PDA

View Full Version : Can't afford to heat house

Trigg
12-21-2010, 03:18 PM
But apparently she can afford the big screen TV and x-box 360. hubby also pointed out the surround sound and satelite TV.

Is it any wonder why people are sick and tired of the people who sponge off the gov???????????? Here's an idea how about they stop wasting their money of luxuries and PAY THEIR BILLS!!!!

http://www.macon.com/2010/12/16/1379464/funding-cuts-leave-many-without.html

Raymeica Kelly explains how her mother, sister and herself were turned away from the Energy Assistance Program on Wednesday morning after standing in line for four hours. All three complained that the system the Macon-Bibb County Economic Opportunity Council uses to give out the assistance needs improving.

If anyone is confused about what I'm taking about look at the picture of the lady holding the energy bills.

Noir
12-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Wow, what'a tool :laugh:

Psychoblues
12-21-2010, 03:52 PM
We don't know the circumstances surrounding this immediate need for this bunch to get energy assistance but I will admit there are always those that will abuse any system for their own advantages. There are thousands of Wall Streeters that have robbed the rest of us of billions and possibly trillions of dollars but I see no mention of them in this article and rarely on this board.

I could suddenly lose my income and consequently suddenly be in great need for assistance in a number of different ways. Does this mean I need to sell my TV, or my vehicle, or my guns or guitars? Or even my house? No, I think not.

I would need substantially more information before I could feel comfortable about commenting on this specific case as I rarely and try to NEVER pass judgment on anyone outside any professional responsibility to do so.

Where does all this hate and resentment come from?

Psychoblues

Trigg
12-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Where does all this hate and resentment come from?
Psychoblues

Disgust would be a better word.

I've been flat broke before and NEVER did I apply for government assistance.

Meanwhile I worked for an eye doctor at the time and had people on assistance wondering why we didn't have cable in the waiting area and why I didn't leave messages on their answering machine.

At the time I couldn't afford cable and didn't have an answering machine.

So, having been broke and worked most of my life with people on assitance. I am disgusted by stories like this.

On a side note it is usually VERY easy to tell the difference between people who NEED the assistance and people who make a living ON the assistance.

Nukeman
12-21-2010, 04:10 PM
After reading the article I have to say she is more likely a pro at assistance. She speaks of how easy it has been in past years and how it is more difficult this year due to more people needing it..

I have to agree with Trigg completely on this.. If your needing assistance for YEARS you don't have all the bells-and-whistles..

REALLY STUPID of her to pose in front of that stuff IMHO

Psychoblues
12-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Disgust would be a better word.

I've been flat broke before and NEVER did I apply for government assistance.

Meanwhile I worked for an eye doctor at the time and had people on assistance wondering why we didn't have cable in the waiting area and why I didn't leave messages on their answering machine.

At the time I couldn't afford cable and didn't have an answering machine.

So, having been broke and worked most of my life with people on assitance. I am disgusted by stories like this.

On a side note it is usually VERY easy to tell the difference between people who NEED the assistance and people who make a living ON the assistance.

I think you missed my point but I am certainly not missing yours.

I, too, am disgusted.

Psychoblues

MtnBiker
12-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Does this mean I need to sell my TV, or my vehicle, or my guns or guitars? Or even my house? No, I think not.

Vehicle or house, no. Arguably a person would require those assets in pursuit of moving forward. However, big screen tv, gaming system, guns and even guitars, well yes. Government assistance is asking other people to give up their assets (tax money) in order for you to pay for your assistance. Why should one person give up there assets to a person in need if that person owns assets that could provide their for their own assistance?

Jeff
12-21-2010, 04:27 PM
I understand what everyone is saying here, but if ya look at my situation , I have a 52" tv , play station 3 and had some money put back, but have been out of work since April and yes I worry about how I am going to pay bills, nope I have never collected any type of assistance either but the Doc tells me I must not work, so yes I am trying

Both Nuke and Trigg may be 100% correct in the woman being a fake, guess this time of the year just has me being a ol softie, LOL

Psychoblues
12-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Vehicle or house, no. Arguably a person would require those assets in pursuit of moving forward. However, big screen tv, gaming system, guns and even guitars, well yes. Government assistance is asking other people to give up their assets (tax money) in order for you to pay for your assistance. Why should one person give up there assets to a person in need if that person owns assets that could provide their for their own assistance?

