PDA

View Full Version : Specter Issues Parting Blow To Roberts, Alito

Psychoblues
12-22-2010, 01:41 AM
I typically don't agree much with Arlen Specter, especially his politically driven decision to abandon his party and join up with the Democrats even though the Democrats needed his participation. I do, however, applaud his words yesterday concerning the hypocrisy and outright lying by Justices Roberts and Alito in their confirmation hearings.

Source: CNN
by: CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Sen. Arlen Specter, the outgoing Pennsylvania Republican-turned-Democrat, directed a parting blow Tuesday to members of the Supreme Court's conservative bloc.

In his final speech on the Senate floor, Specter, the former GOP chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, chastised Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito for "eroding the constitutional mandate of separation of powers."

"The Supreme Court has been eating Congress' lunch by invalidating legislation with judicial activism after nominees commit under oath in confirmation proceedings to respect congressional fact finding and precedents," said Specter, who voted in favor of both Roberts and Alito when the Bush appointees came before his panel.

Specter specifically took issue with the court's controversial 5-4 decision early this year, in which it relaxed federally-imposed campaign finance regulations for corporations and unions.

"Ignoring a massive congressional record and reversing recent decisions, Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Alito repudiated their confirmation testimony given under oath and provided the key votes to permit corporations and unions to secretly pay for political advertising - thus effectively undermining the basic Democratic principle of the power of one person, one vote," said Specter. Chief Justice Roberts promised to just call balls and strikes and then he moved the bases."...............................................

More: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/21/specter-issues-parting-blow-to-roberts-alito/

There is just no way that I will ever accept any corporation or union as having more or even equal rights to ANY citizen insofar as campaign contributions and polling place activities are concerned. The judicial activism as demonstrated by these two individuals should be reason for their impeachment and subsequent dismissal from any court system in the United States of America. It's not like we don't have video and transcripts to prove their worthless asses for the traitors that they are.

Psychoblues

red states rule
12-22-2010, 03:40 AM
PB, Specter is a sore loser. He was rejected by the voters and he takes his parting shots - nothing worth paying attentin to

Do you want to know why he lost his job? Here are a couple of reasons

Here is Specter pissing off the voters at a Town Hall meeting on Obamacare

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J-Bpshk5nX0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J-Bpshk5nX0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Then he said he changed party to get reelected

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x97DdZho11k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x97DdZho11k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

As far as your "facts" on campaign money - well it was not the "secret money" that was the biggest doner in the last election.

It was unions. The same unions that backed Dems as their pension funds dry up

http://media.hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/wsj-spending.jpg

Kathianne
12-22-2010, 08:54 AM
I typically don't agree much with Arlen Specter, especially his politically driven decision to abandon his party and join up with the Democrats even though the Democrats needed his participation. I do, however, applaud his words yesterday concerning the hypocrisy and outright lying by Justices Roberts and Alito in their confirmation hearings.

Source: CNN
by: CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Sen. Arlen Specter, the outgoing Pennsylvania Republican-turned-Democrat, directed a parting blow Tuesday to members of the Supreme Court's conservative bloc.

In his final speech on the Senate floor, Specter, the former GOP chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, chastised Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito for "eroding the constitutional mandate of separation of powers."

"The Supreme Court has been eating Congress' lunch by invalidating legislation with judicial activism after nominees commit under oath in confirmation proceedings to respect congressional fact finding and precedents," said Specter, who voted in favor of both Roberts and Alito when the Bush appointees came before his panel.

Specter specifically took issue with the court's controversial 5-4 decision early this year, in which it relaxed federally-imposed campaign finance regulations for corporations and unions.

"Ignoring a massive congressional record and reversing recent decisions, Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Alito repudiated their confirmation testimony given under oath and provided the key votes to permit corporations and unions to secretly pay for political advertising - thus effectively undermining the basic Democratic principle of the power of one person, one vote," said Specter. Chief Justice Roberts promised to just call balls and strikes and then he moved the bases."...............................................

More: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/21/specter-issues-parting-blow-to-roberts-alito/

There is just no way that I will ever accept any corporation or union as having more or even equal rights to ANY citizen insofar as campaign contributions and polling place activities are concerned. The judicial activism as demonstrated by these two individuals should be reason for their impeachment and subsequent dismissal from any court system in the United States of America. It's not like we don't have video and transcripts to prove their worthless asses for the traitors that they are.

Psychoblues

So Spector is actually asserting that if legislation is really, really long, that makes it constitutional? LOL! The one recent example of an embarrassment to both major parties is saying that the business of the SCOTUS is not to weigh constitutionality, but to rule the way Arlen Spector wants. :rolleyes:

fj1200
12-22-2010, 11:55 PM

How did they lie?

So you're against free speech?

Psychoblues
12-23-2010, 12:10 AM
How did they lie?

The questions regarding possible future rulings concerning issues like Citizens United were asked pointedly and both of them answered they would NOT rule in the manner they ultimately did.

So you're against free speech?

I am certainly for free speech. I am also for 1 person, 1 vote, not 1 dollar, 1 vote. It's a complicated issue, fj2000 and I have no desire whatsoever to educate you any further than a possible comment or so. Most of the people that believe in this free speech, corporate and union campaign cash debacle haave no clue they are voting against themselves. Why would I want to argue or debate with an idiot like that?

Psychoblues

fj1200
12-23-2010, 12:30 AM
The questions regarding possible future rulings concerning issues like Citizens United were asked pointedly and both of them answered they would NOT rule in the manner they ultimately did.

Well I guess you'll be pulling up those quotes, enlightening us with your superb legal insights, and pointedly showing any and all lies and hypocrisy that were unleashed on American society by messr.s Alito and Roberts. Then I'd like to see the constitutional basis for impeachment of a SC Justice, I'm sure we'd be able to bring proceedings for pretty much any justice at that point.

I am certainly for free speech. I am also for 1 person, 1 vote, not 1 dollar, 1 vote. It's a complicated issue, fj2000 and I have no desire whatsoever to educate you any further than a possible comment or so. Most of the people that believe in this free speech, corporate and union campaign cash debacle haave no clue they are voting against themselves. Why would I want to argue or debate with an idiot like that?

If that's your response I tend to think it unlikely that you have the ability to educate almost anyone on most subjects. Now if you wanted to bring up something intelligent you could get into corporate personhood and the rights of an individual that have been bestowed on corporations. But for me I like to allow freedom of association which lets various groups come together, pool their money and resources, and then decide to back particular candidates particularly in an environment where the power of Congress to game the system for their own benefit is almost too much to overcome.

But you're right, someone who can barely back up their own thread is hardly worth engaging in debate.

See ya around.

Psychoblues
12-23-2010, 12:46 AM
See ya around.

Bye Bye

:laugh2:

Psychoblues

fj1200
12-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Bye Bye

That's what I thought. Stay classy.

Psychoblues
12-23-2010, 12:55 AM
That's what I thought. Stay classy.

Hey, man, thanks. I think I'm gonna get verklept.

Psychoblues

red states rule
12-23-2010, 03:49 AM

Psychoblues

Yea, the facts do get in the way of your posts PB. When Dems lose an election, they must find an excuse.

It is usually one or more of the following:

the election was stolen

the voters were to stupid to grasp how complex the issues were

Fox News and Rush Limbuagh drowned out the Dems message

"secret money" bought the election for Republicans

But they NEVER say the voters rejected their policies and agenda

So I understand why "you have no desire whatsoever to educate " us

Bye Bye!