PDA

View Full Version : New Job

darin
12-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Got the word last week - I'll be moving again, but only temp this time.

I've been selected for an assignment at Joint-base Balad, Baghdad, Iraq. I'll leave here in about 7 weeks. Until then, I'll spend my time with pre-deployment training and physicals, etc.

My schedule duration is 179 days; however might extend - or try to find work in A'stan immediately thereafter. Am thrilled beyond description at the chance to actually do something to directly support the warfight (or in this case, the draw-down).

Mr. P
12-21-2010, 12:03 PM
And the family???

Jeff
12-21-2010, 12:20 PM

I've been selected for an assignment at Joint-base Balad, Baghdad, Iraq. I'll leave here in about 7 weeks. Until then, I'll spend my time with pre-deployment training and physicals, etc.

My schedule duration is 179 days; however might extend - or try to find work in A'stan immediately thereafter. Am thrilled beyond description at the chance to actually do something to directly support the warfight (or in this case, the draw-down).

I am Happy for you Darin, I pray you have a safe time there and it fulfills your need to help
God Bless you and yours

SassyLady
12-21-2010, 12:21 PM

Do they get much snow there?

jimnyc
12-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Be safe, report in and take lots of great pictures!

But most importantly, Be Safe :salute:

Noir
12-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Awesome ^__^ I know some folks who live in Baghdad and it's not as bad as ya'd think over there, all the same may your god go with you.

Nukeman
12-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Thats awesome Darin, My neice was there and Jordan for a few months a year or so ago, She said it was amazing and really enjoyed herself.. Have fun, be productive, and keep your head down :beer:

NightTrain
12-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Safe travels, Darin!

And if you hear some Taliban tongue flappin', shoot first and ask questions later.

darin
12-21-2010, 05:23 PM
And the family???

They'll be here in MI.

I am Happy for you Darin, I pray you have a safe time there and it fulfills your need to help
God Bless you and yours

Thanks Jeff. I can't say it'll fulfill anything...but it's at least doing SOMETHING.

Do they get much snow there?

Three days after I depart, MI will get hit with 2 Feet of snow and it'll last until I get home late this summer. :(

Be safe, report in and take lots of great pictures!

But most importantly, Be Safe :salute:

Lots of pics, of course! Safety won't be up to me - but will be up to America's finest. The only danger I'd be in would be self-inflicted.

Awesome ^__^ I know some folks who live in Baghdad and it's not as bad as ya'd think over there, all the same may your god go with you.

Thanks mate! I'm a little bummed I'm heading to so-safe a location.

Thats awesome Darin, My neice was there and Jordan for a few months a year or so ago, She said it was amazing and really enjoyed herself.. Have fun, be productive, and keep your head down :beer:

Thanks much brother. Yup - am very much looking forward to the journey.

Safe travels, Darin!

And if you hear some Taliban tongue flappin', shoot first and ask questions later.

HA! I won't get a gun. :(

Psychoblues
12-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Awesome, Darin. Obviously this is something you volunteered for and I wish you the very best. Military or not, armed or not I think I can speak for everyone on this board thanking you for your service in the zone. That takes more character than most here understand.

Psychoblues

darin
12-21-2010, 08:35 PM
I have no idea how to respond to that, PB. wow. Thanks.

Psychoblues
12-21-2010, 09:26 PM
I have no idea how to respond to that, PB. wow. Thanks.

Just bringing your hard headed ass safely back to the world at the end of your tour is the very best response you could ever have to me, Darin.

Psychoblues

actsnoblemartin
12-21-2010, 11:54 PM
thanks for helping our country darin and all vets, and all the best brother darin :salute:

SassyLady
12-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Three days after I depart, MI will get hit with 2 Feet of snow and it'll last until I get home late this summer. :(

Oh Darin, I'm sorry, I was teasing you about not having snow in Iraq! I know you love the snow and it looks like you'll miss out on it this year in MI!

I hope you have a great time, learn a lot and take loads and loads of pictures.

darin
12-22-2010, 04:33 AM
I know Sassy - I gotcha! :) <3

red states rule
12-22-2010, 04:35 AM

Take care and come home safe sir

Thank you for your service :salute:

darin
12-22-2010, 06:14 AM
Thanks RSR - will be very busy completing the required exams and training - right now taking SERE training online. wow. In-depth.

Trigg
12-22-2010, 06:40 PM

my neice will be there next week. She married an American-Iraqi who has family there and is visiting over the holidays. She's been there before and tends to stand out like a sore thumb with her red hair. He's a great husband though and keeps her far away from any hostilities.

Psychoblues
12-22-2010, 11:41 PM
I had to go to the VA for an MRI today, darin, and I picked up a copy of Guard Experience to read in the waiting room. I never heard of Joint-Base Balad until you wrote in this thread about it. Lo and behold, there it was. It seems you will probably be working with or close by Task Force 38. They seem to be the major American contingent there.

Again, good luck, keep your head down, be constantly aware of what is around you and bring yourself back here to the world safely and in most due time. There was a time when the people in Iraq loved Americans regardless what their toothless tiger President Saddam Hussein squeaked about. That is no longer true. They hate us now and that hate will take centuries to absolve.

Later, Alligator

Psychoblues

darin
12-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Got my labs done. High Cholesterol will delay my deployment. If I can get a 'management plan' from my doctor and the doctor here sees at least measurable improvement, they'll clear me to deploy.

Otherwise, am healthy as a slightly-over-weight horse.

darin
12-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Got the official notification:

"This message calls forward 1 Civilian in support of Operation Enduring and Operation New Dawn."

Report to Deployment Center: 21 Feb 11

Kathianne
12-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Got my labs done. High Cholesterol will delay my deployment. If I can get a 'management plan' from my doctor and the doctor here sees at least measurable improvement, they'll clear me to deploy.

Otherwise, am healthy as a slightly-over-weight horse.

Oatmeal in morning, lots of potatoes for all else-no oils but olive. Baked, mashed, fried in olive oil, hashed. Just don't add anything else. Cholesterol levels should fall quickly. You'll lost weight too unless you manage to eat 30 potatoes every day.