I went to war to protect a better society than you are advocating, MtnBiker. It hasn't changed that much, has it? Like Trigg, I have also been flat broke, unemployed, out of luck and outcast, apparently. I picked myself up and carried on without a dime ever in my life of welfare, unemployment insurance or otherwise government assistance. But I don't begrudge others that have not been so fortunate. Anybody can scrutinize any system and find fault and anybody can scrutinize the lives of anyone else and find fault. Then they can run around like children and yell "look what they did, look what that is". When I find fault whether personally or institutionally I make at least some attempt to address and remedy the fault rather than excuse my own at the expense of others less ambitious. intuitive or able.

Why would you want to further beat down anyone that was already in such need as to require governmental assistance with their heating bill by requiring them to sell what few possessions they might have and love very much? That might be the only thing left to give them reasons for living. Or, do you want to be a participant on that Death Panel?

Psychoblues

MtnBiker
12-21-2010, 04:51 PM
I am certainly glad that my life has more reason than a big screen tv and a gaming system and to equate the absence of either to a death panel is absurd.

Psychoblues
12-21-2010, 05:41 PM
I am certainly glad that my life has more reason than a big screen tv and a gaming system and to equate the absence of either to a death panel is absurd.

I was not talking about your tv or your gaming system, MB. I was talking about the few possessions a person might have that the loss of which would send them into such a depression that their sad decision would indeed be as the result of some "death panel" that required them to dispose of them. My argument stands. I went to war to protect a better society (do you understand what that word even means?) than you are seemingly advocating.

Like all of you, I despise welfare abuse in any shape or form but I see it every day living on this Mississippi delta. The poverty here is indescribable and a damned shame in this great country but the great majority of our governmental assistance goes to farmers that whine about not being able to buy new Cadillac's or Lexus's for their wives every 6 months. That is the real version of welfare Cadillac's in my part of the country. On the other hand, I have also seen some of the more traditionally known welfare Cadillac's driven by what might seem to be wealthy and more undeserved people. Closer examination reveals these people actually do live in dire poverty and have pooled and saved every dime they could to get that fancy car. That seemed to them to be the most important thing in their lives at the time. That makes me feel really sad and like I need a shower even writing that.

I hope this is making some sense to some of you. The program as indicated in the article is a good and needed program. But I would not doubt for a moment that some of these Mississippi farmers wouldn't be going behind the scenes to acquire some of that government assistance money. They seem to never miss a trick when it comes to things like that.

Psychoblues

Trigg
12-22-2010, 03:56 PM
I hope this is making some sense to some of you. The program as indicated in the article is a good and needed program. But I would not doubt for a moment that some of these Mississippi farmers wouldn't be going behind the scenes to acquire some of that government assistance money. They seem to never miss a trick when it comes to things like that.

Psychoblues

I never said that the program wasn't needed.

It is a shame and a disgrace the way some people use the system instead of bettering THEMSELVES.

Jeff
12-22-2010, 04:29 PM
I never said that the program wasn't needed.

It is a shame and a disgrace the way some people use the system instead of bettering THEMSELVES.

Shame of it is Trigg some are born into it and will never change, and are they to blame, I don't think so I blame the government that allows it

Mountain Biker I said I have a couple of luxurious yes my 52" tv that is 10 years old, if I could find someone to buy it I might be able to get a cup of coffee with what I would make from the sale, I have already sold anything of value that would help in this time

NightTrain
12-22-2010, 06:01 PM
I could suddenly lose my income and consequently suddenly be in great need for assistance in a number of different ways. Does this mean I need to sell my TV, or my vehicle, or my guns or guitars? Or even my house? No, I think not.

You are missing the point.

That's a damn new 55" TV behind that woman posing with her outstanding bills.

Selling that 55 incher and getting a standard 27" (gasp!) old school for $20 to replace it would pay for her heating bill.

Owning luxury items like that while in the same breath describing how "easy" it was in the past to apply for welfare programs tells me all I need to know about her.

She obviously rides the system and works it like a pro, and then bitches because the free money isn't as easy to get anymore.

