PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Supper Is 10 Times Better Than Thanksgiving

Psychoblues
12-25-2010, 07:14 PM
But both are FANTASTIC. I'm about to break my doggone neck falling asleep so I came in to talk a while. I's so full I am about to pop. We've had friends and family dropping in and calling all day including several I haven't heard from in years. My wife really puts on the groceries for Christmas. I try to help but she runs my butt out of the kitchen until it's time to put everything up and wash the dishes. Right now we're in graze mode but it won't be long and I'll get the kitchen cleaned up. I feel so fortunate for all my friends and family but especially my wife. She is so far ahead of wifey #1 it's just a shame.

Merry Christmas to all of yall and from the bottom of my heart I DO love you despite our differences in politics and policies. Politics and policies change often. Love is a commitment and ideally forever.

Merry Christmas

Psychoblues

jimnyc
12-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Glad you're having a chance to be with family and enjoy a good Christmas meal!

I went to NJ earlier and my brother and sister were there and my Dad was in town from SC. Lots of other friends of friends there too. Was cool enough to just be with everyone having a good time.

BUT

My sister made Prime Rib and Filet Mignon, baked potatoes AND mashed potatoes, some awesome bread, asparagus.... There was more than that but I was so busy stuffing my face with all of that, I didn't even pay attention to what else was there. And I'm supposed to be watching my diet and trying to lose weight. I failed miserably today!

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your day with your family!

Trigg
12-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Ate to much at the BIG hubby family get together.

We enjoyed seeing family that we only see a few times a year. Saw 2 new babies and found out there is another on the way. Hubbies grandad is getting his second great-great grandchild in a few months.

We just finished watching A Christmas Story, it's kind of our tradition to sit and watch it after a long Christmas day.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

Psychoblues
12-26-2010, 12:41 AM
So far, thanks to jimnyc and Trigg and to All that have read this thread. You cats are the real meows!!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays

Psychoblues

Kathianne
12-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Well it seems so far it's unanimous, we all had a great day. We did some reminiscing about the folks and Christmas's past, but today was great!

Baby Cole crawled forward, towards the gift I gave him, for the first time. :dance: Everyone loved dinner, enough so they just left about 11:15 and the first got here a half hour early, 3:30. It's been a long day. :laugh2: I've been up since 2 am. But the house looked great and everyone seemed happy. I am, I've been so worried about tonight for weeks.

Psychoblues
12-26-2010, 01:15 AM
Well it seems so far it's unanimous, we all had a great day. We did some reminiscing about the folks and Christmas's past, but today was great!

Baby Cole crawled forward, towards the gift I gave him, for the first time. :dance: Everyone loved dinner, enough so they just left about 11:15 and the first got here a half hour early, 3:30. It's been a long day. :laugh2: I've been up since 2 am. But the house looked great and everyone seemed happy. I am, I've been so worried about tonight for weeks.

Good times with good folks are getting further and further apart, Kath. I'm so glad for you on this wondrous occasion!!!!!

Psychoblues

Kathianne
12-26-2010, 02:34 AM
Good times with good folks are getting further and further apart, Kath. I'm so glad for you on this wondrous occasion!!!!!

Psychoblues

Well I may be in the minority but our family gets together regularly. Recently it was Thanksgiving. Two weeks ago my niece and her husband came in from NY for an early Christmas, we got together at my SIL's sister's house.

Christmas Eve at my brother's, Christmas at mine. Bro got an infra-red deep fry turkey maker from Santa, so in two weeks we're at his house to try it out! (No oil necessary! The fire department will be so happy!)

It may be due to there only being the two of us? We're only 18 months apart, but fought like the proverbial dog and cat growing up. But woe to anyone that picked on the other. My guess it had more to do with our parents doing many things with us, including buying a summer home when their oldest grandchildren were 6 & 3. For over 15 years, summers were there. A two bedroom A-frame with a loft and later a pop-up trailer. As the kids hit 12, they were kicked to the trailer. :laugh2:

Our kids are close. There are times they have been closer than others, same can be said for any family relationship. What's probably different though is that we do get together family-wise at least every other month. Right now out of the 6 kids, 2 are married, (my brother's oldest two.) His daughter lives in Manhattan, but son is nearby. When he was diagnosed with brain tumor, the day after my dad's funeral, whole family was in the waiting room for results.

