favorite on his hometown track, ran 1 miles in 2:02.17 and paid $11.80, $6.40 and $4.60 as the highest-priced winning favorite in Derby history. Smarty Jones paid $10.20 to win in 2004.

Hard Spun returned $9.80 and $7, while Curlin was another 5 3/4 lengths back in third and paid $5.60 to show.

While it was Nafzger's second win in three tries, trainer Todd Pletcher, who had a record-tying five horses, was skunked again. He is now 0-for-19 in the Derby.

"I am disappointed that the horses didn't run better," Pletcher said. "It isn't the end of the world if you don't win the Kentucky Derby. I'm not going to go home tonight and cry. That's just not the way."

Queen Elizabeth II and her husband, Prince Philip, were among the 156,635 racing fans on hand, the third-largest crowd in the Derby's 133 years. They watched from the fourth-floor clubhouse balcony overlooking the finish line. With the sun finally emerging before post time, they had a picturesque view of the famous Twin Spires.

Asked what it was like to win in front of royalty, Borel said jokingly, "It meant everything in the world."

The 65-year-old Nafzger, who is nearly retired, wasn't as emotional as he was in 1990, when Unbridled won for 92-year-old Frances Genter. Because of her faltering eyesight, Nafzger called the race in her ear so she could follow her colt to the finish line.

Then he gave her a big kiss when Unbridled crossed the finish line.

This time, Nafzger's words to 83-year-old owner James Tafel were few and to the point.

"Mr. Tafel, we're clear, we're clear. It's up to him now," Nafzger said.

Street Sense left from the same No. 7 post as Unbridled 17 years ago. The moment Street Sense crossed the finish line Nafzger wrapped his arm around Tafel, shook his hand and pumped his left fist.

By the time the two made their way to the crowded winner's circle, the white-haired Tafel was beaming.

"This is the aspiration of anybody and everybody in the horse business. It's just overwhelming," said Tafel, retired from a technical publishing company and living in Boynton Beach, Fla.

Nafzger and Tafel were taking a second shot at the Derby together. In 1999, Vicar finished 18th for the duo.

Nafzger works for just two owners now, having turned the day-to-day grind of his Churchill Downs stable over to an assistant. Besides Tafel, his other client is Genter's son-in-law.

"I create the bills, he pays them," Nafzger joked, referring to Tafel. "Maybe now I can afford to retire."

Street Sense, who has finished in the money in all eight of his career races.

"This horse has never run a bad race," Nafzger said.

Curlin, the 5-1 second choice, finished third, losing for the first time in his four-race career.

Imawildandcrazyguy was another half-length back in fourth and Sedgefield was fifth. Circular Quay, coming off an eight-week layoff, was sixth for Pletcher's best finish.

Tiago was seventh, followed by Any Given Saturday, Sam P. and Nobiz Like Shobiz. Dominican was 11th, then came Zanjero, Great Hunter, Liquidity and Bwana Bull. Storm in May, who is blind in his right eye, was 16th, trailed by Teuflesberg, Scat Daddy, Stormello and Cowtown Cat in last.

Garrett Gomez said he got knocked around a bit aboard Any Given Saturday.

"Then Street Sense came blowing through there and it was like a big old wave," Gomez said. "He knocked my horse out from under me and knocked him off his feet again. But that's the Kentucky Derby."

Borel is the master of saving ground and he demonstrated that skill in the Derby as Street Sense dropped back at the start and headed for the rail. While Hard Spun shot to the lead, Street Sense tucked in 19th along the fence.

Borel still had a snug hold on the reins as Street Sense turned for home. A quarter of a mile from the finish, Borel finally moved Street Sense to the outside and they accelerated away from the pack. They quickly reeled in Hard Spun, catching him in the final eighth of a mile as Borel sneaked a peek over his right shoulder approaching the finish line.

Once they crossed it, Borel thrust his whip in the air in celebration.

Nienna
05-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Congratulations! Great pick.

Louisville isn't TOO far from me. :)