And I'll bet you my old school 27" TV that she votes Democrat and absolutely loves Obama.

red states rule
12-22-2010, 06:14 PM
I was not talking about your tv or your gaming system, MB. I was talking about the few possessions a person might have that the loss of which would send them into such a depression that their sad decision would indeed be as the result of some "death panel" that required them to dispose of them. My argument stands. I went to war to protect a better society (do you understand what that word even means?) than you are seemingly advocating.

Like all of you, I despise welfare abuse in any shape or form but I see it every day living on this Mississippi delta. The poverty here is indescribable and a damned shame in this great country but the great majority of our governmental assistance goes to farmers that whine about not being able to buy new Cadillac's or Lexus's for their wives every 6 months. That is the real version of welfare Cadillac's in my part of the country. On the other hand, I have also seen some of the more traditionally known welfare Cadillac's driven by what might seem to be wealthy and more undeserved people. Closer examination reveals these people actually do live in dire poverty and have pooled and saved every dime they could to get that fancy car. That seemed to them to be the most important thing in their lives at the time. That makes me feel really sad and like I need a shower even writing that.

Psychoblues

PB, considering the US has spent (i.e wealth transfers) over NINE TRILLION DOLLARS since LBJ's Great Society to end poverty - what have we got to show for it? What has been accomplished?

Also, based on US Census numbers - being poor in America is not so bad

snip

The following facts about persons defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau are taken from various government reports:

Forty-six percent of all poor households own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as "poor" by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

Seventy-six percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, 30 years ago, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 30 percent own two or more cars.

Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television. Over half own two or more color televisions.

Seventy-eight percent of America's poor own a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

Seventy-three percent of America's poor own microwave ovens; more than half have a stereo; and one-third have an automatic dishwasher.

As a group, America's poor are far from being chronically undernourished. The average consumption of protein, vitamins, and minerals is virtually the same for poor and middle-class children and, in most cases, is well above recommended norms. Poor children actually consume more meat than do higher-income children and have average protein intakes that are 100 percent above recommended levels. Most poor children in America today are, in fact, super-nourished and grow up to be, on average, one inch taller and 10 pounds heavier that the GIs who stormed the beaches of Normandy in World War II.

Although the poor are generally well nourished, some poor families do experience hunger--meaning a temporary discomfort due to food shortages. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, in 2002, 13 percent of poor families and 2.6 percent of poor children experienced hunger at some point during the year.8 In most cases, their hunger was short term. Eighty-nine percent of the poor reported that their families had "enough" food to eat,9 while only 2 percent said they "often" did not have enough to eat.10

Overall, the typical American defined as poor by the government has a car, air conditioning, a refrigerator, a stove, a clothes washer and dryer, and a microwave. He has two color televisions, cable or satellite TV reception, a VCR or DVD player, and a stereo. He is able to obtain medical care. His home is in good repair and is not overcrowded. By his own report, his family is not hungry and he had sufficient funds in the past year to meet his family's essential needs. Although this individual's life is not opulent, it is equally far from the popular images of dire poverty conveyed by the press, activists, and politicians.

Of course, the living conditions of the average poor American should not be taken as representing all the poor. There is actually a wide range in living conditions among the poor. For example, over a quarter of poor households have cell phones and telephone answering machines, but at the other extreme, approximately one-tenth have no phone at all. While the majority of poor households do not experience significant material problems, roughly a third do experience at least one problem such as overcrowding, temporary hunger, or difficulty obtaining medical care. However, even in households in which such problems do occur, the hardship is generally not severe by historic or international standards.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2004/09/understanding-poverty-and-economic-inequality-in-the-united-states

Trigg
12-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Shame of it is Trigg some are born into it and will never change, and are they to blame, I don't think so I blame the government that allows it

Mountain Biker I said I have a couple of luxurious yes my 52" tv that is 10 years old, if I could find someone to buy it I might be able to get a cup of coffee with what I would make from the sale, I have already sold anything of value that would help in this time

Actually I blame both. People who willingly take advantage of the system because they know how to work the system to their advantage. I blame the gov. for not caring if they are taking advantage of.