My niece gave the eulogy for my dad, at one point recalling how over the years he'd come to their house and asked each of them to 'sneak away' for breakfast or lunch or dinner with him. To not tell any siblings, (he never thought to mention cousins, which is how the 'secret' got out), each of them thought that Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden, Rainbow, and others were 'his favorite' restaurant. :laugh2: It depended on the grandchild, not grandpa. He just liked spending one-on-one time with them. It started when the oldest was but 7, after a call to parents to ask if 'ok'?

When the niece's voice started breaking, the darling daughter left the choral podium to help her. Yep, oldest was eulogizing, the next oldest was leading the music. The middle boys did the readings. The two youngest, brought up the gifts and introduced the after communion speakers, all 12 of them! Yeah, dad had lots of friends that wanted to speak! LOL!

I guess my dad's funeral exemplified closeness, as did my mom's a few years earlier. I guess it also goes a long way to explaining how my brother and I can finish each others thoughts. Our parents instilled certain values in us, many of which we brought to our parenting, perhaps even moreso to our grandparenting or future grandparenting. Certainly influenced our decisions to call each other at least once a week and make sure that we do get together often.

Psychoblues
12-26-2010, 06:00 PM
That is such a WONDERFUL story, Kath!!!!! My family was never like that and my immediate family now is not that close. My kids all live far away and even though they all call sometimes every day we rarely see each other. A lot of my family, mom. dad, 2 brothers, all my aunts and grandparents are gone. I guess it's up to me and I do my best but we will never have what you have, Kath. You are so blessed for that.

Psychoblues

Kathianne
12-26-2010, 06:37 PM
That is such a WONDERFUL story, Kath!!!!! My family was never like that and my immediate family now is not that close. My kids all live far away and even though they all call sometimes every day we rarely see each other. A lot of my family, mom. dad, 2 brothers, all my aunts and grandparents are gone. I guess it's up to me and I do my best but we will never have what you have, Kath. You are so blessed for that.

Psychoblues

Thank you. I do know it and appreciate it. There's more here that happened last night just to confirm it. I am blessed.

It's important to know what blessings you've received and more important to give them to others. Peace.

Abbey Marie
12-27-2010, 12:55 AM
I have to agree, Psycho. Christmas beats Thanksgiving by a mile. We stuffed ourselves, and I am so grateful and blessed to be able to do all that cleaning, decorating and cooking. I know that the time will come when it will be too much for me, and that will be a sad year for me indeed.

And now we have the snow to complete the picture. :)

Psychoblues
12-27-2010, 01:12 AM
I have to agree, Psycho. Christmas beats Thanksgiving by a mile. We stuffed ourselves, and I am so grateful and blessed to be able to do all that cleaning, decorating and cooking. I know that the time will come when it will be too much for me, and that will be a sad year for me indeed.

And now we have the snow to complete the picture. :)

Why,,,,,thank you, Abbey!!!!!! I note your mood is Angelic. I hope it stays that way. Can I tell you a good story about Angelic? I was once for about 10 years in a pop 4 piece band with a fantastic female stand up singer. Our bass play was extremely undependable so we used various sit in artists to help us out. One, a large man with a very low, ;loud gravely voice and one helluva bass player asked me one night after a song had been called, "How we gonna play this, Dave? Blues or Angelic?" Can you see why I loved that man so much? He's been gone many years now but I still think about him and his wonderful personality almost every day and thank you for reminding me of him on this day!!!!!

I hope you never have that day when Christmas becomes too much but you may have a point. After my wife cooks she simply cannot clean up and neither can I until everything settles down, if you know what I mean!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues