PDA

View Full Version : Your Garbage Worker is Watching You

SassyLady
12-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Does this concern you or does it make you feel safer?

Trash collectors to serve as eyes and ears in the street for police

Waste Management workers are out and about when almost everyone else is not. Except someone who might be up to no good.
A former FBI agent recently trained all Waste Management drivers, helpers and technicians in Rensselaer and Albany Counties to act as a mobile community watch.
"They're on these routes every day so they're used to the normal situation so they are able to recognize a non-normal situation," explains Ken Bevis of Waste Management. Trucks are now armed with a cell phone, camera and incident reports so they'll have accurate information for police and, possibly, prosecutors.
"The drivers understand their main job is to observe and report and let authorities do their job," explains Bevis.
The extra set of eyes and ears in the street is appreciated because even cops know they can't be everywhere, all the time.
"The old adage is 'where's a cop when you you need one?' Now it will be where's a cop or DGS or Waste Management when you need one," says Albany Police Chief Steve Krokoff.
"Waste Watch" is free to municipalities and the Capital Region is the first area in New York state to benefit from the program.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40707906

Missileman
12-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Does this concern you or does it make you feel safer?

Public servants engaged in public service. If you're not doing anything wrong there's no reason to be against this.

revelarts
12-21-2010, 06:36 AM
Public servants engaged in public service. If you're not doing anything wrong there's no reason to be against this.
Your kidding, right missile?

Why is it the citizens that are the one that have to be watched. why can't we start wacthing the gov't 24/7 . as a trail run of the the theory.
If they're doing nothing wrong then there's nothing to hide.

Man, I'm so tried of that line popping up every time a new surveillance method is thrown against the us.

Lady, simply put,
1984 style surveillance is does not make us safer.

revelarts
12-21-2010, 06:40 AM
Cable tv workers trained to spy on citizens

Bright House Networks employees will watch for “suspicious behavior,” which according to law enforcement and DHS guidelines includes being politically active, displaying bumper stickers, or disagreeing with the government

One of the largest cable TV companies in the United States is training its employees to look for suspicious behavior and report it to police under the guise of a neighborhood watch initiative. Since according to law enforcement and Homeland Security guidelines, suspicious behavior includes owning guns, being politically active, and having bumper stickers on your car, the cable guy’s next visit to your house may turn out to have more interesting consequences than you originally anticipated.

“Operation Bright Eyes is designed to maximize the eyes and ears of Bright House Networks field service representatives and other employees to easily identify suspicious behavior and to quickly report criminal activities to police,” according to a Fox 35 report.

http://business.highbeam.com/137618/article-1G1-186582105/employee-monitoring-theyre-watching-you

fj1200
12-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Cable tv workers trained to spy on citizens

http://business.highbeam.com/137618/article-1G1-186582105/employee-monitoring-theyre-watching-you

That link is employee monitoring. ???

Not the same thing.

Gaffer
12-21-2010, 09:16 AM
I have no problem with local garbage collectors be trained to be observant and reporting suspicious action on their routes. It's something most citizens would do anyway. Cuts down on burglaries and break ins. It's not about watching the citizenry of the town. And this has nothing to do with DHS. When DHS is involved, then its time to take a second look.

namvet
12-21-2010, 09:52 AM
they have other interest they're pursing

B51GcUQY6mw

revelarts
12-21-2010, 10:27 AM
That link is employee monitoring. ???

Not the same thing.

Hey your right
here's a couple of alternate links to the article info.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/money/072209operation_bright_eyes

http://www.prisonplanet.com/cable-tv-workers-trained-to-spy-on-citizens.html

revelarts
12-21-2010, 10:37 AM
I have no problem with local garbage collectors be trained to be observant and reporting suspicious action on their routes. It's something most citizens would do anyway. Cuts down on burglaries and break ins. It's not about watching the citizenry of the town. And this has nothing to do with DHS. When DHS is involved, then its time to take a second look.

You know I Basically agree. the problem I have is that some well meaning cable workers/trash collector can land you an a boat of of trouble. The "if your not doing anything..." line is great until the cable worker tells the cops your indoor herbal/tomato green house is growing maraJawanna. Or that your stash of guns you have out cleaning was to close to the kids and/or "illegal" highpowered assault weapons.

Either way SWAT is kicking in your door and and shooting your dog. ANd your forced to explain to the cops and child protective services what your not doing anything wrong.
Both of the above items have happen already.

But again if the training is responsible and the feds are not a part of it, it can be a very good thing.

jimnyc
12-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Either way SWAT is kicking in your door and and shooting your dog. ANd your forced to explain to the cops and child protective services what your not doing anything wrong.
Both of the above items have happen already.

Can you link me to these incidents? Were they as a result of someone "monitoring" as in these garbage men, just a nosy neighbor? I'm curious about these instances and it's surroundings.

jimnyc
12-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Either way SWAT is kicking in your door and and shooting your dog.

And that's the reason why I ask. Someone shoots either of my harmless little piss monsters, there's going to be some serious problems around here!

revelarts
12-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Can you link me to these incidents? Were they as a result of someone "monitoring" as in these garbage men, just a nosy neighbor? I'm curious about these instances and it's surroundings.

It's been A while back when I read those reports so they weren't garbage men or cable guys. One was a carpet cleaner that visited a house and saw guns. ANd the other I had in mind was a false anonymous tip from a concern citizen who thought they saw WEED growing in the house.

I'll see if I can find one or both later.

till then.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6rDOPcCxHOI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6rDOPcCxHOI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Missileman
12-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Your kidding, right missile?

Why is it the citizens that are the one that have to be watched. why can't we start wacthing the gov't 24/7 . as a trail run of the the theory.
If they're doing nothing wrong then there's nothing to hide.

Man, I'm so tried of that line popping up every time a new surveillance method is thrown against the us.

Lady, simply put,
1984 style surveillance is does not make us safer.

So you'd prefer your neighbor, who happens to be operating a meth lab, remain unreported, blow up their house and in the process, kill your wife and kids?

The police forces are operating with reduced budgets like everyone else and asking the trash collectors to be vigilant and assist in crime prevention has got to be one of the most fiscally sound policies I've heard in a while.