We are not talking about a 10 yr old TV in that picture. The woman has a HUGE flat screen with surround sound, cable and x-box. She mentioned, in the article, how things used to be handled. Obviously she is no stranger to the system.

Not to mention the woman is in Macon, GEORGIA not the snow capital of the US by any means. Does she have to turn the heat on for 2 days during the winter???????????????????????????????????????????? ????????

MtnBiker
12-22-2010, 07:17 PM

I certainly was not directing my statement specifically toward yourself or anyone on this board.

Psychoblues
12-23-2010, 01:16 AM
There are certainly those that are chronic users/abusers of these programs. There are literally millions of reasons why they do what they do. In my experience, however, I have discovered that there are very few abusers compared to those that genuinely need the assistance. All of them have different circumstances and different stories and many even have close relatives working to distribute this funding. I don't know whether some of you have noticed but there is a chronic poverty epidemic in this country right now and we could talk all night about how low it's been here (since the day of our founding) and possible solutions.

But, I maintain that in my little county in Mississippi, which has been reported as the poorest county in the United States of America, the vast majority of federal, state, county and even private assistance funding goes to the wealthy delta farmers. Sure there is a lot less of them than there are actually poor people but that doesn't change the math.

As I stated in my first post in this thread I just don't have enough FACTS to competently discuss this particular case but it just seems to me here there are those that will jump at any chance to condemn people that really might be totally on the edge of financial or physical health, and I use the word health very liberally here. I suspect many of you, however, would gladly accept a local farmer or his wife to buy you a round of $8 beers with money that was absolutely stolen from the taxpayers and you would never say a word about it.

I dunno, but I ain't givin' up.

Psychoblues

red states rule
12-23-2010, 04:40 AM
There are certainly those that are chronic users/abusers of these programs. There are literally millions of reasons why they do what they do. In my experience, however, I have discovered that there are very few abusers compared to those that genuinely need the assistance. All of them have different circumstances and different stories and many even have close relatives working to distribute this funding. I don't know whether some of you have noticed but there is a chronic poverty epidemic in this country right now and we could talk all night about how low it's been here (since the day of our founding) and possible solutions.

But, I maintain that in my little county in Mississippi, which has been reported as the poorest county in the United States of America, the vast majority of federal, state, county and even private assistance funding goes to the wealthy delta farmers. Sure there is a lot less of them than there are actually poor people but that doesn't change the math.

As I stated in my first post in this thread I just don't have enough FACTS to competently discuss this particular case but it just seems to me here there are those that will jump at any chance to condemn people that really might be totally on the edge of financial or physical health, and I use the word health very liberally here. I suspect many of you, however, would gladly accept a local farmer or his wife to buy you a round of $8 beers with money that was absolutely stolen from the taxpayers and you would never say a word about it.

I dunno, but I ain't givin' up.

Psychoblues

People are on the brink of financial ruin when they own a house, have more then one car, A/C. cable, and a phone? I guess they (and you) never heard of cutting espenses to make the bidget balance

Once again PB look at how the "poor" live in America. If you want to see real poverty go to North Korea, Viet Nam, or parts of China

Also what about the $9 trillion in taxpayer dollars spent to end poverty in the US?

Any comments at all PB?

Jeff
12-23-2010, 07:08 AM
I certainly was not directing my statement specifically toward yourself or anyone on this board.

I just felt the need to explain that MB, my way of thinking these days

namvet
12-23-2010, 09:50 AM
http://media.macon.com/smedia/2010/12/15/22/20101215-221428-pic-125665235.standalone.prod_affiliate.71.jpg

throw the damed TV in the fireplace

if she's a HOMO maybe she should have spent some $$$ on winterizing the home.

red states rule
12-24-2010, 02:29 AM
People are on the brink of financial ruin when they own a house, have more then one car, A/C. cable, and a phone? I guess they (and you) never heard of cutting espenses to make the bidget balance

Once again PB look at how the "poor" live in America. If you want to see real poverty go to North Korea, Viet Nam, or parts of China

Also what about the $9 trillion in taxpayer dollars spent to end poverty in the US?

Any comments at all PB?

Has PB pulled a Bully and become "bored" wuth the thread? I guess ol' PB has done a tactical retreat to avoid the incoming barrage of incoming facts :laugh2: